5.56 and .223 supplies are nonexistent

PDA

nathan
December 26, 2012, 05:22 PM
Having an AR rifle and no ammo is moot.This will just intensify as Biden and his committee ramp up the gun ban scare by January.

If you enjoyed reading about "5.56 and .223 supplies are nonexistent" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Double Naught Spy
December 26, 2012, 05:25 PM
It is only a problem for those who did not prepare properly. As with last time and the time before, this will all come to pass.

nathan
December 26, 2012, 05:33 PM
THe bad thing for most new AR owners, the 5.56 bulk ammo supply are nonexistent, low in supply and even cost more bec of all the demand . Well, if you are an AR shooter, expect to pay more and much more. Expect 1000 rd bulk to hover in the $600 plus .

Walkalong
December 26, 2012, 06:50 PM
I'll quit shooting .223 before I pay that kind of price. I'll stick with .22 LR if I have to, but I won't pay any exorbitant prices while this lasts.

Fortunately, most calibers have not seen any real run, so there are options for shooters while this plays out.

zxcvbob
December 26, 2012, 07:01 PM
It is only a problem for those who did not prepare properly. As with last time and the time before, this will all come to pass. Funny how no legal eagles at the NRA spotted that facet anytime between 1993 and now.

That's not really fair to someone who bought a AR-15 just a couple of weeks ago, right before the insanity started. Not everybody started in the 1990's. But if you've had it for a while, even a little while, yeah you should have stocked up.

I bought a Mini-14 last spring. I have enough ammo and reloading components for it to last me a few years, but I wish I had more -- and a few more magazines.

bubba in ca
December 26, 2012, 07:11 PM
First, read up on the Dutch tulip boom--I think it was a couple hundred years ago so there should be much on the net.
Second, there is not necessarily going to be a ban. Obama scores points with his base just by crying and trying.
Third, if there is a ban, it may not include every gun. Past practice is pistol grips, bayonet lugs, 30 round mags, etc.
fourth, past practice may be irrelevant--they may go for everything and they may win!
Fifth, life is not fair. Buy a shotgun until this blows over or we lose it all

nathan
December 26, 2012, 07:55 PM
Owning an AR and buying the ammo are getting more expensive as its ever been--- fueled by the recent shootings and looming gun ban. i myself would just have to settle with my AK s and SKSs bec i got all the ammo i need for years .

I also probably would have to consider getting a .17 HMR rifle and a good scope . And get more .22 LRs to fuel my other rimfires once they get back to normal supply.

Reefinmike
December 26, 2012, 10:07 PM
At first I was a little put off by the fact that a box of 223 reloads is costing me $3.50 plus my time when you can get russian steel for $5 a box, but NOW I see the benefits. I'll take my $175/case handloads any day over searching high and low to buy a $18 box of ammo.

Warp
December 26, 2012, 10:19 PM
Years ago I swore up and down that I would get an "assault rifle" before the 2008 elections. But I couldn't afford it, and I was convinced there would be no legislation, so I didn't.

I finally afforded an AR type rifle (what I wanted all those years) this summer (July). Between the rifle itself, accessories (optic, sling, light), magazines, ammo, and some spare parts, expenses got seemingly-astronomical in a hurry.

Forgive me for not being able to afford thousands upon thousands of rounds of ammo between July and now, such that this availability wouldn't/won't affect me.

It doesn't help my stocks that I have already fired 1,750 rounds through it.

I would like to see people stop lashing out in anger at those who would like to buy ammunition right now.

WinThePennant
December 26, 2012, 10:27 PM
This will sort itself out.

Keep an ear to the ground. Local contacts at your LGS is key. I've got a line on some AR lowers that are damn near impossible to find any where, but I think I'll probably score a couple next week.

herkyguy
December 26, 2012, 10:31 PM
my AR sits in the safe, happy as can be. i have a few hundred rounds of .223, enough to get me by target shooting for the next several months. i only shoot a magazine or two every couple of months. if anything, i just need to pony up and buy a reloading kit.

