American Medical Association : Homicide and Suicide Rates

PDA

mrreynolds
December 26, 2012, 04:01 AM
Homicide and Suicide Rates Associated With Implementation of the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act

American Medical Association reports Brady Implementation ineffective.

Article: Homicide and Suicide Rates Associated With Implementation of the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act (http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=192946)

PDF Document: Homicide and Suicide Rates Associated With Implementation of the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act (http://jama.jamanetwork.com/data/Journals/JAMA/4746/JOC91749.pdf)

If you enjoyed reading about "American Medical Association : Homicide and Suicide Rates" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rjrivero
December 26, 2012, 05:07 AM
At least JAMA is honest.

Art Eatman
December 26, 2012, 10:22 AM
My mother was for seventeen years a clinical psychologist. In casual conversation with her and colleagues, the comment was common that those who would commit suicide would find some other method if a first effort did not work. If a gun is not available, anything from hanging through razor blades to poison or head in a gas oven will be used.

Women rarely use guns in suicide. A pain-killer drug plus booze is fairly common.

Tommygunn
December 26, 2012, 11:48 AM
At one point I read a report that indicated that when firearms are removed, the suicide rate at first dips, then climbs and climbs past the point of origin, and then peaks at a high rate, and then returns to the original level. On one side a trough, on the other a hill, both of which seem to have equal volume on a graph. The author stated it was believed that the suicides were initially prevented but they found other means, as the removal of firearms did not treat the cause or motive behind the suicides.
To me this seems to support Art Eastman's observation in the prior post.

MarshallDodge
December 26, 2012, 12:01 PM
In doing some research I found an interesting statistic. In Japan there were 40,000 suicides during 2011. Not one that I could find was committed with a handgun.

svtruth
December 26, 2012, 03:21 PM
You can do a less rigorous, but still illuminating, study for yourself by comparing Brady grades with levels of gun violence. If the steps the Brady group advocates do truly lead to reductions in gun violence, then states with high grades (California, for instance) will have low levels of violence and, conversely, states with poor Brady grades (Vermont and Utah, for example) will have high rates of gun violence. I doubt if I have to inform this audience that the results do not pan out that way.

If you enjoyed reading about "American Medical Association : Homicide and Suicide Rates" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!