Strangulation by lanyards

PDA

Piraticalbob
December 26, 2012, 08:58 AM
CALGARY — Rocky View Schools officials are figuring out how their schools will handle a new ban on lanyard use implemented after a student at Bearspaw School nearly strangled to death on one last week.

Meanwhile, crisis response team members will return to the school Monday and remain as long as they are needed to help students and staff cope with the incident.

“It’s been very heartbreaking for everyone,” said school board spokeswoman Angela Spanier.

Education Minister Jeff Johnson told reporters late Friday the use of lanyards has been banned in all Alberta schools. He said students at the majority of the province’s more than 2,000 schools use lanyards for hall passes, washroom passes and identification.

Complete story here. (http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/Calgary+area+schools+move+forward+without+lanyards+wake/7707217/story.html)

If you enjoyed reading about "Strangulation by lanyards" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WardenWolf
December 26, 2012, 01:03 PM
They couldn't just be smart and require they be the breakaway kind. Oh, no, they had to outright ban them.

rcmodel
December 26, 2012, 01:16 PM
There is a dog-tag bead chain shortage in Canada???

Or they haven't heard about them yet??

rc

lemaymiami
December 26, 2012, 01:23 PM
As a guy who pretty much lived on the dark side of the street for many years (most cops know a lot more about back doors and back alleys than than the nice front sides of things....) lanyards weren't anything to get all fired up about. My first choice for close quarters would be a nice, brand new, dog leash....

hso
December 26, 2012, 04:21 PM
This is the case of a kid wearing something that wasn't breakaway and nearly getting killed.

Not something to make fun of. No child should be wearing anything around their neck that doesn't break before coming anywhere near choking them to death.

Zeke/PA
December 26, 2012, 04:25 PM
I hope lanyards ain't outlawed here in the near future as one of my winter projects is making paracord Duck Law lanyards for all of my waterfowl hunting buddies.

JShirley
December 26, 2012, 04:36 PM
A breakaway can be cheaply made by using some dogtag chain somewhere in the loop. Or the entire lanyard can be dogtag chain.

John

hso
December 27, 2012, 12:19 AM
There are a variety of ways to make a lanyard a breakaway, but I see tons of them out there that make no provision for this simple safety feature.

rcmodel
December 27, 2012, 12:26 AM
+1
The para-cord weaving bracelets & neck knife hanger things scares the crap out of me!!

Para-cord don't break!

I had to saw my father off of a combine auger with a hack-saw while he was hanging 5 feet off the ground by his wedding ring finger when I was 7 years old!!

He could not have survived a para-cord necklace while I was running to get a hacksaw out of the truck tool box and climbing out on that auger to cut his ring off his finger.

Since then?
The only thing that goes around my neck is bead-chain.
The only thing that goes around my wrest has watch band pins in it.
And I have never worn a ring on my finger except for social functions of some kind that required it.

rc

icanthitabarn
December 27, 2012, 02:15 AM
Very good job, again, RC, even at that age you were competent. Must have been a tough thing.

Mp7
December 27, 2012, 05:39 AM
Great to see the extremely boring canada-bashing turned into a safety thread :-)

Even ties and scarves freak me out. I guess its my martial arts training
that makes it feel extremely wrong to have anything like that around the neck.

(I once had to cut a guy loose who had entangled his long-fashion-shawl-thing
into the backwheel of his bike. He fell of course. And only bruised himself. He was the type of guy who even then looked at me funny for carrying a large folder EDC)

Esoxchaser
December 27, 2012, 06:53 AM
The only thing that goes around my wrest has watch band pins in it.

