Suspenders as aid to gun belt in CCW?

PDA

Kansan
December 28, 2012, 01:45 PM
When I'm not deployed, I usually conceal carry a XD45C and I have both OWB and IWB holsters. I wear a good leather gun belt (from the beltman) that holds my handgun very well. However, the weight of the gun keep dragging my pants down...

I just read on another thread someone's advice that wearing suspenders in addition to a gun belt helps. Does anyone wear both and does it help make it more comfortable & prevent you from having to keep hitching up your pants or tightening your belt to the point of your belly touching your backbone? If so, any suspender recommendations? (made for gun carry suspenders, for example?)

If you enjoyed reading about "Suspenders as aid to gun belt in CCW?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rail Driver
December 28, 2012, 01:49 PM
I've never tried suspenders, though I wouldn't be against it. I generally just crank the belt another notch if my pants start to droop. I carry a full size 1911 and I'm a skinny dude - Never really gets to be enough of a problem to make me spend the money on suspenders.

rcmodel
December 28, 2012, 01:55 PM
You betcha!!

I started wearing them with tool belts a long time ago for the same reason.

Then as I got older, and my butt got smaller, I started wearing them just to hold my pants up while working, squatting, bending over, etc.

They for sure help support a gun belt too.

The ones I recommend are called Dickie's brand Perry Suspenders and are available at Walmart, Pennys, etc.

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/men/shops/action-sports-shop-/dickies-perry-suspenders/prod.jump?ppId=1db91fe

http://workingperson.com/workwear-1/suspenders/perry-suspenders-black-y-back-suspenders-sn200-r-blk-63428.html

They hook on the belt instead of using typical pinch-on pants clips that always pull free at inopportune moments.
And slap you in the face with the little Jaws-Toothed clips!

They are fully adjustable to offer any degree of additional weight support you need.

It's a relatively cheap way for you to try it anyway.

The nylon hooks may not fit over double thickness gun belts, but even hooked to a pants belt under the gun belt will make a huge difference in your pants falling down all the time.

rc

PabloJ
December 28, 2012, 02:08 PM
+1. I have black pair and tan pair both obtained at local Walmart in clothing dept next to belts.

Old Fuff
December 28, 2012, 03:29 PM
This is nothing new. During the 19th century it was a common practice to hook suspenders to a gunbelt that had filled cartridge loops.

There were also suspender holsters that were attached to regular suspenders on the front/left side for a right-handed person that held a small or medium sized revolver that was then concealed by a vest or coat.

Saddlebag Preacher
December 28, 2012, 03:36 PM
I like the thicker camo suspenders in walmart's sporting goods section. If I dress up, I use fancier ones.

I reenact in a Western troupe and we all wear them for period costumes. You get used to them, just like long underwear.

Devonai
December 28, 2012, 03:42 PM
I hurt my hip when I was in the Army. Later I got a job doing armed security on a military base. Suspenders were the only thing that allowed me to wear all of my equipment without being in unbearable pain after a couple of hours. I had to argue to get permission to wear them, too, since they weren't initially authorized.

These days, I don't have to wear an M9, spare mag, radio, cuffs, OC spray, and an Asp. However, just my Beretta 92FS and a spare mag are too hard on my hip for all day carry, so I choose something lighter. If I had no choice I would definitely wear suspenders again. The only downside is that they reduce ventilation in hot weather.

Jim Watson
December 28, 2012, 05:15 PM
Darned right.
I am a belt and suspenders guy.
The Perry brand that hooks to the belt is convenient.
Note, the Dickies branded version is narrower than what you get from Perry.
I got a set of Dickies when in a hurry, but added some real Perrys asap.

I also have some Buzz Not non-metallic suspenders for use when I am not wearing a belt (pocket pistol days.)
Their plastic clamps hold better than department store metal clips and do not slip off.
They are a bit prone to snag the clasp and become disengaged that way, though.

I want to try some No Buzz synthetics with a less exposed clamp lever.
http://www.suspenders.com/nobuzz.htm

The Holdup suspenders with the fang that actually pierces the pants' waistband and sockets into the back of the clip looks interesting, too.
http://www.suspenders.com/home.htm

4v50 Gary
December 28, 2012, 05:47 PM
I always thought that for police, who by nature of patrol work open carry, could be equipped with a bullet proof vest that included a gunbelt as part of its design. This would transfer the weight from the hips and onto the shoulders.

rayban
December 28, 2012, 05:51 PM
I found that the plastic clips on Perrys didn't like the thickness of my belts so I did this mod to a pair, and they work out pretty nicely.
I guess you can crank on that belt til you can't breathe, but suspenders is the better way, IMO.

dprice3844444
December 28, 2012, 06:55 PM
try sears tool section,they make a real heavy duty pair for 10 bucks.also,go to amazon.com type in police suspenders.

