Please help.

PDA

miamivicedade
December 27, 2012, 09:10 PM
I just purchased an SX3 from Dick's Sporting Goods. I couldn't pass on it, as it was $639.99. While giving it it's first cleaning, and inspection, I did see the barrel portion, under the foregrip, seemed miscolored. I just want to get others opinions. I am hoping this isnt rust. Has anyone seen miscoloring on these before?

Addition: The rest of the gun, barrel, bolt, piston, gas system is FLAWLESS.

http://aaronjacobs.com/bp.html

Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Please help." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
oneounceload
December 27, 2012, 09:21 PM
Dissimilar metals maybe?

miamivicedade
December 27, 2012, 09:29 PM
It's possible. I does not look or feel like rust to me, but then again, I am not really sure what the beginning of rust looks like.

miamivicedade
December 27, 2012, 09:42 PM
Anyone else? Do you think it's rust?

bainter1212
December 27, 2012, 09:52 PM
Looks like a patina to me. Keep it coated with a thin layer of grease or oil and don't worry about it. If it's rust it will wipe off red after soaking in oil for awhile. If no red, then it's patina, and you're all good.

Liberty1776
December 27, 2012, 09:56 PM
To me it looks like a post-metal treatment patina. Maybe even a residual heat treatment patina. Does not look like rust.

gfpd707
December 27, 2012, 10:02 PM
Looks like a heating discoloration. I would oil it and keep an eye on it. Most likely nothing.

miamivicedade
December 27, 2012, 10:09 PM
Thanks. Crap now I am worried.

toivo
December 27, 2012, 10:33 PM
The barrel lugs on Beretta semi-auto shotguns all look like that. It isn't rust.

Uniquedot
December 27, 2012, 10:34 PM
Are you talking about the barrel lug? if so the discoloration is a normal production process.

miamivicedade
December 27, 2012, 10:42 PM
It's the gas bracket. I just looked in the manual.

browningguy
December 27, 2012, 11:18 PM
It's not a problem.

miamivicedade
December 27, 2012, 11:19 PM
Thank you all.

1911 guy
December 28, 2012, 12:28 AM
I agree. It looks to me like the thin metal that bracket is made of merely took coloration due to the heat of soldering to the barrel. The barrel looks fine because it has much more mass to distribute the heat through conduction. That little part just didn't have the same mass to dissipate heat. I say no problem, and if you look at nearly any soldered part on anything, gun or not, small parts are often discolored by heat. If it was a cosmetic issue (not covered by the forend), it would have been buffed out. As is, no harm no foul.

Al Thompson
December 28, 2012, 08:39 AM
Ditto - no issue. :)

miamivicedade
December 28, 2012, 08:46 AM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the help. :D

rcmodel
December 28, 2012, 10:45 AM
I imagine the gas bracket is stainless steel, and the barrel isn't.

Then, it is induction brazed to the barrel and the heat discolors it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_brazing

As others said, No problem.

rc

Virginian
December 28, 2012, 01:20 PM
It's fine. Different alloys take bluing differently, and getting a deep rich blue on the gas ring is passe.

If you enjoyed reading about "Please help." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!