Paints that hold up against cleaning solvents

PDA

hAkron
December 23, 2012, 09:13 AM
I just picked up an S&W 4506 and the detent on the frame for the safety doesn't have the red dot. I would like to fix this because to me it makes the gun look unfinished (I've seen this on a lot of guns that have been duracoted and it is an aesthetic pet peeve of mine). Can I just get a bottle of testers model paint and a toothpick? Is there a product that would be better to use that would hold up to gun cleaning solvents?

If you enjoyed reading about "Paints that hold up against cleaning solvents" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GI_Jared
December 30, 2012, 11:27 PM
Check out brownells alumihyde products.

dtalley
January 2, 2013, 04:06 PM
I have used the wifes red fingernail polish before and it lasts for a while before I have to touch it up again.

Walt Sherrill
January 2, 2013, 04:44 PM
Use model paint or fingernail polish on the sights -- and you can also get a small bottle of clear coat (touch up paint) to put on that...

I like Testor's Fluorescent model paint -- it works in lower light than regular sights, and is great in bright sunlight. (Then put the clear coat on that...)

Still Shooting
January 5, 2013, 02:56 PM
I recently took a tip from another guy on Rifle Country, and colored the "engraved" (read "factory-stamped") S&W logo, and "Fire", "Safe" lettering on my MP 15 AR.

He recommended auto touch-up pens as the paint. After use and cleaning, it seems to be impervious to solvents. I worked with a little lacquer thinner and some Q-Tips to first clean the surfaces to be painted, and to wipe off any overpainting after the lacquer got tacky. Worked great.

If you enjoyed reading about "Paints that hold up against cleaning solvents" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!