Very valid point. And it never occurred to me. I don't wear a ring while working around heavy equipment, but I usually wear a Betrucci field watch, which has a heavy band and no pins. (Or should I say used to wear) Do love the Betruccis for their quality at a reasonable price, and they are the only ones that survive long, because the bezel is lower than the case rim...........http://www.titanium-watches.net/bertucci-a2tel-titanium-field-watch/

hso
December 27, 2012, 09:44 AM
Anything you hang around your neck that won't break away can strangle you if caught in machinery, usually rotating machinery. There are any number of "amusing" pictures out there of some guy who caught his tie in a shredder (the one below is supposed to be an actual incident).
http://api.plixi.com/api/tpapi.svc/imagefromurl?size=medium&url=http://lockerz.com/s/202687274

Since there are a lot of neck knives out there and we've touched on strangulation risks with the lanyards this is a good thread to point out that we hang a lot of things on lanyards at work and off the job whether it be key cards and badges or house keys and neck knives. Each and every one of these lanyards should have a breakaway feature.

We still see endless lanyards without these. My daughter is in HS and her older cousins are undergrads in college so we have the opportunity to see a lot of what is cheaply put out there. While she won't wear a lanyard around her neck she does have neck knives and a house key on a ball chain. Everyone of what she has is set up with a break away feature to reduce the chance of strangling her. I've shown her and one other cousin how to tie a breakaway into a paracord lanyard so they can show their friends who use paracord and don't have the feature. Even just joining the paracord with a short length of ball chain helps make it safer to wear.

BTW, the breakaway knot is very simple. Just tie a noose on one end of the paracord and then fold over the other end and insert the loop into the noose and pull tight. Yank on the cord and the loop pulls through the noose freeing the ends. If it is too loose for your liking simply double your loop in the noose.

JShirley
December 27, 2012, 12:18 PM
100% dogtag chain for neck/pocket lanyards. It's a little more expensive than 550 cord, but knives should be tools to help keep the user safe.

Piraticalbob
December 27, 2012, 06:03 PM
Hso, please clear your IM queue.

poolingmyignorance
December 27, 2012, 07:38 PM
Not sure why a kid needs a lanyard ... hood maybe? Hat? I dunno.. I know in cold windy weather they help. With small and young children anything around the neck or any dangling cord is a potential hazard, I'd like to remind you of the Mike Tyson tragedy with his youngest daughter and the tredmill "saftey lanyard".
But from a saftey point of view : Any loose clothing (think long sleves unzipped jackets,) jewery,chains, rings, watches, (sometimes even plastic bands) even long hair,can become entangled in rotating/moving parts. Leading to serious and even fatal injury. I've seen somebody get their arm broken wearing gloves while using a drill( a long shaving snaged the wrist band and drug him in) , and at a nearby shop a maintance man got scalped by the drive arm of a similar machine.. nasty injuries almost bled to death. And any of you who do maching work have seen the pic of the guy "degloved" by his wedding ring. Whenever possible, don't work alone.

rcmodel
December 27, 2012, 07:58 PM
Not sure why a kid needs a lanyard It said in the OP:
He said students at the majority of the province’s more than 2,000 schools use lanyards for hall passes, washroom passes and identification
rc

Coop45
December 27, 2012, 08:12 PM
Obviously you guys are too young to remember Sgt Preston of the Yukon and his wonder dog King. Sgt Preston used a lanyard to keep from loosing that ugly Webley in the snow when fighting with evil doers. If any of those youngsters grow up to be RCMP, they won't know what to do with their lanyard.

rcmodel
December 27, 2012, 08:20 PM
Too young to remember??

"On, King! On, you huskies!"

rc

mgmorden
December 28, 2012, 12:20 AM
Not sure why a kid needs a lanyard

Most likely ID cards. Heck I've been out of high school for 13 years now and even then we had to wear ID cards on lanyards.

bigfatdave
December 28, 2012, 07:23 AM
Coop45, we're not talking about gear-retention lanyards

===

Another break-away option is to use a piece of rubber hose or tubing that the lanyard ends will just barely fit into.

kBob
December 28, 2012, 08:45 AM
As this is "Non-firearms weapons" I was expecting to see an article about one kid using a lanyard to choike another.

