looking for a nice .25-06 bolt gun

PDA

Savage Shooter
December 23, 2012, 11:30 PM
I have decided i need a nice bolt gun and i have choosen to get it in .25-06 as i wanted something extremely flat shooting to use mainly for coyotes. My budget is like 750 on the high end. I want it to be a wood stock and blued and come in 25-06 thats my requirement for it other than that I am not too picky :D. I'm open to any recommendations and user reviews from you guys. thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "looking for a nice .25-06 bolt gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sdhunter
December 23, 2012, 11:34 PM
I have pretty much spent my whole life around the ruger m77 mkII, 22-250,270, that my dad owns and my own 7mm rem mag. All these guns have performed flawlessy and dont break the bank. I have not tried but have heard great things about the new ruger american rifle. just my 2 cents. I had a 25-06 in a single shot and am still absolutely sick about selling it. I still believe it is one of the best whitetail and antelope rounds out there.

Abel
December 23, 2012, 11:58 PM
An M70 Sporter:

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=001C&mid=535108

bobinoregon
December 24, 2012, 12:31 AM
I have a 111 Savage in 25-06 I bought used that I will never part with, one of my favorite shooters. Can't beat them for the price either .

Savage Shooter
December 24, 2012, 02:05 AM
I have been looking at a weatherby vanguard anyone have anything on them. I had no idea about winchester 70's being that cheap i would love to have a pre 64 one are these new ones any good. I like the looks of that sporter and the featherweight.

Abel
December 24, 2012, 06:40 AM
I have been looking at a weatherby vanguard anyone have anything on them. I had no idea about winchester 70's being that cheap i would love to have a pre 64 one are these new ones any good. I like the looks of that sporter and the featherweight.

The new ones are even better than the pre-1964 rifles! The only reason that I suggest the Sporter over the Featherweight is that the Featherweight has a 22" barrel versus the 24" on the Sporter. On a 25-o6, I'd prefer the 24". I found a Featherweight for $699 and I see new Sporters around for $735 or so.

rayatphonix
December 24, 2012, 10:08 AM
Tikkas are also very nice. I took four deer with mine this season.

dubbleA
December 24, 2012, 11:27 AM

The 25-06 was'nt a commerical cartridge until 1969 so you'll have a hard time finding pre 64 chambered in it unless it's been re-barreled :)

petrey10
December 24, 2012, 11:36 AM
buy a steven 200 in 25-06... buy a new stock that you like.... get the rifle basix trigger.... and buy the best scope you can... you will have a great shooting Savage 110 action with one of the best triggers you can get.

tahoe2
December 24, 2012, 03:40 PM
savage bolt rifles are tack drivers, pre accu-triggers need a trigger replacement, but overall a great value, and that format can easily swap barrels at home with the right tools(barrel nut wrench, go-no go gauges, etc...). I had a 110 in 270 Win many years ago (pre accu-trigger) that would put 5 shots in a quarter @ 100 yards, that was a factory stock rifle, wish I still had it.

Savage Shooter
December 24, 2012, 05:40 PM
I saw the barrel length on that featherweight and yes i would prefer the 24" i here it is better for this cartridge. I wasn't aware the cartridge wasn't made before 64 but non the less id still love to have a pre 64 winchester regardless of the caliber.

I know savage is a good gun i was just looking to go a different direction.

AABEN
December 24, 2012, 07:47 PM
Any Savage will do they are a very good guns I like there new trigger. I like the fiber stock for it will not swell in the rain or change. GOOD LUCK

joed
December 24, 2012, 07:59 PM
The .25-06 has been my favorite cartridge for 36 years now, you picked one of the best in my opinion.

If I were in the market for another my first choice would be a Winchester, but not the featherweight. The .25-06 needs a 24" barrel and 26" is better.

I owned a Ruger in .25-06 but just didn't like the accuracy. I've owned 2 Savage rifles and probably won't own a third. Savage makes a decent rifle but the two I owned were flawed in one way or another. One couldn't feed the next round if your life depended on it and the other would string shots.

So I don't know what my other choices would be.

