Stay away from the MicroVault!!!

PDA

Collector0311
December 23, 2012, 06:07 PM
I had to learn the hard way, please research further than I did BEFORE making your purchases.
I bought a MicroVault, a top opening, three digit, rotating digit selector, padded "safe" for my Jframe and LCR. I use it when getting out of my car, going into an "unarmed innocents zone" (gun free) and in my nightstand. It comes with a cable lock to secure to your seat mount in the vehicle.
To put it simply, there are pieces of the locking mechanism made from PLASTIC!!! Said plastic will break under minimum tension. I put my LCR in the safe with the little suede paddle holster, squeezed it shut, locked it, and snap! The rotating lever that fits into the frame to lock the safe is held in place by a tiny plastic....thing.
A. Why is there plastic involved in the construction of my safe? Let alone in the ONE part that moves the most and holds the most tension?
B. I fixed it with JB Weld and I'm pretty sure it's stronger now than it ever was.
C. Palm to face. I guess I just thought the people who make safes....would make them right. Wrong.
D. Any other suggestions??

If you enjoyed reading about "Stay away from the MicroVault!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MedWheeler
December 23, 2012, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the heads-up. I used to use a simple metal locking cash box (not the gray ones with the cash tray, but the black one with the lock cylinder instead of the flip-tab) to make my "cash drops" while delivering pizzas. The handle was certainly strong enough to cable-lock to the seat frame, and the box fit under the seat, out of sight. No push-buttons; the key goes on your fob.
I also used it when flying commercial with handguns riding along.

For use as a "car-stash" place for a gun, it's fine, but I wouldn't use it for "fast-access" secured storage.

Collector0311
December 23, 2012, 10:20 PM
Hey thanks MedWheeler, that's a great idea!

MedWheeler
December 24, 2012, 07:04 AM
^^ I looked at it again; it's a "SentrySafe", black, pretty solid, and I got it at Wal-Mart.

rhinoh
December 24, 2012, 07:03 PM
I have a Microvault that has been just ok. I agree the locks are weak. I also have two clones sold by Academy with their store brand name on them- they are MUCH worse.
On both the Academy ones the included cable with the crimped loop to fit over the lock surround, will not, made too small.

rodinal220
December 28, 2012, 10:48 AM
I use these products for for securing small pistols.The smallest is good for J frames and PPK size guns,nothing bigger.They are way more sturdy than the average pistol locker bedside types.I put lithium batteries in the models with the electronic locks.I never carry the key with me for car use.They can be hidden,bolted and other forms of subterfuge used to conceal them in home or vehicle.

http://www.harborfreight.com/9-inch-x-6-inch-x-6-inch-digital-safe-94985.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/037-cubic-ft-electronic-digital-safe-93575.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/electronic-digital-safe-45891.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-drawer-safe-97644.html

FAS1
December 28, 2012, 11:08 AM
I had to learn the hard way, please research further than I did BEFORE making your purchases.
I bought a MicroVault, a top opening, three digit, rotating digit selector, padded "safe" for my Jframe and LCR. I use it when getting out of my car, going into an "unarmed innocents zone" (gun free) and in my nightstand. It comes with a cable lock to secure to your seat mount in the vehicle.
To put it simply, there are pieces of the locking mechanism made from PLASTIC!!! Said plastic will break under minimum tension. I put my LCR in the safe with the little suede paddle holster, squeezed it shut, locked it, and snap! The rotating lever that fits into the frame to lock the safe is held in place by a tiny plastic....thing.
A. Why is there plastic involved in the construction of my safe? Let alone in the ONE part that moves the most and holds the most tension?
B. I fixed it with JB Weld and I'm pretty sure it's stronger now than it ever was.
C. Palm to face. I guess I just thought the people who make safes....would make them right. Wrong.
D. Any other suggestions??

I think you are talking about a NanoVault by the lock description not the MicoVault. I think the MicroVault has its own deficiencies, but these little travel lock boxes tend to give people a false sense of security. The keyed version apparently is not to secure either, but 21ga steel isn't going to stop anyone for long.

Collector0311
December 28, 2012, 11:40 PM
FAS1 thanks for the correction! You are right, it is the nano vault.
And it actually was a Jframe I was using, but even my tiny paddle holster was too much for it *scrutiny*

rondog
December 29, 2012, 02:44 AM
Hey, they got your money....that's all they care about.

If you enjoyed reading about "Stay away from the MicroVault!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!