Tucson, Arizona

PDA

cidirkona
March 4, 2004, 03:55 PM
Anyone down for a desert shoot?

-Colin

If you enjoyed reading about "Tucson, Arizona" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sumpnz
March 4, 2004, 04:08 PM
How about this Sunday? I haven't dented any primers in a while (couple months at least), and I think it's time to fix that :D

Where do you usually shoot? I have a membership at Desert Trails, but have been thinking about checking out Three Points. Or were you thinking about a wildcat range?

cidirkona
March 5, 2004, 04:10 AM
Hmm, well this Sunday my fiance will be heading back towards Flagstaff where she lives (comes down for the weekend) in the early afternoon so I guess that depends on what time...?

I ususally go to Jensens west for pistols indoors and Vail mining holes for rifles and pistols and stuff.

-Colin

denfoote
March 5, 2004, 07:11 AM
If the friggin gas prices wern't so bloody high, my wife and I would drive down and join you!! :(

sumpnz
March 5, 2004, 12:15 PM
I ususally go to Jensens west for pistols indoors and Vail mining holes for rifles and pistols and stuff.
Vail mining holes? Not familiar with that, but as I live in Vail that might be pretty convienent.

I was thinking sometime early afternoon, say between 1-3PM for getting started. That would let me go to church, and in the case of 2PM or later would also let me go home and eat and change clothes first.

I'll bring Miss Kaysa (my Swedish Mauser) and my Ruger P944, plus probably my 22 rifle. I don't have any (non-corrosive) ammo for my Turkish Mauser so I'll probably leave her at home.

cidirkona
March 5, 2004, 03:22 PM
If you head south on Vail from the freeway, about half of a mile past the giant wooden telephone poles, there is a dirt road that heads off west and into the desert about 1/4 to 1/2 of a mile. At the end of that road there is a large mining hole as a backdrop with a good thick layer of brass on the ground.

Also, if you head down the frontage road from the Vail turnoff, it will eventually lead pretty far away from the freeway, and there are plenty of mining holes out there. Bring some good boots because some of these are pretty hard to climb out of. :)

I'll have to see what my fiance says about this Sunday, but I'll get back to you. We could push it back a week or three as well if you want to get a bunch of people to go out there with us?

-Colin

sumpnz
March 5, 2004, 03:49 PM
I'm going to go shooting this weekend regardless (I need to dent primers, dangit :D ) but if you want to push back a meet, that's cool by me. However, I can't push it back too far as my wife is due to give birth to our first (a girl) in exactly 4 weeks. Next weekend for sure will work, 3 weeks from now will be pushing it. Otherwise, early May will be my next opening (a month after the baby's arrival).

Let me know what works for you. The more the merrier.

I live south of the freeway near Calle Bacardi and Calle Rinconado, so those mining pits sound like the best place for me for us to meet.

cidirkona
March 5, 2004, 08:36 PM
Hahahh, alright, well I'll have to see if my fiance is willing to go out shooting. She doens't like it too much but tolerates it. I'll PM you.

-Colin

WhoKnowsWho
March 6, 2004, 12:23 PM
Dang mining holes... I remember being in a really good one that the Sheriff who found us all there told us to never show up there again since it was private property, with no signs though, it was assumed to be private. If we showed up again (he wrote down our license info) he would arrest us for trespassing, on the land with no signs...

I didn't think there were any more like that though... cool.

I can't go this Sunday or I would join in the fun too. Have a good time!

cidirkona
March 6, 2004, 04:51 PM
There are ALOT of mining holes out there and almost all of them have plenty of brass in them.

-Colin

sumpnz
March 8, 2004, 11:54 AM
I didn't even make it out there on my own this past weekend :mad: .

Colin, you have a PM.

Who's up for this coming weekend? I have Friday off, plus Sat. and Sun. If people don't want to meet at the mining holes, please suggest another spot, otherwise, the mining holes will be it.

cidirkona
March 8, 2004, 12:40 PM
Next weekend I'll be in lake havasu city for a show I'm playing for Spring Break with my band (http://www.hollowedhighrise.com). I was going to suggest the 20th - the saturday after, or maybe the afternoon of the 21st to give two weeks for more people to learn about it and come along.

I haven't been to any of the outdoor ranges in town yet, just indoor ones for pistol shooting.

-Colin

sumpnz
March 8, 2004, 01:14 PM
The 20th would work for me. Mining holes at Vail, or Desert Trails (they have 25 yard pistol and 100 yard rifle lanes, all outdoors) would work best for me.

Who else from Tucson is up for that date? The 21st would work too on my end, but I'd rather go on the 20th.

cidirkona
March 8, 2004, 03:28 PM
Yeah, the 20th is also better for me, no church in the morning so an all-day shootfest to make my shoulder nice and sore is in order...

-Colin

cidirkona
March 8, 2004, 05:38 PM
Damn! My brother's taking a bunch of bear-snacks camping that weekend, and the weekend of the 12th, I'll be out of town... sh*tty... looks like just the ol' pistol for me if I go the 20th.

