I am giving a gift NRA membership to a member of this forum

PDA

thelaststand
December 25, 2012, 06:19 PM
I am sick of the anti gun propaganda spreading around.

If you are not an NRA member and you would like a free membership (that I will pay for), please post and explain your views on gun control, assault weapons bans, mag capacity limits, etc.

If you want to join me in gifting an NRA membership, this is how you do it.
Pick a poster who is requesting a membership in this thread. Post stating that you will provide the gift membership to that member. Send private message asking for name, gender, age, address, phone, email and magazine selection and you can enter that info into the form below and use your credit card, you can also call, etc

You can gift a one year membership for $25.
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/gift.asp?campaignid=XC013245

I'm giving NRA memberships to all my family this Christmas and I've decided to give a membership to a member on this forum. Marry Christmas!

If you enjoyed reading about "I am giving a gift NRA membership to a member of this forum" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mnrivrat
December 26, 2012, 12:07 AM
Great Idea - No $ excuse for not being a NRA member . I know money is tight for many - So , I will also follow the OP's lead and match his gift to a forum member who is not presently an NRA member .

All you need to do is post " I want to Join the NRA" and I will drop you a private e-Mail to get the info needed to gift you a membership .

danez71
December 26, 2012, 01:00 AM
My view is that there should be less restrictions and not more.

I think CC should be easily attainable in every state; It shouldnt be any harder than filling out the current Fed form if not easier.

JERRY
December 26, 2012, 01:07 AM
80 million lawful gun owners and only 4 million NRA members speaks volumes to those on capital hill when they vote.....5% of a group is easy to ignore when the other 95% dont care enough to join the strongest voice they have in wash d.c.

mnrivrat
December 26, 2012, 01:20 AM
danez71 , I have sent you a PM . I do not want to steal the OP's thunder but am standing ready for your information. If the OP would like to choose to gift you a membership, than fine. Otherwise, I am prepared to go ahead .

Grassman
December 26, 2012, 01:26 AM
I gave $100. It's all I can part with right now...Do your part....

http://www.nraila.org/

Grmlin
December 26, 2012, 01:34 AM
Jerry, what you wrote kind of puts it in prospective. Many years ago I was a NRA member, I sent them my three year subscription fee (they cashed my check) but I never received my membership and could not get any help from anyone. I guess after all this time I just need to swallow my pride, except it, and rejoin to try and help protect my rights. Wish I could get a good deal on a life membership.

thelaststand and mnrivrat you are setting an example I hope more will follow.

CookeMonster
December 26, 2012, 01:40 AM
I would LOVE one. Wife and I made CCW a priority 2 years ago with crime rates and home invasions on the rise as well as 3 kids to protect. We added a HD shotgun 9 months ago. A good safe is next on our list (currently have a cheap pistol safe and shotgun is cable locked and out of sight from kiddos), and NRA memberships came 3rd, followed by an all-purpose rifle (thinking mini-14) 4th. NRA membership bumped up a notch since Aurora, Colarado. Problem is, I've been going to school for the last 2 years using up the last of my GI Bill, and money is tighter than when working full-time. School just finished, and I'm about 3 weeks from completing my FAA testing and starting work, so we'll be very tight for a couple more months, and another couple months to get our heads back above water. Just joined the ranks of the reloaders about 2 months ago. It's hard to afford joining the gun culture, but very easy to justify it.

I am against ANY further gun laws, and expect the people representing me in government to retract some of the previous laws. Unfortunately, I live in California. While Cali is much more gun-friendly (outside of densely populated areas) than the rest of the nation believes, we are still outvoted by the big cities. Rural Californians have very little say, and our way of life is constantly being dictated by anti-gun nuts like Boxer and Feinstein. I believe in weapon restrictions for the general public... to be restricted in the same way they are for the military and police. We may need them to fight the same bad guys that they do, or the military and police themselves in a worst case scenario. The 2nd Amendment is the deciding factor for me in future votes.

Recon Ron
December 26, 2012, 01:57 AM
I am a now ex NRA member due to lack of funds and less hours at work. Heck I even had to move back with the folks until finances get back in order.

I'm pro-2A to the core and work at a sporting goods store that sells firearms (when I can get hours). I am a firm believer in inalienable rights and gun ownership falls into that category. There is no reason to limit and restrict these rights for honest and good folks who have done no harm. The AWB, and other forms of restrictions to nothing but persecute model citizens and do nothing to limit the criminal behavior of those lacking moral character.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

The attack on firearms is a war that we must fight against, we are the better men.