TimboKhan
December 26, 2012, 10:50 PM
I ordered some .223 off of Cabelas, and while the price was fine, the wait to get it blows. I ordered on 12-24 and the estimated date of delivery is 3/15!

But, the price was right because it was on sale, and I have enough to repel boarders for a little while. I will do what I did last time, which is not shoot my AR all that often, and I will buy a box or two of everything else I need as the opportunity arises.

Like Walkalong, I am perfectly happy shooting .22 if thats all I can afford to shoot, and I have a lot of .22lr at the house. I am sort of wishing I would have stocked up more on .17HMR, but I suspect that isn't a caliber that will be looked at as a ZOMG!!! caliber, so I should be allright.

With all that being said, I do find myself wishing I would have done a better job stocking up a couple of years ago when reality hit again, but oh well. It's not like I am without any ammo, and I have a ton of rounds for my Mosin if it comes to that.

dragon813gt
December 26, 2012, 10:57 PM
I don't own an AR but I have plenty of brass and components to reload for it. AR shooters seem to never pick up their brass. I also have a mold for casting bullets and I own a few mags already. I was looking ahead to potentially purchase one so I started buying small things in advance. Now it seems like I won't ever purchase one. Which doesn't bother me one bit.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

Sky
December 26, 2012, 10:58 PM
I am moving overseas as soon as my house stateside is sold. One of the LGS guys I know wants to buy all my ARs and another LGS wants me to bring some by so he can pick and choose. One of the women who shoots in some of the pistol matches is wanting everything I have for Gun Broker; she is the local Guru on getting stuff sold with pics and answering questions etc etc. She charges $50 for her service. The ammo I have has been begged for and money offered if and when I sell....I still have not sold anything, but I should. I have a great safe and friends have offered to take everything an store the whole "THANG" for me but....I will only be coming back for the occasional brief visits so that really will not work for the guns or me.

It is like selling one of your beloved pets...not easy to do and I don't even consider myself a gun nut; go figure.

browningguy
December 27, 2012, 12:19 AM
My supply is still safe.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/jcm9371/223Supplyjpg.jpg

MachIVshooter
December 27, 2012, 01:14 AM
That's not really fair to someone who bought a AR-15 just a couple of weeks ago, right before the insanity started. Not everybody started in the 1990's.

I feel for the folks who had been saving up and are now in this position (or who just came of age), but shooting centerfire has never been a poor man's game. That said, if your priorities were in it, long periods of time or large incomes were not requisite to be prepared for what has been writing on the wall the last few years. I turned 18 in 2000, bought my first AR in 2004. I never stopped stocking magazines and ammo, just did it a little at a time. I have also never made large amounts of money: My average gross income over the last decade has only been about $55k, which ain't that high in CO. But firearms were always a priority in my life, as opposed to expesnsive weekend entertainment, nice new cars or fancy electronics. I seldom go out to eat or to movies and other spendy social activities, I drive 20+ year old cars, and still have my 25" Magnavox television, ca. 2001. As such, I currently am just sitting back and watching the frenzy with my 4.5 ARs and thousands of rounds of 5.56x45 and 7.62x51 sitting safely in the other room, while a complete lower I don't need sits on consignment in the event that someone else wants it more than I do in this insane market.

This has been coming, guys. It wasn't an "if", but a "when". History repeats itself.

Reloadron
December 27, 2012, 09:12 AM
The only reason .223 or 5.56 NATO is scarce is because at the onset of this latest scare people bought all they could and in short order. It's not like the world stopped manufacturing the stuff. Eventually it will return to the shelves and I doubt at any higher prices than before.

If any legislation comes of this it will likely target the guns and magazines. Possibly a few bullet types in the ammunition but that would be about it. Running in a panic mode people bought all they could depleting the current supplies. Not like many of us have not seen this before. I figure eventually the shelves will be restocked. Just as in the past, it will take time. So where you can back order I would do just that and wait. Patience as good things come to those who wait.