-Colin

sumpnz
March 8, 2004, 05:46 PM
I don't mind letting you try out Miss Kaysa, and if I get some ammo for the Turk, you can try her out too (haven't decided on a name for the Turkish Mauser yet). Plus I'll have my .22 rifle and my pistol. So don't despair, long guns will be available. If we can get any other people to show up as well there'll be plenty of guns for us to all to try out.

WhoKnowsWho
March 8, 2004, 06:05 PM
I might be able to make it the 20th, 21st would be better though.

cidirkona
March 8, 2004, 07:03 PM
The only 8mm I have is the milsurp silvery probably corrosive-as-hell stuff...

-Colin

sumpnz
March 8, 2004, 07:45 PM
I have 3-400 rounds of Turk 8mm vintage 1949. I don't shoot it anymore because it's sooo dirty that corosive or not I won't shoot it anymore. I can't get my rifle's bore clean to save my life (you'd think 20 passes with a Hoppes #9 soaked BoreSnake, numberous passes with a bore brush, plus about 120 patches and the bore would sparkle, but noooooooo, the patches still come out black :banghead: ).

I'm actually thinking seriously about using David Tubb's Final Finishing System on that rifle. It's supposed to reduce fouling as well as help out accuracy. The only reasons I hesitate is that, for one, I'm not a reloader and that kit is just the bullets, so I'd have to get sombody else to load them for me. That and my Turk does have matching numbers all the way around so I'm reluctant to do anything that accelerates the wear on the bore.

Come on Tucsonans, who else is up for March 20/21. Let's try to get at least a half dozen (Colin, me and WhoknowsWho makes 3).

cidirkona
March 9, 2004, 12:01 AM
I know I've seen at least ten people on here from Tucson... its just a matter of finding them!

-Colin

WhoKnowsWho
March 9, 2004, 06:26 AM
and if I get some ammo for the Turk, you can try her out too (haven't decided on a name for the Turkish Mauser yet).

I'm going to the gun show this Sunday, after my 12 hour work shift... should be a nice daze, but if I see some non-corrosize 8mm ammo, I will keep an eye out and pick up a box or two if I see a good price so we have it if we all meet. Miwall will be there so they should have some Olympic 8mm or some of their new reloads.

Heck, I have a box of 30-06 and no rifle for that either... but that is waiting for me to buy a Garand. :D

sumpnz
March 9, 2004, 12:10 PM
WhoknowWho, that will be cool if you can get some. My $$ are drying up for the moment (I owe the Feds and State this year, no refund :cuss: ), so I can't go to the shows, or buy much ammo right now (I can chip in on any you buy though), otherwise I'd meet you there. Money should be getting better in a month or two, so I'm glad I've got some ammo already (120 rounds of 6.5x55, 400 of .40S&W, and about 1000 .22lr).

cidirkona
March 9, 2004, 03:21 PM
Those aim surplus 1000 round cases are looking might tastey...

Maybe even one of those nogants... I'd wanna try one of those out first though.

-Colin

WhoKnowsWho
March 9, 2004, 06:43 PM
Maybe even one of those nogants... I'd wanna try one of those out first though.

You mean the Mosin-Nagant rifle? I have one you could try, but it is sporterized with a polymer stock... so no bruise inducing steel butt plate. I actually haven't shot it since I got the stock last year... :(

cidirkona
March 9, 2004, 06:58 PM
Hmm, well that's what I'd do to it if I got one...

What's that chambered in? 7.62x54? I may have to pick some up (non-corrosive of course).

-Colin

WhoKnowsWho
March 10, 2004, 02:24 AM
What's that chambered in? 7.62x54?

Yup!

Oh yeah, can you post a map to the particular mining hole you are aiming for so I can plan my route? Don't want to get lost! :D

Hey denfoote, why don't you rent a Civic? After rental and gas (2 gallons? :D) to refill it back up, I think the fun you could have would easily out weight the costs!

cidirkona
March 10, 2004, 04:26 AM
...and get insurance on it so we can have a fun little target .... hahah j/k

-Colin

sumpnz
March 10, 2004, 01:25 PM
denfoote, think you can make it? Where in the "vast Sonoran Desert" do you live?

I know there's other AZ members out there. I really think it would be more fun if we could get half a dozen or so of us together. I'll see if I can figure out a few more potentials and PM them to point them to this thread.

cidirkona
March 10, 2004, 04:56 PM
Here is a little map I made of the Old Vail mining hole.

Treasure hunt anyone??

-Colin

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=859093

cidirkona
March 10, 2004, 05:11 PM
You can find plenty more here, although the drive is a bit farther.

-Colin

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=859131

WhoKnowsWho
March 12, 2004, 02:41 AM
Thanks for the map, looks easy enough, almost freaked when I saw 7 mile hike! :what:

Did we pick the 20th or the 21st though? I looked back and it seems like we never said a date for certain. It would probably help our gathering if we put a post in "General" to go check out the Rally Point for an Arizona shoot too.

cidirkona
March 12, 2004, 03:05 AM
Either day is ok for me, although Sunday I wouldn't be able to go out until after noon due to morning church...

I've been PMing the link to this thread to Tucsonans I see around posting.

:D

-Colin

Lennyjoe
March 12, 2004, 10:06 AM
Im in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just let me know what day. Either is ok for me.

I know WhoknowsWho works 12s on Friday so I think Sunday works best for him.

