Gun Shop MADNESS and the impossible to find AR.

PDA

Kymasabe
December 22, 2012, 02:42 PM
There's a gunshop near me that always has AR's, usually more they can sell. They usually have a good selection, varying manufacturers, M4's, flat tops, all kinds. And, off in the corner, they have a steel rack with about a dozen dusty 20" AR's that look very much like Vietnam War era rifles. They've been there for YEARS...literally. Once the panic started, they all sold in two days.
The gunshop was wall-to-wall people this morning, most of the racks were practically empty, buyers there buying 2 or 3 guns each. AR parts: gone. AR receivers: gone. Mags : gone. Buyers are stripping the walls bare. I've never seen anything like it. And not just AR stuff either. The AK's are leaving almost as quickly, and buyers were lined up at the handgun counter as well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Shop MADNESS and the impossible to find AR." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DFisher3112
December 22, 2012, 02:45 PM
Same for all the local gun shops here in Charlotte as well. I was lucky to find a whole giant box of Tapco polymer AK 30rd mags this morning and bought 4 of them at $13 each. Otherwise, parts, guns, and most all ammo are sold out.

browningguy
December 22, 2012, 02:48 PM
Glad I was prepared, I even had enough spare AR types to trade a couple the other day.

slabhead
December 22, 2012, 03:16 PM
Yeah, I'm glad I got all of mine before the hoarders. :D

joed
December 22, 2012, 03:38 PM
There are 2 types of people, those that buy when things are cheap and those that are foolish enough to buy in a panic.

bhhacker
December 22, 2012, 03:42 PM
The people in a panic are ticking me off.

Walmart 7.62x39 is going for about 24$ a box of 20 for FMJ. At the LGS Tula ammo in same caliber is going for 10$ a box of 20.

I of course just got a screamin deal on an SKS and hate to have a gun with no ammo, so im going to have to bite the bullet and buy a little.

rainbowbob
December 22, 2012, 03:44 PM
On Wed, after the announcement of new gun laws coming, I rushed out like so many other panic buyers and purchased my first AR - a Colt LE6920. When I called the local shop there were five ARs left - all different. When I got there, four were left. When I was through, three left. I'm sure those were gone within the hour.

The background check that normally takes ten minutes - took more than two days!

It pisses me off that the Demagogue-In-Chief can effect prices and availability simply by opening his pie-hole...but that's how it is now - and for the foreseeable future. :(

bikerdoc
December 22, 2012, 03:49 PM
Gonna be a lot of bargains come Jan when Mr panic has less in his paycheck, and in April when he has to pay uncle.

Shame on anyone that wasn't already prepared.

rainbowbob
December 22, 2012, 04:52 PM
Gonna be a lot of bargains come Jan when Mr panic has less in his paycheck...Shame on anyone that wasn't already prepared.

I don't think so. Anyone that needs to liquidate his AR for whatever reason will be selling into a market frought with scarcity. I'll bet you a box of ammo they WILL have a "new and improved" AWB ready for a vote in the next month or two - and it will include restrictions on purchases of .223/5.56 and 30-round mags.

I had been researching ARs for about two months (after first purchasing an AR.22) I had been planning on buying one in December (as a Xmas present to myself).

You're saying I should be "ashamed" because I had not yet made the purchase before an unforeseeable event occurred that gave the D.I.C. the opportunity to exploit?

Granted, we could have guessed he was waiting for such an event, and couldn't wait for those poor children's bodies to be lowered into the ground.

Still...shame is not something I will cloak myself in at this time. The gun-grabbers are slinging enough of that to go around (I've even been accused by several interweb morons of being complicit in the murders of those children).

Meanwhile, I'm about to go pick up a rifle that I (so far) haven't been able to find any ammo for - anywhere.