JERRY
December 26, 2012, 02:07 AM
a one year NRA membership costs the same price as one box of bullets folks. im just not seeing the rational to not be a member.

stickhauler
December 26, 2012, 02:58 AM
They're currently offering Life Memberships for $300.00, it simply takes a Life Member to sponsor you (and I guess, send in the membership fee). I'm an over-the-road trucker, and not home through the week. But, if you can't find any other Life Member here to facilitate getting it, send me a private message and I'll get back to you and give you my address for you to send the fee.

For Life Members, use this website:

https://www.nra-2013.org/

I salute those who have pledged to offer free memberships, we all gotta do what we can to fight off this latest challenge. We can't lose this fight!

Warp
December 26, 2012, 03:03 AM
80 million lawful gun owners and only 4 million NRA members speaks volumes to those on capital hill when they vote.....5% of a group is easy to ignore when the other 95% dont care enough to join the strongest voice they have in wash d.c.

Not every gun owner really cares about gun rights the way 'we' do.

Plenty of gun owners just have simple off the shelf 'hunting' shotguns or rifles (pump, bolt, lever, etc) and they know that nothing the anti gun lobby talks about would directly affect them at this point in time, so why spend money on an NRA membership?

Some gun owners only buy a 1 year membership, or maybe 2, and don't always renew right away when it expires.

Some would rather give them money to somebody like the GOA or 2nd Amendment foundation, or their local state organization.

Warp
December 26, 2012, 03:04 AM
I just went with a full price life membership during the speech on Friday.

They make it easy to spend $1,000 on the full price deal.

$25 a quarter for 40 quarters. THat's 10 years to pay for it, lol

Prophet
December 26, 2012, 03:05 AM
Firearms of any type are not the problem. It is an injustice to the innumerable innocent dead and their families that we as a society should even attempt to lift some of the blame from the shoulders of criminals and sickos who prey upon the innocent and try to shift their guilt onto a lifeless, inanimate tool; regardless of that tool's complexity. I hold criminals and sickos wholly and completely responsible for their actions, not some piece of well-arranged steel.

More laws and registration only make it more difficult for decent, law-abiding citizens like ourselves to obtain the firearms we need for defense and easier for criminals to overpower us. The citizens you'll find on a gun registry will be law-abiding, because sickos and criminals aren't going to run to their nearest sheriffs office and register their weapons any more than they are going to stop raping, murdering and pillaging, which are already against the law, because sickos and criminals by nature do not and never will obey laws.

Furthermore, the moral commonfolk of any country must keep modern firearms to remain free. The founders of our nation knew that if a populace did not have the same rights to the same types of weapons their government had, the government would not have reason to fear its populace and could perpetrate whatever injustice it pleased. This is why Americans fought the British at Concord; the British were coming to confiscate their weapons so that defense against tyranny would not be an option. It is the instinct of every government to encroach on its citizenry, and they are doomed to do so if permitted. This is proven fact and is at the heart of the Second Amendment.

Human beings may stop other human beings from doing what they are doing by only two means; by force, or by reason. You may force them to stop, or you may reason with them to stop on their own. In this world there are sick, evil people who simply will not stop when you attempt to reason with them. The only thing that will stop them is force. A citizen who chooses to carry a firearm is not violent simply because he or she chooses to do so. A citizen who chooses to carry a firearm is a logical citizen because he or she understands that to negate force, equal or greater force must be utilized, and the citizen in fact is a true champion of nonviolence having taken upon themselves a daily burden necessary to prevent or end whatever violence they may happen to encounter. Conversely, by choosing not to keep and carry firearm a citizen limits himselves to one of the only two tools a human being may utilize as a means to promote peace by ending violence, and as such render themselves incapable of defending themselves and society as a whole from hardened criminals who do not respond to reason. As such, I believe well-informed and well-trained supporters of the Second Amendment are truly the lifeline of America's freedom and peace, and as such I am a supporter of the NRA for making quality programs available to equip their supporters with the knowledge and training opportunities necessary to achieve those ends.

This is a summary of my ideology concerning firearms and those who carry them. If chosen I would pass the membership opportunity onto a young man I know who recently got involved in the shooting sports and would appreciate the publications, perhaps even moreso than myself. I would ask him first and, if he declined the offer, I would be more than happy to receive the membership.

horsemen61
December 26, 2012, 04:07 AM
My view is that It is our right to have what kinds of guns we like and I want to join the NRA thank you to who ever started this :D:D:D:D:D:D

JERRY
December 26, 2012, 04:13 AM
not every gun owner really cares about gun rights the way 'we' do.