Gordon
December 28, 2012, 07:21 PM
Blue Orca for the real deal
http://www.orcacustom.com/harness/harness.html

weblance
December 28, 2012, 07:57 PM
I dont use them with a belt, but instead of a belt. I like pocket carry, and hate to have my pants hanging down. When I decided to conceal, it was a very short time until I decided I needed to do something. Im a very relaxed guy, and dont like tucked in shirts, so I wear my suspenders under my shirt, next to my skin. I can very easily, and comfortably carry a 380 in one pocket, and an NAA Mini Magnum in the other.

rcmodel
December 28, 2012, 08:29 PM
so I did this mod to a pair, and they work out pretty nicely.And very nicely done work rayban!!

I have to remember that one!

rc

Paladin38-40
December 28, 2012, 08:31 PM
Get a pair of Perry's traditional Origional style and Outback style. Each will alter the cant of the holster differently. You can adapt to the specific gun and holster being used at the time. I use the Ruf-N-Tuf in addition to a heavy duty gun belt when packin' N-frame iron.

351 WINCHESTER
December 28, 2012, 09:07 PM
I have been wearing Perry clip on the belt heavy duty suspenders for years. I'd be in trouble for sure without them. With their belt clips they are far superior to any clip on suspenders I have ever tried. They are truly a Godsend for me.

They have excellent customer service too.

rcmodel
December 28, 2012, 09:23 PM
I'd be in trouble for sure without themYou wouldn't really be in trouble.

You'd just be embarrassed like me without them at times! :D

Most younger people, and usually even the cops, overlook old guys like us mooning people by accident.

On purpose is another matter entirely though, so you need to avoid doing that if you can.

rc

jeepnik
December 28, 2012, 10:51 PM
Thank heavens, I was wondering if I was one of the only folks who wore both. Now, I wonder what the average of us belt and suspender fellow is. I'm betting were mostly on the other side of half a century.

HEAVY METAL 1
December 29, 2012, 11:09 AM
Carhart suspenders work well for me.

Kansan
December 29, 2012, 01:02 PM
Wow, I kind of expected someone to make fun of me for asking such an unfashionable question, but you guys have really given me some great information, thanks! It sounds like a lot of you like the Perry suspenders, so maybe I'll start with that.

I'm deployed right now, and was just thinking about it for civilian ccw back in the States, but the responses here have made me start thinking that there's actually no reason I couldn't test it out in uniform... the ACU blouse would cover over the suspenders. I carry my M9 on a Wilderness belt most of the time over here in uniform and have some of the same problem. Although, I will say that it's easier to really cinch tight my wilderness belt to a more exact degree than my leather gun belt.

Rayban, those leather clips look really nice and I think the suspenders would wear out long before the clips do. That's a good idea.

I looked on Amazon and JCPenney and it looks like they make them in black or beige. I bet the beige would blend in with my uniform t-shirt. They also have them in 1 1/2" or 2". From what Jim Watson and Saddlebag Preacher said, it sounds like thicker is better.

Jeepnik - yeah, I can imagine there are not a lot of young people out there wearing both but one thing I've learned in life is that you can't argue with something that works. If you are wearing a gun on your belt along with an extra magazine and maybe a multi-tool, gravity is going to have a say. I'm only in my 30's but I've notice a trend over the years - every year, my dad and grandpa seem to be smarter and smarter. Funny how that works :)

ApacheCoTodd
December 29, 2012, 02:51 PM
Oh yeah - or binders as my wife calls them.

Look here for some great hard wearing options:

http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CarharttSearchCmd?storeId=10051&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&recordPerPage=24&N=0&Nu=RollupKey&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntt=suspenders&Nao=0&Ns=IsOutletSKU%7C0&Nty=1&x=0&y=0

LordDunsany
December 29, 2012, 03:47 PM
I've worn suspenders since I was in my thirties and they are a great aid to comfort and security. I'm a belt-and-suspenders guy; the belt doesn't have to be tight, but gun and other goodies are held securely and I don't feel squeezed in the middle.