This is nuts.

gotigers
December 22, 2012, 05:07 PM
On Wed, after the announcement of new gun laws coming

no new gun laws were announced. A panel was announced that is run by Biden. lol. They are to suggest new policies at the end of Jan. By then this will be old news. Something will change, but i doubt the House will pass any ban. Edit: 26 GOP will have to flip to the lib side. Not in this political climate.

Gonna be a lot of bargains come Jan when Mr panic has less in his paycheck, and in April when he has to pay uncle.

yep, i will swoop in and buy 'em cheap. This isn't like 2009. 5 times the ammount has been sold than in 2009. most have no idea what they have and will never use them. It might be summer instead of Jan or April, but the market will be saturated.

Edit:I had been researching ARs for about two months (after first purchasing an AR.22) I had been planning on buying one in December (as a Xmas present to myself).

I've been messing with ARs for years. The panic has happened before and will happen again. The 94 AWB was passed with a Dem house and senate. They don't have the house.

Senators are already backing off the ban threats. Joe Manchin was one that backed off.

taliv
December 22, 2012, 05:20 PM
i don't think there will be a ban. i also realize there are some people who are young and just getting into guns at the WRONG time.

but i have several friends who over and over and over past 2-3 years would tell me they want an AR, ask me for advice on buying an AR have the money and opportunity to get a quality one and never do it. then they call me today and say they "paid too much for it" and bought "the last one in town".

shame is probably not the right word. they just don't make good decisions. no coincidence it's the same people who go into super-freakout mode over every conspiracy theory.

ronto
December 22, 2012, 05:20 PM
I was thinking of buying an AR several months ago, but being "Mr Practical" I put it off. It was more of a "want" than a "need". What the hell was I going to use it for? I have pump shotguns or HD, revolvers for SD, and levers and bolts for hunting. With this crazy buying frenzy going on now, I don't even "want" one any more. If the total breakdown of society ever occurs, I'll "need" a lot more than an AR.

TexasPatriot.308
December 22, 2012, 05:23 PM
you'd think people would learn from the last panic when osama got elected in 08. changes may be coming, but like someone else said before (and I have seen before) in a few months, bills will need to be paid and some panic buyers are gonna have to sell their ARs etc. at a loss. I aint buying nothing, sellin nothin for a while, damn sure not plinkin. hunting yes.

dcarch
December 22, 2012, 06:27 PM
When the Mosins are gone... then I'll be worried. :D

Kymasabe
December 22, 2012, 09:31 PM
When the Mosin's are gone....huh, funny you should mention that. I noticed at the local gunshop this morning that the Mosin rack that usually has 15+ Mosin's stacked in it, was down to just one lonely rifle. I'm telling you, you'da thought it was the end of the world, people were buying everything !!
I saw a guy pay way too much for an ugly-@ss spraypainted Remington 1100 shotgun, wasn't even there to get one, but last minute reached over and grabbed it and said "I'll take this too, just in case". Just in case of what? You run into a flock of pheasants on the way home? This is insane!

bikemutt
December 22, 2012, 10:47 PM
Same out here on the west coast of WA. I found a Ruger Gunsite .308 locally and just about got run over trying to pick it up. Took 2.5 hours to clear the stack of 4473s with the NICS. Anyway, got the rifle and grabbed a Glock 17 gen 4 before the locusts ate 'em all.

Crazy.

Forget ARs/AKs all gone.

avs11054
December 22, 2012, 11:04 PM
Gonna be a lot of bargains come Jan when Mr panic has less in his paycheck, and in April when he has to pay uncle

^This ^This ^This

I can't wait til early to mid 2013. Republicans have a majority in the house, and they'd need 7 republicans to cross lines in the senate before they lose their fillibuster. In the next week, there will be so much talk about the fiscal cliff that Newtown (unfortunately) will be old news come 1/1/13.

My hope is that sometime next year I can buy two 6940's or 6920's for $800 each or so and another .308 in an AR platfrom. Then when the next panic hits, I'll sell my .223 ARs an make some $.

husker
December 22, 2012, 11:07 PM
The only thing I'm buying is lots of popcorn.

