anyone carry full size 1911?

PDA

chucker85
December 27, 2012, 05:43 PM
I really love how my 1911 shoots and thinking hard about carrying it now. Anyone else carry a 1911 and have advice for me? Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "anyone carry full size 1911?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
longknife12
December 27, 2012, 05:45 PM
Practice...practice...practice.....
Dan
;)

mljdeckard
December 27, 2012, 05:47 PM
Yup. Full-size, all-steel. Year-round. Including 100+ degree summers. Get a good belt and a good holster. (Crossbreed Supertuck works for me.)

John828
December 27, 2012, 05:48 PM
I'd check over in the Autoloader Handgun sub-forum:

http://www.thehighroad.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33

smalls
December 27, 2012, 05:52 PM
Commander, close enough?

A good belt/holster combo goes a loooooong way. Carries really nice, though. The slimness makes it not feel like a brick to me.

If you don't currently carry something with exterior safeties, practice until its second nature.

ms6852
December 27, 2012, 06:02 PM
Yup. Full-size, all-steel. Year-round. Including 100+ degree summers. Get a good belt and a good holster. (Crossbreed Supertuck works for me.)
+1, I use the supertuck, very comfortable for full size 1911. If your pants keep dropping consider using suspenders and a belt, works for me.

chucker85
December 27, 2012, 06:29 PM
I do carry a 45 right now - Taurus PT145 - bulky but it works - have a great belt and a great IWB holster. Summer time in shorts is a bit different, but it works. I do like the slim-ness of the 1911.

Ky Larry
December 27, 2012, 06:43 PM
I carried a full size Kimber Custom Defender II in .45 ACP for years. Lately I've been carrying my CZ PCR 9mm more and more. I still love Ol' Slabside but sometimes it's just too big.

BobTheTomato
December 27, 2012, 06:56 PM
Yes......be fat.....it makes it easier

GE-Mini-Gun
December 27, 2012, 08:06 PM
Sig C3...year round

rswartsell
December 27, 2012, 08:13 PM
Yep, Kimber Custom II Target on occasion. Thanks to Bob the Tomato, very seldom I hear of any advantage to my being a "man of (excess) substance".

trickyasafox
December 27, 2012, 08:23 PM
I do- mostly appendix carry. You never forget its there. Make sure you get a full length sweat shield, or the hammer will eat you up.

rswartsell
December 27, 2012, 08:29 PM
+1^

AFDavis11
December 27, 2012, 08:43 PM
1911s are child's play to carry. I prefer a light weight Commander size, but a good holster and belt are both mandatory for the steel versions. It is really concealable in an IWB holster though.

Try carrying an N frame revolver and then we can discuss a challenge. A 1911 is a very thin weapon.

I carry at 4 o'clock with a Versamax II. A very effective holster.

2wheels
December 27, 2012, 08:45 PM
Occasionally, but I'd rather carry a Commander or a CCO. The slightly shorter barrel makes it more comfortable carrying IWB.

It ain't that hard really, makes me wonder why people whine about the weight of a steel 1911... Do they not own belts or something?

Skylerbone
December 28, 2012, 01:34 AM
My biggest problem with carrying a Government Model IWB is the limited space it leaves between the muzzle and my back pocket. Makes pulling my wallet out a bit more difficult.

I carry in a Summer Special style holster with a real gun belt and the weight is not a problem. For OWB I'd recommend either the highest riding holster you can find that isn't floppy or a Commander length. I would suggest deciding on which condition you will carry in (Condition 1 for me) and I would suggest not using a thumb break style holster. Sort that out and you'll be fine.

A good place to start: http://www.5shotleather.com/

DC3-CVN-72
December 28, 2012, 01:49 AM
Not yet, but I will some time after 6-9-13 !! :D

1911 guy
December 28, 2012, 02:33 AM
I've carried nothing but a full size 1911 for years. The hard part of concealing a handgun is the width and the grip frame length. The 1911 is thinner than most and no longer in the grip frame than any other decently sized handgun. I did try to carry a Kel-Tek P3AT as a BUG for a while, but actually found it much more uncomfortable, it kept poking me in the side.