I wear the 'spenders over my t-shirt and under my overshirt, which is worn tail-out. If you want to look more tidy, a quality tuckable holster will fulfill your needs.

Since I'm retired and can look a bit scruffy, I typically just use an overshirt. The suspenders are not in view, gun is well covered, stomach is comfortable and everyone is happy.

Ron in Texas

twofifty
December 30, 2012, 01:13 AM
Gotta watch you don't get yourself hung up in the suspenders when you draw. ;)

BemidjiDweller
December 30, 2012, 01:28 AM
I use some extra Mosin slings as suspenders, works great. Only problem is they like to pull my shirt in odd directions when I jump out of the truck.

Mr.510
December 30, 2012, 01:43 AM
I have zero experience with suspenders. I wanted to mention that switching to a gun belt that is infinitely adjustable completely solved all issues with my hardware moving around and/or pants sagging, regardless of physical activity. I use a Wilderness Tactical reinforced Instructor Belt. I sometimes hang my cordless drill in the hammer loop on my Carhartt's and stuff the other pockets with heavy tools. Tightening the belt just slightly (maybe 1/2"?) makes everything stay where it belongs. One of my friends wore a gun belt and suspenders as his body shape just didn't work to hold up a 1911 on a belt alone.

1911 guy
December 30, 2012, 02:39 AM
Wilderness belt and Perry suspenders here. I can get by just fine without them, but they do make it far more comfortable past the eight or nine hour mark.

MADDOG
December 30, 2012, 07:56 AM
Filson also makes some fine suspenders.

Deer_Freak
December 30, 2012, 08:20 AM
Get some suspenders and stomp out crack. If you wear your holster on the hip suspenders work just fine. I wear a wife beater Tshirt under regular shirt. No one notices I have suspenders on. Tractor supply has the best quality suspenders. The Walmart suspenders have no leather support on the X on the back. No leather makes it hard to get the twists out.

scaatylobo
December 30, 2012, 10:25 AM
Thank you to whoever posted the JCPENNYS version as that is a solution to a possible problem that I see now that I too joined the belt & suspender crowd.

I see the point and the COMFORT of wearing both and say that to those that do not see this point = your missing out on a very comfortable solution to a problem that DOES exist.

Now that the belly has become a concern [ hope to reduce it AGAIN ] I see the suspenders to be a real way to CCW with a real pistol and not notice the weight or have to tighten the belt and then feel that pain after a day in the heat and having 'those' marks on the stomach after undressing.

I too go the shirt out route and have for a few decades,that or a light vest in the summer.

The "flowered shirt" that is popular is a great way to be unnoticed as just another old guy with bad taste.And the design breaks up all possibility of 'printing'.

Kansan
December 30, 2012, 01:31 PM
Thought I'd mention that I ordered a pair of the Perry's (2" black) today. I may post back to report on how they work if this thread isn't buried too far in the archives by then.

I'm about 5' 11", 175 lbs, so kind of average sized, by the way. I can make my belt stay up if I cinch it tight enough, it just feels like it's cutting into my hips after a few hours. Thanks again for all the feedback, I think this technique will help quite a bit.

jim243
December 30, 2012, 03:09 PM
Does anyone wear both and does it help make it more comfortable & prevent you from having to keep hitching up your pants

Yes it does, I use them all the time even without a gun on the belt.

Jim

25cschaefer
December 30, 2012, 03:11 PM
It is an old saying in Montana; "Beware the man with suspenders and a belt."

I have been contemplating getting some but I don't know if I'm old enough.

TyGuy
December 30, 2012, 03:24 PM
Farm and fleet and walmart sell suspenders that support a belt without alligator clips.

ferretray
January 1, 2013, 10:51 PM
I've got some back 'Issues" and the Perry suspenders have been a great addition to my carry rig. The clips attach fine to a Beltman gunbelt.
I normally wear the Perrys over a t-shirt, under an untucked cover garment.
I get mine directly from Perry.
Never had a problem with the suspenders "Getting in the way of the draw". The straps are not in the path of the drawstroke.