Plenty of gun owners just have simple off the shelf 'hunting' shotguns or rifles (pump, bolt, lever, etc) and they know that nothing the anti gun lobby talks about would directly affect them at this point in time, so why spend money on an nra membership?

Some gun owners only buy a 1 year membership, or maybe 2, and don't always renew right away when it expires.

Some would rather give them money to somebody like the goa or 2nd amendment foundation, or their local state organization.

exactly. So why would a politician listen to the NRA when so few gun owners care what happens?

9MMare
December 26, 2012, 04:16 AM
a one year NRA membership costs the same price as one box of bullets folks. im just not seeing the rational to not be a member.

Exactly. My thinking is that most folks that arent NRA members make that choice from ethical or philosophical or political reasons.

In which case their accepting $$ to do so is hypocritical and counter-productive to their position.

horsemen61
December 26, 2012, 04:22 AM
Or economical being a broke college kid who works 40 hours a week to pay for school doesn't leave alot left for the NRA

JERRY
December 26, 2012, 06:21 AM
Rationalize it anyway you want, but for the price you spend for one box of bullets youre supporting the biggest pro-gun voice you have in wash d.c.

One box of bullets once a year. Unless you dont even shoot guns you spend that and more on fluff....

lykoris
December 26, 2012, 06:36 AM
It is one thing as a European that has always puzzled me, so many gun owners and yet such an insignificant number are NRA members.

Unless you support them you are all heading towards European style firearm laws...and believe me there is no going back:(

I would eat canned beans until I paid my annual membership.

Sobel
December 26, 2012, 06:43 AM
This Hanukkah I wanted nothing more than to partake in owning an ar-15 , my mother didn't have the money at the moment so I sold my handgun and gave her the money in hopes it would make it easier for her. Then some man decided he wanted to do something crazy, he never thought of the repercussions not for himself but the millions of people who love and cherish the right to bear arms. So now we've collected the funds and nothing is available because everyone is afraid our rights are going to be taken from us. It pains my heart to think that some day we may end up like Europe. I ask my Grandpa how life was when he was growing up, it always sounds so amazing. Where you could go hunting and carry your rifle and nobody would freak out. It seems many people had a little more sense to them back then. I know I may not ever get the chance to own a rifle because of politics but I'd like to join a group that is trying to make sure that later generations have the pleasure of firearms and the protection they bring. Every man and woman should have not just the right to bear arms but see it as their patriotic duty. We should be the nation we used to be where seeing the flag inspired us, to do all we could for our nation. Seeing how our government is trampling our constitution troubles me. I'd like to see them put in their place and for us to never become subjects. That is why I want to join the NRA to bring us back to the way things should be. Simple and strong, self reliant Americans

mcdonl
December 26, 2012, 08:56 AM

And considering there is no ammo on the shelves what else are you going to spend the money on!!

FireInCairo
December 26, 2012, 09:11 AM
My views are simple: We have a "right" to bear arms. That's different than a privilege, it's something we as a nation cannot take lightly. This "right" must be protected, strengthened, fought for. When people try to chip away at that right, we should be building a hedge about it to protect it. We counter opinion with fact when faced with ignorant opposition because the facts about gun control are scary for the common man.

Additionally, I feel the best way for the citizenry to protect their right to bear arms is to exercise that right. That means we should be encouraging antis or non-gun owners to come out and shoot with us. Once the mystery and fear about guns is dispelled, you will have a mind transformed. At the very least, you will have someone who will oppose gun control. At best, you will have a new range partner and vehement supporter of the right to bear arms.

I would also like to thank you for giving this opportunity to others. It's the spirit in which gun enthusiasm should be: People helping people exercise their right to bear arms.

Boostedtwo
December 26, 2012, 09:22 AM
I will become a member when financially I'm better off. I personally think everyone should be a member that collects guns. Like I said I will eventually join.

KDS
December 26, 2012, 10:34 AM
I bought my first gun just before Obama was elected in 2008. It wasn't that I was worried about the election results. I had just been the victim of property theft. Luckily my wife and I weren't home at the time, but I was amazed at the brazen attitude of someone who would come onto my property in the middle of the day to steal my stuff.

Since then, I have been actively enjoying trap and sporting clays, hunting, and pistol and rifle shooting. I got my cc permit (which we shouldn't need according to the Constitution), and volunteer as a hunter safety instructor for my state. I love to introduce kids to the shooting sports. I got into collecting curio and relics and got my ffl for them. I have bought quite a few firearms of all types.