Step one is to make the decision to carry a decent sized pistol. Accept that you won't be able to pocket carry, most "tuckable" holsters will make you look like a cossack dancer and people who carry mouseguns will tell you you're needlessly torturing yourself. Remember what you're gaining. A larger pistol that is easier to operate, has a longer sight radius, less recoil, chambered in something far larger than .32 or .380 and you happen to shoot it well. If you haven't made up your mind to really do it, you'll wind up leaving it at home. It can be a pain in the tuckus until you get it worked out for yourself. Decide to do it and persevere. It will become second nature.

Step two is a good gunbelt. A nice, thick leather belt isn't necesarily a gunbelt. A gunbelt is purpose made and will cost you anywhere between forty bucks for a Wilderness (my personal favorite, regardless of cost) to hundreds if you go in for custom work with all the fancy engraving and exotic materials. A good holster is worthless is held up by a crappy belt.

Step three is the holster. Decide if you want to go IWB or OWB. I find IWB gives me a bit more leeway in clothing, but OWB is a bit more comfortable. I carry OWB when I can, IWB when I need to. Expect to buy more than one holster. Expect to buy more than three or four holsters. Every maker has certain angles and features that differentiate them from everyone else. It will take some experimenting. You don't have to go broke, though. Research your first purchase as well as you can, then compare your experience to what else is available. Make due with the first while you save and research the next. And so on. One day, you'll find "it". And it will be different than my "it" because we are shaped differently, move differently and have different levels of required retention and concealment. We also probably have differing levels of acceptance for discomfort or inconvenience. All these figure into holster choice. Off the rack, Galco and El Paso Saddlery make good stuff. If you are willing to wait a bit, there are custom makers that will provide leather just as good, in a lot of cases better, for the same money. Custom stuff I like includes the Crossbreed Supertuck, Sparks Versa-Max, Sparks Summer Special, Bromeland Max-Con (I think he's out of business, though) and one whose name escapes me. I can't go look, my wife's asleep in the bedroom. Waking her up looking at holsters is a recipe for disaster. I personally don't like shoulder holsters and can't tell you a thing about them. Some people like them, though. You may wind up being one of those unfortunate souls, ahem, I mean lucky individuals.

Step four is magazines. If you carry ANY type of autoloader, you need at least one reload. Tossing lead downrange has nothing to do with it. The most common source of malfunctions in an autoloading pistol is magazine failure. I find that especially carrying OWB, two reloads simply balances out the weight better. IWB it doesn't seem to matter as much since the waistband of my pants, as well as the belt, are supporting the pistol. If you go this route, remember that two single carriers take up less real estate on the belt than a double carrier. Unless they're paddle style. Then they are massive space hogs.

Step five is to realize that ninety nine percent of the people around you are positively clueless. One percent will spot a little lump in your clothing, and ninety nine percent of those will assume it's a cell phone, blackberry, etc. When in doubt, do the mirror or spouse check. If I question the "hang" of a certain shirt or jacket, I simply ask my wife. Sometimes I ask her when I'm not carrying, just to keep her honest!

kyletx1911
December 28, 2012, 03:25 AM
Ria all day every day

Rubber_Duck
December 28, 2012, 06:33 AM
1911 guy gives great advice. I carry my Colt XSE LW Commander OWB in a cheap Tagua thumbreak belt holster and it just disappears under a medium size T-shirt, very comfortable.

+1 on getting a good belt, the one I have now isn't very good, I'm always readjusting it when I'm carrying.

Sergei Mosin
December 28, 2012, 08:12 AM
1911 guy speaks wisdom. Lots of us carry full-size 1911s and don't think anything of it. Come to think of it, my 1911 is the smallest gun I've ever carried!

otasan56
December 28, 2012, 08:17 AM
I carry a Springfield Armory M1911A1 .45 ACP in the winter-time, because I don't trust my 115gr 9mm +p+ JHPs to make it through winter clothing.

CDW4ME
December 28, 2012, 09:30 AM
Strong side IWB, Blade-Tech UCH.

