Help me get a 1911

PDA

Batty67
December 23, 2012, 08:09 PM
Okay, I've done a lot of searching and been to many LGSs and a few gunshows, and internet researchof course. But I thought I'd ask for some help from my fellow THR forumites.

Here are the features I'm looking for:

Full-length or commander
front and rear serrations
night sights (will be HD, could be carried, but NOT primary purpose)
Stainless or treated stainless (but prefer black or stainless, no two-tone)
Bobbed would fine
Disinclined to get a Kimber

Budget is $1200 tops. Prefer a new 1911.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me get a 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ColtPythonElite
December 23, 2012, 08:11 PM
Springfield if you want a good shooter. Colt if you want a good shooter and a heirloom.

Upstater
December 23, 2012, 08:21 PM
You could probably get it done with a Kimber LE model and stay within budget

surjimmy
December 24, 2012, 01:25 AM
Colt Talo, if your willing to spend just a few hundred more. You could get a like new Les Baer, and that's a whole different world.

marine 97-03
December 24, 2012, 03:39 AM
Sti. Trojan

CTGunner
December 24, 2012, 08:30 AM
I have been impressed with Springfield. I have owned 3 and all functioned reliably. The best was my range officer.

Batty67
December 24, 2012, 08:40 AM
Thanks all. I'm going to the Nation's Gun show in Chantilly, VA first-thing when it opens on Friday (I expect a frenzy of shopper and triple-priced ARs and hi-cap mags) and will likely leave with a 1911. So I'm kicking my research into overdrive.

Rinspeed
December 24, 2012, 10:32 AM
$1200 is an easy price point to suggest a 1911. Used TRP or Valor will get my vote every time. Saving up a few hundred more to get into a used Baer makes even more sense as surjimmy said.

browningguy
December 24, 2012, 10:41 AM
Commander length, bob tail, tritium night sights, scandium lightweight frame, nice matte stainless slide, most excellent maching on the whole pistol. It would be pretty close to your price point, I just picked this one up a couple of days ago and love it even though I've only been able to shoot a couple of mags through it. They have similar models with blued slide I believe.

Smith and Wesson 1911 SC:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/jcm9371/Smith1911SC.jpg

GLI45
December 24, 2012, 10:52 AM
At your price range you have a number of quality choices. I'm an STI fan and would encourage you to take a look at their website. They have several options that fit your shopping list. Top of the list for a full size would be the Trojan. In the commander size the Ranger is an excellent choice.

Skylerbone
December 25, 2012, 04:16 PM
DW Heritage. Forward cocking serrations will chew up a holster in a hurry, something to consider when you realize you want to carry it.

I don't tend to trade or sell as a rule but I'd suggest bringing along (if you have one) a $300 mule you don't use anymore to kick down the price a bit. If you can get to $1,000 even or a bit under with a trade you'll have money for leather if you spot something at the show.

Happy hunting.

powder
December 25, 2012, 04:22 PM
Gun Broker, Northern Firearms: SIG TAC OPS 1911 with threaded barrel, 5 mags, and roto-holster $970, free shipping and no CC fees. Hows that for your itch? $230 left for ammo. buy.

tuj
December 25, 2012, 06:10 PM
You can get a well-running bullseye 1911 for that price on the second-hand market. I know you stated you preferred new, but why not let someone else sort it all out for you? I got a used Baer in that price range and there are lots of other deals there as well.

jbm0207
December 26, 2012, 10:13 PM
Sig carry nightmare?

Seems to have everything you want.

Southside830
December 26, 2012, 10:47 PM
^^^^ this. I got a 1911 for Christmas and it was a Sig carry nightmare. Sig is hard to best right now for the $$$. My cousin has a traditional sig carry and it is one of the tightest 1911 I've ever shot. Shooting his gun made me a believer. Also has a nice crisp trigger. Get the traditional model if you want the classic profile. The regular Sig 1911 have a more squared slide profile. Be aware the sigs and S&W have external extractors which work great but the purist prefer internal. As someone above mentioned northern firearms on gun broker has killer deals on a sig 1911. I got my carry nightmare from them with 3 mags holster and free shipping for 899$ !!! With sig you get a match barrel match trigger and front and back grip etching. Lifetime warranty. Hard to beat.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me get a 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!