Either way, I will pick up boo-koo ammo at the gunshow tomorrow.

Now, if we can get the Phoenix folks to join us. ;)

I drove up there in December.

sumpnz
March 12, 2004, 12:32 PM
Lennyjoe, great to you're coming too! Either day works for me, though as Colin said, it would have to be after noon if on Sunday due to church. WkW what say you? Sounds like with your work you are the one with the most restrictive schedule.

cidirkona
March 12, 2004, 12:38 PM
Let's make it the 21st then, early afternoon, 1 o'clock? 2 o'clock?

I'll get there early and set up some marking tape on the bushes to make the turn off a little easier to find.

As for now, my paycheck is screaming "Take me to Jensen's!!" :D

-Colin

sumpnz
March 12, 2004, 01:21 PM
the 21st then, early afternoon, 1 o'clock? 2 o'clock
Sounds good to me. Let's just say we'll be there from 1-6PM and people can come and go as they need to.

Lennyjoe
March 12, 2004, 03:12 PM
Sunday sounds good.

I will mark it on the calander.

Now I gotta buy more ammo at the gunshow tomorrow.

WhoKnowsWho
March 13, 2004, 09:05 AM
Sunday sounds perfect to me! Hopefully it's not too hot, or raining or something. (I can't believe it's raining right now!)

My wife will also most likely be there with me, though her schedule is in a state of flux, so I am not 100% sure, either way, her .41 Magnum Desert Eagle will be there! (but I only have about 100 rounds for it :( )

What else are you all going to bring? I really don't think I have space to bring everything, but I will definately bring the Mosin Nagant, AR-15, 1911s, SIG Pro, Desert Eagle, and a few .22s

What do you normally do for targets? We used to take jugs and stuff, I'll try and save mine for the week.

armoredman
March 13, 2004, 09:55 AM
Wish I could go - my days off are Monday/Tuesday. Really would like to try a mosin, since I found them for $50 recently! Long hike from up here in marana, too, but thanks anyway!

Lennyjoe
March 13, 2004, 10:20 AM
Guess I'll bring the Kimber Pro Carry II, S&W 1006 10MM, Browning Hi-Power and Glock 19.

Also, those of you that are man enough, a Mossberg 835 with 3 1/2" mag turkey loads.:D

sumpnz
March 13, 2004, 12:03 PM
I'll bring Miss Kaysa (my Swedish Mauser), plus my Ruger P944, and Winchester 190 (.22lr). If WkW or somebody else brings some 8x57 ammo I'll also bring my T38. That covers my entire collection. I only have 120 rounds for Miss Kaysa, but I do have about 400 rounds of .40S&W, plus 1000 .22lr.

I'd certainly like to try that 10mm, see how it compares to my .40.

WhoKnowsWho
March 13, 2004, 05:18 PM
8x57 ammo

I'll keep an eye out for that too.

I do want to try that 10 mm too, I'll keep an eye out for that when I go to the show tomorrow too.

a Mossberg 835 with 3 1/2" mag turkey loads.

Make sure we save that for near the end! I don't want to shoot all day with a hurt shoulder! :D

Lennyjoe
March 13, 2004, 05:46 PM
You gents are more than welcome to try out the 10MM.

I forgot to get some 10MM ammo at the gunshow today.

Did by .45 ammo though.

Buddy of mine purchased a Walther P22. I'll make sure he brings it. Cute little bugger.

WhoKnowsWho
March 14, 2004, 09:58 AM
Buddy of mine purchased a Walther P22. I'll make sure he brings it. Cute little bugger.

Did he get the long 5" barrel or short barrel? My wife has the 5" barrel one which we will bring also.

I hope miwall has some ammo left.

Lennyjoe
March 14, 2004, 10:40 AM
Standard length barrel.

WhoKnowsWho
March 14, 2004, 03:07 PM
Gee, that was the most worthless stuff I have seen at a gun show yet... alas... I did get 2 boxes of Olympic 8x57, 8MM Mauser ammo, and a box of 10 MM New loads from Miwall, and some Aguila Mini 12g Shells, always wanted to try some. And I also picked up a Beretta Storm CX4 in 9mm, just couldn't say no to it, so anyone who was interested in the space gun, I will have it available!

sumpnz
March 15, 2004, 10:50 AM
How much was the 8mm?

WhoKnowsWho
March 15, 2004, 01:36 PM
How much was the 8mm?

$4.95 + tax, cheaper than I expected.

sumpnz
March 15, 2004, 02:37 PM
$4.95 + tax, cheaper than I expected.
Not bad. It is non-corrosive, right?

I'll chip in for one of those boxes, or we can trade trigger time to even it out.

Anyone else going to bring some non-corrosive 8mm? I have a guy who's going to load some up for me, but they won't be ready for probably at least another month (he's ordering the dies, and brass and bullets now).

WhoKnowsWho
March 15, 2004, 05:07 PM
Well, it's the Olympic Greek stuff. I looked at the box, is a Sinoxide primer corrosive? I looked at the box when I got it, but didn't see either yes or no, and I can't imagine new production ammo to be made corrosive. And Midway USA lists it as being non-corrosive so I am quite sure it is safe.

