How do we put pressure on NBC David Gregory for breaking the law?

PDA

wacki
December 26, 2012, 03:31 PM
Who do we call / write?

I believe it's important for these people to obey the laws they support. And they, and not just the little people, should be punished when they break their own laws. I believe it's the only way some of these people will realize how dumb their own laws are. So who do I write or call?

http://s2.postimage.org/lhmf3cvol/Magazine_Pic.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/lhmf3cvol/)

Full details:

DAVID GREGORY GUN-CRIME UPDATE; D.C. Police — NBC requested and was denied permission to use high capacity magazine in news segment. (http://legalinsurrection.com/2012/12/d-c-police-nbc-requested-and-was-denied-permission-to-use-high-capacity-magazine-in-news-segment/) Laws are for the little people. From the comments: “To paraphrase Joyce Carol Oates: If sizable numbers of journalists become gun law victims themselves, maybe there’s hope for some balanced coverage on the issue.”
Posted at 12:43 pm by Glenn Reynolds (http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/160368/)

Related:

PROF. JACOBSON: The importance of prosecuting David Gregory if he violated D.C.’s gun law. (http://legalinsurrection.com/2012/12/the-importance-of-prosecuting-david-gregory-if-he-violated-d-c-s-gun-law/)

Certainly, if LaPierre had shown up with that magazine, there would be howls of gotcha, and widespread media demands for prosecution. Why should NBC News and its star be above the law?

There’s another lesson here.

Gregory’s possible violation of the law was exposed by the conservative blogosphere, which also pointed out that Gregory sends his kids to a school with armed security at the same time he was mocking the NRA suggestion of armed security in schools.

We have to do more of this, investigating the investigators and inquiring of the inquisitors. It’s one of the legal insurrections for 2013.

Make them live up to their own book of rules.
Posted at 8:47 am by Glenn Reynolds (http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/160306/)

If you enjoyed reading about "How do we put pressure on NBC David Gregory for breaking the law?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
heron
December 26, 2012, 03:35 PM
Make them live up to their own book of rules.Good luck with that.

wacki
December 26, 2012, 03:42 PM
A futile effort probably.

But I'm willing to waste a 30 second call / email to a politician or police chief on this.

xfyrfiter
December 26, 2012, 03:51 PM
I was watching FNC this AM, and the scrolling at the bottom of the screen said that the DA was looking into it. Said that he may have violated the law. Celeb though, so nothing will come of it I would bet.

bds
December 26, 2012, 03:56 PM
Well, looks like ABC is on it - http://news.yahoo.com/dc-cops-investigating-whether-nbcs-gregory-violated-gun-170426968--abc-news-politics.html

Washington police are investigating whether NBC's David Gregory broke the law by holding up what appeared to be a 30-round gun magazine on Sunday's Meet the Press despite being denied permission by police to bring the weaponry on the show.

It is illegal in the district to possess a "large capacity ammunition feeding device."

Gwendolyn Crump, director of the Office of Communications for the Washington Metropolitan Police Department, told ABC News, "NBC contacted MPD inquiring if they could utilize a high capacity magazine for their segment. NBC was informed that possession of a high capacity magazine is not permissible and their request was denied. This matter is currently being investigated."

Another Washington DC police officer and spokesperson Tisha Gant said the situation was "being investigated," but would give no other details including what exactly is under investigation.

A section in the D.C. criminal code says "no person in the District shall possess, sell, or transfer any large capacity ammunition feeding device regardless of whether the device is attached to a firearm." The section stipulates that "the term large capacity ammunition feeding device means a magazine," or similar devices.

Gregory held up what looked like a 30-bullet gun magazine when interviewing the National Rifle Association's executive vice president and CEO Wayne LaPierre on Sunday ...

Since the interview, conservative media and gun rights activists said that Gregory appeared to have violated the district's gun law. Police subsquently confirmed they were investigating.

NBC News declined to comment through a spokesperson.

Steve CT
December 26, 2012, 04:05 PM
I sent an email to NBC News asking them what action they expected to take.

Any odds on whether I get a response?

Canuck-IL
December 26, 2012, 04:07 PM
I think all 3 of his regular viewers should boycott!

