NRA...LaPierre, Keene...old fogeys?

PDA

GiorgioG
December 23, 2012, 11:48 AM
Hey folks - this isn't meant to be incendiary or disrespectful, but as a guy in his mid-30s, LaPierre & Keene just seem to come across as old fogeys that are out of touch and as such don't help our cause.

I respect my elders and I'm in no way disparaging them for their age and am thankful for what they've done for many years in furthering our cause...however these two guys have zero charisma and seem like 2 grumpy old men. As a result I think that's how many people see the NRA as a whole.

Anyone else agree/disagree? What's the NRA's process for electing these guys (if such a process exists.)

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "NRA...LaPierre, Keene...old fogeys?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sam1911
December 23, 2012, 12:29 PM
How about Chris Cox. He's a lot younger, and so baby-faced that he'll look 18 until he's 80.

Blondie
December 23, 2012, 12:36 PM
I agree with Sam. I've seen Chris Cox speak in person and he comes across well.

Whoever it is, they need to be personable and approachable. Reagan was an "old fogey" but he was funny and articulate. We need to paint a positive picture of pro-gun americans.

Ole Coot
December 23, 2012, 12:37 PM
In my late '60s and no kid I think they did as well as could be expected in the "enemy" camp. Attacked on every side they didn't lose it as I probably would trying to get a simple fact across to people who are far from open minded. The MSM is against every gun owner and the assault(so called) weapons ban, mag cap. are excuses for a total gun ban. I hope not in my lifetime. My family are all gun owners and vets. It won't be pretty.

fdashes
December 23, 2012, 12:43 PM
I don't believe it's an age issue at all. It is more a personality and public speaking issue. I do agree that the two don't have what we need,,a great communicator.

gc70
December 23, 2012, 01:15 PM
Hey folks - this isn't meant to be incendiary or disrespectful, but as a guy in his mid-30s, LaPierre & Keene just seem to come across as old fogeys that are out of touch and as such don't help our cause.

LaPierre and Keene are not hired to be rocks stars and make teenage girls swoon, but to influence members of Congress - mainly the leaders of the political parties in Congress.

The leaders in Congress are Harry Reid, Mitch McConnell, Nancy Pelosi, and John Boehner. In that bunch of old fogeys, Boehner is the only 'youngster' under 70.

Nevertheless, it would have probably been better if a polished spokesperson had read the statement at the NRA's press conference.

bushmaster1313
December 23, 2012, 01:25 PM
Seriously

We could use a woman as the spokesperson
Someone who looked like a grandmother

Sam. Colt
December 23, 2012, 01:28 PM
The instructions for electing officers are in the bylaws you received as part of your membership package...

Geneseo1911
December 23, 2012, 01:57 PM
The instructions for electing officers are in the bylaws you received as part of your membership package...

This is true....but I don't remember anybody ever running against Wayne...what's up with that?

And let's get Chris Cox out in front of the media. He makes enough money to take the heat, and if he speaks as well as he writes, he would own them.

Whatever, we do....let's not get ANYONE from American Rifleman TV...

ETA: Don't get me wrong, I like Wayne, and I like the direction NRA has been going since I've been paying attention, sometime in the mid 90's. It just seems odd. I guess so long as the Board thinks he's doing a good job he'll stay in place. Anyway, now is not the time to be worrying about it. If we didn't think our leadership was up to the task, we should've done something about it before now.

Prince Yamato
December 23, 2012, 02:04 PM
The trouble is that while Wayne is correct, his image doesn't work well in our "Logan's Run" culture, where if you look older than 30, you're considered quaint and mostly useless.

bsctov
December 27, 2012, 08:34 PM
Chris Cox and his lobbyists are the teeth of the NRA. Proud of their work thus far.

Houser52
December 27, 2012, 11:13 PM
I was at the 2010 NRA Convention and heard most of the speakers. Beck, North, Gingrich, Bolton, Pence, Thune and Borbour which all did a fantastic job of getting the point of the 2nd Amendment across. All of them were very articulate and great speakers, especially Newt Gingrich.

I wish they would all join in with the NRA now and help use keep the 2nd Amendment in tact.

Saddlebag Preacher
December 27, 2012, 11:33 PM
Yep, we are living in the age prophesied by those great gurus named "Living Colour", namely the "Cult of Personality"

Oops, showed my MTV when they played music videos age....:rolleyes:

It isn't age that matters, it's conviction about our rights. I don't care as long as they articulate our rights correctly. :scrutiny:

Just my humble opinion...;):D:uhoh::eek::neener::p:cool: (wife just said to act my age and stop with the smiley face thingys)

DammitBoy
December 27, 2012, 11:36 PM
LaPierre comes across as a skeezy used car salesman - it has nothing to do with his age. Hell, I'm as pro-gun as it gets and I can't stand him.

2ifbyC
December 27, 2012, 11:55 PM
I agree that while Wayne may not be the master of debate and is not a polished orator, now is not the time to disparage him. He will be attacked in just about any news media in which he participates. Reid and Pelosi have been in the media business far long than Wayne and to characterize them as effective communicators would be ludicrous.