No law on the books will ever keep us safe. No law proposed will change that. I believe there is evil in the world and we need to be prepared to stop it. We won't be able to unless we protect our gun rights. That is why I want to join the NRA. As someone who is working full time and going to school, money is a little tight. But that is no excuse. If I am the one chosen, I would greatly appreciate it. If not, I will join this year anyway.

I appreciate all the great people on this forum. The knowledge here is astounding, but the support is even better.

ChooChoo
December 26, 2012, 11:13 AM
lykoris - "It is one thing as a European that has always puzzled me, so many gun owners and yet such an insignificant number are NRA members.

Unless you support them you are all heading towards European style firearm laws...and believe me there is no going back.

I would eat canned beans until I paid my annual membership."

Ranger Roberts
December 26, 2012, 12:59 PM
For all of you guys that are paying to get a member of this forum a membership to the NRA, hats off to you. Thank you. I would love to offer the same, but the funds aren't currently available (just moved and you know how financially draining that can be). Heck, I can't even renew my membership for another month! Thanks again guys for what you are doing for everyone. You make me proud to be a member of this community.

76shuvlinoff
December 26, 2012, 02:17 PM
Signed up for a 3 year membership today.

UnitMaster
December 26, 2012, 03:16 PM
Part of the responsibility here lies with the NRA. Do the math 4,000,000 members x $50 per person = $200 Million dollars a year, and this doesn't include additional funding calls, and drives. The NRA annual budget lies somewhere around $250 million, of which only about 10% goes to political campaigns.

I agree that every gun owner should be a member, but the NRA has to do a better job of communicating to the public that are not members and run a more efficient public relations campaign.

And for the record, i am an endowment level lifetime NRA member.

danez71
December 26, 2012, 09:34 PM
danez71 , I have sent you a PM . I do not want to steal the OP's thunder but am standing ready for your information. If the OP would like to choose to gift you a membership, than fine. Otherwise, I am prepared to go ahead .

PM sent.

Money is tight but I think that there are others that could use the help more than me. And.. I'm in between houses right now.

Thank you for your gracious offer.

mnrivrat
December 26, 2012, 10:41 PM
I have replied to the PM and will be choosing another member to gift to.

Boostedtwo
December 26, 2012, 10:44 PM
Mnrivrat I want to thank you for your contribution to help a member of thr become a NRA member, Ill sign up hopefully a little after the new year when money is better.

USAF_Vet
December 26, 2012, 11:24 PM
I'm another expired NRA member. My wife isn't working and I've had higher priorities.

10 year Veteran of the USAF, 3 tours OIF, and didn't buy my first gun til 2008 (prior to the election, though).

My take on gun control is this:
Freedom is not a guarantee for safety. 911 is not a guarantee that the bad guys will be caught and do no harm. I and I alone am responsible for my safety. I am responsible for the safety of my wife and kids. I cannot and will not pass that responsibility off onto someone else for the sake of living a little easier and have one less stressful thing to consider.
Guns are a reasonable way to see to the safety of myself and my family. I just recently paid the fees for my CPL, and should have it in hand by the end of January. This is something long overdue, but as I said, finances are stretched and I've had other priorities.

The Constitution of my country and my state protect my right to keep and bear arms. Understanding this, I see every gun law that has been passed since 1791 as unconstitutional.

mnrivrat
December 27, 2012, 12:30 AM
Recon Ron

I have PM'd you for the information I need to complete an NRA membership for you. As soon as I have your info I will proceed. PM it to me when you get to it.

Keith

Recon Ron
December 27, 2012, 02:01 PM
A big thank you to Keith aka mnrivrat for sponsoring me. It means a lot to have some one I have never met be so generous.

Also a big hi-five to all the other donors and contributors in this thread. This is why we will never lose our rights, the 2a community is tight knit and will never give up.

Proud to be a soon NRA member again.

Alexander

Vonderek
December 27, 2012, 02:41 PM
I think it's great that more gunowners join the NRA but keep in mind the NRA spends most of it's resources on non-political endeavors. As funds permit, please consider donating to the NRA-ILA and NRA-PVF. These are the legislative and political campaign arms of the organization and are not funded by regular membership dues. The big fight will be in the halls of Congress and that is the domain of NRA-ILA.

mnrivrat
December 27, 2012, 02:53 PM
Recon Ron

I have sent you a PM to varify that I have gifted you a membership. Thanks for the oppertunity to grow the NRA .