We can trade trigger time, well, as long as you have something I don't have! (I haven't fired a Ruger since my first time I ever shot, so shooting one again will confirm if I want to get one or not) It will easily be worth it, rather than $9 to rent a autoloader at the range.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=870353

sumpnz
March 15, 2004, 05:39 PM
is a Sinoxide primer corrosive
Don't know for sure, but if it's new ammo (i.e. made in the last 30 years and not mil-surp) it would shocked and amazed if it was corrosive.

I'll be bringing my coffee can of .40S&W ammo (155 grain FMJs, 1070 fps). I've got almost 400 rounds of that stuff, so that should be plenty.

You're also welcome to give Miss Kaysa a try.

WhoKnowsWho
March 15, 2004, 07:34 PM
If you bring all that .40 ammo, you can shoot as much of it as you like through my USP, Sig Pro, Glock 22, and Kahr K40 Covert! :D I am sure they will enjoy the attention!

sumpnz
March 16, 2004, 12:46 AM
Guys,

I'll know more tomorrow, but it's possible I might be a dad a couple weeks early :what:. If so, I probably won't make the shoot this weekend :( .

I'll post again hopefully tomorrow when I'll know more, but if the baby does decide to come this early, at best I might get out there for a half hour, but I think even that's unlikely (she who must be obeyed and all, my eventual daughter that is :D).

WhoKnowsWho
March 16, 2004, 07:36 AM
Well that sucks, but is good too... :cool: Hope everything goes well!

sumpnz
March 16, 2004, 01:54 PM
Whew ... false alarm. We thought her water might have broken, but that turned not to be the case. With any luck, she'll be OK for the next couple of weeks until the due date.

So, I'm still in for this weekend. I have a buddy that lives in Prescott who will probably be coming down here this weekend to watch the Formula 1 race, and hopefully he'll tag along to the shoot. I don't think he has any weapons (he's a grad student but lives on campus, no guns allowed).

cidirkona
March 16, 2004, 06:14 PM
The more the merrier! I know quite a few people wanting to come along to our little get-together.

-Colin

WhoKnowsWho
March 16, 2004, 07:04 PM
Cool, sounds like we are gathering a good group then!

But what are we shooting at anyways? I have a few plastic bottles but that's about it. :confused:

sumpnz
March 16, 2004, 07:28 PM
I'll see what I can dredge up for targets, maybe some scraps from my woodshop, soda cans, old phone books, etc.

I'll be talking to my buddy later tonight, and I'll see what, if anything, he can bring in the way of weapons, ammo and targets.

Lennyjoe
March 16, 2004, 09:42 PM
A buddy thats taggin along is gonna make some stand up targets out of wood that he has piled up in the back yard. Just bring some paper targets and a staple gun.

I'll bring the digital so we can make some of the THR folks jealous.

WhoKnowsWho
March 16, 2004, 11:19 PM
Cool, I got paper targets, but no staple gun...

I'll bring my digital camera too.

My wife just confirmed she will be able to go to.

sumpnz
March 16, 2004, 11:35 PM
My wife might tag along too, but only if she's feeling espically chipper. At 37.5 weeks pregnant she's surprisingly active, but still nothing like what she was before. I know she'd like to try out a few pistols so that she can get a better idea of what she'll want for a personal weapon (my Ruger is really too big to fit her hands).

I'll also bring my digital camara. It's a Canon Elph, a great little pocket camara for snapshots. The guy (my cubemate at work) I bought it from actually (amazingly) used it for some of his "art" photography hobby.

My wife bought a staple gun, but it requires a wall plug :mad: Anybody got a roll of masking tape?

I'll run off some copies of targets I've got.

cidirkona
March 17, 2004, 12:07 AM
No, but I do have an inverter so you can plug your electric one in there... hehe

I'll let your wife try out my .380 FireStorm, it's nice and small and bought it because my fiance couldn't get her hands around my Springer 1911 compact - and now it's my primary carry!

We'll definately have to get a couple digital pictures while we're there so we can prove that we'll have had the biggest turnout of a local event on THR!! :D

-Colin

sumpnz
March 17, 2004, 12:31 AM
Hopefully I can talk her into coming out, but I'm thinking that might be hard to do (not that I'd blame her wanting to stay home).

WhoKnowsWho
March 17, 2004, 12:56 AM
Hopefully I can talk her into coming out, but I'm thinking that might be hard to do (not that I'd blame her wanting to stay home).

Actually, will it even be safe for her child to be out there with all the loud noises? I really don't know for sure how much the sound will transfer through her, but food for thought.

Not that I don't want more people out there, but just a concern.

cidirkona
March 17, 2004, 02:43 AM
Hahah, just wrap some earphones around her tummy! :D

Is it a boy, a girl or a surpise?

-Colin

sumpnz
March 17, 2004, 10:38 AM
will it even be safe for her child to be out there with all the loud noises?
Probably, but not sure.

Is it a boy, a girl or a surpise?
It's a girl. Her name will be Katelyn McKenzie.

At least it darn well better be a girl, considering the decorations we put in the baby's room, and the clothes we bought! Never mind the fact that a name will be difficult to come to agreement on if it turns out to be a boy. It was easy picking out girls names before we found out, but boys names were much more difficult.

