Blow gun power?

PDA

bjs1187
December 27, 2012, 09:41 AM
I received a blow gun for Christmas. Kind of cool, and I've wanted 1 since I was a kid. My brother in law and I where messing around with it, and we where sticking darts a half inch into concrete board. I was just a little surprised how powerful it was, and how accurate. Has anyone successfully hunted small game with one?

Thanks
Ben

If you enjoyed reading about "Blow gun power?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hso
December 27, 2012, 09:49 AM
I have to assume you mean anyone here as opposed to anyone/anywhere since they've been used to hunt small game forever in South America and at least the SE U.S.

Dr. Sandman
December 27, 2012, 10:22 AM
I got a cheap one a few years back from BudK or the like. I have yet to be able to hit the chipmonks that are eating my garden. Half the problem is not being ready to go when you see one, the other half is actually hitting the critters. I have had good success with my pellet gun, though.

Do you already have a wife/girlfriend/sigo? Have you already reproduced? If not, I would work on these areas first, before becoming the blowgun king of the tri state area. They are more important and always playing with your blowgun is going to make women think that you have some sort of billable diagnosis, even if you really don't.

Best of Luck!

Dr. Sandman
December 27, 2012, 10:29 AM
Also, it would be easier to hit a bigger target like a monkey or a sloth than a chipmonk, hare, or squirrel. It would also be easier to kill said prey if your darts were poisoned. I think the South American Indians used curare at one time, which I believe is Rx only here. It is probably illegal in your area to hunt with poison darts, check local regs. Thats how the indians killed stuff with a blowgun.

Again, focus on the girlfriend/ wife/ reproduction issues and get a pellet gun.

Still, nothing beat tossing a few throwing stars with ones brother.

Il Duca
December 27, 2012, 12:04 PM
I just received one of the "Big Bore" blowguns that cold Steel puts out. A local shop threw it in with a pistol I bought. Now, I don't know about the variances in blowgun quality or anything like that, but I have no problem hitting a 4" target at 20' or so (I'm an avid paintballer so lobbing projectiles with no sights is something I'm used to). A little practice and I may take it and try my hand at squirrels or rabbit. It came with bamboo skewer darts, "mini broadheads" that have a metal shaft which is flared and sharpened at the end and "broadheads" that have a plastic shaft with a blade on the end. Also stunners that have a plastic shaft and weighted blunt head.

rondog
December 27, 2012, 12:15 PM
Again, focus on the girlfriend/ wife/ reproduction issues and get a pellet gun.

JMHO, but I would NEVER advise anyone to marry and reproduce! That's an extremely personal arena that others should stay out of. Live your life the way YOU want to.

And with practice, you'll be able to hit those chipmunks in the ear.

glistam
December 27, 2012, 12:51 PM
I've been a blowgun fan for a while. Most people underestimate the power and think they need poison to work. Not so, you can do more than enough damage with clean ammo. I've killed rats, voles, squirrels, and small fish with wood and metal darts. I've used blunt-nosed "stunner" darts to scare off bigger varmints like deer, and also witnessed an adult human getting knocked out cold by taking a stunner to the temple (I really should tell that story some time).

I also made this little experiment: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=613073

rondog
December 27, 2012, 02:09 PM
Oh, you wanna sting something/someone and get their attention in a big way? A long piece of regular 1/2" EMT electrical conduit and some large red wirenuts that just fit inside can be great fun.

<Ahem, so I've heard......>

odorf
December 27, 2012, 02:32 PM
i have a blow gun from the philippines, a tribe of pygmes called negretos
sold it to me for 5 pesos, thats about 75 cents back then
its a 5' bamboo blow gun with 2 darts that are made out of golf tees and 6in evil looking needles. i used to put it THRU my bedroom door, until i got my a$$ busted by dad.

JShirley
December 27, 2012, 02:56 PM
Yup, some conduit, screws, and cone paper cups make an easy and inexpensive blowgun.

blarby
December 27, 2012, 03:17 PM
I hunted squirrel with a 6' as a kid.

Start flexing 'dem cheek muscles, buddy !

Even though the barbed darts look more, well, "killey"... the long needles will serve you a lot better.

Have fun !

JShirley
December 27, 2012, 03:24 PM
The screws hit with a lot of impact, too. You cut the end of the paper cone off to fit the conduit diameter, then make a single slit down at the tip of the cone. You then literally screw the screw into the tip. Takes a couple of tries to get right, but you can stick the darts into plywood with a 4' pipe from surprisingly far away.

WALKERs210
December 27, 2012, 09:45 PM
Been well over 60 yrs ago but we made them from curtain rods and other tubing, cut wire cloth hangers to about 8" in length added cotton on one end and about half way up. We could kill hughes lizards with one shot, a lot of times we actually stuck them to a trees.

