AR barrel work

PDA

RedNoma
December 27, 2012, 05:05 PM
In looking for a good smith to do some barrel work for me. The upper is a RRA 24" varmint model. I'd like it cut down to 22" or 21" with a recessed target crown. I'm also interested in having it bead blasted and then fluted in front of and behind the gas block. I was dead set on having Ballistic Advantage do the work, but they just emailed back and aren't doing custom work at this time. It would be great if I could have a guy do it within driving distance, but I've yet to find a smith around here. There is a Gander Mountain an hour away, but they are too expensive for my taste. For the money, I'd rather send it to an individual smith.

If you enjoyed reading about "AR barrel work" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
highorder
December 27, 2012, 05:14 PM
Adco does great work.

http://www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices/

velocette
December 27, 2012, 07:29 PM
Red;
It might be less expensive for you to buy a new barrel exactly like what you want, then sell your existent barrel. Changing barrels on an AR is drop dead easy and if you buy your new barrel with a headspaced bolt (a good idea anyway) you might get what you want for a lot less than paying a smith to modify your existent barrel. A custom barrel maker can and will make exactly what you want and probably save you some of your hard earned $.

Roger

RedNoma
December 28, 2012, 07:51 PM
That's an option, but I'm not a big fan of it now. I love the accuracy (with the Black Hills 68gr I use I shoot around 0.625"-0.750" 10 shot groups at 100yds with horrible eye relief). I don't want to risk that with another barrel. I did find a shop to cut and crown for $50, but they don't flute, which I think I've decided against anyway.

adelbridge
December 28, 2012, 11:04 PM
having your barrel operated on doesnt guarantee you are going to retain the same accuracy. If you are looking to cut weight I wouldnt expect any miracles with your planned circumcision , you are talking ounces at best. Get a carbon fiber free float tube and maybe switch to a skeleton stock. Once the market frees up a barrel swap is an easy job for you to do in the garage and you wouldnt have to wait for a smith to complete labor.

chaser_2332
December 29, 2012, 02:17 AM
What part of ky are u from Noma?

RedNoma
December 29, 2012, 02:37 PM
I don't see that a competent cut and crown would adversely effect accuracy, with the exclusion of losing some long range velocity. I would love get a carbon tube, but there are other things that are priority to that. I'm wanting to free up some weight and improve balance. It's a very awkward gun at this point.

And I'm in Metcalfe county. About halfway between bowling green and somerset.

If you enjoyed reading about "AR barrel work" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!