Kor
March 17, 2004, 04:07 PM
Quite the Schuetzenfest you guys got going, here...I'll try to clear the decks for action and meet you out there on Sunday.

When you say "mining hole," do you think the hole is shallow enough to shoot pistols at a reasonable distance, or is it so deep that there's no point in shooting anything but a rifle?

sumpnz
March 17, 2004, 04:09 PM
Kor, Welcome! The more the merrier. Whatcha bringin'?

Kor
March 17, 2004, 04:21 PM
Right now I'm thinkin':

- One or two Finnish Mosin-Nagants
- Yugo Mauser
- Spanish FR8
- .308 M1 Garand(but it's been a little cantankerous lately)
- FAL
- Marlin 1894CS .357Mag
- Polytech M14
- Armalite AR180B
- SAR-2 5.45X39
- 1917 Enfield
- M1903A3
- Ruger 10/22

I know, it's a long and distunguished list, and I'll probably have to cut half of them just because there won't be time to shoot 'em all or room in the ark to bring 'em out. I still need to take some of these out of the safe and blow the dust out of the bores, though. If anybody's particularly hot to try one out, I'll make space in the Honda Accord for it...

sumpnz
March 17, 2004, 04:41 PM
If you have to cut it by half, my votes would be for:
- One Finnish Mosin-Nagant
- FAL
- Marlin 1894CS .357Mag
- SAR-2 5.45X39
- 1917 Enfield
- M1903A3

Of course, that's my personal, selfish recommendations based on what I'm most interested in. :D

WhoKnowsWho
March 18, 2004, 09:30 AM
If you have to cut it by half, my votes would be for:
And half of that:

FAL
AR180B
M1903A3

But I don't have any .308 Ammo, wish I had known you were going to make it Kor, and I would have picked some up at the show. :(

Lennyjoe
March 18, 2004, 11:01 AM
I spent last night making a home made target stand out of some scrap wood.

Not store quality but effective enough to get shot to hell.;)

I'll scrounge around for some more materials so we have extra.

sumpnz
March 18, 2004, 11:33 AM
I'll see if I can cobble together a target or two from my pile of wood scraps as well. I've got tons of leftovers from some furniture I built, plus other misc. projects.

I talked to my friend from Prescott, and he *might* get some ammo (I told him 8x57 seems to be what we need the most), but I'm not positive that he'll even tag along. He's bringing his girlfriend, so she may nix that idea, or want to do something else during that time. We'll see, she may decide she really wants to go shooting too.

Snake Eyes
March 18, 2004, 11:57 AM
So, if I am following this correctly, Sunday 3/21, 1:00pm at the "mining hole" located at the previously posted map?

Inventory that can travel:

Colt 1911A1 Government (2)
Colt 80 Series Gold Cup
Colt 70 Series Gold Cup
Colt Delta Elite
Colt Compact 1991A1
Colt Model M (1903) .32 (2)
Colt 6" Python
Colt 4" Python
Colt 2.5" Python (2)
Colt 4" Diamondback
Colt 4" Trooper
Colt 6" Trooper
Colt Cobra
Colt Dick Spcl (3)
Beretta 8045
Sig 226
Sig 230
Ruger Mark II
Browning Baby
SLR 95
Bushmaster Preban 10.5" barrel/5.5" flash-hider

Any requests?

sumpnz
March 18, 2004, 12:42 PM
Any requests?
Colt Delta Elite
Colt 6" Python
Sig 226
Sig 230

What is the SLR 95?

So, if I am following this correctly, Sunday 3/21, 1:00pm at the "mining hole" located at the previously posted map That's correct. See you there!

Snake Eyes
March 18, 2004, 12:57 PM
What is the SLR 95?
A Bulgarian AK variant with a milled reciever and thumbhole type black plastic furniture.

sumpnz
March 18, 2004, 01:22 PM
What is the SLR 95?A Bulgarian AK variant with a milled reciever and thumbhole type black plastic furniture.Bring it on!

WhoKnowsWho
March 18, 2004, 06:34 PM
Snake Eyes, good to hear even more are attending! My friend from work will most likely also be going! If I have some space, I might, I'll bring a cooler with water and stuff too.

Any requests?

Colt 80 Series Gold Cup
Colt 70 Series Gold Cup
Colt Delta Elite
Colt Compact 1991A1
Colt Model M (1903) .32 (2)
Colt 6" Python
Colt 4" Trooper
Beretta 8045
Ruger Mark II
SLR 95

That's not really a short list, but I would like to test out the Colt series guns mainly. After we are out of ammo, .22 LR might be all we have left!

I think I need to reload some more Saturday night...

By the way, the mining pit, is there vehicle access into the pit? Or do we have to park above it and walk down into it?

Lennyjoe
March 18, 2004, 09:27 PM
I picked up a dozen 16 ounce bottles of water for the shoot. Will also be bringing a 5 gallon cooler with ice water as well.

One thing I dont have is one of them cheep card tables that we could use to set stuff on. Guess I'll have to use the tailgate of the Bronco.

cidirkona
March 18, 2004, 10:04 PM
Wow, you guys are all organized-like... I was just going to show up with a couple boxes of ammo and a case of beer! (just kidding...)

