Gun sights paint

PDA

Todd93843
December 22, 2012, 08:57 PM
Anyone have experience with Glow Inc, Glonation, or Glow-on for painting gun sights?

I just got a new GP100 3" and the black front sight is less than ideal. I'd like to try painting it, possibly with some sort of luminescent paint, for better target acquistion. I know a tritium sight would be best, but I can't afford one at this time.

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun sights paint" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
zorro45
December 22, 2012, 10:13 PM
I know everyone will scoff at me for this but I used Correct-type on my little Ruger LCP and it has stayed in place just fine. If you don't like it you can remove it with some MEK.

788Ham
December 22, 2012, 11:11 PM
I went to Wally World and bought one small bottle of bright white nail polish, and one small bottle of bright Blossom Red nail polish. I cleaned the front sight with acetone, the serrated part, then painted 2 coats of the white,letting dry between coats. When dried, I eventually put 2 coats of the red polish on, drying int between coats, haven't had any problems with seeing the front sight now. The white going on first , makes the other color standout more, give it a try. If it starts to wear off over time, nail polish remover will remedy that. Good luck.

Todd93843
December 23, 2012, 04:24 PM
I went to Wally World and bought one small bottle of bright white nail polish, and one small bottle of bright Blossom Red nail polish. I cleaned the front sight with acetone, the serrated part, then painted 2 coats of the white,letting dry between coats. When dried, I eventually put 2 coats of the red polish on, drying int between coats, haven't had any problems with seeing the front sight now. The white going on first , makes the other color standout more, give it a try. If it starts to wear off over time, nail polish remover will remedy that. Good luck.
That was my original idea, and I will be incorporating nail polish in my procedure. I was thinking some "glow" would help even more in low-light situations.

Thanks for the replies! Keep'em coming!

bikerdoc
December 24, 2012, 07:22 PM
I use white out.

rcmodel
December 25, 2012, 12:27 PM
Testers model enamel works very well and is available in a multitude of colors.

http://www.testors.com/category/135897/Enamel_Paints

Be aware that red is red in daylight, but is black in the dark.

rc

mrhill
December 25, 2012, 01:40 PM
I got some bright green and orange fingernail polish for the drugstore. It has been on my pistol for about 10 months and still works fine. I don't do alot of low light shooting. I couldn't afford the gunsite paint at the LGS.

fatcat4620
December 25, 2012, 07:29 PM
Look up nightsighters

19delta20
December 26, 2012, 08:33 AM
Canela's carries a sight glow in the dark kit that works very well for 10 bucks comes with a white base recommend a couple coats and then apply the glow in the dark part recommend a few good coats of that

It's not an assault weapon it's a Modern Musket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hey_poolboy
December 26, 2012, 08:54 AM
Ditto on the testors enamel. I usually just do two coats of the white, though. I find it stands out pretty well. Wipe it down with alcohol or acetone, and mask the sight off with painters tape. Application with a little pointed q-tip (the kind you find at craft/hobby stores) and you're good to go.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Todd93843
December 27, 2012, 03:50 PM
Look up nightsighters
I checked the Nitesites. It looks like a good product for sights that have recessed dots. My GP100 has a serrated ramp, though, and I doubt the sticker would stay attached very long.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm definitely going to be trying a white nail polish to start and see how that works. Then I may try on the glow products as well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun sights paint" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!