Canik Pistols: Who owns one?

PDA

meanmrmustard
December 28, 2012, 03:43 PM
I, just today, purchased a Canik Stingray Compact in chrome and 9x19. I've read good things, watched videos, and it was priced right at J&G Sales. I'm a CZ fanatic, so seeing the features of this clone were impossible to pass up.

Anybody else have one? I'd love to think that you venerable gurus have at least one! I know I'm about to!

Pictures of your Turkish beauty if you please.

If you enjoyed reading about "Canik Pistols: Who owns one?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kiln
December 28, 2012, 07:23 PM
I don't have one yet but the Canik C100 is going to be my next handgun. The reviews are all very positive and the guns seem great.

meanmrmustard
December 28, 2012, 08:14 PM
I don't have one yet but the Canik C100 is going to be my next handgun. The reviews are all very positive and the guns seem great.
I've read the article in Combat Handguns about the model that interests you. It got sterling remarks.

jmace57
December 28, 2012, 09:47 PM
Have you seen that cool youtube video of the stingray in fully automatic?

meanmrmustard
December 28, 2012, 10:27 PM
Have you seen that cool youtube video of the stingray in fully automatic?
Link please?

bdb benzino
December 28, 2012, 11:22 PM
I have been interested in Canik 55 handguns after reading about them a couple years ago. I have always loved CZ patterned pistols and have owned a few Tanfoglio's. Last year I read about the C-100 and really wanted one because of the light weight and the cocked and locked capability, it didn't hurt that every review of them was great.
Just about a month ago right before Thanksgiving, I walked into my favorite gun shop/gun smith and spotted one in the case. I asked the owner to hold it for me, and he did while he also told me that he bought one for himself and was blown away by the quality/reliability and affordability.
I picked mine up last week, its the C-100 9mm in stainless and chrome finish. I have to say I am impressed! The fit and finish are top notch, even new the slide is uber smooth in action while having no rattle or play at all when shook. I only have ran 100 rounds through it so far, but it was accurate and functioned 100%. Its amazingly light for a pistol that holds 15+1, and carries great. The only thing that is not great is the stiffness of the safety, but that is to be expected from a new pistol.
All in all, I love mine and will be looking for more Canik 55 products!

meanmrmustard
December 28, 2012, 11:25 PM
I have been interested in Canik 55 handguns after reading about them a couple years ago. I have always loved CZ patterned pistols and have owned a few Tanfoglio's. Last year I read about the C-100 and really wanted one because of the light weight and the cocked and locked capability, it didn't hurt that every review of them was great.
Just about a month ago right before Thanksgiving, I walked into my favorite gun shop/gun smith and spotted one in the case. I asked the owner to hold it for me, and he did while he also told me that he bought one for himself and was blown away by the quality/reliability and affordability.
I picked mine up last week, its the C-100 9mm in stainless and chrome finish. I have to say I am impressed! The fit and finish are top notch, even new the slide is uber smooth in action while having no rattle or play at all when shook. I only have ran 100 rounds through it so far, but it was accurate and functioned 100%. Its amazingly light for a pistol that holds 15+1, and carries great. The only thing that is not great is the stiffness of the safety, but that is to be expected from a new pistol.
All in all, I love mine and will be looking for more Canik 55 products!
Thank you for this write up. I'm glad you like you gun. I can't wait to get mine. I own CZs, yet I'm this stoked to get a dad gum clone!

Okiegunner
December 28, 2012, 11:55 PM
Meanmr,

As you know, I just purchased the Canik 55 TP 9. The Turks are making some really fine, damn good, handguns these days, at some really unbelievable prices for the quality offered.

I currently own a MKEK Girsan Yavuz 16 (yeah, a mouthful, I know). It is a Turk made Beretta "type" 92f. 100% parts interchangable and Mec-Gar mag. It is my absolute favorite pistol to shoot.

meanmrmustard
December 29, 2012, 11:10 AM
Meanmr,

As you know, I just purchased the Canik 55 TP 9. The Turks are making some really fine, damn good, handguns these days, at some really unbelievable prices for the quality offered.

I currently own a MKEK Girsan Yavuz 16 (yeah, a mouthful, I know). It is a Turk made Beretta "type" 92f. 100% parts interchangable and Mec-Gar mag. It is my absolute favorite pistol to shoot.
Sweet deal.