Y_Knot
December 22, 2012, 11:30 PM
The only thing I'm buying is lots of popcorn.
I agree ! :banghead:

newglockguy
December 22, 2012, 11:46 PM
Even out here in California people are buying up AR/AK rifles up. I have enough mags for now and I plan on riding out the storm and picking up some sweet deals from those suffering buyers remorse :D

VINTAGE-SLOTCARS
December 22, 2012, 11:55 PM
I have had several AR'S thru the years. and sold them for a small profit. I haven't had an AR for about 20 years now. Before the last election I bought five AR lowers in the belief if Obama was re-elected he would try and take away constutional rights. I have built two into complete units. I wanted my children to have one rifle each and the opportunity to have a quality reliable rifle. In the future they will have a rifle they can use for sport , hunting ,target shooting and if needed protecting their families. I bought these components before the recent events and panic buying. I could not afford the prices of assembling five rifles at todays cost. I wish everyone who wants or needs a new rifle good luck and shop around at LGS for best prices.

adelbridge
December 23, 2012, 12:32 AM
The business world has been in the same pattern for the last 4 years, you think there is any connection? Let's see what gets tacked on to this fiscal cliff deliberation and gets stolen away at the last minute after some behind the scenes political horse trading. Went to the gun show today and there was an hour wait and a 200 yard line to get into whats known as the crappiest gun show in town. 5.56 $900 a case this morning. AR-15's are SELLING for $1800. It might be real this time.

788Ham
December 23, 2012, 12:37 AM
Theres a LGS up the road from me, 5 miles, they had a pallet of ammo for sale Friday, 7.62X39, $150.00 for 300 rounds. Today, the price has doubled! My neighbor went up there, going to buy a case, he said there were 2 guys that had 6 cases apiece, cash in hand, second trip this morning, crazies at their best!

cyclopsshooter
December 23, 2012, 12:45 AM
The big push today at my shop was handguns now that the black rifles are dried up. People are determined to get something and they are largely putting it on credit cards.

splithoof
December 23, 2012, 02:23 AM
What concerns me just as much as potential legislative change for the worse is all these folks who have no idea how to safely operate the weapons they are buying. I would hope that they at least properly secure them when not in use, and get some proper instruction in safety and proper operation. If they are the type who learn from movies and television, the trouble will be costly for sure.

Sam Cade
December 23, 2012, 02:30 AM
When the Mosin's are gone....huh, funny you should mention that. I noticed at the local gunshop this morning that the Mosin rack that usually has 15+ Mosin's stacked in it, was down to just one lonely rifle.

Same here.One of the proprietors of the good FLGS told me this morning that they had sold 28 mosins since Monday.:eek:

You could hardly get the front door open from all of the packing scrap lying on the floor.

nathan
December 23, 2012, 02:34 AM
WE hope nothing happens to these first time buyers who are not yet familiar with guns and were only taken by the hysteria to get a gun or two. Wow, what a madhouse i can just imagine.

wildchild2010
December 23, 2012, 02:45 AM
i don't think there will be a ban. i also realize there are some people who are young and just getting into guns at the WRONG time.

but i have several friends who over and over and over past 2-3 years would tell me they want an AR, ask me for advice on buying an AR have the money and opportunity to get a quality one and never do it. then they call me today and say they "paid too much for it" and bought "the last one in town".

shame is probably not the right word. they just don't make good decisions. no coincidence it's the same people who go into super-freakout mode over every conspiracy theory.
May not be a national ban, but I think not many states will have there own bans.

Kiln
December 23, 2012, 02:45 AM
I wish I'd have bought that Tec9 I posted about a week ago before they were snatched up and the only ones around went from $250 to $450. :cuss:

rainbowbob
December 23, 2012, 05:37 AM
Just an update on the madness out here:

I finally cleared the background check (after two days) and picked up my new Colt LE6920 at the local gun shop. They allowed me to purchase 100 rounds of .223 only because I had purchased a firearm from them. Their ammo shelves were nearly bare of that caliber - and most everything else.