I feel like a newbie only being able to bring one firearm... I'll bring some of my 8mm surp. though if anyone's got a mauser they don't mind shooting probably corrosive ammo out of... The bullets themselves are shiney, are the A.P. steel??

-Colin

sumpnz
March 18, 2004, 11:17 PM
I'll bring some water too, plus we can use the bed of my pickup (Ford Ranger) for water, and other crap.

Colin, is your mil-surp ammo Turkish? If so, it's definatly corrosive, but not "AP". The jacket is some kind of Nickle alloy. Almost as hard as steel, but non-ferrous. It has a lead core with a very thin copper layer between the jacket and core. It does have rather amazing penetration capabilities.

I might bring some of my Turk ammo if I remember.

cidirkona
March 19, 2004, 02:39 AM
I don't know where it came from. I picked it up at Murphy's in 15-round cardboard boxes, unlabelled spare "8mm 3.99" written on the end of the boxes in black sharpie. There is nothing stamped or written on the primer end, and the brass is fairly dark.

I dropped my Czeck mauser off at my brother's house today so he can take it with him camping with the 12 year old bear-snacks from church and picked up the old Winchester Model 52 with the forarm hand rest, all orignial with the apeture sight, although the site is all wrapped up and an optical scope is on it now. Lighter-than-hair trigger on it is kinda freaky though.

I also picked up the old (pretty damn old I think) mossberg bolt action 20 guage x 2 3/4" that I don't think has been fired in years, if not decades. If anyone wants to take a look at it and tell me if it's safe, I might pick up some lo brass, hi brass and maybe some slugs... I know nothing about it other than it's a mossberg 20guauge and old.

-Colin

WhoKnowsWho
March 19, 2004, 09:04 AM
One thing I dont have is one of them cheep card tables that we could use to set stuff on.

I actually have a really nice folding table that we use for cards and stuff. I will bring that, but I might have to forget about the ice chest fitting. But I think the table will be more useful, and a few chairs too.

Also, three people from my work have said they will more than likely go also. One has no firearms to speak of though, but he wants to play too! :D

sumpnz
March 19, 2004, 02:18 PM
Sounds like we're getting quite the gathering. Aside from water what kinds of refreshments do people want? I think we should probably leave beer and such for afterwards.

Also, how will we all recognize each other? I'm assuming that other people will out there too, so we need some way to identify eachother. I'll be driving a silver 2001 Ranger, and am 6' 190#, dark hair, mustache. I'll try to remember to wear my "Life's Short, Pray Hard" tee shirt. If I can find it I'll also be wearing a Raytheon Missile Systems cap.

cidirkona
March 19, 2004, 03:27 PM
I'm the young punk kid, probably be wearing black, gray or dark blue, spikey arm bands, black hat backwards, orange ear plugs...

I'll probably put a sign on my Cressida that says something like "THR" so we can all meet there, set up our tables/drinks/whatever there.

Hahah, we should get "Hi, my name is..." stickers.

I was j/k on that beer though, btw. I don't drink and carry.

Oh - and at the 4th Ave Street fair tomorrow, TPD will have a booth and be giving away free cable gun locks - yes free. Sponsored by Project Child Safe (http://www.projectchildsafe.com). I dont' like having to lock my bolts in the pistol case because I don't have a full size safe...

-Colin

Lennyjoe
March 19, 2004, 05:32 PM
I'll be driving a White/Blue full size Ford Bronco. Tan Molon Labe hat as well.

we should probably leave beer and such for afterwards
Beer stays in the coolers until the guns are put up.

If not, Im out of there. Just the way I am.

I don't drink and carry.
Nor do I.

Lets just make sure the folks we bring are up to speed on the basic rules of gun safety.

Im not doubting anyone here just want to make sure we have a good SAFE time.

Know what I mean:)

sumpnz
March 19, 2004, 05:46 PM
Lennyjoe, I'm on your page. As far as I'm concerned we are each personally responsible for the people we bring to the shoot. Although I'm sure my buddy knows the four rules, I'll be grilling him on them Saturday night just to be sure.

I'll have to clear it with my wife, but if a few of you want to relax, have a beer and clean your guns at my place afterwards, let me know. My house is within rifle shot (2-3 miles) of the mining holes. Just be ready for a couple German Shepard mixes that will try to get in your way and lick you repeatedly.

WhoKnowsWho
March 19, 2004, 07:20 PM
Also, how will we all recognize each other?

I will be driving my roommate's 2000 White Chevy Malibu, 5'10" 260 pounds. Should be wearing tan shorts and a black and white striped shirt, and hauling a large amount of stuff!

For sure, beer can wait, I don't really drink beer anyways.

The friends I am bringing, although they are safe, I will be sure to confirm they know and will be expected to follow the rules.

On a side note, since Kor has the FAL I want to try, I stopped at Diamondback and picked up two boxes of PMC .308 Win ammo. :D

Kor
March 19, 2004, 07:55 PM
I'll be driving a beige Honda Accord, wearing GI desert boots, Royal Robbins shorts, and a NRA "Vote Freedom First" baseball cap.

WKW, you really shouldn't have bought that ammo - I was gonna bring plenty...

