Any Sign of the Craze slowing?

PDA

Isaac-1
December 27, 2012, 06:07 PM
I was just wondering if there is any sign of the gun buying craze slowing where you are?

I ask because I was just in a local sporting goods store (main LGS is closed until after new years) and the shelves were looking bare in the gun department . To put this in perspective I bought an AR there 10 days ago, and at the time the display racks were full (mostly hunting rifles / shotguns, some HD shotguns too, only a couple of models of AR's), the the AR I bought came from the back room stock. Now there are no semi auto rifles of any kind, and no HD style shotguns either, most of what is left is bolt action rifles, and I would say the display racks are more empty than full. No one was in buying, but given the selection I can't read much into that. They did still have a reasonable ammo selection though, just not in the popular rounds, no bulk pack .22 either.

Ike

If you enjoyed reading about "Any Sign of the Craze slowing?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
fatcat4620
December 27, 2012, 06:17 PM
no, ask again in 6 months.

Ky Larry
December 27, 2012, 06:18 PM
I was in Bud's today and there were piles of BushMasters and Double Stars. Also had cases of .223 sitting around. I checked 2 other lgs's and they had AR-type weapons for sale.Is it possible this "shortage" is being artificially created by manufacturers and wholesalers to drive up prices? I have no proof of this but I'm old enough to remember the 1970s "shortages" of gas,sugar,copper wire, and toilet paper. I don't know if it's happening now but I've seen it happen before.

Onward Allusion
December 27, 2012, 06:21 PM
No. Not slowing down any time soon. Gunbroker has Ruger BX-25 mags going for over $60 a piece. Even the crappy Eagle 10/22 mags are going for $30-something a piece. Glock 17 mags are going for about $50 a piece. I think the prices will either drop like a rock if nothing happens in late January or February.

Balrog
December 27, 2012, 06:26 PM
Right now on budsgunshop.com, there is a Colt 6920 with a bid of $2000 and a Kel Tec Sub2K with a bid of $1200.

Thats almost twice as much as retail for the Colt a few months ago, and about 3 or 4 times as high for the Kel Tec.

No, its not slowing down. And neither are the liberals.

Roadkill
December 27, 2012, 06:29 PM
It took me ten or so stores on line to find 30-30 ammunition. All "sold out" or 'closed due to overload'. What does that tell you?

Texan Scott
December 27, 2012, 06:38 PM
Any sign of The Craze slowing?

Not really. She's 79, but in apparently good health. California keeps electing her.

And the grand old gal is definitely still doing her part to sell guns and ammo.

Ky Larry
December 27, 2012, 06:52 PM
Balrog,IIRC the BushMasters were going for $850.00 and the Double Stars were marked $1100.00. (+ or - change)

Jorg Nysgerrig
December 27, 2012, 06:52 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=176732&d=1356652204

76shuvlinoff
December 27, 2012, 07:07 PM
I "Watched" 5 LE6920s today on Gunbrokers.com, they sold from $1950 to $2800.

JFrame
December 27, 2012, 07:14 PM
Not really. She's 79, but in apparently good health. California keeps electing her.

http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/big_standart/biggrin.gif

That was brilliant...! http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/artists/just_cuz/JC_doubleup.gif

trickyasafox
December 27, 2012, 07:17 PM
definitely still in full panic mode in my area. I hoping for it to break by the time I get my tax return.

Torghn
December 27, 2012, 07:26 PM
jgsales.com has AKs in stock at a decent price. Sure, no ARs yet, but it's a good sign.

Ryanxia
December 27, 2012, 07:29 PM
It won't slow down until after this gun control bill passes or fails.

See signature to do your part as an American.

HammerheadSSN663
December 27, 2012, 07:46 PM
Never forget Patsy Shcroeder or Barbara Boxer folks.

almherdfan
December 27, 2012, 07:48 PM
I stopped by three LGS today looking for .22LR (and to see what was left after the locust came). The closest shop only had 50-round boxes of Winchester for $2.50 (I bought 5-taking my wife's aunt shooting on Sunday). He usually doesn't keep many AR/AKs in stock, so I wasn't surprised he didn't have any. He had a nice supply of revolvers and high end 1911s, but most of the mid-range pistols were gone.

I stopped by another shop about 25-miles away. I had purchased some .22LR a week before Christmas ($2/box). Then they had the Remington Buckets of Bullets for $64 and Bricks of Blazer for $25. Today they had the same boxes of Winchester I had just bought near home @$2/50 for $5.00/50 and CCI Mini-Mags for $8.99. Prior to the "Craze", there were three racks of AR/AKs. Today they were empty. They had 3 SKS rilfes, the cheapest was $400.

On my way back home, I stopped by one more shop. They were selling bricks of Remington Yellow Jackets for $59. That's all he had. He had an SKS on the counter with a $649 price tag. It had a Barska reflex sight and the detachable mags.

The first two shops were very busy, but the last shop was empty.

W.E.G.
December 27, 2012, 08:00 PM
jgsales.com has AKs in stock at a decent price.

Provided that you think $800 is a good price for an AK.

Torghn
December 27, 2012, 09:07 PM
Provided that you think $800 is a good price for an AK.
I said decent, not good. It's $200 over what it should be, which in this climate isn't bad.