The battle will be won in Congress, not on some hard left “news” show with an anti-gun agenda; David Gregory is a testament to this sentiment. Wayne should limit his exposure because we have more to lose than gain by the media’s unwillingness to engage in true debate.

Let’s pull together and demonstrate our resolve while the anti-gun bills hit us at the beginning of the year. Otherwise, we will appear to have a fractured and divided purpose. The strategy he laid out is a good one: let emotions cool, take focus off of guns as the paramount solution, and use school security as an effective alternative.

You’ll have plenty for time to get rid of Wayne in the future for whatever peccadillo you favor.

Old Dog
December 28, 2012, 12:01 AM
Wow, y'all sure present a united front in this thread.

So: how many of you actually vote in the NRA elections?

if you look older than 30, you're considered quaint and mostly useless.

Heck, just put me out to pasture then. I must look older than 30. Kinda too bad us old guys have most of the money, are mostly in charge of everything, and know a heckuva lot more than a lot of the kids under 30 ...

1911 guy
December 28, 2012, 12:21 AM
I'm in my late thirites and have come to a conclusion. My generation and every generation after us has come to expect entertainment. A cogent, rational argument with clear presentation of facts does nothing if we aren't entertained. As a generation, we have sixty second attention spans, anything that happened before we, the chosen generation, were born is irrelevant. I mean, we're the center of the universe, right? This is why the left is winning the argument right now and able to set the terms of the debate. They play to the cult of personality and entertainment, offering quips and soundbytes, logic be damned for the devils work it is.

Frankly, I don't give a rats **** if he was a hundred and forty years old. He did a decent job given the circumstances he was placed in. He was reasonable, rational and cogent. We didn't agree one hundred percent with everything he said, video games come to mind, but he made a logical case why another awb would be a failure just like the last one. But we'll call him an "old fogey" because we weren't ENTERTAINED.

And I wonder why some of my closest friends are at least twenty years my senior. They THINK for themselves. But I may have to ditch them because they don't entertain me.

Sarcastic rant mode off.

Heh. The software edited a non-swear word. I'll leave it since I find it, well, entertaining.

MICHAEL T
December 28, 2012, 01:15 AM
My worry is NRA will sell us out they did it once they will do it again. Their willing to debate You don't debate a right in the Constitution . You fight.

As far as Wayne He looks more like a sleaze ambulance chasing lawyer on back of phone book.

Isaac-1
December 28, 2012, 01:25 AM
I have been saying it for the last week or more, the face of the NRA needs to be diverse, men and women of all colors and walks of life, being constantly represented by "old white men" is not in our best interest.

mljdeckard
December 28, 2012, 01:25 AM
I'm just fine with Wayne.

I remember vividly when Tom Gresham beat up Cox for taking excessive credit and calling the NRA the 'tip of the spear'.

Old Dog
December 28, 2012, 01:30 AM
Gosh, and no one's even stepped up to answer my question about whether they vote in NRA elections.

Makes me wonder how many of you who bitch about Obama actually got out and voted ...

Sorry we old fogeys can't communicate with you youngsters -- I guess 'cause we can't provide you pretty, polished 20-somethings with big white teeth entertaining you while a hideously loud bass rythm pounds in the background ... Sorry our message only resonates with people capable of listening, who possess actual critical thinking skills, rather than chuckleheads attracted to flash, loud music, bling and trendy sound-bites.

1911 guy
December 28, 2012, 01:35 AM
I've never failed to fill out a ballot, Old Dog. I even mail them!

Isaac-1
December 28, 2012, 03:16 AM
Just to clarify I am white and my hair is as much gray as anything else these days, but I still feel we need a set of younger multiethnic faces for the NRA if we are going to win.

Alaska444
December 28, 2012, 03:23 AM
Sorry, as a 54 yo old fogey myself, it is not the presenter but the message that matters. Once again, I am not a member of the NRA and I don't feel that they are my representative anyway. Not too happy with the folks in D.C. but the NRA is not going to vote on anything. It is congress that has that duty. That is where we need to focus.

Sam1911
December 28, 2012, 07:55 AM
Arguing that the head of an organization that is the most powerful voice for our right to bear arms somehow isn't the right guy for the job because you think he looks like a used car salesman is just daft.

If you go to DC and you meet ANY of the people in politics, or in the lobbying organizations who work to promote various agendas to the elected officials, they all have a certain look. Personally, I HATE that $4,000 suit, pedicured, coiffed, and loafered scene and all the schmoozing and glad-handing that goes with it. But that's how politics is done, and how it has been done (with minor variations on style) since representative government was invented.

If you don't like LaPierre, vote him out next time ... if you think there's someone who'll do a better job and is willing to take it. Until then, thank him for his work and be glad we have someone who's CAPABLE of doing what he does.

I couldn't, and YOU couldn't.

If you enjoyed reading about "NRA...LaPierre, Keene...old fogeys?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!