I like the BladeTech UCH because of the adjustable kant; I wear the pistol at about 3:00 with it canted forward so that it doesn't print.
Two things I did with this holster to make it perfect for me: one, I canted it all the way forward then put clear adhesive sealant all over the area where it would / could have moved preventing any unwanted slipage, second I removed what I deemed excess material from the holster, now it's perfect.

vba
December 28, 2012, 10:03 AM
Yes, carry a full size Colt 1991A1 (ORM) in the fall/winter. Use either a Galco outside or Milt Sparks summer special inside the waist band. Usually carry a Kahr CM9 or S&W M&P9c in the summer.

LNK
December 28, 2012, 10:32 AM

^^^^Best advice right here....There are clones as well, I too wear a 1911 every day. Get a good belt, and shirts one size larger than you wear now. I conceal in the summer under a T-shirt no problem.

I use a Theis holster which is a clone of the Supertuck. Get the horsehide as it doesn't absorb sweat. That and clean your gun weekly, check it daily(press check), everytime you put it on......and practice.

Good luck,
LNK

BigJimP
December 28, 2012, 06:48 PM
Yes, my primary carry gun is a 5" all steel Wilson Combat CQB in .45 acp....

and I use either a Kramer horsehide leather ...outside waist band Scabbard with a forward FBI tilt....or an IWB with the same tilt.

I'm a little bigger than the "average buffalo" at 6'5" and 290...so its easy to have large, loose fitting shirts, vest or jackets...and hide a 1911...with a good belt and a good holster...

http://kramerleather.com/

I'm pretty comfortable with either holster...but outside waist band Scabbard is more comfortable in winter - when you have a coat on.

otasan56
December 29, 2012, 10:34 AM
Not yet, but I will some time after 6-9-13 !! :D
Thank you for your service on the Abe Lincoln.

Roadking Rider
December 29, 2012, 11:34 AM
I carry mine on occasion when I'm going just leaving the house for a short period of time, but my full time EDC is a Kahr PM9.

HEAVY METAL 1
December 29, 2012, 12:07 PM
I carry my Colt in OWB Glaco Fletch during most days, Ruger stainless if really rainy out. The Galco holster is very comfortable for me. In the cooler days a jacket covers it well. Warmer days I have a vest from Travel Smith that covers the rig well. I use a belt and suspenders.

ApacheCoTodd
December 29, 2012, 03:32 PM
Mostly this one in a Bucheimer with a spare mag as an open carry. After a scare on a motorcycle with failing stitching - I'm switching to a cross draw when I find one that will also carry the spare mag.

The only real problem is folk wanting to finger it when I'm out or the "true believers" trying to talk me into a Glock. No kidding, having a 1911 on your hip seems to draw them outa the wood work in an effort to convert you.

petrey10
December 29, 2012, 06:36 PM
Chuck norris does... haha

Girodin
December 29, 2012, 07:41 PM
In response to post #18. It paints a bit of a false dichotomy, there is quite a spectrum of carry guns between duty sized guns like a 5" 1911 and mouse guns like an LCP.

I have carried a 1911, full size, steel frame (its not my current choice or preference for various reasons). It is certainly doable though. As others have said, a proper belt and good holster go a long ways. Since you already have the gun, try it out.

Carter
December 29, 2012, 07:43 PM
I carry mine a lot. Usually open carry, but with a baggy enough shirt to conceal it if I want to.

I use a crossbreed gun belt and either a serpa paddle or Falco owb holster.

Hit_Factor
December 29, 2012, 08:11 PM
I carry a full-size Springfield in a Galco Concealable holster. It's pretty much for show, you know, barbeque gun.

I'm more likely to carry a Springfield EMP, also in a Galco Concealable.

If I'm hunting, fishing or doing something that might get my gun dirty I carry a Glock in a Galco Concealable.

45crittergitter
December 29, 2012, 10:24 PM
EDC of a 5" 1911 here. I do have a few words:

Lightweight frame
High quality, adjustable angle IWB holster with thumb break strap
Good 1-3/4" belt

otasan56
December 30, 2012, 01:47 PM
I carry a Springfield Armory M1911A1 .45 ACP in the winter-time, because I don't trust my 115gr 9mm +p+ JHPs to make it through winter clothing.
I have changed my mind. I m going to stay with my OC G17.

Vern Humphrey
December 30, 2012, 07:02 PM
My biggest problem with carrying a Government Model IWB is the limited space it leaves between the muzzle and my back pocket. Makes pulling my wallet out a bit more difficult.
Start carrying your wallet on the weak side.