I was told they are now paying around $2,400 for the firearm I paid $1,800 for three days earlier - and selling it for $2,800. If they can get them at all. No manufacturers are accepting orders.

Ammo in .223/5.56 is not available on line at any site I investigated. A friend embarked on a five-hour round-trip to try and score 1,000 rounds of professionally re-loaded ammo to divide between three or four of us.

I've heard that some Walmarts are still stocked (but don't have one nearby), and there are undoubtedly pockets of supply - but this scarcity and uncertainty seem unprecedented. Is it just me?

bikerdoc
December 23, 2012, 05:45 AM
LGS is sold out of everything. So last fri he put a sign on the door.
CLOSE UNTIL JAN 2 2013

Bartholomew Roberts
December 23, 2012, 08:49 AM
Edit: 26 GOP will have to flip to the lib side. Not in this political climate.

You are mistaking GOP for pro-gun. There are more than a few GOP Representatives & Senators onboard with bans. However in the House, there are 220 NRA A-rated Representatives, so you would have to pick up everyone rated less than A- and flip a few A- or above in order to pass legislation without the NRAs support.

itchy1
December 23, 2012, 09:23 AM
"I saw a guy pay way too much for an ugly-@ss spraypainted Remington 1100 shotgun, wasn't even there to get one, but last minute reached over and grabbed it and said "I'll take this too, just in case". Just in case of what? You run into a flock of pheasants on the way home? This is insane!"

LOL!!! This truly sums up the current situation to the tee! People are throwing their money away without a single, rational thought as to what they are throwing it at.

Chevelle SS
December 23, 2012, 09:25 AM
The Cabelas in Dundee MI is out of all AK's and Ar's and most other semiauto centerfire rifles plus they are out of all AR and AK mags.

wickedsprint
December 23, 2012, 09:36 AM
If the total breakdown of society ever occurs, I'll "need" a lot more than an AR.

ARs will be laying in the streets once people have to abandon homes and realize they can't carry everything.

readyeddy
December 23, 2012, 11:23 AM
Lots of preowned ARs will be for sale after we go over the fiscal cliff and taxes go through the roof. It's never pretty when the bubble bursts.

wriggly
December 23, 2012, 11:55 AM
Just an update on the madness out here:

I finally cleared the background check (after two days) and picked up my new Colt LE6920 at the local gun shop. They allowed me to purchase 100 rounds of .223 only because I had purchased a firearm from them. Their ammo shelves were nearly bare of that caliber - and most everything else.

I was told they are now paying around $2,400 for the firearm I paid $1,800 for three days earlier - and selling it for $2,800. If they can get them at all. No manufacturers are accepting orders.

Ammo in .223/5.56 is not available on line at any site I investigated. A friend embarked on a five-hour round-trip to try and score 1,000 rounds of professionally re-loaded ammo to divide between three or four of us.

I've heard that some Walmarts are still stocked (but don't have one nearby), and there are undoubtedly pockets of supply - but this scarcity and uncertainty seem unprecedented. Is it just me?

Rock River Arms is taking orders, and so are a few others that I am certain about. Just dont expect it anytime soon. 6 months maybe.

I used to work the sporting goods dept at my local Walmart, and I checked just yesterday, and they had no Tula, Federal Extra value packs or American Eagle .223 in the system, all are out of stock for now.

It will lighten up after the holidays a tad, dont get caught up in the mania, and waste your hard earned $$$.

couldbeanyone
December 23, 2012, 12:18 PM
These panic buyers are the kind of people who worry me. They are the kind of people we will probably have to defend ourselves against someday. If they can go this batcrap crazy over the president making a statement, God knows how they will conduct themselves if there was to be a truly life threatening disaster to occur.

bushmaster1313
December 23, 2012, 01:09 PM
It will lighten up after the holidays a tad, dont get caught up in the mania, and waste your hard earned $$$.

