"brass caps"

PDA

44 Dave
December 24, 2012, 10:17 PM
I have about 1/3 tin of very good hot percussion caps that I got in the late '60s.
I only use them when I can't afford a hang fire!
Some where the got transferred to another tin, so I don't know what they are
They are brass not copper the gray stuff in them is not foil covered.
the brass does not split and fall in the works like the softer copper ones.
Would they be mercury fulminate or potassium chlorate.
I am afraid that they may be more corrosive.
Where can I get more?
Dave

If you enjoyed reading about ""brass caps"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
zimmerstutzen
December 25, 2012, 12:14 AM
Probably Italian, perhaps fiocci
Many companies sold brass fiocci caps under their name including alcan and cva

raa-7
December 25, 2012, 08:55 AM
I know that they used mercury in the older percussion caps but I'm not sure when they stopped using it.I have read a little about them,being curious about what they put in the caps. I do know that it was first used in the early 1800's and on, and was said that the fulminate weakened in time, so it wasnt 100% reliable and that they stopped using it mainly because it was toxic, and also corrosive to the guns.Maybe they're potassium chlorate ? Merry Christmas everyone :)

arcticap
December 25, 2012, 10:35 AM
44 Dave,
Do they resemble either of these?

Brass Caps

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=256474

Fiocchi #11's & RWS Musket Caps

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=402059

44 Dave
December 25, 2012, 10:56 AM
Yes,
Click image for larger version Name: P1000518a45%.JPG Views: 795 Size: 105.9 KB ID: 53596
These are them, mine are 10

BHP FAN
December 27, 2012, 03:39 AM
I have a few [very few] that I use when other caps don't go bang, mine are generic Dixie Gunworks caps from the '70's.

the Black Spot
December 27, 2012, 10:55 AM
Mine were in a black CVA plastic tin like in picture, they never fell off split or failed to fire, wish they made them like that now

If you enjoyed reading about ""brass caps"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!