Remember, when you are carrying under a jacket, and reach back under the jacket for your wallet, you can expose your gun if you carry the wallet on the strong side.

Skylerbone
December 30, 2012, 07:24 PM
IWB so it isn't exposed. OWB I bring the whole rig forward to about 4 o'clock. I don't lift my shirt with either but the wallet's removal requires movement toward the relatively close muzzle. I may have to break down and change pockets but like any habit good or bad it's hard to break.

Vern Humphrey
December 30, 2012, 07:44 PM
But not impossible to break -- and there are no serious consequences to an occasional lapse. I started carrying my wallet in the left back pocket many years ago, and now it would seem strange to carry in in the right pocket.

Rexster
January 1, 2013, 01:21 PM
I really love how my 1911 shoots and thinking hard about carrying it now. Anyone else carry a 1911 and have advice for me? Thanks
Yes, much of the time, I carry a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special. I prefer OWB carry, usually in a Bulman FDS, but sometimes use a Milt Sparks VM II for IWB carry.

Sandshooter
January 1, 2013, 09:44 PM
You bet! I carry a Springfield Armory 1911-A1 in condition 1 as my primary and a Glock 32 chambered in .357 sig as a backup. I love the weight and reliability of the full sized mil spec .45 auto for CCW any day! The trick is to use a belt slide leather holster for a smooth but quick draw allowing the weapon to fall into a natural point of aim for a very fast first shot. If you have ever had the unpleasant experience of having to shoot someone that is trying to kill you, then you will understand how critical it is to put that threat down with 1 shot!

4thHorseman
January 1, 2013, 11:27 PM
It's not easy, especially in summer wear. Long shirt tails and dark clothing is a must for me. I have "high ride" pancake holster which rides very high on my hip.
A good thing about it however, most people never make it out even when it prints heavily. I have never been made yet, even though the bottom of the holster may extend past the shirt at times by accident.
Just make sure you know the law and follow it precisely.

tarosean
January 2, 2013, 12:29 AM
a LW COmmander in El Paso IWB 98% of the time.

2zulu1
January 3, 2013, 10:46 PM
Most of the time for a number of years, usually IWB. In town is 45 auto, most of my time is spent at my place or other rural areas, then it's 38 Super. The Super has been used a number of times on vermin, including very close shots. :)

JVaughn
January 3, 2013, 10:49 PM
All day every day. I use a Don Hume IWB strong side.

SharpsDressedMan
January 4, 2013, 07:45 PM
My most carried 1911 is a Colt Super .38. It's my "birthday gun", made in 1952, and has a Bar Sto barrel, but otherwise stock Colt parts (although some are from a 1927 Argentine Colt). http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m247/matquig/DSC06174.jpg

QUICK_DRAW_McGRAW
January 5, 2013, 12:28 AM
My EDC, rides in a don hume pcch for now until my buddy finishes my custom IWB holster he is making me.

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii545/TheMulletBullet/DSC_0020.jpg

2zulu1
January 5, 2013, 02:21 AM
My most carried 1911 is a Colt Super .38. It's my "birthday gun", made in 1952, and has a Bar Sto barrel, but otherwise stock Colt parts (although some are from a 1927 Argentine Colt). http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m247/matquig/DSC06174.jpg
That is sweet, I like the grips too. :)

IlikeSA
January 5, 2013, 09:12 AM
I carry OWB and am 5-9, 180. In the winter I wear sports coats and in the summer long linen shirts. It conceals really easily.

otasan56
January 5, 2013, 09:23 AM
Yes. Carry some potent 230gr JHP ammo.

malakili
January 5, 2013, 01:32 PM
i have found my 5" Springfield milspec to be a very doable edc. i carry in a bladetech phantom iwb on a wilderness instructor belt with two reloads in the factory Springfield mag carrier.

bannockburn
January 5, 2013, 06:01 PM
I prefer to carry more along the lines of a Commander, an Officers Model, or a New Agent. But I do have a Lightweight Government that I have been thinking about putting into the regular rotation.

If you enjoyed reading about "anyone carry full size 1911?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!