What to do?

PDA

wannabeagunsmith
December 27, 2012, 03:31 PM
The anti's think they have us outnumbered, maybe it is true, and the next ban would be unlike anything else. WHAT should we be doing to try and stop this ban? I have a feeling O will pass it and our senators, congressmen will turn on us

If you enjoyed reading about "What to do?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mcdonl
December 27, 2012, 03:35 PM
1 - Write your senators
2 - Join the NRA
3 - Be a smart advocate

CoRoMo
December 27, 2012, 03:40 PM
I used to write my representatives.

That was the way I contacted them when I didn't really want to contact them.

What I need to do from now on is call their offices and ask to speak with them. If I'm able to speak to them, I'm going to ask them to find a moment in their schedule to meet with me to discuss the issues I believe they should be representing. If they refuse, they will fully hear what I think of their lack of representation and I will not cast another vote for them.

Lex Luthier
December 27, 2012, 03:45 PM
Political correctness and pussilanimousness will prevail to assuage the weak, dumb and impressionable media-drunk public.

Personally, I am designing more creative (surreptitious) storage options.

22-rimfire
December 27, 2012, 03:57 PM
The media is still hammering away at the gun control issue. It has diminished a bit, but still a pretty active topic. Give things some time and it won't be front page news. But once the bill is introduced in the House and Senate, that is when to contact your representatives. I think you should probably contact them every few weeks.

I am still wondering about Bill O'Reilly. He is a big voice, but my take currently is that he feels these "heavy weapons" should not be allowed to be owned or used by civilians. He seems to mix apples and oranges and probably simply doesn't have the knowledge to discriminate between his "heavy weapons". But he is pretty adament about home defense as he does get threats. I think we need to try to convince HIM to support no changes in gun laws as they laws simply control honest people and not the criminals that we all would like the controls to affect. That would be a significant start in our war against the new AWB and other future restrictive regulations/laws that disproportionally impact honest people over the the people that they should want to impact.

The NRA needs a consistant message and they need more than one voice in the media. I think the current message is sound overall as it recommends something that will generally work (if you are willing to pay for it) in schools, but also brings up the culture. It is not the culture of violence the media likes to talk about that is the most important. It is the American culture that continues to diminish the value of human life and that provides the pathway to violence in general. It is a social problem and the South Side of Chicago is a classic example.

The mental health issue is very important. But how a bill may be crafted is of the utmost importance. Stating something like... "If one child is saved, then it's worth the cost to society." is mostly liberal speak when they often want guns to be totally outlawed from private ownership (except of course if they own them).

If you enjoyed reading about "What to do?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!