Cast & Plated bullets in a semi auto rifle ????

PDA

jeeptim
December 27, 2012, 03:28 PM
I have been thinking about using plated and or gas checked lead bullets in an SKS and .308 saiga is this just a bad Idea?
And do you think I can get it to cycle the action with out making a leaddy mess of things?

If you enjoyed reading about "Cast & Plated bullets in a semi auto rifle ????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RandyP
December 27, 2012, 03:41 PM
I believe that Berry's recommends not exceeding 1900fps in their plated rifle bullets. So if you can stay under that speed, you'd be OK, otherwise just shoot jacketed.

Plated pistol bullets max out at 1250fps.

No experience with bare lead myself, my local indoor ranges require plated or FMJ only.

drhenzler
December 27, 2012, 03:54 PM
Xtreeme Bullets make a .311 diameter 123 gr bullet for the 7.62x39 round. I have been thinking about using them in a 7.7x58 Jap Arisaka. The speed issue will likely be to optimize the RPM so as to not over-stabilize and cause cork screwing down range. My deal is only to have inexpensive target loads that shoot accurately and don't consume a lot of powder. One load shows 15gr of Unique behind this bullet. I'm going to try them and see. Xtreeme will send you samples. They also have 308 diameter 150gr plated bullets that they say can be fired at regular rifle velocities...

Regards

dhenzler@sonic.net

jeeptim
December 27, 2012, 04:03 PM
Hey Randy,
Yeah all we do is outdoor shooting and the reason i ask about the lead is I take my son and his buddys out all in college, And my son's friends ask my son if they should pay for some ammo and in an instant my boy reply's NO my Dad reloads it's ol'most free just pick up the brass and 1700 rounds later all I'm thinking yeah ol'most free>but its worth every pull of the handle good kids and the postings on facebook with the pix and vid's priceless.
So if I could shoot lead wouldn't save any could just shoot more.

56hawk
December 27, 2012, 09:26 PM
I shoot plated, but wouldn't run lead through any gun with a gas system. There is a really good chance that the lead will jam the gas piston and you will have to beat the bolt open.

GLOOB
December 27, 2012, 09:59 PM
do you think I can get it to cycle the action with out making a leaddy mess of things?
Mebbe. You might have to experiment with different powders to get it to cycle reliably.

Leady mess is kinda relative. My 223 gas piston rifle works perfectly fine for awhile. Then all of a sudden it will seize up when the lead builds up. If you clean it regularly, no problem. The lead brushes off easy if you catch it in time.

...you will have to beat the bolt open.
If I let my gun seize up, the bolt doesn't close all the way. So I have to beat the bolt CLOSED to get mine apart. I get a couple drops of hoppes into the piston, wait awhile, then let the bolt slam shut. No biggie. But it's better to clean it every 200 rds before this happens.

cfullgraf
December 27, 2012, 10:26 PM
I have been shooting Berry's plated 30 caliber, 110 RN in my 30 Carbines with good success. Berry recommends a maximum speed of around 1900 fps with them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cast & Plated bullets in a semi auto rifle ????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!