USAF_Vet
December 27, 2012, 10:29 PM
I've had one for years. I messed up and got the .40 rather than the .65 or whatever they are. Fun to dink around with in the back yard, have not done any serious hunting with it yet. At the rate things are going, I'll probably have to register it with the fed.gov as an evil, high capacity assault blow gun and get my lungs microstamped.

kBob
December 28, 2012, 10:22 AM
Back in the last century a friend bought Mel Tappan's book after seeing Tappan's articles in a gun magazine. From this the friend got tht notion of adding a blow gun to his TEOTWAWKI arsenal. He then brought home a little teddy bear from work meqant for advertising and commenced to practice by placing the bear in various locations around his house. He got rather good with it. It was one of those 1980s ones that used a plastic cone with a thin stiff wire through itas a dart. It never got to be as accurate as his pellet rifle though. He played with bamboo skewers and rolled cotton as a dart and while they had less velocity and more drop they worked.

Later another friend had one like it and he and a friend had been using it in his friends barn to shoot cotton rats and such. They would sit int the dark barn after sun down and flip on the lights to catch the rodents at work. Of course the rodents only froze for a moment after the lights came on then scurried away. Wanting more shots at slower moving rodents these guys tried a head band mounted night vision device but found that pointing the tube with the focas point out where they could see the rodents was dificult. They jimmied up a mount for a laser pointer one used in his lectures on the tube and used it as a aiming device. Many cotton rats met their demise at this weapons sting I am told. I used it on a inanimate target and believed him.

Sort of a melding of primative and modern that was neat. Unfortunately every laser I tried to use with my cheap Russian first gen hand held NVD has been too bright at those close ranges for me to duplicate the techneque.

-kBob

Dr. Sandman
December 28, 2012, 10:36 AM
BALDERDASH!!!! A great word that should be used more often, and my opinion regarding some of the above posts. I would love to see some pictures of wild vermin killed with a blowgun, using non-poison darts, and posted by the actual person who did the killing. No googled pix from the internet. I know that these things have been used in primitive cultures and are very effective using poison darts, but that is not what we are talking about here. I would love to hear from somebody who actually took a wild animal using just a dart from a blowgun.

Il Duca
December 28, 2012, 12:04 PM
Why would it be so hard to believe a small animal could be taken with a non poisoned dart? You are talking about shooting a foreign object through an animals vital organs. The effect is much like an arrow but on a smaller scale. I can attest that mine has the penetration with the bamboo skewers. I took a pot shot at one of my outside garbage cans just for fun and it penetrated about 3". I'd say that's plenty heft for a squirrel. The real trick is hitting what you want to hit.

bjs1187
December 28, 2012, 03:50 PM
For the record I'm married and do not aspire to be the try state blowgun champ. Anyways cool stories guys. I believe most of them. I might tape a lazer pointer to mine as well neat idea.

Dr. Sandman
December 28, 2012, 10:16 PM
Let's see the pix, Il Duca. I'll bet nobody who reads this has actually done it and can prove it.

Il Duca
December 28, 2012, 10:45 PM
I'll see what I can do. I'm going to practice a little more and take it to the family property. I know where there are some fat, complacent squirrels that are- for now- not the least bit scared of people. Just need to improve my aim some.

JShirley
December 28, 2012, 11:53 PM
I've seen lizards hit with them, back in the 80s. The starlings here that I built the guns for fly off before I get the patio door open.

crazyjennyblack
December 29, 2012, 01:21 AM
Don't worry about the opinions of the womenfolk when it comes to blowguns. I'm a female in the 20's age range, and I have a couple myself. Made my first one out of a copper pipe and some clothes hanger wire for darts when I was 12 and shot a squirrel with it!

Seriously though.... don't use it as a self-defense weapon. It's mostly a toy for rainy days and for the odd squirrel or bird if you live in the city.

blarby
December 29, 2012, 01:30 AM
I would love to hear from somebody who actually took a wild animal using just a dart from a blowgun.

Hear me loud and clear !

I was 13 on the first one- way before cell phone cameras were the norm. *does math* that would be 20 years and some change... Motorolla brick phones, maybe....my dad had a motorolla car phone...but it certainly didn't have a camera in it.

I love squirrel... it was tasty, but a lot less meat than you would assume. The recipe I can give ya- the pics I cannot. If I ever track my dad down- I'll try and find 'em, I swear.

One of the nice things about the 10"ish needles- they dont run that well with it stickin in one side, and out the other- let alone climb back into a tree.

Thankfully, once I proved I could do it without puttin my eye out, my mom got me a proper varmint tool... I miss that rifle.

Practice on apples ... bout the right size and resistance.

JShirley- Just keep one stuck in a whole in the screen door, if she'll let ya :D

Cooldill
December 29, 2012, 03:02 AM
I used to have a blow gun as a kid but never hunted with it. Shot wicked little needles driven by these little rubber sabot type things. One time my dad loaded up only the rubber sabot and shot me with it.