/B

bds
December 26, 2012, 04:10 PM
Associated Press doing the same - http://news.yahoo.com/police-investigating-incident-television-host-displayed-ammunition-magazine-163716314.html

happygeek
December 26, 2012, 04:17 PM
This reporter inadvertently illustrated two of the main problems with laws like the one he's advocating for:
1) it obviously doesn't stop people, since he broke the law
2) enforcing it takes police resources away from going after real criminals, for example those committing all those homicides in the district

bds
December 26, 2012, 04:18 PM
Eric Tucker from the Associated Press (posted 38 minutes ago) - http://news.yahoo.com/dc-police-investigating-meet-press-incident-160832694.html

It was not clear how or where Gregory obtained the magazine, and an NBC News spokeswoman declined to comment Wednesday.

76shuvlinoff
December 26, 2012, 04:42 PM
I wish to hell LaPierre would have caught that right on the air and called him on it.

roadchoad
December 26, 2012, 04:48 PM
^ My thoughts exactly.

bds
December 26, 2012, 04:49 PM
More details - http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/police-nbc-asked-for-high-capacity-clip/2012/12/26/4c8f77da-4f76-11e2-8b49-64675006147f_story.html

NBC News asked D.C. police for permission to use a high-capacity ammunition clip as a prop on Sunday’s “Meet the Press” show, a request District authorities said Wednesday they denied.

But host David Gregory appears to have used one anyway — and then displayed it on national television. Now D.C. police say they’re investigating whether the District’s gun laws were violated in the incident ...

It was unclear from the segment how the apparent clip used was obtained or who obtained it ...

A police official said the case has been assigned to detectives in the gun unit. Investigators will first determine whether the segment was taped in the District and then whether the clip Gregory held up on air was real and contained bullets ...

Matt Jones, a spokesman for the U.S.attorney’s office in Washington, referred questions on the matter to the D.C. Attorney General’s office, where a spokesman declined comment.

David Benowitz, a District defense attorney who handles gun cases in D.C., Maryland and Virginia, said the ammunition charge Gregory could face is a rarely prosecuted misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in prison and a $1,000 fine. The attorney said Gregory would be permitted a jury trial.

Benowitz said the possessing the clip, even if it didn’t have any bullets in it, could violate D.C. law. But as a defense lawyer, Benowitz said he would question whether Gregory actually “possessed it” or was merely using it in the show.

The other question, the attorney said, would be how NBC obtained the magazine, whether it actually had the capacity to hold 30 bullets and whether the host knew that D.C. police had rejected a request from the show to obtain one from the department’s evidence room.

“I presume David Gregory didn’t go out on the street and get a 30-round clip himself,” said Benowitz, a partner in the law firm of Price, Benowitz LLP. He said that if an NBC staffer brought in a clip — from Virginia, for example — that would also be illegal.

Johannes_Paulsen
December 26, 2012, 04:54 PM
Why would we put pressure on NBC?

We need to put pressure on the Washington, DC government to repeal unjust laws such as this. Gregory should be the freakin' poster child. (I'm sure he'll love that!)

JustinJ
December 26, 2012, 04:55 PM
Is it possible the magazine was altered to not function or limit capacity to ten and if so would it then be legal to posses in DC? Or is there a grandfather clause under which the magazine may be legal? It seems unlikely the show would travel to another state to get a magazine just for the segment but who knows.

sidheshooter
December 26, 2012, 04:59 PM
Sounds like a job for BATFE. But, like others, I am not going to be holding my breath.

Until then, we should all be holding this up as an example of the fact that deranged people beholden only to their own selfish moral code will always be able to find a way around any ban. Only the law abiding will follow such rules; law-breakers clearly and willfully ignore them.

xXxplosive
December 26, 2012, 05:00 PM
Prosecute Him..................

Certaindeaf
December 26, 2012, 05:06 PM
He certainly wouldn't have something so precious as a breath hole.
There's an actual law against that I think.

Zoogster
December 26, 2012, 05:07 PM
It certainly would be interesting if they asked for permission to use the magazine, were denied, then proceeded to use one on the air anyways.

So passionate about passing gun restrictions that they will break existing laws to pass new ones?

Antigunners breaking gun laws seems to have a different criteria of severity to meet before they go after them, as long as it was being done to promote more gun restrictions.

Now if it was you driving through and you got pulled over and they found that in your car?

I am not in favor of the penalties being applied to anyone. However it is hard to maintain that for someone wanting even more who violates them specifically to make the penalties and restrictions even greater. Perhaps he should be held to the law he doesn't even think is harsh enough yet.

bds
December 26, 2012, 05:08 PM
Some of the news articles mentioned that NBC initially asked the DC police to use a 30-round magazine from them, a request which DC police declined as possession of such a device is illegal in Washington DC (Meet the press is typically taped in DC).