Just My Take
Ron

W.E.G.
December 27, 2012, 09:15 AM
I keep telling you.

You need to have THREE YEARS worth of shooting supplies if you do not want to be immediately affected by events like this. They keep happening, and people keep not paying attention.

If you are just 19 years old, I understand that getting supplies of that magnitude may be unrealistic at several levels.

If you are 29, and you are voicing this sort of complaint, shame on you.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/reloading/PRVI-75-grainbullets-5000count.jpg

Reloadron
December 27, 2012, 09:27 AM
If you are just 19 years old, I understand that getting supplies of that magnitude may be unrealistic at several levels.

Agree, and if you were 29 about 30 plus years ago a real big shame on you! :)

Ron

Hacker15E
December 27, 2012, 10:00 AM
I was able to find .223 at both a LGS and WalMart in my local area (Oklahoma).

Not very much of it, but it was on the shelves yesterday.

nathan
December 27, 2012, 10:13 AM
If you want AR, then pay AR prices. ARs always been expensive and it will continue to become expensive to shoot. Evey one wants to have one. The more demand the more they reap you off. Thats the American way.

taliv
December 27, 2012, 11:00 AM
i wouldn't worry as much about ammo. there's a lot of production capacity for it

Art Eatman
December 27, 2012, 11:25 AM
This furor reminds me of the time that Johnny Carson, on his late-night TV show, made the idle comment that he had heard that there was a shortage of toilet paper in grocery stores around the country.

Within three days, there was. Nationwide.

Folks in the gun world are already talking about being low on money. That means a slowdown in buying, which means that the manufacturers will catch up to the ongoing normal demand.

788Ham
December 27, 2012, 11:38 AM
Over the past 2 years, I've bought .223 bullets from a couple of different places, no big lots, 300 to 500 at a time. When I told my buddy, he just laughed, "What the hell you gonna do with all of those?" Last week he called me, "Hey Ham, you still got all of those bullets, can I buy 500 off you?" Seems as though demand was/is higher than he expected too. We're going to go to a place today and see if they have some powder and primers, might see if they have any bullets too...... he might wise up today!!??

M1key
December 27, 2012, 11:46 AM
My concern is that at some point new gun control legislation might ban importation of "assault rifle" calibers...223, 7.62x39, 5.45, and 308, etc.

M

heeler
December 27, 2012, 11:52 AM
No...Being that 223,308,and to some degree 7.62x39 are used as hunting cartridges I dont think so.

JustinJ
December 27, 2012, 11:55 AM
I don't believe an ammo ban is a reaslistic concern. It sucks that you can't shoot now but just be glad you have the most important item, the gun itself.

Reloadron
December 27, 2012, 12:52 PM
If you want AR, then pay AR prices. ARs always been expensive and it will continue to become expensive to shoot. Evey one wants to have one. The more demand the more they reap you off. Thats the American way.
Guess it all depends on how we define expensive. Shooting overall is not an inexpensive hobby or pastime. The cost is less than some hobbies and exceeds others. As to ammo, other than idiots on ArmsList asking a buck a round the price with regular retailers has pretty much gone unchanged. Granted if you don't have any you will have to wait to get it but the retail cost has not gone up much to speak of.

Also, compared to many high end rifles the cost of an AR type rifle was considerably less, unless of course you want to compare an AR type rifle to a Mosin Nagant.

Ron

daybreak
December 27, 2012, 01:08 PM
That's not really fair to someone who bought a AR-15 just a couple of weeks ago, right before the insanity started. Not everybody started in the 1990's. But if you've had it for a while, even a little while, yeah you should have stocked up.

I bought a Mini-14 last spring. I have enough ammo and reloading components for it to last me a few years, but I wish I had more -- and a few more magazines.

Fair? hahahahahahahaha ha. Ha. So what would be fair?

This is America, buddy. You snooze you lose.

Warp
December 27, 2012, 01:22 PM
I keep telling you.