Keith (mnrivrat)

PS : I have beened contacted by another member here who plans on gifting up to several memberships so I Thank the OP and others who join in this oppertunity to help.

05kas05
December 27, 2012, 03:13 PM
i am not a member of the nra as of yet i will not be able to pick up my membership until the 15th of next month i just hope its not to late by then.but belive you me i will be sure to get that NRA membership instead of that extra box of ammo when that time comes.hope to join the ranks soon.
keep up the good work guys!!!!!

mcdonl
December 27, 2012, 03:24 PM
haha... for the past 5 or so years it has beem THR and TFL that have reminded me to pay my dues...

mcdonl
December 27, 2012, 06:34 PM
Johnny. Sorry that happened. Let me know if the offer stands. It would be a big surprise to my brother who is a disabled vet and too cheap/poor to join.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HarcyPervin
December 27, 2012, 06:54 PM
I don't know why I have never had a membership, I have no good excuse other than I was used to being broke as a college student etc.

Seeing this changed my mind. If you can do this, I can at least cover mine.

Add one more to the ranks.

Boostedtwo
December 27, 2012, 08:55 PM
id love to have a membership

Boostedtwo
December 27, 2012, 09:27 PM
Thanks Johnny Dollar, what do I need to do?

Crash_Test_Dhimmi
December 27, 2012, 09:33 PM
Give it to a soldier (or Airman, Marine, Sailor, Coastguardsman)

Boostedtwo
December 27, 2012, 09:35 PM
responded, thanks again Johnny

cvoharley
December 27, 2012, 11:30 PM
After reading this thread last night, I have decided to match thelaststand, mnrivrat, & Johnny Dollar's offer as well. I am willing to offer 4 individual one year memberships to the NRA as well. All you have to do is PM me your information. This is a first come, first served basis. I'll consider it my Christmas present to the group. What I need to know is:

Personal Information
Title:
First Name:
Middle:
Last Name:
Suffix:
Required for Junior and Distinguished membership.

Contact Information
Address:

City:
State/Province:
Zip/Postal Code:
Phone Number: US/Canadian Only
E-mail Address:

It's as simple as that. I will fill out the form on the NRA website and you will receive the benefits for 1 year. It looks like as of right now,All memberships are spoken for at this time. :D

srtolly
December 28, 2012, 01:19 AM
PM sent to Harley.

Boostedtwo
December 28, 2012, 03:48 PM
I cannot believe that there are generous members willing to donate memberships to NRA and no one is speaking up, I for 1 cannot wait to become a member.

KDS
December 28, 2012, 03:56 PM
PM sent to cvoharley.

mcdonl
December 28, 2012, 09:41 PM
Johnny, my brother is thrilled. Thanks for doing this!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

solman
December 28, 2012, 09:56 PM
Thats Very generous of our members here on this forum. I just upped my membership to lifetime so my funds are low for a while. I had not thought of doing it :banghead: but kudos to you. We as shooters and gun owners have to do better as a group and get our NRA membership % higher to help combat the anti's.

preachnhunt
December 28, 2012, 10:10 PM
You all are doing a good thing. I can't offer a membership to anyone right now ,but I just rejoined myself. In the near future I hope to join you in helping others with membership.

cvoharley
December 29, 2012, 12:40 AM
It is my pleasure to announce that the NRA has four NEW members as of this evening. Jlr2267, srtolly, KDS, & TheGuyOnTheCouch you have all been signed up (or in the case of Couch Guy his Aunt). Your first year's membership has been billed to my credit card, I hope you find value in the membership and are encouraged to renew next year as well as maybe giving a little good will towards all of the good people here on the High Road forum. We have many potential obstacles to our right to keep and bear arms in the coming year. I hope this encourages other to do whatever it is you can to help the cause. Write your Congressman & Senators to let them know how you feel. What ever it is, be motivated and do something. Wishing everyone a Happy New Year!

KDS
December 29, 2012, 11:11 AM
Many thanks to cvoharley and all the other members here who are helping out with memberships!

