Last one for now...

PDA

SaxonPig
December 28, 2012, 09:49 AM
While visiting a friend over Christmas he offered me a S&W revolver his wife wanted to sell. She had inherited several guns from her father five years ago and a couple were staying in the family and a couple that had no emotional attachments were now for sale. What he showed me was a 1976 vintage 4" Model 29-2 that was in pristine, unfired condition in an equally pristine wooden case. It could be mine for $650.

I considered it for a few moments and bagged it. The bad part is that in the process of getting it home the plastic insert in the box was seriously damaged. Insert a bad word here. Well, the gun still looks nice.

New year's resolution is no more gun buying until other financial projects/goals are met. Will be the last one for a while so I'm glad it's a good one.

http://www.fototime.com/F3C94FE9323F0BC/standard.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Last one for now..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
the Black Spot
December 28, 2012, 09:58 AM
Sweet!

ArchAngelCD
December 28, 2012, 10:31 AM
Beautiful revolver BUT, I have a feeling this one won't be the last even for a little while for you. As soon as another great deal comes along I think that will be the "last for now" gun! :p

CajunBass
December 28, 2012, 11:00 AM
Congratulations SP. That's a fine one.

PabloJ
December 28, 2012, 11:36 AM
You can get mop and brush made in PRC and sold under Winchester brand at Walmart. With Al shafts those will look like originals. Oh, I'm sure he can say no to any revolvers found in future time. I bought just one and selling it to me was a MAJOR accomplishment. I have no problems saying no.

22-rimfire
December 28, 2012, 11:40 AM
Looks like the one I used to own. Nice. Be thankful you can spend the $650 on a whim.

slick6
December 28, 2012, 12:44 PM
Wow! That 29-2 is beautiful! Congratulations!:what:

bannockburn
December 28, 2012, 01:17 PM
SaxonPig

Extraordinarily Sweet!

788Ham
December 28, 2012, 01:41 PM
Saxon, you did it again! Beautiful weapon sir, box is another nice feature. I know your feelings about being the "last one' for awhile.... until that one shows up! A couple weeks ago I found a 95% model 15-4 4" at a GS, now residing in the safe until weather warms up. Have gotten 4 revolvers in the last 6 months, I "know" this will be my last for a long while. Enjoy!

Ky Larry
December 28, 2012, 03:58 PM
I'm pretty well stocked for gun right now and am not looking to buy anything in the immediate future. However, if a Browning HiPower, Colt Gold Cup, S&W Model 58, or a Snake crosses my path,......

BigJimP
December 28, 2012, 04:14 PM
Nice gun ...and a fair price for both of you in my opinon.

Congratulations.

huntershooter
December 28, 2012, 05:12 PM
Nice catch.

bikemutt
December 28, 2012, 09:59 PM
You made the right move. I recall a 29-2 I found in similar condition with box, papers tools etc, it was $50 more than yours. I spent a couple hours handling the gun and finally walked out without it. I couldn't sleep much that night and arrived the next day shortly after the store opened. It was sold.

I still think about that one from time to time.

Knowing you did the deal will now allow me to cleanse my soul of my slip up, thanks SaxonPig, I owe you man :)

BYJO4
December 28, 2012, 11:57 PM
Great buy on your model 29. Those plastic inserts were cheaply made and would crack/split easily. I never kept my guns in them.

Bush Pilot
December 29, 2012, 01:01 AM
Beautiful revolver BUT, I have a feeling this one won't be the last even for a little while for you. As soon as another great deal comes along I think that will be the "last for now" gun!

How true, how true

Lucky Derby
December 29, 2012, 03:34 AM
SWEET! Congrats.

Jim Watson
December 29, 2012, 12:44 PM
There is somebody identified on the S&W board as redoing case interiors.
Probably more substantial than the original flocked plastic and better looking.
You could search or ask there.
But you don't shoot the box.

mic214
December 29, 2012, 01:55 PM
That is a beauty!

460Kodiak
December 29, 2012, 02:03 PM
beautiful

If you enjoyed reading about "Last one for now..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!