You need to have THREE YEARS worth of shooting supplies if you do not want to be immediately affected by events like this. They keep happening, and people keep not paying attention.

[IMG]http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/reloading/PRVI-75-grainbullets-5000count.jpg[IMG]

Not all of us can afford 3 years worth of shooting supplies.

I apologize for not having enough money to spend $8,000+ on firearms stuff this year

(That is the minimum I would have had to spend this year in order to have 3 years worth of shooting supplies)

Warp
December 27, 2012, 01:24 PM
As to ammo, other than idiots on ArmsList asking a buck a round the price with regular retailers has pretty much gone unchanged.

No, they haven't gone unchanged.

They are out of stock on everything.

Now, if you have a link to a reputable retailer selling M193 for $340 shipped (case of 1,000 rounds), that is in stock, your statement might be correct. Otherwise...no

murphys_law
December 27, 2012, 01:36 PM
Unchanged here, also some in stock at a few places....

Warp
December 27, 2012, 01:37 PM
Unchanged here, also some in stock at a few places....

Can you point me to unchanged prices on 5.56?

zxcvbob
December 27, 2012, 01:41 PM
Fair? hahahahahahahaha ha. Ha. So what would be fair?
This is America, buddy. You snooze you lose.

Life isn't fair and never has been. But that is no excuse for mocking the guy who got screwed. That's what I was getting at.

zxcvbob
December 27, 2012, 01:42 PM
double tap

blarby
December 27, 2012, 01:43 PM
Well, I must say that .223 is a new beast for me.

Wasn't gonna do it, till I woke up not too long ago and realized I was quite possibly staring down the last chance to get one.

So, I got one.

Immediately after that, I began assembling components........ Braa- bout 600 pieces, give or take, 5k primers, powder........ yepp, now comes the hard part. I bought the last two boxes of 55 gr FMJ anywhere around for $13 on monday. Some of the bizarre types, odd weights, and BTHP's are still available starting at $16+ a box, but I think I'll hold on those.

Thats the report from JC, anyway !

Can you point me to unchanged prices on 5.56?

My closest bi-mart still has PMC bronze for $7.50/ box- same as before the drama. Oh- and a 5 box buy limit, with clerks who know who you are :D

Warp
December 27, 2012, 01:47 PM
My closest bi-mart still has PMC bronze for $7.50/ box- same as before the drama. Oh- and a 5 box buy limit, with clerks who know who you are :D

$375 + tax for a case of PMC bronze .223 is pretty expensive. Before the drama (actually, right after the election, even) you could order a case of that for $336 shipped.

That bi-mart deal isn't bad for today, since it is in stock...but a 100 round limit...kinda takes it off the table

Reloadron
December 27, 2012, 02:08 PM
No, they haven't gone unchanged.

They are out of stock on everything.

Now, if you have a link to a reputable retailer selling M193 for $340 shipped (case of 1,000 rounds), that is in stock, your statement might be correct. Otherwise...no
Warp, what I said was that the prices have gone pretty much unchanged. Somewhere earlier I also mentioned that many retailers were taking orders but you would have to wait. I also stated in either this or a similar thread that depending on what pending legislation does if passed it would not surprise me to see certain bullets eliminated.

The reason the shelves are bare was panic buying. Eventually the supply chain will replenish. As this happens many will continue to buy as quick as it is stocked. Back Ordered will be the new normal. To some extent the fear began when Obama was reelected. The tragedy in CT merely iced it.

Cabela's on back order (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Ammunition/Bulk-Ammunition|/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/106633080/Remington174-UMC174-223-Bulk-Rifle-Ammunition-with-Dry-Storage-Box/731963.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fshooting-ammunition-bulk-ammunition%2F_%2FN-1104709%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_106633080%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104792580%253Bcat104691780&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104792580%3Bcat104691780%3Bcat106633080#productChart)is selling 55 grain Remington for 299 for 800 rounds bulk or about .38 a round. About the same as it was a month ago.

