mineral oil and bone

PDA

lobo9er
December 24, 2012, 07:20 PM
soaking an old "West-cut" knife in mineral oil. Has some hair line cracks in its bone handle I have read this can help. Any tips or warnings?

If you enjoyed reading about "mineral oil and bone" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
December 24, 2012, 07:38 PM
Not if you already did it.

If you did it, I would have suggested stabilizing the cracks with a CA (Cyanoacrylate) adhesive like Hot Stuff.
After it cures instantly, you can buff off the excess and the cracks will be permanently repaired, if not invisible.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/stock-work-finishing/glue-adhesives/2-oz-hot-stuff-sku862100002-13081-31453.aspx?mc_id=80000&srch=1&gdftrk=gdfV21820_a_7c187_a_7c3466_a_7c862100002_d_862100002_d_11318

If it is already oil soaked, it probably wouldn't suck down in the cracks, or stick if it did.

rc

lobo9er
December 24, 2012, 08:43 PM
yeah its waist deep. how bad a move was it? I read it was good to soak bone handles once year if you carry it in mineral oil.

JShirley
December 24, 2012, 09:03 PM
Mineral oil is good for wood and antler. If you're trying to repair, instead of prevent, though...

lobo9er
December 24, 2012, 09:12 PM
it is prevention. its solid. I miss spoke also its a stag or antler.

JShirley
December 25, 2012, 01:25 PM
Some folks smooth epoxy into horn handles, lightly sand with fine paper, then follow with mineral oil. Mineral oil is a good choice on most organic handle materials. I actually use 1/4 CLP and 3/4 mineral oil for most of my knife and gun lubrication needs.

lobo9er
December 25, 2012, 11:26 PM
jshirley, for stocks and handles or lubricating actions on your guns? It worked great on the handle, maybe just sugar pill affect but the handle did seem to "plump" up a little as was described by someone on another website. Soaking it in. It at least looks hydrated. I actually have never heard of mineral oil before or have and not taken much notice. Is it good for storing your blades? Not super long term but for a month or so before being wiped down again?

JShirley
December 26, 2012, 10:15 AM
I use it on knives and guns. Mineral oil won't adhere to metal the way some more modern lubes will, but if you wipe down your weapons reasonably regulalrly, it works well, and is dirt cheap (baby oil).

If you enjoyed reading about "mineral oil and bone" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!