You might be right
But Holland never threatened a tulip bulb ban

readyeddy
December 23, 2012, 04:39 PM
I don't know which is more entertaining. Watching the panic buyers or the ramblings of antis.

avs11054
December 23, 2012, 05:03 PM
^LOL

Okiegunner
December 23, 2012, 05:33 PM
Well...

A few days ago I bought a few extra magazines

AK: 10 Tapco 30 rd. @ $7.25 ea.
75 rd. drum $82.00
2 30 rd. Bulgarian Circle 10 @ 31.95 each

AR: 8 30 rd. Troy Battlemags @ $18.00 ea.
4 30 rd. Pmags @ 22.95 ea.

I don't really consider this panic buying, just prudent (but, who knows??)

rainbowbob
December 23, 2012, 08:07 PM
These panic buyers are the kind of people who worry me. They are the kind of people we will probably have to defend ourselves against someday. If they can go this batcrap crazy over the president making a statement, God knows how they will conduct themselves if there was to be a truly life threatening disaster to occur.

I was in the market for my first semi-automatic rifle, and had decided to purchase an entry-level AR. It was instantly obvious to me that the Demagogue-In-Chief's comments would cause an immediate run on all things "AR" - including ammo - and that I would be out of luck if I didn't act quickly. I was 100% correct.

That makes me a potential threat to you in your mind, "couldbeanyone"?

skidooman603
December 23, 2012, 08:15 PM
Bunch of foolishness...The chicken littles are screaming...As usual...I will ride it out. :D

Ky Larry
December 23, 2012, 08:44 PM
I have an old AK, 10 30rnd mags, and several cases of Russian steel cased junk ammo. This current silliness is funnier than a drunk monkey.

On a serious note, I'm worried sbout the people who are panic buying. If they don't have the mindset to be prepared, I doubt they will learn to use their new weapon safely. They probably won't take the time or effort to get profesional training. Hopefully we won't see lots of N.D.s and A.D.s.

Magichelmt
December 23, 2012, 08:51 PM
I gave in and bought into the mess. I walked into Wally world near me that carries reloading stuff and they were almost picked clean. I did buy a pound of powder and 1000 primers. Not marked up so I bought. I had just bought some Pmags from AIM because they had free shipping for Xmas two weeks ago.

couldbeanyone
December 23, 2012, 08:54 PM
Rainbowbob, If you are the kind who convinced yourself that it was suddenly a matter of life and death that you have an ar-15, and were willing to give two or three times what it is worth, then I don't wan't to see how you behave when the supermarket shelves are all empty.

If you have been wanting an ar-15 and bought one at near normal price, or looked at the insane prices and said, I have lived this long without one and passed. Then no, you wouldn't worry me.

GlockFan
December 23, 2012, 09:12 PM
I saw a guy pay way too much for an ugly-@ss spraypainted Remington 1100 shotgun, wasn't even there to get one, but last minute reached over and grabbed it and said "I'll take this too, just in case". Just in case of what? You run into a flock of pheasants on the way home?

My god that made me laugh so hard.

Coal Dragger
December 23, 2012, 09:26 PM
I'll admit that my decision to buy a 2nd AR got pushed up in priority because of all this. I just rebuilt the one I already had a few days prior to Sandyhook. That morning I ordered some parts and magazines before the rush. A few days after that I managed to find a Colt LE 6920 SOCOM 2 at Cabela's and put it on lay away. They weren't price gouging unlike others so last night I finished the purchase and took her home.

I've been wanting a Colt for a long time, and even though I didn't want to buy this soon, I don't regret the purchase. Now I just need to order another Geissele trigger and the Colt will be pretty much set.