Ron

Warp
December 27, 2012, 04:35 PM
If it's out of stock, it's out of stock. If you can't get it, it isn't really available.

How long will that backorder take?

BTW: $0.38 per round for .223 is expensive. After the election (yes, after) I got brass case .223 for $0.33 per round...shipped! ;)

rookorami
December 27, 2012, 04:50 PM
I see how some may be worried a little about .223 going away as well as 7.62x39. I don't see why they feel 308 is suddenly going to be gone. It just seem really unlikely as many hunting rifles are chambered in .223, .308, (not sure on the 7.62, but wouldn't surprise me).

Warp
December 27, 2012, 04:54 PM
I don't think the cartridges are going anywhere, and I don't think people think that either.

But they might get more expensive, or be harder to find as a result of increased demand

Think about how much .308 hunting rounds bought by the 20 round box cost compared to foreign surplus 7.62x51

black_powder_Rob
December 27, 2012, 04:56 PM
Well the ammo is hard to find right now, but as others have said it will be back again. The manufactures will ramp up production to meet current demand.
As for stocking up, well I only have one .223 and it is a single shot break action that I use for hunting so my need for rounds is not as great as others. Currently I have about 4 rounds of brass soft points and about 70 rounds steel fmj. They should hold me till the ammo manus catch up. With all that said though if i spot a box of ammo that are SP's and 55-62gr I will definatley be picking them up.

Reloadron
December 27, 2012, 05:43 PM
If it's out of stock, it's out of stock. If you can't get it, it isn't really available.

How long will that backorder take?

BTW: $0.38 per round for .223 is expensive. After the election (yes, after) I got brass case .223 for $0.33 per round...shipped! ;)
My last good deal on .223 was Federal from Gander Mountain on Thanksgiving Day. Normally about .39 a round then occasionally on sale about .35 a round and on Thanksgiving Day it was $299 for a case of 1,000 rounds including the can. Looking back I should have gotten two or more.

As to availability? I don't much care as I can load a few thousand if I need them. Hell, during the winter I don't shoot much outside, mostly indoor range and shooting .223 at 25 yards is not very enjoyable or entertaining. Anyhow, I never said the stuff was available and for those of us well stocked or who can load it's no big deal. Order it now and I don't care if it comes in April as it will arrive with better outdoor shooting weather. :)

Ron

KevininPa
December 27, 2012, 07:13 PM
Those of us with pumps and bolts don't usually keep large quantities on hand. At least I don't (though I do have something else that I'm "bulked" for!;)). I'm thinking about seeing my 'smith about sleeving my Rem 7615 down to .222.

trickyasafox
December 27, 2012, 07:21 PM
I wish I had bought more primers. Plenty of rifle primers, but I need small pistol and they are AWOL by me. Thought I had another sleeve put away, but I was mistaken.

Cee Zee
December 27, 2012, 10:38 PM
It is only a problem for those who did not prepare properly. As with last time and the time before, this will all come to pass.

Anyone old enough to buy a gun now should have been at least a little aware about what happened after the first Obonzo election. So yeah, they should have stocked up at least some. If you were thinking about buying a gun why on earth did you wait until after the election in the first place? It took 2 years to completely get over the problems after that election. Why would they not come back and get worse? Now Obonzo doesn't need to worry about reelection. Just like he told Putin - now he can do a lot more.

I stocked up before the first election on any ammo for weapons covered by the first AWB. Turned out I should have stocked up even more. I didn't make that mistake this time. I have a good supply for every firearm I own. It's all sitting on my boat just waiting for the need to come up - or for the boat to sink whichever comes first.

I also stockpiled brass even though I don't reload. Once fired brass will bring a good bit of money at some point. And who knows. I may decide to learn to roll my own.

I guess the young guys deserve a break when it comes to forward thinking. But let this be a lesson to them. Don't ever trust a lefty. Don't trust the media either although they are pretty much the same thing except that some of the so called right wing press has gone off the deep end on the left side of the pool. And look! Gee I guess it was the right thing to do. Funny how that works. It will get worse too.