I thought it was the actual needle and was very upset at my dad for some time!

I think the model I had would be effective on mice or rats. I think it could kill something as large as a cat or squirrel, but it requires some lung power and skill to be accurate at any great distance. Keep in mind there are tribal peoples that use them to kill small monkeys high up in trees, and supposedly other tribals. They can in fact be quite effective.

rondog
December 29, 2012, 03:31 AM
I haven't checked the modern blowguns out in a long time, but I know they have "broadhead" darts for them. Those oughta knock a skwerl off yer birdfeeder.

DeTerminator
December 29, 2012, 06:16 PM
Here's a forum that you might like if you're interested in blowguns...

http://blowgun.lefora.com/

glistam
December 30, 2012, 12:20 AM
Don't worry about the opinions of the womenfolk when it comes to blowguns. I'm a female in the 20's age range, and I have a couple myself

I personally don't find certain posts about blowguns marking you as a "permanently single" very funny or all that civil.

The story about the blowgun knock-out I've been meaning to tell actually involves two women.

When I was in college, I lived in a rented house with 3 other guys. I had a 3 ft .40 caliber blowgun I had been fooling around with, along with some stun darts which consist of a round-headed steel machine screw with a plastic cone (they strike head-first) . My girlfriend was over and talking to someone when I came over to show it to her. She took it from my hand with an "Oh awesome!" and, before I could stop her, proceeded to point it down the hallway at my roommates door and blow as hard as she could. I should probably point out a) my girl was an opera singer and brass musician and b) it was loaded.

Another problem I realized too late was the roommate's door was open, and his girlfriend was sitting there in the dark on the computer. The dart hit her temple with an audible thwack, following by a thunk of her falling face-down unconscious on her keyboard. She woke up when we ran to her and checked her, and she had no idea what had just happened but was seeing stars. To this day I've never gotten a straight answer if my girlfriend thought it was unloaded, thought the stunner dart was completely harmless, or was devious enough to know exactly what she was doing, given she wasn't a big fan of the other girl.

Ah the days before YouTube.

bikerdoc
December 30, 2012, 12:01 PM
No blow gun experience here.

Geddinight
December 31, 2012, 12:50 PM
I got a big bore blow gun offered by Cold Steel a few years ago. It came with a variety of dart types and I ordered more. The razortip broadhead darts are the most lethal looking. I haven't even opened the packages of extra darts I bought. I have enough fun with the mixture supplied.

It makes for fun plinking in the basement during the winter. I have tried to hit squirrels in the garden with the stun darts. I haven't connected with one, but when it hits close to them, it moves them out in a hurry.

I haven't tried to hunt any small critters with it, I have many more implements that are better suited to that. I can hit what I aim at out to about 25 feet or so. They are just plain fun for target practice.

Enjoy your new present.

DeTerminator
December 31, 2012, 05:23 PM
I have the Cold Steel big bore version also, and a six-footer from another source (I can't remember where).

They really are very accurate at short range. The stun darts seem to pack a punch. I broke a clay rhino figurine with one!

Lots of fun, for sure...I think that dart weight plays a big factor in it's somewhat limited range, along with bore width and lung power.

kBob
December 31, 2012, 10:06 PM
This afternoon my 10 y/o wanted to shoot her little compound kids bow ( I think of it as a toy and may have to get her something better as she seems genuinely interested) in looking for some appropriate length arrows I ran across a "Blowgun Survival Tool" packed away in an old fidhing rod tube.

WHile the girl pounded an old styrofoam style target block with field points I took to shooting at an aluminum drink can from about 20 feet out (wanted to make sure she hit the block) with the blowgun. What surprised me was that I hit six out of seven and five of the six penitrated the can front and back with the one that did not hit having struck and been stuck in the skirt of an earlier hit. The one I missed with hit the bottom of a can which is considerably thicker and harder than the sides and it penitrated that can bottom.

An attempt to stalk tree rats was twarted by them being wise to what was up or so it seemed.

On another note....

There was for a while a blowgun dart stuck in the t111 siding of my pump house for months. It penitrated the wood and was stuck well enough that I eventually got it out with vise grips. Wasn't fired from a blow gun though. AN Aquantence brought over a small bore potato gun he had made that he used gasoline as a propellent in. It had a large combustion chamber with a screw cap and he would spritz gas from a perfume sprayer into it moments be for firing. The half inch barrel having been punched into a potato, the potato broken off leaving a plug in the barrel and the plug being seated to a greater depth with a ram rod. This was set off with the piezio starter from a BBQ grill. He was hot to showme his new idea for his device. He had made a potato plug but then pushed the blowgun dart through the plug and used the potato as a sabot to get the blowgun dart headed in the right direction.

Fortunately he had only one dart and I got only the one dart stuck in the pump house wall. Come to think of it I don't believe he has been back to the house since then........

-kBob

If you enjoyed reading about "Blow gun power?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!