Looks like I'll bring out the SAR-2, AR180B, FAL, M39 Mosin, 1903A3, 1917 and maybe the Marlin 1894(gotta scrounge up a decent amount of .357 ammo 'round the house). I might also bring out my 1911 '80 GM, my SIG 220, and my 92FS.

I'll also try to drag my buddy out with, or at least bogart his steel targets. I also just picked up a case of clay pigeons for us all to snipe at.

JCM298
March 19, 2004, 11:36 PM
Can old geezers join your shoot?

John

WhoKnowsWho
March 20, 2004, 02:45 AM
WKW, you really shouldn't have bought that ammo - I was gonna bring plenty...

Heck, it was only $5.25, I figured it would also be an extra reason for you to bring the FAL, I dunno, I feel kinda funny shooting someone else's gun without giving them something in return or at least not using their ammo.

92FS

I wouldn't mind shooting that again too... to confirm that my hand is a bit small to easily reach the double action trigger. And bonus, you can use your mags in the Beretta Storm if you want.

or at least bogart his steel targets

I was looking around a couple of places for good inexpensive steel targets that could take a .44 Magnum or so, only places were online. Those would be good fun.

Can old geezers join your shoot?

Heck yeah, no ages turned away! Even the unborn ones! :D C'mon and join us for what seems to be turning into Tucson Shoot Fest 2004!

I thought we were going to have problems getting 5 people out there... ha!:rolleyes:

Lennyjoe
March 20, 2004, 09:07 PM
Truck is packed.

Bringing a fold up table, canopy cover 10' x 8' for the wifes if needed, a cooler full of soda and water, pistols and ammo, and camera.

What else am I forgetting?

cidirkona
March 20, 2004, 09:32 PM
Any useless household items you'd want to use as targets?

Anyone who reloads their ammo might wanna bring a grocery bag or two, there's ALOT of brass out there.

I'll be bringing my old-ass mossberg shotty, Winchester 22lr rifle and my Firestorm 380.

I forgot to get the marking tape today, hopefully I'll be able to pick some up tomorrow -- if not, I'll put a box with rocks out by the turn off with "THR" written on it. Either way, there'll be something out there to help the guys who haven't been out there (everyone but me?) find the place. :D

-Colin

Lennyjoe
March 20, 2004, 11:15 PM
I have some yellow "Police line, do not cross" tape that I figured we could use to mark the firing line. ;)

WhoKnowsWho
March 21, 2004, 01:34 AM
Any useless household items you'd want to use as targets?
I have some bottles and jugs that might be enough to last a whole five minutes if being shot at. Unless we are all really bad shots! :D
Anyone who reloads their ammo might wanna bring a grocery bag or two, there's ALOT of brass out there.
I am bringing trash bags! Grocery bags? Pfftt! :p Going to need to haul some trash out anyways, so a bag for brass, and a bag for trash.
Truck is packed.
Um, a little prepared are we! Hehe, I gotta start gathering weapons and ammo into a nice pile right now, then it is nappy time at around midnight.

I look forward to seeing you all there!

sumpnz
March 21, 2004, 12:39 PM
Well, my budd and GF decided to go watch the last day of LPGA tournament today instead of joining us. I think my wife will it a pass too. Anyway, I've got a bunch tile scraps and bottles and such that we can shoot.

See you guys a few hours!

WhoKnowsWho
March 21, 2004, 01:07 PM
my budd and GF decided to go watch the last day of LPGA
:scrutiny:

Oh well, their loss!

Lennyjoe
March 21, 2004, 07:39 PM
Just got done posting pics on General Discussions to make everyone jealous.

Feel free to add your pics as well.

Had a great time folks.

Lets do it again before the weather gets too hot.

cidirkona
March 21, 2004, 09:50 PM
Here's the thread with the pics on it (http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72443)

-Colin

sumpnz
March 22, 2004, 10:06 AM
Thanks guys, I had a great time. Shoulder's a bit sore this morning, and I'm a little pink, but it's worth it. Kor, thanks for letting me try the FAL. I think I may have to start saving up for one.

cidirkona
March 22, 2004, 11:04 AM
Discount Pawn has a .308 FAL for sale - can't remember how much they wanted for it though.

Thanks everyone for letting me try out your firearms!! There are a couple things I'm going to have to save up for now! My shoulder's got a huge bruise on it and my arms and nose are very burnt, but I had a great time. After everyone else left, Steve and I did a little bit of clay shooting, then a little bit of weird-black-plastic-disc shooting.

-Colin

WhoKnowsWho
March 22, 2004, 03:27 PM
Discount Pawn has a .308 FAL for sale - can't remember how much they wanted for it though

Thanks for mentioning that, thankfully, it is too far out of the way to stop by and take a look. :D

sumpnz says he will be able to do another in mid May, but I am thinking we might melt our polymer around that time... so I guess we will just have to wait and see how the weather and our schedules fit with what we want to do.

Again, I had a great time, guess I should start cleaning now!

sumpnz
March 22, 2004, 03:37 PM
sumpnz says he will be able to do another in mid May Well, I just said that would be the earliest I could make another shoot (a little over a month after the baby is born). Based on weather, I would agree that September/October might be a better time.

Kor
March 22, 2004, 04:11 PM
A grand time was had by all, and thanks to alla youse guys for sharing your fine firearms with the group.