KLL
December 29, 2012, 08:27 PM
Very good,sir! I still have one gift membership open. Post or PM me. 3 down,1 left. :)
If you still have one to give, I'd proudly accept it.

horsemen61
December 30, 2012, 02:03 AM
Johhny dollar Id love a membership if you are still doing it thank you:D:D:D:D:D or any of you guys/gals that want to give one out I am in college and money is very tight

KLL
December 30, 2012, 07:56 PM
I was pledging 4 memberships and KLL just got #4. :) But Mrs. Dollar just told me she'll go for one more next month. Being a teacher, she's got a soft spot for students. :what:

So, remind me on about January 20th, when her stipend comes in, and we will get you an NRA membership,horsemen! :D Trust me! ;)
After thinking about it, please sponsor horsemen61, I will pay for mine (after all they are offering memberships for $10 now). We need as many members as we can get, and I have no excuse not to cough up a few bucks for it.

mnrivrat
January 1, 2013, 04:26 PM
i'm going to bump this one time to make sure all business is completed regarding this thread.

One last chance to help someone become an NRA member, and further the cause of RTKBA .

My heart felt thanks to those who participated .

Besides writing my represenitives, and doing all else I can think of, and can aford . It gave me great personal satisfaction to participate in the OP's idea . I hope he has also found someone to sponser, and that his gift gives him as much satisfaction as mine has.

Keith

Ifishsum
January 1, 2013, 06:24 PM
I will also gift a membership to the next poster who wants to claim it (looks like all previous posters are already covered?) - please be sure to PM me with your information (see post #53) and choice of magazine.

edit: now spoken for

horsemen61
January 1, 2013, 07:16 PM
Thank you johnny Dollar for your kindness :D

CookeMonster
January 2, 2013, 12:45 AM
I will also gift a membership to the next poster who wants to claim it (looks like all previous posters are already covered?) - please be sure to PM me with your information (see post #53) and choice of magazine.

edit: now spoken for
Much thanks, Ifishsum. Glad to be an additional number behind the movement.

Ifishsum
January 2, 2013, 03:11 AM
Welcome CookeMonster!

anchorman
January 2, 2013, 05:02 AM

I'm not trying to start anything here, and I admire the sentiment of gifting NRA memberships to others who don't have the extra cash right now to do so, but I thought I'd share with others why at least a few people find it hard to send the NRA our hard earned money.

If they would stick to fighting exclusively for our second amendment rights, it would be a lot easier for a lot of the 76 million gun owners out there who are not members to support them. I'm not going to get into detail here on all of the specifics, but my impression (and that of friends of mine who would otherwise support them) is that they stray into what could be described as "conservative politics" too much, instead focusing exclusively on second amendment rights. I'd be bothered if they were straying into so called "liberal politics" too. I'm not interested in arguing the merits of liberal vs. conservative on other issues, though many others may want to go down that road. I don't advocates of my second amendment rights wasting rights wasting a moment of their time trying to cure random social ills, from imagined (or real) voter fraud to childhood obesity, or anything else plaguing our nation. I want them advocating for my second amendment rights. If I wanted to advocate for or against anything else, I would (and I do) give money to other groups who lobby congress and educate the public about other things I find important. Our second amendment rights, however, should be something that people of all political persuasions should be fighting to protect. Hopefully that is something all of us who are members here at THR can get behind.

The other reason I have for not being a member (yet), is that my friend finally broke down and joined the NRA this summer, and they sent him some cheesy chinese made duffle bag as a thank you "gift". I don't know about y'all, but I'm not interested in giving them money so that they can go buy slave labor made duffle bags overseas to give to me. I want them spending every dime I give them lobbying congress and educating the public, so we can quit worrying about media figures spreading fear and misinformation regarding firearms.

Don't get me wrong, I'm entirely thankful for much of the work that the NRA does on behalf of all of us. But when they stray from their mission and get mixed up in other things, it complicates everything for those of us who would love to actively support them.

I'll probably join them anyway, since they do have a pretty good track record of pulling the votes together to oppose the idiots pushing to restrict our god given and constitutionally protected right to bear arms for our own and the common defense, but it will be grudgingly. I really hate to do anything grudgingly. If someone is feeling gracious, maybe please convince me that I should be happy about doing this (in a DM so as not to hijack the thread). If you can convince me, I'll have a hell of an easier time convincing my friends ;)

Yosemite Sam
January 2, 2013, 06:12 AM
anchorman:

* I've never heard or read about the non-2nd amendment activities of the NRA like "childhood obesity" or "voter fraud." And side note, how is childhood obesity a partisan issue instead of a public health issue? I can't follow your logic. Can you please provide links where I can read about the NRA dabbling in things unrelated to the 2nd Amendment? The only thing I can think of is wildlife conservation efforts to preserve certain lands.