Mosbyranger
December 23, 2012, 09:26 PM
I went to the LGS Monday and picked up 6 Ruger Mini 14 20 rounders for $28 apiece. They were the last ones he had. There were some AK mags left, I wonder how many he has now?
MR

alman
December 23, 2012, 10:20 PM
Its madness in my neck of the woods . All ARs & AKs have at LEAST doubled in value ( if you can find one ). All ammo for "evil black guns" has disappeared . Even .22 ammo is very scarce . Took the opportunity to trade a bone stock 10/63 & 300 rds of 7.62 for a new M&P15-22 , reflex sight , 5 S&W mags , sling , fore grip , hard case & 2,500 rds of mini mags . My guy at the LGS sold the AK the next day .I dont want to know what he sold it for............

Ignition Override
December 24, 2012, 03:00 AM
Ten minutes ago there were lots of SKS on Gunbroker, and many listed at about $400.
There is a nice refurb. Albanian (3 bids) at only $275 and a good Russian at $495.

Even a NIB Norinco (1 bid) at $395 indicated that there is not much overall panic, other than for ARs, maybe AKs, Vz-58s, the "normal capacity" magazines and their ammo. Maybe most gun people aren't aware of GB, or don't trust business with strangers who have exc. feedback.

Many first-time buyers who don't plan to profit either never had the cash until now, or never wanted/needed these guns.
As in '09, this will lead to many guns gradually flooding the market as our economy limps along some more, and the hidden costs of ObamaCare become noticeable. The need to pay bills will override Possible new legislation.

BIGRETIC
December 24, 2012, 03:07 AM
Folks have lost their mind over P-mags on Fleabay.
236.00 for ONE mag.:what:

Xyr
December 24, 2012, 03:14 AM
I just hope it gets better in March when I get my tax return.

Agent1209
December 24, 2012, 03:20 AM
Same stuff in Texarkana AR. Heard a guy went into one of the smaller pawn shops and there was a Bushmaster with a tag that said $650.00, the owner refused to sell it to him at the old price. Ammo is sold out at accademy and Gander Mt., and Walmart. No AR's in sight and when you see one on Facebook, S&W sports going for $1,500.00. Stripped lowers going for $400.00. Even the new frontier lowers going for $250.00 and people are buying them. P mags are selling for $60,00 and GI mags are going for $40.00.

DRYHUMOR
December 24, 2012, 08:35 AM
It is a hoot looking at some of the prices online. And Pmags...... I had absolutely no idea I'd ever see them actually sell for just over $100 apeice. :eek:

About the only thing that is still somewhat reasonable are the M1as. And, I've noticed a lot of them moving. I did see 5 CMI mags go for about $100 as well.
EACH.

Varget is gone, small rifle primers, and most .22 bullets.

Anyone who may have been on the fence may have been prompted to buy. People with junk-n-crap are prob selling to do some upgrading. I figure a 6 month wait on an SBR probably went out to a year.

ETA I happened to be in PSA the other day when they sold their last stripped lower. The prices on stripped lowers is absolutely insane.

dcarch
December 24, 2012, 05:36 PM
Just went to my lgs today. No 308 or 5.56 ammo to be found. Period. Bulk 22 was completely gone, as well as every single AR, AK, SIG 556, M1A, and (gasp) even the Mosins. I was more than a little shocked. Fortunately, there didn't seem to be a run on Golden Tiger 7.62x39. Still plenty of boxes of that left, and still at the same price they were pre-panic. :D

justice06rr
December 25, 2012, 02:19 AM
I have not tried to step into my local stores during this whole hysteria. i'm sure the madness is rampant in every LGS, but i try not to be there when that happens.

The next gun show will probably be worse...

Coal Dragger
December 25, 2012, 04:22 AM
I just got 10 P-Mags today I ordered from Brownells, $120.90 shipped. I can't believe that someone actually paid over $260.00 for one magazine. For that matter I can't fathom paying $100 for one either.

For crying out loud put your backorders in and more than likely they'll get filled. Don't get gouged whatever you do.