Kachok
December 24, 2012, 10:09 PM
I have owned half a dozen Savage rifles they have all performed perfectly. Only thing I don't like is their 25-06 is a 22" tube, Winchester offers a 24" on their model 70 Featherweight which is also a nice rifle.

Savage Shooter
December 25, 2012, 12:07 AM
Yes i have been reading and I'm looking for a 24" barreled version so it's looking like a winchester sporter, weatherby vanguard s2 or the dbm, or browning a bolt medallion.
The winchesters got a 24" and is 7lbs 4oz and so are the weatherbys and the brownings got a 26" and it's only 6lbs 14oz. I've narrowed it down to these it will probably come down to price and user reviews really. I like the idea of the weatherby vanguard s2 dbm it would be nice if i needed to get the rifle loaded quick. I also like the idea of the browning being so light but it doesn't have the same magazine capacity as the others.

Lloyd Smale
December 25, 2012, 08:01 AM
ive had a half a dozen over the years. Its a great round. the two i have now are a #1b and a rem bdl. Both are exceptional shooters but i kind of prefer the #1. Its a bit more compact even with its 26 inch barrel and gives a bit of an edge with the 26 inch tube without the extra lenght of a 26 inch bolt gun. guess if i had to pick a bolt gun and had that buget id look for a rem 700 or win 70. Sorry savage fans. I wont ever argue that there not some of the most accurate guns you can buy at any price and ive got a couple myself but in my opinion there dog ugly. If we were comparing 400 dollar rifles id say go for it but im not spending 750 on a homely gun.

Robert
December 25, 2012, 11:23 AM
Another vote for Winchester. Mine is great. But get it bedded, the factory bedding is marginal at best. Some are fine, mine was not.

deerhunter61
December 25, 2012, 12:19 PM
May I recommend a Browning A-Bolt medallion. My wife bought me one for Christmas NIB for $650.00. I took it to the range a couple of days ago and it shoots great.

Savage Shooter
December 25, 2012, 10:24 PM
Having trouble finding a gun in stock anywhere that is reasonably priced budsgunshop is good priced but their sold out and gun broker has one winchester but i can't afford it. They have a few weatherbys but theres only one thats a dbm and it's overpriced to. I may just have too suck it up and buy the ones with the hinged floor plate but i just think that if I'm gonna spend this much i should get what i want. but you guys don't need to listen to my whining :D

Kachok
December 26, 2012, 12:31 AM
I hesitate to recommend the Browning, mine does not shoot any factory ammo worth a darn (really really bad) and it is pick as all getup on handloads too. It is a well made rifle though, mine just might be a fluke.

Savage Shooter
December 26, 2012, 10:13 PM
well i went to 4 !!! different gun stores today and only one 25-06 was to be found a howa. The stores are all but picked clean of most common ammo. I had been needing some .22lr ammo since before all this crap happened and i got lucky and one store still had a bunch left. I got remingtons new bucket of bullets 1400rds lol for 65.00 otd works out to 4.6cents a round not to bad. I think I'm gonna have to get into reloading lol.

nastynatesfish
December 26, 2012, 10:44 PM
I got my Remington bdl for 425 at a local shop used. You could get a 400 Walmart savage and spent 300 on a criterion barrel and have it done with. Or a used savage and a barrel for close to 600

Savage Shooter
December 27, 2012, 12:19 AM
Well i just found a weatherby vanguard dbm thats in my range i just emailed the guy to make sure it's a new series 2 one. I believe it is because it's brand new still has all the stickers on it. I can get it for 669 which is good price i believe not sure what the shipping is. I think i'll get it I'll have to go see my neighbor he's got an ffl and see when i can get it here:evil:

Texaszach
December 27, 2012, 12:18 PM
I love my browning a-bolt in .30-06 and it looks as good as it shoots. It puts federal blue box into nice little clusters.

I also love my weatherby vanguard in .243, though it isnt the s2 version.

I like these rifles so much I am considering selling my savage...

If you enjoyed reading about "looking for a nice .25-06 bolt gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!