The fact that NBC obtained what appeared to be a 30-round magazine after the DC police declined the request and still used it as a prop for the show demonstrated culpability by the show producers. Regardless who obtained the magazine, those involved broke the law willingly and knowingly.

Alaska444
December 26, 2012, 05:10 PM
Looks like someone is actually looking into this.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/12/26/dc-police-investigating-nbc-gregory-over-purported-high-capacity-magazine-on/?test=latestnews

Certaindeaf
December 26, 2012, 05:11 PM
Think of the onions! yep there ya go

bds
December 26, 2012, 05:13 PM
Now the cat's out of the bag, let's see how the MSM handles this one!

CraigC
December 26, 2012, 05:26 PM
The law shouldn't exist in the first place but he should prosecuted and made an example of.

theautobahn
December 26, 2012, 05:27 PM
We need to put pressure on the Washington, DC government to repeal unjust laws such as this. Gregory should be the freakin' poster child. (I'm sure he'll love that!)

^This^

Can you imagine the sheer awesomeness? If the pro's said "don't prosecute him, he didn't really do anything wrong because there's really nothing wrong with owning / possessing a NORMAL capacity magazine... What's he going to say? "No, it was horrible and illegal and I was a danger to society and should be locked up"?

76shuvlinoff
December 26, 2012, 05:32 PM
It would be great to have the NRA come to his defense or at least publicly offer to do so.

coolluke01
December 26, 2012, 05:38 PM
His defense would be "Just because I have a 30 round mag, doesn't mean I'm going to kill a bunch of people" Well, Duh!! We've been telling you this for 30 years!

Owning hi cap mags doesn't make you a killer.

fxstchewy
December 26, 2012, 05:55 PM
^This^
Me Too......

jbrown50
December 26, 2012, 08:08 PM
What on earth was Gregory thinking, taking that tool of death into the studio? It could have killed someone.:rolleyes:

Collector0311
December 26, 2012, 08:23 PM
Are some of you serious?! You want someone prosecuted for the breaking of the same law so many of us are fighting AGAINST? How does that make us any better?
We should be standing behind the man. I understand the immediate response for "blood" but come on....what if this had been me? Or one of you? You may not agree with the man on everything (I don't) and yes, he broke the law. But why does who he is make our cause any different? Defend the man. We may win over an anchor yet. And if not, what have we lost? Nothing.

bri
December 26, 2012, 08:29 PM
Why would we put pressure on NBC?

Bingo.

guyfromohio
December 26, 2012, 08:29 PM
Collector.... It brings to light how ludicrous the law is. If an anti- gun, mainstream media figure has to fight his way our of it, perhaps the outcry will be for how ridiculous such laws are.

mmitch
December 26, 2012, 08:33 PM
If you wish to punish Gregory's ignorant arrogance, convince as many people as possible to send letters of "outrage" to the sponsors of his Sunday show.
Your threat to withhold dollars from those folks (they pay the bills) will show results. Getting "all-froggy" with any other entity will result in zero effect.

Mike

gbran
December 26, 2012, 08:34 PM
This is a stupid law, but until and if it's, I'd hope Gregory gets the same slack you or I would.

M-Cameron
December 26, 2012, 08:34 PM
Collector.... It brings to light how ludicrous the law is. If an anti- gun, mainstream media figure has to fight his way our of it, perhaps the outcry will be for how ridiculous such laws are.

hrmm.....now we just need to figure out a way for piers morgan to get his hands on a stamp-less SBR.....

LeonCarr
December 26, 2012, 08:49 PM
Why hasn't he been arrested or fined yet?

He was in possession of an 30 round magazine in a city where they are illegal, on national television.

Why the double standard?

If it were you or I, we would have been thrown in the klink immediately.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

wow6599
December 26, 2012, 09:07 PM
I wish Wayne would have said "I need to leave now David, you're breaking the law", and walked off set.

Cesiumsponge
December 26, 2012, 09:10 PM
TMZ is reporting that the DC police turned them down, so they went to the ATF for permission. I'm not sure how ATF has any jurisdiction over state or local laws. It claims the ATF called DC police and DC police said okay, so DC police made two different claims. Keep in mind this is TMZ, but they've consistently become one of the news sources that breaks stories before even the traditional mainstream media over the last few years.