I also took the Geissele SD3G out of the CMMG lower it was in and put it in the new Colt just as a test. You wouldn't think there would be a difference in trigger pull between two receivers buy you'd be wrong. In the CMMG it gave a pull with more take up and a longer reset, but it was still very smooth. In the Colt it gives a more crisp break and a shorter reset. Pull weight seems identical.

Balrog
December 25, 2012, 10:58 AM
I think a lot of people will be surprised about prices. I do not think they will be coming down this time. Until Obama leaves office, we will now be under threat of an AWB. I think it will be at least 2016 until there is any relief.

Also, those of you how are so sure we have nothing to worry about when it comes to a ban, you better be careful! The Republicans are extremely worried about tax increases.

What do you think the Republicans will do if Obama says he will compromise on the tax issue and not raise taxes on anyone making under $1 million if in return the Republicans agree to a new AWB???

The Republicans will throw gun owners on the bus to keep taxes unchanged. If you dont believe this, you arent paying attention.

Jasper1573
December 25, 2012, 11:20 AM
We were in an LGS in B'ham AL about 4 days ago. They had lots of ammo, cases of it lying around, but with no price on it. Lots of rifles, both new and used, bolt and automatic, and plenty of handguns as well, but the place was so full of people in the buy it now-pay anything mode, that it wasn't much fun looking around.

I agree with many previous posts...stay clear of the LGSs until this smoke clears. And if it doesn't, then we have moved into a new era of gun ownership.

Ignition Override
December 26, 2012, 01:39 AM
Whether to buy either an AR or components right now at inflated prices is a personal decision.

Only the sellers clearly benefit. Spend that hard-earned cash!
"Money...is a gas...grab that cash with both hands and make a stash..." Pink Floyd, The Dark Side of the Moon.

rainbowbob
December 26, 2012, 03:25 AM
A few "unprepper" (ant.: "prepper") friends and I were networking a search for .223 to share. I called the Washugal Cartridge Company and was told they were taking no orders but had some at the warehouse for sale. That's about an 8-hour round trip for me. I called one friend who called his brother (about half-way down the road). His brother called me to say he was on his way (about a 5-hour trip for him). I told him I'd cover whatever he could get.

Today he delivered 15 boxes of 20 rounds of Wolf steel cased 55 grain .223. He paid about $115 and I gave him $150 for his trouble. I'm not sure that steel cartridges are a healthy diet for my new Colt 6920. I'm also not sure my range allows it. I have 100 rounds of match grade brass to zero it in, but I'll save the Wolf for a stash.

Any thoughts from those who know about shooting Wolf steel?

bikerdoc
December 26, 2012, 08:44 AM
Wolf is OK, a little dirty, but they guarantee their ammo.

76shuvlinoff
December 26, 2012, 08:57 AM
I walked thru a gun show 2 days after Sandy Hook. The place was busy but not insane. I picked up a couple 30 rounders for $13.50 each and called it good.

Hokkmike
December 26, 2012, 09:07 AM
We are living through a dynamic time in American history. We can not afford to simply be spectators.

bjs1187
December 26, 2012, 09:12 AM
Shot a lot of wolf. Not that bad.

Ro1911
December 26, 2012, 09:53 AM
I'm buying in the panic lol, I just bought a marlin 30-30 336 for $200 at the LGS they were selling black guns very fast for 2X there value so I got a great deal on a slow mover lol. I did buy 2 Pmags but I was buying those anyway.

wnycollector
December 26, 2012, 10:47 AM
I watched a complete upper sell in less than two minutes over at the EE at ar15.com. The seller listed it at 7:59:30 and there was a "I'll take it" at 8:01!