Now, let's see you guys out at Pima Pistol Club this coming Sunday morning, so you can watch me embarass myself at the IDPA match!

Lennyjoe
March 22, 2004, 05:10 PM
If I dont go camping this weekend then I will be there.

What time does it get rolling?

WhoKnowsWho
March 22, 2004, 05:48 PM
Is it this Sunday the 28th or the following Sunday?

If PPC has their IDPA scheduled on the weekends I come off work... :cuss:

Kor
March 22, 2004, 06:18 PM
It's gonna be Sunday, March 28th, y'all - the match will be kicking off at about 9:00AM, if you wanna watch. If you'd like to try your hand at IDPA and actually compete, try to get there at about 8:30-8:45. Match fees are $15, bring your favorite carry pistol with at least 3 magazines(or 2 speedloaders for the wheel-gunners), a strong-side belt holster, appropriate belt pouches for your reloads, and 100-150rds of ammo. Also bring a light shirt or vest, we shoot lots of stages starting with the gun concealed. We usually get done with the match by 12:30-ish, if you stick around to help us put all our range props away we greatly appreciate the help.

Non-competitors who want to shoot after the match, or at one of the non-reserved range bays during the match, pay $8 IIRC and sign the roster at the range office.

To get to Pima Pistol Club:
- take Oracle Rd. north, THROUGH Oro Valley, till you come to Wilds Rd.
- turn right on Wilds, head east to Bowman Rd.
- turn right on Bowman, head south and follow the road; the paving ends after 1/2mi, keep going down. Turn left at the bottom, follow the signs and/or head for the sound of gunfire. Stay down in the floodplain, PPC is right at the end of that dirt road.

Or, see here: www.pimapistol.org

See ya out there!

cidirkona
March 23, 2004, 03:17 PM
OK, after shooting that SKS, I might just have to get one - but a few questions first...

All C&R SKSs are pre-ban, right?
Can you put a folding stock or thumbhole stock on any SKS?
Can you convert to 30,40,etc round detatchable magazines on any SKS?
What's the average MOA accuracy thingo?
Are they reliable?

Does anyone here have their C&R yet? I ordered 5 packets of the paperwork from BATF to get mine, if anyone wants some of the ones I got. SKSboards.com has a nice FAQ/intro on getting a C&R 03FFL.

-Colin

sumpnz
March 23, 2004, 04:22 PM
Lennyjoe has a C&R. He could probably give you some pointers.

WhoKnowsWho
March 23, 2004, 05:46 PM
All C&R SKSs are pre-ban, right?
Can you put a folding stock or thumbhole stock on any SKS?
Can you convert to 30,40,etc round detatchable magazines on any SKS?
What's the average MOA accuracy thingo?
Are they reliable?

Try http://www.simonov.net/ for a ton of information about the SKS and legal stuff about it. I remember reading it when I originally got my SKS, so I will try to sum up some of it if I remember correctly. Here is a write up of what you can do to the SKS at http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Gorge/4653/bardsks.htm I didn't read it recently, so I am writing below what I remember...

(legal babble removed due to errors, read that website listed above for better answers)

The detatchable mags they make could work, but most are more work than they are worth. Even the extended non-detatchable mags tend not to work too well. Desert Trails had a guy with a 30 round non-detatchable mag ready to sell me his SKS because it wouldn't feed correctly, I told him to put the originaly ten round mag back in. With the stripper clips, which are like 25 cents each, it's quite easy to quickly reload anyways.

Average MOA? Can't say... never measured it!

Reliability, with the original ten round mag, no problems at all. Wet, dry, dusty, dirty, doesn't seem to matter much at all.

You shoulda posted this in the rifles section man! :D

cidirkona
March 23, 2004, 06:11 PM
Alright, well here's somethign Tucson-related for you...

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?&threadid=72528

-Colin

WhoKnowsWho
March 23, 2004, 09:27 PM
It's sad I never hear of this stuff through the normal news on TV... :(

cidirkona
March 23, 2004, 10:20 PM
So who wants to join www.arizonamilitia.com or www.ranchrescue.com ?? I wouldn't mind helping fix fences and stuff, but being shot at wouldn't be too fun...

-Colin

cidirkona
March 30, 2004, 11:54 AM
How did the IDPA thing go?

-Colin

sumpnz
April 12, 2004, 07:13 PM
Well, my daughter was born on the 2nd. I've been too busy since then to post, but here's a picture of her at 17 hours old.

WhoKnowsWho
April 12, 2004, 08:20 PM
Great, glad to hear everything is going fine!

Now put a .22 pistol in her hand and take another picture. :evil: :D

cidirkona
April 12, 2004, 08:35 PM
Congrats Sumpnz!!

-Colin

Lennyjoe
April 13, 2004, 10:34 AM
Congrats to the new parents.

When we taking her out shooting.;)

sumpnz
April 13, 2004, 10:41 AM
When we taking her out shooting Well, she's got a good grabbing reflex, but her coordination is still a little off, so it might just take a little while.

cidirkona
April 13, 2004, 12:10 PM
Yeah Lenny, she was just born...

...give it a week or two. :D

-Colin

If you enjoyed reading about "Tucson, Arizona" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!