This as it is seems less on topic than say the discussion about steel helmets that was removed last month or so ago.

On the other hand it seems to be a source of bashing the schools' choice to ban the use of lanyards and many wisecracks are made about the stupidity of the schools. Instead of moaning about what those schools do , why not send some Canadian schools including Bear Paw Elem the sort of breack away dog tag chains every one says are the simple answer?

As for removing artcles that could be used as a weapon most of us know that the real weapon lies between the ears. I was once in the back seat of a car while a drunken crazed person up front went berzerk and was striking out hard enough that he cracked the windshield. Being at that time in a "weapon free" condition and in the center of the seat with one or more people on either side of me and hurtling down the road at high speed while the driver fended off blows from the nut ball, I beleived it in my best interest to "do Something." I removed my belt, a military uniform cotton web type, Looped it around nut boy's neck and pulled him mostly back with us in the back seat and applied pressure until he became stuporous. Others then secured him and we took him to the dispensory...... where he got free and injured someone else before being himself injured to the point of hospitalization.

There...non firearm weapon.

-kBob

hso
December 28, 2012, 10:59 AM
Since a lot of us use neck knives, how we hang them around out necks safely is a concern (something like sheaths being how we carry a knife being of interest).

Others have pointed out that a lanyard for a neck knife itself can be used against you if an attacker can get their hands on it.

The incident in Canada helps illustrate how something you might not give a thought to, a lanyard, can be a danger in itself.

Zeke/PA
December 29, 2012, 11:41 AM
rc, Saftey concerns rule of course BUT my bunch wouldn't THINK of climbing into a Goose Pit/ Duck Blind without at LEAST 6or 8 Duck/Goose calls dangling from a Lanyard(S)
Respectfully, Zeke

rcmodel
December 29, 2012, 12:27 PM
Well I don't suppose there is hardly any chance of accidently hanging yourself, or getting throttled with a laynard by a hunting buddy in a goose blind. :scrutiny:

Maybe?
But you know your hunting buddys better then I do! :D

rc

22-rimfire
December 29, 2012, 01:27 PM
Maybe someone to post a link to a break away connection that one could buy and install with a lanyard. We have cats and those break away collars are a recipe for buying new collars almost weekly. Runs into a lot of money.

Zeke/PA
December 29, 2012, 04:05 PM
rc, The "new thing " is having 6 or so calls on ONE lanyard.
Not everyone is NECSSARILY sane.
Sometimes my sentiments are with the Waterfowl.
Respectfully, Zeke

rcmodel
December 29, 2012, 04:17 PM
Yea! I know things have changed.

When I used to duck & goose hunt a lot years ago, I could scare them away just fine with only one call!

rc

Deltaboy
December 30, 2012, 07:28 PM
The Free ones we get from the Army and Marines are all break away. The Maple Leaf boys are running behind the times.

Cal-gun Fan
December 31, 2012, 11:21 PM
...just how do you almost strangle yourself with a lanyard whilst you're using the bathroom? My school and all the other schools I've been to or visited use them...nobody's ever managed to hurt themselves. Just don't see them as a huge danger to society :rolleyes:

Jorg Nysgerrig
January 1, 2013, 12:08 AM
Maybe someone to post a link to a break away connection that one could buy and install with a lanyard.
No affiliation with the site, but you can find them at places like this: http://www.usalanyards.com/safety-breakaway-buckles.aspx

BLB68
January 1, 2013, 05:28 AM
...just how do you almost strangle yourself with a lanyard whilst you're using the bathroom? My school and all the other schools I've been to or visited use them...nobody's ever managed to hurt themselves. Just don't see them as a huge danger to society :rolleyes:

Maybe not to society, but certainly to that kid. Remember, by adult standards, children are bat guano crazy. It's not so hard to slip and have a lanyard catch on something in a bathroom.

If you enjoyed reading about "Strangulation by lanyards" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!