C0untZer0
January 2, 2013, 12:40 AM
How can you trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders, man can't even trust his own pants.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuWzeoIr7J4

Paladin38-40
January 2, 2013, 06:50 AM
I've got some back 'Issues" and the Perry suspenders have been a great addition to my carry rig. The clips attach fine to a Beltman gunbelt.
I normally wear the Perrys over a t-shirt, under an untucked cover garment.
I get mine directly from Perry.
Never had a problem with the suspenders "Getting in the way of the draw". The straps are not in the path of the drawstroke.
The traditional Origional Perrys style present no problem on the draw; the Outback style can. Double check positioning if using Outback's to be sure the elastic is under, not over, the butt.

Elkins45
January 2, 2013, 10:43 AM
+1 on the Perry suspenders plus a belt. I wear them under a t-shirt against bare skin in the summer. I have found they perform better if I adjust the sliders to the height I want and then tack stitch them so they can't lower themselves as I'm wearing them.

One of the smartest things I ever did was get my Grandmother to teach me how to use her sewing machine. She just taught me the very basics, but I've been able to make all sorts of outdoor stuff. I've actually taken nylon webbing and sewn loops on both ends to make some non-adjustable suspenders for my hunting pants. I wouldn't recommend those against bare skin, however. :(

txnative1951
January 2, 2013, 10:59 AM
Now, if we could just get these punkass kids of today to realize that they need to wear suspenders. More than once, I have directed them to the suspender department when I was in Wal-Mart and their ghetto imitating butts were hanging out and advertising their desire for some backdoor lovin'.......

January 2, 2013, 12:51 PM
Great thread!! I've been thinking about ordering some suspenders for a while. I have a quality Galco gun belt but am looking for a more comfortable way to carry heavy pistols and revolvers so I ordered a pair of Rugged Comfort from Western Suspenders. I chose the belt style. If I'm pleased with the results I'll order some that can we worn under a t-shirt for summer wear.

http://www.suspenderstore.com/ruggedcomfort.html

January 5, 2013, 03:09 PM
I took my dogs walking last night wearing Rugged Comfort suspenders for the first time. I had a SIG P225 on a Galco belt at 4 o'clock, two 8-round magazines on my belt at 9 o'clock, an Insight Typhoon flashlight in a pocket and a Spiderco knife clipped into another pocket and I've never felt so comfortable carrying so much. I'm going to use this system for USPSA too since it's so easy to carry all that weight (six to seven magazines) and even run with all that weight on a belt without pulling my pants down. Next up is to choose a pair to wear under a t-shirt when using CrossBreed's SuperTuck Deluxe IWB holster.

AABEN
January 5, 2013, 04:25 PM
I have used Parry for years and they have never give up on me. 100% PARRY GOOD TO GO.

zeke
January 5, 2013, 05:49 PM
Am currently wearing suspenders that clip to belt, hybird holster type and spare mag. The hybird holster really good at distributing the weight. An untucked overshirt to cover. Really tough to hold up small 45 without the suspenders, even with heavy cinched down belt. Course ya gotta adjust a little for everday activities. Duluth trading company sells suspenders designed to be worn under lighter shirts for the summer.

And it be a lot easier to put holster and suspenders on pants, before the pants go on.

TJTay89
January 6, 2013, 01:45 PM
I have a pair of Perry's that I use when I am not wearing a belt and a pair of Leather Galluses that I use if I don't need/want to wear a belt as they secure around the belt loop of pants and insure that you don't get hit by the dang clips that some suspenders use. Either one is a good choice.

I also don't like all this talk about only old people wearing suspenders. I am 23 and have been wearing the Perry's since I was 18. Just because I am young doesn't mean people should be forced to see my crack when I bend over!

Deltaboy
January 6, 2013, 03:20 PM
I will have to give it a try I have worn them with suits and on my carpenter's bag but never thought about it for CCW.

SouthernYankee
January 8, 2013, 11:21 AM
This is very interesting. Shows how little I know and how much there is to learn. Great thread, thanks.

Recon Ron
January 8, 2013, 11:33 AM
If you wear your pants where they are supposed to be aka above the hip bone, a good gun belt (I use blackhawk riggers) will keep it in place.

rayban
January 8, 2013, 12:12 PM
"If you wear your pants where they are supposed to be aka above the hip bone, a good gun belt (I use blackhawk riggers) will keep it in place."

We're not all built the same, some have to make allowances for those differences.

rcmodel
January 8, 2013, 12:36 PM
I used to built the same.

But that was before I got old.

You may have the same problem when you get nearer to 70.

rc

Elkins45
January 8, 2013, 02:23 PM
The traditional Origional Perrys style present no problem on the draw; the Outback style can. Double check positioning if using Outback's to be sure the elastic is under, not over, the butt.
I really wanted to like the Outback style but I have discovered (for me, anyway) that they will eventually find their way over the top of your gun butt. I won't wear them if I'm carrying IWB.

