.45ACP for Heavy Metal Division

PDA

stubbicatt
December 26, 2012, 10:19 AM
Guys. Been thinking of running a 45 in He Man or Heavy Metal division in 3gun this year. I thought about a 1911 pattern pistol, but for the moment am not particularly interested in one. I would rather a double stack "hi cap" type pistol to make mag changes less frequent.

Held the Glock, and I like my Glock 19, but the 45 Glock is just too big for my hands. I remember shooting a XD several years ago, but don't really remember it all that well.

Suggestions? Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about ".45ACP for Heavy Metal Division" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CountGlockulla
December 26, 2012, 10:24 AM
HK45.

They are very nice, ergonomic handguns. Have a 10 round capacity and are custom 1911 accurate. The first time I shot one was at a range. I rented it to test along side my Les Baer 1911 and it was every bit as accurate, so much so that I bought one at the range store that day.

Water-Man
December 26, 2012, 10:25 AM
Bought an XD45 Service for my son about six-seven years ago. It's been 100% since day one.

tarakian
December 26, 2012, 11:04 AM
Para P-14, fit's my small hands great and 14+1 of .45 ready to go.

GLI45
December 27, 2012, 01:59 AM
There are a number of excellent options available, but you should take a look at STI. They have a number of hi-cap models that could fit your needs. I own an Eagle, Edge, and Tactical 4.0 and each would probably work for you. (I shoot my Edge in competition.) Great triggers, buttery smooth operation, and VERY accurate. Don't know what your budget will allow, but these run about $1800 - $2000.

http://www.stiguns.com/products/guns/pistols/2011-pistols/

weisse52
December 27, 2012, 09:09 AM
Before you rule out a G21, try the SF or maybe a Gen 4. If that don't work a STI is q good but expensive option.

stubbicatt
December 27, 2012, 04:08 PM
Thanks guys. I am trying to find the time to read the rules, but one is not limited to single stack 1911's is one? There are so many sponsoring bodies for 3 gun or 2 gun or what have you, and I really don't have a screaming desire to simply shoot IPSC or USPSA type matches. For me, this is an opportunity to learn how to shoot better on the move with a rifle more than a handgun, or learn to use them both.

I like my Glock 19, I do. But the frame size on the 21 is just too darned large. H&K might be a good alternative, I saw a decent review on youtube at MAC. I don't know just yet what I want to do here. I was looking at the FN FNP or FNX, which near as I can tell replaced the FNP, but reviews suggest it has a large grip area as well. 15 rounds of 45 sure is intriguing though. Price and availability are an issue these days.

One of the nicer things about 9mm is that ammo is so much less expensive, when it is available. I am set up to reload, but loading pistol rounds is so tedious. Perhaps I will wait out the storm and see which way the wind blows here in a couple of months before deciding on shooting heavy metal. The costs of this game nearly double if one shoots 308 instead of 223 and 45 instead of 9mm. I shoot 12 ga pump anyways, so that is not a real issue from my perspective.

1KPerDay
December 27, 2012, 08:45 PM
Every he man or heavy metal division I've heard of limits mags to 10 rounds for pistol. My club does as well. Correct me if you learn otherwise.

If you enjoyed reading about ".45ACP for Heavy Metal Division" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!