Warp
December 27, 2012, 10:45 PM
Anyone old enough to buy a gun now should have been at least a little aware about what happened after the first Obonzo election.

I think an awful lot of 14 year olds don't pay a lot of attention to politics...or the stock of firearms in gun stores.

mastiffhound
December 27, 2012, 11:07 PM
Not totally true Warp. I was 14 when the first AWB took place. Dad saying "this is why I always told you to never vote for Dems" while standing in the lgs is still fresh in my mind. So are the crazy prices that AR's and AK's were going for. My dad has every firearm and all the ammo he will ever need. He picked them up the first month the ban was over, I learned a lot from him. I bought ahead just like he did

Warp
December 27, 2012, 11:43 PM
Not totally true Warp. I was 14 when the first AWB took place. Dad saying "this is why I always told you to never vote for Dems" while standing in the lgs is still fresh in my mind. So are the crazy prices that AR's and AK's were going for. My dad has every firearm and all the ammo he will ever need. He picked them up the first month the ban was over, I learned a lot from him. I bought ahead just like he did

That probably isn't typical.

Like I said..."many" 14 year olds would not have that experience.

But it sounds like you got started of on the right foot!

Thlax
December 28, 2012, 01:53 AM
First, read up on the Dutch tulip boom--I think it was a couple hundred years ago so there should be much on the net.
Second, there is not necessarily going to be a ban. Obama scores points with his base just by crying and trying.
Third, if there is a ban, it may not include every gun. Past practice is pistol grips, bayonet lugs, 30 round mags, etc.
fourth, past practice may be irrelevant--they may go for everything and they may win!
Fifth, life is not fair. Buy a shotgun until this blows over or we lose it all

Exactly. Read up. Tulip Mania.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

leadcounsel
December 28, 2012, 02:18 AM
A lot of naive optimism.

I've heard that years of stockpiles of mags and ammo have been wiped off shelves in a matter of days. Plenty of backorders, even at higher prices.

Higher prices and shortages are here to stay, for at least 6 months, and that's if NO new laws are passed.

A few new laws, Executive Orders, or more big shootings and panic will continue.

Those of you who didn't see this coming, or voted for Obama or other Libs, are all partly to blame. Waiting until the last minute to buy guns and ammo and accessories, causes this type of run. And voting for anti-gun reps, well, that's just shameful. Why would you ever vote for those that want to take your rights? And a big "I told you so" to all those that zealously said "he's not going to try to take your guns."

Warp
December 28, 2012, 02:32 AM
A lot of naive optimism.

I've heard that years of stockpiles of mags and ammo have been wiped off shelves in a matter of days. Plenty of backorders, even at higher prices.

Higher prices and shortages are here to stay, for at least 6 months, and that's if NO new laws are passed.

A few new laws, Executive Orders, or more big shootings and panic will continue.

Those of you who didn't see this coming, or voted for Obama or other Libs, are all partly to blame. Waiting until the last minute to buy guns and ammo and accessories, causes this type of run. And voting for anti-gun reps, well, that's just shameful. Why would you ever vote for those that want to take your rights? And a big "I told you so" to all those that zealously said "he's not going to try to take your guns."

Very, very few people voted for a POTUS that would not take away our rights.

Cee Zee
December 28, 2012, 03:59 AM
I think an awful lot of 14 year olds don't pay a lot of attention to politics...or the stock of firearms in gun stores.

As I said, the shortages lasted about 2 years. So they would have seen this stuff happening when they were 16. And you also missed (or ignored) the fact that I said the young deserved a break on this and the forward thinking it took to figure out where things were going. If you're going to quote me please include all the relevant information.

sansone
December 28, 2012, 07:23 AM
OP-
learn how to reload, when ammo becomes available again (it will) save your fired brass cases

Thlax
December 28, 2012, 07:57 AM
Adapt.

If you enjoyed reading about "5.56 and .223 supplies are nonexistent" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!