Gordon
January 8, 2013, 03:17 PM
+1 on what RC said above!

Twiki357
January 19, 2013, 02:10 AM
+2 on what RC said above!

All are good comments, but one thing was over looked. :eek: They are a pain in the azz when you have to do a poo poo. :fire: Especially in a public facility with cover garments. :mad:

ferretray
January 19, 2013, 07:16 AM
Just unhook the clips, do your business and hook em' back to the belt.

Deltaboy
January 19, 2013, 10:08 AM
I just slip them off my shoulders.

BigRugerLover
January 19, 2013, 12:34 PM
I've used the Perry suspenders for years and HIGHLY RECOMMEND them. They are the only thing that prevents the embarrassment of my IWB holster from becoming an ankle holster.

The thin material lets me wear them under a sweater. I have the "executive black," which looks nearly new after three years of wear.

Deltaboy
January 19, 2013, 01:25 PM
I got a 2 pair today for 8 bucks each.
I can tell the difference already.

Jaymo
January 19, 2013, 05:51 PM
Suspenders are great for those of us with lower back problems. Of course, I wore suspenders in the 80s, in my teens, before I ever had back problems.
I'm probably going to get some Perry suspenders to wear at work, and with a gun belt.

Kansan
January 20, 2013, 10:30 AM
Ok, suspender report... as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I ordered a pair of black Perry suspenders from workingperson.com (thanks RCModel) and received them shortly thereafter. I'm a deployed soldier in Afghanistan who wears a Beretta M9 on my belt everyday. The suspenders have worked great with the uniform. I wear them under the multicam blouse so I'm still "within regs" and it makes a huge difference.

It's not just the M9 on my belt but also the stuff in my cargo pockets which want to help out gravity & which makes the constant belt-cinching annoying. With the suspenders, the pants staying up and comfortable problem is completely gone.

I wear the Wilderness Instructor belt, by the way. I should have started wearing suspenders a long time ago. Now, I'll have to find a way of incorporating it into my civilian attire back home for CCW in a way that doesn't embarrass the wife :)

rcmodel
January 20, 2013, 11:58 AM
Outstanding!!

Glad to hear they are working well for you!

rc

mike.
January 22, 2013, 09:03 PM
Got mine.Now if the Sportsman's guide(these people dont have a clue) would ship me my gun belt i could try it out:cuss:

needbullets
January 24, 2013, 01:56 PM
:) i love suspenders my wife always teases me but they work great. I own a 40 mm Mission Belt and it works great with my sig 228.

Ashcons
January 24, 2013, 05:12 PM
Good to hear some positive reviews about the Mission belts used as gun belts. I needed to replace my old belts and ordered a Mission belt in black and one in brown. They're the 35mm and I am hoping they'll be heavy-duty enough. I'll have to look into some suspenders too, now. I did send them an e-mail asking where their belts are made and they gave me a vague answer about the components being made in "other countries," and assembled in the US, but they replied to my e-mail in about 3 minutes.

316SS
January 25, 2013, 06:05 PM
The nylon hooks may not fit over double thickness gun belts, but even hooked to a pants belt under the gun belt will make a huge difference in your pants falling down all the time.

Suspenders and two belts? I am in awe of you, you magnificent bastard! :D

ScottieG59
January 27, 2013, 02:04 PM
My years in the Army left the discs in my back like a train wreck. Surgery helped some, but belts often either cause pain, make me lose the feeling in my legs, make it feel like my feet are burning, make it feel like bugs are crawling up and down my legs or a combination of these.

When I wore my cellphone on my belt, I could not tell if it was on vibrate or my back was in a spasm. I had to touch the phone with my hand to tell.

I was in a mild earth quake and thought it was my back spasms, but my wife in the other room felt it.

Anyway, something to remove external pressure on my messed up spine may help.

I have not tried suspenders, but I will now.

jon_in_wv
January 27, 2013, 02:52 PM
For IWB try gluing a layer of suede to the side of the holster against your body. It give the holster some traction against your body so the belt and your pants aren't holding 100% of the weight. of you could try a crossbreed style holster. The larger surface area also helps support the weight of the weapon.

If you enjoyed reading about "Suspenders as aid to gun belt in CCW?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!