* Regarding the Chinese-made free gifts the NRA throws in for memberships, there is always a checkbox to not receive any of the gifts but simply have the entire monetary contribution go towards NRA.

anchorman
January 2, 2013, 06:35 AM
Yosemite Sam,

That is good to know about the checkbox. I hope people check it. As to the other examples, I was trying not to get too political and stir up a hornets nest, so I mentioned some hypothetical things a person might get worked up over. maybe not the best way to make a point... and you're right, childhood obesity is a public health problem, but how we as a nation deal with it involves politics. I'm trying to keep the politics here aimed at promoting the right to keep and bear arms. Dig around and you can find enough information about the NRA dabbling in various "conservative" causes. Or maybe it's the NRA-ILA? I get confused as to who is what and where the money is flowing. If the NRA proper is not doing the lobbying, why join them in order to have them as an advocate? Anyway, my point was that 2A rights are not a liberal or conservative thing, they are a universal thing that we all need to work together to promote and protect. I see too often people blaming liberals rather than reaching out to them. Brady campaign is run by a bunch of wealthy republicans. Feinstein, Schumer, et. al. are wealthy democrats. There are pro and anti RKBA people on both sides of the political fence and everywhere in between. My point was to keep our eyes and minds open and look for ways to stick together on this issue. When the NRA is perceived by otherwise sympathetic people as moving well out of their mandate, they loose potential members. to use an extreme example, if they were promoting abortion, a good chunk of their members would be appalled and leave the organization. The same holds true if they are seeking to restrict abortion, a bunch of people with different beliefs will be turned off. That's why I wish they would stay miles away from other issues not related to RKBA, since it just creates division, when we need to stick together. Kind of like this forum here at THR: politics not related to guns and the like is frowned upon.

I want to have strong advocates focused 100% of their professional time on protecting the second amendment since, as others have pointed out, once they restrict your rights, its damn hard to get them back.

mnrivrat
January 2, 2013, 07:15 AM
I'm not going to get into detail here on all of the specifics, but my impression (and that of friends of mine who would otherwise support them) is that they stray into what could be described as "conservative politics" too much, instead focusing exclusively on second amendment rights.

I would guess that almost every member of the NRA has at least some bone to pick with the organization. I think one has to decide whether the overall effort is worth supporting.

My opinion is that without them we would have lost a lot more of our rights pertaining to the 2nd amendment than what we have so far. And in the future, they are the political power we need.

If not the NRA then who ? And when the threat to our rights come from polititians, than how does one NOT play in the political field ?

If one wants to make changes in how the NRA operates, then what better way than to be part of the system .

gym
January 30, 2013, 05:11 PM
Do they send new cards out each year, I re-upped a few months ago, got a hat and a magazine but no card? Still have my old card.

theboyscout
January 30, 2013, 05:35 PM
Gun Control,

This whole thing is being misunderstood and the wrong people are being blamed. I first ask you what is an "assault rifle"? Exactly to call a gun an assault rifle that is any gun (in my opinion) that is being used for wrong. If a gun is not being used right then you donít deserve it. Truly the only one to blame about this gun nonsense is the mother who did not put her guns away correctly. She knew her son was sick and did nothing about it. She should have never had a gun in the first place.

My idea of gun control is to be able to control the gun youíre using. There are rules to guns for a reason and they should be respected. Meaning felons should not have guns. But trying to take the honest manís gun is wrong. The declaration says we have a right to bear arms. This was written in an older time but it still applies because itís true. This written in case our government was ever overrun by enemy forces. We (the citizens) were supposed to protect our land and property and we were granted the ability to own military weapons. By law I believe we are supposed to be able to obtain military approved guns and ammunition. Not saying fully automatic guns, but if the guns was used in the military it was to be civilianized (semiautomatic or less) for us to use to protect our country and proper/ our friends and family. Thatís the American way. Thatís the way I believe in. thatís how guns should be controlled.

The Boy Scout,

EBK
January 30, 2013, 06:14 PM
"If you are not an NRA member and you would like a free membership (that I will pay for), please post and explain your views on gun control, assault weapons bans, mag capacity limits, etc."

Two word answer. MOLON LABE

I believe the 1934 NFA and the 1986 hughes amendment should be repealed.

If a person can not be trusted with a firearms they should not be in public.

I was a member of the NRA until this month when my membership expired. I will renew when I have the money available.

EBK
January 30, 2013, 06:20 PM
Exactly. My thinking is that most folks that arent NRA members make that choice from ethical or philosophical or political reasons.

In which case their accepting $$ to do so is hypocritical and counter-productive to their position.

