Model 36 .38 cal. Nickle Plated S&W

PDA

Marshall
March 4, 2004, 09:37 PM
OK guys, how's $395.00 for a LNIB 99.9% beautiful S&W Model 36 .38 cal. Nickle Plated Revolver? I believe it's a 1 7/8 or 2" bbl?

That's all the info I have at this point. If it didn't look new or better I wouldn't be asking.

TY

If you enjoyed reading about "Model 36 .38 cal. Nickle Plated S&W" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ala Dan
March 4, 2004, 10:01 PM
It's true, really nice factory nickel S&W's are
getting a little harder to find. A model 36 in
99.9% condition could be real tough to find?
But ask yourself, do I want to spend these
$$$ on this S&W 36; or do I want to look for
a LNIB "old model" stainless steel model 60
in .38 Special for about the same price?

I say this, and offer as an example my very
own 2" S&W .38 caliber model 60. I bought
this little gem LNIB, without the box, tools,
and warranty card for $249.95 OTD. Mind
you, this is a very clean, and pristine little
S&W. Would I trade it straight-up for a 36
thats a dead ringer at 99.9%? I think not,
cuz I prefer stainless over nickel.

And a little nostalgia, the model 60 was the
very first stainless steel handgun introduced
by Smith & Wesson.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Marshall
March 4, 2004, 10:15 PM
Thanks Ala Dan!

It is true, I did find one, stock S&W timber and all. The thing is, I am not a S&W revolver aficionado, I don't know what period these nickle Model 36's were made? Also, is +P ammo a problem in them?

Actually, I prefer blued but, finding a 99.9% one is a bit*h. The nickle screams beauty and, I have a lot of stainless revolvers anyway.

TY Sir! :)

Ala Dan
March 5, 2004, 02:17 AM
Yes sir, you can shoot a limited amount of
.38 Special +P loads in a S&W model 36. I don't
think anyone would recommend a steady diet of
+P factory fodder in these little J-frames.

And its true also, that nickel is very pretty if
kept clean! :uhoh: :rolleyes: :D

Best Wishes,

RS2
March 5, 2004, 08:15 AM
Last year I picked up a 1971 vintage nickle-plated Model 36 with a 3" tapered barrel and a round butt for $300.00. The finish is nearly perfect, but it needed some cleaning and polishing inside and some new springs. I got a Milt Sparks Summer Special and carry it now and then.

Shortly after I bought it, I called S&W to verify its vintage, and got to talk directly with Roy Jinks. He confirmed the date and the fact that the M36 could indeed withstand a limited diet of +P ammunition.

Ron

Marshall
March 6, 2004, 02:07 AM
TY sir!

tbeb
March 7, 2004, 02:37 AM
2003 Gun Traders Guide says $242 for one in excellent condition and $307 for one in mint condition. If it is a 5-screw, small trigger guard, and SN 1-2500, then $295 for excellent condition and $369 for mint condition.

Ala Dan
March 7, 2004, 04:22 AM
Att: Marshall

The 2nd edition of Standard Catalog Of Smith & Wesson
by Supica & Nahas say's $375 for NIB, and $300 for EXC.

Best Wishes,

Marshall
March 7, 2004, 11:03 AM
TY again guys!

I made an offer, he came down some but not to where I thought was reasonable. I passed. TY again for your assistance!

;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Model 36 .38 cal. Nickle Plated S&W" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!