Sighting in a .243?

PDA

kennygarza
March 4, 2004, 07:59 PM
Please help me with sighting in my .243. I've got bullet holes touching eachother @ 60 yds, center target. How high should I sight it in? I'm going to be using this gun primarily for Texas whitetail and the occassional coyote. Much thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sighting in a .243?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
riddleofsteel
March 4, 2004, 10:31 PM
Sight in your rifle 3 inches high at 100 yards.

You will be able to aim dead on out to any distance you have any business shooting a game animal at in the first pace.

riddleofsteel
March 4, 2004, 10:40 PM
http://www.biggameinfo.com/BalCalc.aspx

If you want to get fancy plug your numbers in here;

Over the years I have figured 100's of sight in figures using my Pact II Chronograph and for the .308/30-06 based family of crtridges with projectiles bucking just under 3000 FPS it always comes out 3 inches or so high at 100 yards.

PBR would be around 300 yards for your .243 with a 100 grain bullet

Art Eatman
March 5, 2004, 12:50 AM
While 3" high at 100 yards will work, I've always preferred 1-1/2" to 2" for the .243. This puts you dead on around 200, and maybeso 6" low at 300. Using this sight-in, you don't have to think about hold-under or hold-over when trying to be precise on Bambi. Most shots are gonna be within 150 yards, anyway, and the less thinking needed when trying to get a shot off, the better.

Hunting west of Austin, and over north of Uvalde, I don't recall many deer at over 75 to 100 yards. Maybe even less on coyotes, calling them in.

A .243 on a poor old coyote at 20 to 30 yards is rather ruinacious.

:), Art

Chuck Dye
March 5, 2004, 02:34 AM
Go to

http://www.norma.cc/htm_files/javapagee.htm

and play. There are a couple of .243 loads in the "Hunting Cartridges" section. Better yet, get the B.C. , weight, and muzzle velocity of your chosen load and use the "Define your own bullet" routine. You should take the results as estimates or predictions, a great place to start testing.

jimbo
March 5, 2004, 04:29 AM
I'm with Art. 2" over at 100.

riddleofsteel
March 5, 2004, 07:43 AM
I guess it depends on your preference. 2" high at 100 will work but at longer distances you will have to caculate holdover.

3" high at 100 will give you an extra 35 yards on the long end without holdover extending max PBR to 335 yards.

With a 2" at 100 yard setting you will be over 8" low at 335 yards with no holdover. max PBR 299 yards.

With a 3" high at 100 yard zero you shoot dead on from 0 to 335 yards on a deer with a 8" kill zone on its chest.

With a 2" high hold at 100 yards you shoot dead on from 0 to 299 yards.

I prefer 3" high in case I underestimate the distance at the long end turning a miss into a hit. I see no disadvantage on the short end either. I hunted deer in NC with a 6 mm Remington for 5 seasons taking about 20 deer from 10 yards out to 325 yards. All were clean kills and I did not have to figure distance before I shot. Great cartridge.

Art Eatman
March 5, 2004, 11:40 AM
riddleofsteel, your deal works, sure. No argument. I guess I've always figured that if Bambi was "on out there", I had plenty of time to work at estimating the distance and more time to figure any holdover. Generally, the deer I've spotted at 300 or 400 yards didn't know I was there. A lot of my opinions on this go back to my doing so much walking hunting, where it's often "Up, jump, and shoot, right now!" It seems to me that for snap shots, the point of aim and the point of impact oughta be pretty close together. Maybe my deal is for a worst-case scenario.

:), Art

BORE HUNTER
March 5, 2004, 01:45 PM
thanks riddleofsteel for that link to those trajectory tables. might be easier than looking in the book. plus this is printable.

Sunray
March 5, 2004, 04:38 PM
3" high at 100 puts you on out to about 300 yards. Mind you, if you've never shot at 300 yards, it's a very long way. If you can, sight in, off a bench, 3" high at 100 and shoot the fabled 9" pie plate at 300. No off-hand at that distance though. Use a good solid rest. The pie plate is for practicing at 100 yards, off-hand. Practice until you can hit it every time.

riddleofsteel
March 5, 2004, 07:08 PM
Reading back over my posts I realize that it may sound as if I am defending a posistion. I was not. I was simply attempting to explain my simple sighting in method. On deer size game I set up my sight in to utilize the maximum PBR for that cartridge and load combo. That allows me to concentrate on hunting, not figuring distance. I do not use snap shots very often at all. I mostly hunt from tower stands with padded rails or ground blinds with built in shooting tables and sand bags where I can get a rock solid rest. Any shot a 150+ yards is one that should be made from a steady rest with plenty of time to squeeze off a near perfect shot. Of course anyone with the skills to make such shots regularly already knows that.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sighting in a .243?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!