Or some of us can barely afford the box of bullets to practice with and have to make a choice between being able to practice or sending money to the NRA.

I have chosen to practice.

When I am able to I will renew my membership.

gym
January 30, 2013, 07:51 PM
Thanks Johnny,
As far as being an NRA member is concerned, if you shoot, and believe in the right to bar arms, you should be a member of the only "real" organization that defends that right, even if they don't meet you're expectations.
Because no one else is going to carry the ball .
Much discussion goes on about our rights, but if people don't exercise their right to protest unjust laws and corrupt politicians then we lose what we have. The NRA may not be perfect, but until something better comes along, anyone who believes in the Constitution, should at least donate the small amount for what they do, without question.
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-locally/grassroots/write-your-reps.aspx

walking arsenal
January 30, 2013, 08:12 PM
I'm not a member. But I wouldn't mind being one. As a college student and a student teacher a little help with the funds would be nice.

I'm a strong supporter of the 2A who believes guns are not just for hunting but for the necessary right that guarantees a free country to it's citizens.

XD 45acp
January 30, 2013, 09:49 PM
Walking Arsenal, I will gift you a 1 year membership. PM me the info :

Personal Information
Title:
First Name:
Middle:
Last Name:
Suffix:
Required for Junior and Distinguished membership.

Contact Information
Address:

City:
State/Province:
Zip/Postal Code:
Phone Number: US/Canadian Only
E-mail Address

Rowdy1
January 30, 2013, 10:03 PM
Great thread!
I love the generosity of the majority of the the shooting community. I have never been a member of the NRA because I didn't always agree with them. This thread made me realize it's time to join the biggest organization fighting for our rights on a daily basis. I just joined! Thanks to the members helping those that can't afford to join, we need to swell the ranks to of the NRA so the gun grabbers realize we are not going to sit idlely by while they take our rights away.

XD 45acp
January 30, 2013, 10:06 PM
Congrats Rowdy, yea, some stuff in the past with the NRA I differ with, but all in all, they have alot of pull.

dh55
January 30, 2013, 10:32 PM
The truth is, the vast majority of the American people support the President's plan to keep the most dangerous weapons out of the hands of criminals and those who would do harm, and most importantly out of our schools.

While the House of Representatives' job is to represent the people, the NRA is a lobbying group who try to prevent that from happening - especially when the people support gun violence measures that would do nothing but keep society's most vulnerable members safe, while protecting our second amendment rights to hunting and keeping a gun for defense. What the NRA along with house republicans are doing is unconstitutional, and I would urge you to support a more worthwhile organization.

hso
January 31, 2013, 08:00 AM
the vast majority

What evidence do you have that the "vast majority of Americans" support banning any firearms? That happens to be one of the stated elements in the plan announced by the president in spite of his clear and public statement that "cheap handguns" not "assault weapons" were the what was being used in Chicago. The polls don't reflect this so how can the vast majority be claimed to be in support of it?

The assertion that anything unconstitutional is being done by the NRA is absurd and I challenge you to support that contention with some facts.

BTW, if you don't agree with all the NRA's positions or tactics, like the President's, then support the ILA (which is where we actually need to be sending support) or the SAF or JPFO or your state 2A organization. But do not sit on the sidelines and just throw stones.

XD 45acp
January 31, 2013, 09:49 AM
Walking, don't know if you received my PM's, but anyway the offer still stands if you change yer mind.

Ya know, the information needed to sign up folks as a gift is alot to give out to a stranger and I can't blame anybody for not wanting to give all that out freely with all the I.D. theft out there. The NRA needs to devise a way so neither party sees the other's info. Maybe like an invitation page where you invite someone to join by email address, put in your financial info, then if that person accepts, they fill in their info, then it sends the invitation offerer a note saying it was accepted and they have been billed. EH, just a thought...

armedaccountant
January 31, 2013, 01:23 PM
My view on gun laws and policies is simple

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

In my opinion that means if the military has access to a firearm the populace should as well. I would probably never buy a fully automatic weapon, but that should be my choice not the governments.

One of the most important things to me is firearm education and safety. I've let some anti-2a acquaintances shoot some of my guns before, and afterwards they were a lot less scared of guns because they weren't so foreign.

I also believe that firearms education should start early. My son is currently 3 years old. We were out shooting an air rifle the other day and I told him to go reset the cans we were shooting at. He looked at me and told me to open the loading gate on the air rifle and point it in a safe direction before he was willing to go downrange. Made me proud.

If you enjoyed reading about "I am giving a gift NRA membership to a member of this forum" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!