UnitMaster
December 26, 2012, 11:36 AM
We are living through a dynamic time in American history. We can not afford to simply be spectators.
I agree that this is unprecedented. This time feels differently than other gun runs the past. The current president and senate has a distinctly tyrannical bend. Obama follows the adage of "never let a good crisis go to waste". He will use this bogus crisis to con the masses into a new ban that doesn't have an automatic expiration in it like the last assault weapons ban one did.

Under the "Silver lining in every cloud category"; we should take new shooters in this country any way they arrive. Ignorant buyers that overpay are welcome. (Heck Apple has been selling MAC's, to this market for 2 decades). Guns don't become obsolete every 6 years like a computer does. So even if someone pays twice what they should have for a gun that they may never be able to buy again, it may not be the worst decision they have ever made.

Ten years from now they can still use that gun to shoot apart that useless computer that they paid $1000 for.

benEzra
December 26, 2012, 02:11 PM
I'm not sure that steel cartridges are a healthy diet for my new Colt 6920. I'm also not sure my range allows it. I have 100 rounds of match grade brass to zero it in, but I'll save the Wolf for a stash.

Any thoughts from those who know about shooting Wolf steel?
I shoot almost exclusively Wolf and Tula in USPSA matches and for general plinking, and I have never had a failure of any kind. My rifle is a Rock River 16" midlength with 5.56mm chamber, chrome lined.

Wolf/Tula tends to be slightly underpowered, so undergassed guns running heavy buffers can have short-cycling, but most AR's run it fine and it won't hurt the rifle.

Dr. Sandman
December 26, 2012, 05:03 PM
and it won't hurt the rifle.

But, it may void your warranty.

Infidel4life11
December 26, 2012, 05:41 PM
I'm pissed because I saved up to get a new BCM EAG or DDV7 now I can't get my damn hands on one. My friends at a shop I part time at said they were on hold for 2hours doing background checks.

rainbowbob
December 26, 2012, 05:58 PM
I shoot almost exclusively Wolf and Tula in USPSA matches and for general plinking, and I have never had a failure of any kind. My rifle is a Rock River 16midlength with 5.56mm chamber, chrome lined.

That's encouraging. My new Colt is also chambered for 5.56 with a chrome-lined barrel.

Since posting, I've found a number of articles which say about the same as you. The only caveat I've read suggests that you thoroughly clean it after runnubg steel and before running brass. In some reported cases, the brass expands more fully than the steel and picks up some fouling - causing it to "stick" on occasion. That also reportedly less of a prioblem with 5.56 chamber.

Warp
December 26, 2012, 06:00 PM
1 week after Obama was re-elected
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/austin3161324/Firearms/20121116_123546_zpsaae98f17.jpg

1 week after the loser in CT attacked a school
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/austin3161324/Firearms/20121221_124408_zps8e86a383.jpg

Warp
December 26, 2012, 06:02 PM

I am disappointed to hear that you consider buying guns, magazines, and ammo to be "batcrap crazy".

:(

jungleking
December 26, 2012, 06:28 PM
Well, it should give a boost to the economy. The Pres said something and now it is a scarce commodity. He should become a salesman! took a few short sentences and made guns(at least the AR's and AK's) so popular that there are none left in stock anywhere. Just need to get him to talk about jobs now and maybe those will sprout up too.

BTW: the St. Louis area on both Missouri and Illinois side is bare. nothing to be found.

Late November I had begun my search into a Mosin Nagant. couldn't find those around here except at Cabelas for $150. Have no Idea what they are at now or if in stock. I was also looking into getting an AR lower receiver to build myself one over the next 6 months or so(spread the cost and customize to what I want). These would have been my first guns.

Going to keep stalking online sites and local shops for availability, and need to find a lgs that will accept transfers at a moments notice.

Manny
December 26, 2012, 06:33 PM
I kinda wish I'd gotten some P-mags before the craziness, but I have a decent amount of GI 20 rounders, my preference, and won't be left wanting. Beyond that, I suspected an Obama reelection would be game changing, just not quite to this degree this fast.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Shop MADNESS and the impossible to find AR." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!