With the commonly used excuse of "the law is the law" to enact zero-tolerance policies, it's fairly obvious that exceptions only apply if you're famous or in the media.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/12/26/meet-the-press-david-gregory-dc-police-atf-gun-magazine/

bds
December 26, 2012, 09:12 PM
It's one thing to "accidentally" break the law - NBC willfully and knowingly violated the law AFTER being told by DC police not to do so.

FIVETWOSEVEN
December 26, 2012, 09:14 PM
Are some of you serious?! You want someone prosecuted for the breaking of the same law so many of us are fighting AGAINST? How does that make us any better?

Because he supports the law and thinks it's good. He's being hypocritical and should be punished. He shouldn't be above the "little people". What about those that ban conceal carry and still carry a gun?

M-Cameron
December 26, 2012, 09:18 PM
With the commonly used excuse of "the law is the law" to enact zero-tolerance policies, it's fairly obvious that exceptions only apply if you're famous or in the media.

that and you have to be anti-gun...

ide be willing to bet that if Wayne LaPierre was the one with the mag, he would have been arrested before he walked off set.

Captain33036
December 26, 2012, 09:19 PM
I wish Wayne would have said "I need to leave now David, you're breaking the law", and walked off set.

Wow6599..... Exactly. How terrific that would have been.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

Cesiumsponge
December 26, 2012, 09:29 PM
Nothing will happen. Didn't you see? The ATF "gave him permission". That's good enough for most people. I mean...I'm sure if we called the ATF and got a verbal okay on the phone because we got a nay from local and state police, they'd stand behind usif we were put to the fire.

Right?

Right, guys?

Justin
December 26, 2012, 09:43 PM
Is it possible the magazine was altered to not function or limit capacity to ten and if so would it then be legal to posses in DC? Or is there a grandfather clause under which the magazine may be legal? It seems unlikely the show would travel to another state to get a magazine just for the segment but who knows.

If it was indeed a neutered magazine, then David Gregory is guilty of lying to and misleading his audience. Not as bad as committing a felony on live television, but when your career depends on your reputation as a truth-teller, still pretty bad.

Either way, maybe you should ask David yourself. He's on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/davidgregory

Dave Workman
December 26, 2012, 09:47 PM
I wrote about this in my Seattle GunRights Examiner column Wednesday afternoon.

Simply foolish and arrogant. I doubt that the D.C. police will go after him.

jmace57
December 26, 2012, 09:53 PM
This was reported on CNN a few minutes ago. Nothing new other than "The DC police are investigating".

splithoof
December 26, 2012, 10:16 PM
Every single individual who came in physical contact with what appears to be contraband must (and should be) prosecuted to the full extent of the law, with all disabilities, penalties, and costs fully realized.

-v-
December 26, 2012, 10:38 PM
While I can understand the calls for leniency and that the NRA should step up to help him, I still say throw the book at him. He screwed up and broke the law, and the law is the law. You mess up, you pay the price.

Plus, I think its another win for our side by showing on the national stage how dumb magazine bans are.

M-Cameron
December 26, 2012, 10:46 PM
While I can understand the calls for leniency and that the NRA should step up to help him, I still say throw the book at him. He screwed up and broke the law, and the law is the law. You mess up, you pay the price.

Plus, I think its another win for our side by showing on the national stage how dumb magazine bans are.

thats exactly why the NRA should not help him....

it would be all to easy for the anti-gunners to throw Gregory under the bus and claim the NRA is aiding criminals...

also, by investigating Gregory on this issue, who did nothing wrong other than possess a magazine, it helps in forcing the anti-gunners to agree that these laws are just as ridiculous as we have been telling them they are.

OcelotZ3
December 26, 2012, 11:07 PM
I'm surprised that he didn't just use an airsoft AR mag, which looks very similar, especially if he held the feeding end in his palm...

bds
December 27, 2012, 09:47 PM
Update - http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/national/david-gregory-holds-gun-on-air-atf-nbc-evidently-got-conflicting-guidance

NBC evidently got conflicting guidance from federal and local law enforcement officials about the legality of displaying an empty gun magazine on "Meet the Press," according to statements by the agencies involved.

An official with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives told CNN that he relayed information to NBC from the Washington Metropolitan Police Department that displaying an empty gun magazine was legal. Meanwhile, an MPD spokeswoman said her department told NBC such a display would be illegal ...