BK
December 27, 2012, 09:34 PM
The first term craze lasted a good eight to ten months and there wasn't even a bill seriously proposed. Pack a lunch and get comfy, this one is going to linger.

The-Reaver
December 27, 2012, 11:31 PM
Ask after America's second civil war.

JBrady555
December 28, 2012, 12:13 AM
my local walmart just had a fresh batch of tulammo 7.62x39 come in and its holding up pretty well on the shelf. No big run on it this time. I picked up 200 rounds and went on my merry way.

HOOfan_1
December 28, 2012, 12:18 AM
After Midway canceled my powder order....because it was not in stock as they originally said it was (thanks for nothing)...I asked my retired dad to go out and look for some H335 powders.....he went 3 places....nothing. No primers, no powder.

Caliper_RWVA
December 28, 2012, 12:29 AM
All the gun stores near me are out of anything black and semi auto. Good time to buy up some 03-A3's and other bolt actions that seem to have come in on trade however.

No, I do not think the shortage is manufactured. These are shops that are usually well stocked.

Contact your legislators though! That is the way to make this insanity end.

Grassman
December 28, 2012, 12:36 AM
I was at Cabelas today on a Thursday at 1 PM, and it was a mad house. I actually ran into people that voted for obama, yet they wanted an AR....Go figure...

jmfc606
December 28, 2012, 01:16 AM
It's only slowing down because there is nothing left to buy the fits into the "craze". No stores have AR's, mags, 223/556 ammo amd surprizingly .22lr ammo. after the stores restock and catch a breath I think it will keep on until we have something in writing from obama/biden at the end of Jan. JMHO

Agsalaska
December 28, 2012, 01:27 AM
It's only slowing down because there is nothing left to buy the fits into the "craze". No stores have AR's, mags, 223/556 ammo amd surprizingly .22lr ammo. after the stores restock and catch a breath I think it will keep on until we have something in writing from obama/biden at the end of Jan. JMHO
I agree. It will not end until there is more clarity to what the future brings. If the appearance of a ban becomes more of a reality, we haVe yet to see the peak prices.

Agsalaska
December 28, 2012, 01:30 AM
Sorry. Multiple posts

cyclopsshooter
December 28, 2012, 01:56 AM
Good time to buy up some 03-A3's and other bolt actions that seem to have come in on trade however.

^^^ Just nabbed a Smith Corona.. seeing some Smith revolvers coming on the market too.

jhco50
December 28, 2012, 02:07 AM
As of today, Colorado background checks are backed up for days. :what:

SiteManager
December 28, 2012, 10:01 AM
^^^Same here in Kansas. Cannot pick up my M&P until 1/3/2013...

Ky Larry
December 28, 2012, 11:43 AM
This mess couldn't have happened at a worse time. Retailer and wholesalers were rying to clear their inventories before the end of the year to avoid taxes. Their inventories were already shorter than any other month. I'm curious about what the supply levcel will be in a couple of weeks and a couple of months.

lionking
December 28, 2012, 08:49 PM
If anybody is in desperate need to come up with funds for a AR or whatever and plan on selling a Gibson Lespaul to do so let me know I'll give a offer for it.:p

Cosmoline
December 28, 2012, 08:52 PM
I'm seeing some signs that it's abating a bit. Some of the more egregious gougers have had to drop their prices a notch on the swap boards. But there are still some really ridiculous bidding wars on GB.

My main concern isn't high caps but ammo supplies. I remember the last time we ran out locally it took months and months to get things back up and running. And with the warehouses in Seattle empty, it could be half a year or more before we have a functional ammo or component supply here. I will likely have to back off shooting the AR and use the Mosins more since I still have a massive supply for them.

Cesiumsponge
December 28, 2012, 08:55 PM
Several AR companies are over 50k+ units backordered. Looking at the ATF manufacturing numbers, that's over a years' worth of manufacturing for some companies. It'll take a while just to clear THIS alone before satisfying any increased demand from now onwards. No one is going to ramp up projected production if those projections in the future are a post-ban world. You can also only "ramp up" so much as a company. You're not going to suddenly increase production 500%. Manufacturing runs at already nearly peak efficiency. There are only so many extra shifts and days you can add work to. Everyone is going to play it cautiously, kind of like investors on the economy and potential future tax breaks/hikes being an uncertainty.

splithoof
December 28, 2012, 09:00 PM
Lionking, thats funny. I won't be parting with any of my classic Fender's, Gibson's or Martin's any time soon for some hunk of black plastic and aluminum.

Luv 2 Shoot
December 28, 2012, 09:05 PM
Went in a local retail sporting goods chain store today to see. They usually have a good selection and stock. Handgun case was mostly empty. All semiauto rifles were gone. At 3:00 there were 2 people in process doing paperwork, about 12 in line, and one poor guy working the counter by himself.

texasgun
December 28, 2012, 11:00 PM
I feel bad for gunstore employees... their hours will be cut soon. at my local gun store pretty much ALL rifles are gone and they only have a few handguns left. you don't need 6 employees just to sell handguns when you are nearly out of them anyway....

4thHorseman
December 29, 2012, 12:41 AM
quote:
Any sign of the craze slowing?

lmao!!!!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Any Sign of the Craze slowing?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!