.224 55gr SP Options

PDA

capreppy
December 23, 2012, 10:29 AM
So my buddy I have been telling to START reloading texted me yesterday for some help on starting.

I did a quick check and Midsouth where I normally get mine is COMPLETELY out. I checked all the usual suspects.

Where can I go? I suggested the Hornady 50gr Z-Max since it is available and relatively cheap.

Thoughts / suggestions?

Of course another issue is the fact that powder and primers at the cheaper places is gone as well. Only stuff left is the way over priced places.

If you enjoyed reading about ".224 55gr SP Options" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bluetopper
December 23, 2012, 10:34 AM
Gunbroker.com has plenty listed for sale.

T Bran
December 23, 2012, 10:49 AM
Midway still has a pretty good selection of 55 grain soft points available.
I am waiting on an order of Speer SP 55's that I put in on tues. The Dogtown bullets are a bit cheaper than the Speer but I have a known formula for the Speer and am to lazy to work up a new load to save a few cents.
Luck.

capreppy
December 23, 2012, 10:57 AM
I guess I should have stated, I am looking for sub $130/k options. The Missouth Varmint nightmares were $80/k. The Hornady are at the limit of what I call cheap at $120/k. I only suggested the Hornadys to my buddy because they are a known commodity to me.

Once you get into the $150 to $160 price point, I'd rather go with Hornady Match bullets.

kingmt
December 23, 2012, 11:24 AM
I love V-Max & would use Z-Max if I could ever find them on sale but they are always sold out by the time I find them.

Primers we're still at the same price test have been for the last three years at Powder Valley Friday. The stock was starting to get low tho.

capreppy
December 23, 2012, 11:27 AM
I checked PV yesterday and I think their sales caught up with their inventory. I use CCi and Fed as I have loads for these and pretty much all gone.

I use the 50gr Z-Max and over H322 and a Fed 205M I got 1/2 MOA during load development. I have another set of loads to tweak the charge a little more to see if I can tighten up the 1/2 MOA. I'll play some with seating depth after this round of charges.

capreppy
December 26, 2012, 08:09 PM
In case anyone is looking for 55gr SP alternatives. Midsouth just posted 55gr Varmint Nightmare X-Tremes Premium Hollow Point in stock. Not sure how much is left as my buddy bought 4k and I just bought 2k. These should shoot a little better than the SP and are less than $100/k so I'm ok with that.

Clark
December 26, 2012, 09:39 PM
Most rifles get their best groups for me with Vmax.
And they explode rodents.

rcmodel
December 26, 2012, 10:27 PM
+1

55 grain V-Max is unbeatable for accuracy in every rifle I own if you can afford to kill beer cans with them! Nosler Ballistic-Tip is the equal and are sometimes cheaper in the 250 bullet pack.

Powder Valley still has them in stock for $43.19.
http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

rc

If you enjoyed reading about ".224 55gr SP Options" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!