Custom 44

PDA

tikit2ryde
December 24, 2012, 07:02 PM
Hello,

I thought you guy's would be the ones to ask.

My son and I shoot 44 magnums ,and we are interested in buying a custom built 44 ,5 shot with a 7 1/2 " or 8 3/8 octagon barrel.

We are looking for a good revolver gunsmith to build the gun.

Cost is somewhat a factor I would like to stay under $3000.00 if possible.

Our normal loads are 28.5 gr N110 under a 180gr XTP or 32.5 gr of H110 under same bullet.

Can anyone recommend a good gunsmith to build us a gun.

Thanks,

Allen Rubenacker

If you enjoyed reading about "Custom 44" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
December 24, 2012, 07:25 PM
Just buy a Freedom Arms and be done with it.
It won't get much better then that.
http://www.freedomarms.com/

Otherwise, Hamilton Bowen would be the place I would spend my money.
http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/

rc

Boxhead
December 25, 2012, 02:57 PM
Alan Harton, John Gallagher and Jim Stroh come to mind.

Jim Watson
December 25, 2012, 09:29 PM
I have seen FAs. They are big solid revolvers with a great reputation for accuracy and durability.
There are a couple of things about them I do not like.
They are "crisp" with a lot of sharp square corners. Proud of their machine work, I guess, but I would want to dehorn one before I shot it.
They are officially four shooters. The 83 has a safety block that engages at quarter cock, but they tell you to carry it hammer down on an empty chamber like an 1873 Colt.

At one time they would provide a replaceable barrel throat insert that you could change out when your light bullet high velocity loads eroded the old one. But I do not see it in their current catalog.

A friend has multiple custom Rugers. He has Bowens which are very nice but is a regular with John Gallagher. Says he keeps two guns in his shop, whenever one is finished, he takes him another. He showed me a mismatched pair of Single Sixes, one still a .22, the other a .38 Special. Cute, and more interesting to me than a .44.

If you enjoyed reading about "Custom 44" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!