The ATF official told CNN on Thursday that a reporter with NBC News -- not Gregory -- called ATF last Friday to inquire whether it would be legal to have ammunition or an empty magazine on the set of the Sunday show, which is broadcast from Washington.

The ATF official said he reached out to officers with the MPD to ask if that was permissible.

"What was relayed back to me -- which turned out to be a miscommunication -- is ammunition was not legal unless (in the possession of an officer), but a magazine was not a problem," said the official, who passed along the information to NBC.

The detail about empty magazines being legal in Washington was apparently inaccurate. Possessing a large-capacity ammunition device, such as a magazine, is illegal in the District of Columbia if the device holds more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

The code also specifies the large-capacity devices are illegal, regardless of whether they're attached to a firearm. Gregory showed the magazine Sunday without a firearm attached.

"I don't know where the miscommunication occurred (at the MPD), but I do know that I passed along the information that I was told," the ATF official said.

"We didn't give anyone permission, but we just relayed the information," the official continued ...

The department spokeswoman, Tisha Gant, said the police told NBC it could not use the magazine. Gant said the matter is under investigation.

NRA President David Keene said on CNN Thursday he didn't think Gregory should be prosecuted for possessing the magazine, calling the D.C. law "silly."

"There are two lessons for him there," Keene said. "Don't ask the government what's legal and what isn't legal, because half the people you ask don't know. And secondly, that's a silly felony. It's a felony in Washington, D.C., to own that magazine or to be caught with a cartridge. So I really think what David Gregory did, while he was inadvertently flaunting the law, was illustrated in a very graphic way, perhaps not intentionally, just how silly some of these laws are."

Dnaltrop
December 27, 2012, 10:04 PM
Absolutely, yes... he should be charged, but we should defend him as we would our most strident supporters.

The high ground has a wonderful view.

Hacker15E
December 27, 2012, 10:09 PM
I agree - the NRA should do everything to defend Gregory in this issue, while highlighting the exact issues Keene mentions.

splithoof
December 27, 2012, 10:15 PM
Look at it from what his own ilk would have for us: maximum punishment, all the way. If he can be sent to prison, wouldn't his absence result in a breach of contract with his employer on his part? That could hopefully lead to great personal financial hardship and the loss of any assets, both real and personal. Give him both barrels!

zxcvbob
December 27, 2012, 10:28 PM
1) IANAL

2) The maximum punishment anyone would likely face is a $1000 fine and forfeit the magazine. It's not a felony anyway, even with the maximum possible jail-time it's a misdemeanor.

3) It doesn't matter if the magazine was blocked to only hold 10 rounds, or had a missing spring or whatever to render it unusable -- if it could be converted back to hold 11 or more cartridges it is illegal.

4) The Justice Department will cover for him, so nothing is likely to happen even though the police denied the request to show a mag on-air and he did it anyway. (this is the part that pisses me off. He should have to sweat like you or I would, and cough up a juicy fine)

5) NRA should definitely use him as a poster child.

StockKahr
January 10, 2013, 05:11 PM
Update:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/01/10/nbc-gun-magazine-decision-expected-by-weeks-end/

joeschmoe
January 10, 2013, 05:25 PM
Anyone who lives in/near DC should write to the AG office asking for permission to do the same thing. In the letter state that you will assume permission if no response since Gregory was allowed to do it on national TV and not prosecuted. If not, then why was Gregory allowed but not you?

This should put pressure on the AG to prosecute or create a precident.

Skribs
January 10, 2013, 05:39 PM
I think such a law is stupid. However, I think that anyone who believes such a law is necessary and supports such a law should be tried to the fullest extent of said law. The reason is that this man will have to choose between A) cooperating with the laws he supports, B) realizing that such law is stupid and change his position, or C) be publicly outed as a hypocrite.

It's sort of like the story about King David, when he gets told about what "a man" did and says that man should be put to death based on those actions, only to be told that "that man" is him. After realizing the situation, he received mercy. I think the same could apply here. If Gregory goes with option A, he chooses to follow the law. If he chooses option B, we should suggest mercy. If he chooses option C, hopefully they still try him and convict him...and if not at least he loses subscribers because he is above the laws he tries to promote.

If you enjoyed reading about "How do we put pressure on NBC David Gregory for breaking the law?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!