After transfer, which sadly won't be for weeks due to shipping being swamped, the Stingray-C will be $418. Thats a good gun at a low price for the features, and its new!!!

How are you liking the TP-9? What's up with decocker?

snooperman
December 29, 2012, 11:52 AM
Okiegunner, How easy is the slide "to rack" on your Canik 55 TP9 ? poundage? Thanks, Snoop

Okiegunner
December 29, 2012, 12:45 PM
Hey guys...

Hope I did not mislead anyone. I won't be able to pick up this pistol till Monday from my ffl. Everytime I have a new firearm coming in, I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve.

I'll give you guys a full report when it comes in. (all right, I'm just gloating now...I also have a SGL21 comong from KVAR)

Spad2008
December 29, 2012, 02:09 PM
I have two,both for carry. C100, one satin silver and other black. I think they are one of the best buys on the market. Bill

meanmrmustard
December 29, 2012, 02:16 PM
Hey guys...

Hope I did not mislead anyone. I won't be able to pick up this pistol till Monday from my ffl. Everytime I have a new firearm coming in, I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve.

I'll give you guys a full report when it comes in. (all right, I'm just gloating now...I also have a SGL21 comong from KVAR)
Please do. Everything I've seen is positive other than weight, but I like a heavy, controllable weapon.

It's yours, but its not; I know that feeling.

Kiln
December 29, 2012, 05:34 PM
Thank you for this write up. I'm glad you like you gun. I can't wait to get mine. I own CZs, yet I'm this stoked to get a dad gum clone!
My love for the CZ75B I already own is what prompted me to buy the Canik C100. My CZ75 has been one of the best guns I've ever had and holds its own when shot next to my XDM's, IMO accuracy is often better from the CZ75.

I can't wait to get my hands on the C100 but unfortunately I may have to wait until tax returns come in and at that time an AWB may have passed and nerfed the magazine capacity.

tekarra
December 29, 2012, 06:42 PM
Here are a few photos of a Canik C100 and a cZ75 Compact. Notice the differences between the two.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa59/tekarra_photo/P8180019.jpg
C100 on the right.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa59/tekarra_photo/P8180004.jpg
C100 on the right.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa59/tekarra_photo/P8180011.jpg
C100 on the left.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa59/tekarra_photo/P8180006.jpg
C100 on the right.

meanmrmustard
December 29, 2012, 06:50 PM
My love for the CZ75B I already own is what prompted me to buy the Canik C100. My CZ75 has been one of the best guns I've ever had and holds its own when shot next to my XDM's, IMO accuracy is often better from the CZ75.

I can't wait to get my hands on the C100 but unfortunately I may have to wait until tax returns come in and at that time an AWB may have passed and nerfed the magazine capacity.
You'll be fine, and I have faith that you'll get your Canik. Even if the whole nation cried for reform, the government has never been quick at anything but spending tax payers money.

You'll get that C100.

meanmrmustard
December 29, 2012, 06:52 PM
Here are a few photos of a Canik C100 and a cZ75 Compact. Notice the differences between the two.

C100 on the right.

C100 on the right.

C100 on the left.

C100 on the right.Those two are eerily similar, in a good way.
Just the man I wanted to speak to:

I hear tell Mec Gar CZ mags will fit. Any truth to this?

What aftermarket grips will work? VZs?

Kiln
December 30, 2012, 04:41 AM
Well I bought the Canik C100 today. Took it home and it was packed full of complementary grease just like the Taurus PLY22 I bought a couple weeks back.

I got it for $330 out the door, there was a sale going on and I lucked out and got it about $50 cheaper than they usually sell for.

The DA trigger is kinda gritty and heavy but the SA is great, probably around 3-4 pounds. The frame to slide fit is also amazingly tight just like CZ's and the machining is done well too.

It is too soon to speak for the durability of the finish but as of right now it looks like a decent finish and honestly looks better up close than my satin nickel CZ75B does.

I field stripped it and the grip is insanely light, feels like polymer. If it shoots half as good as it looks and feels I'm going to be a happy guy.

I can't wait to take it out, if it performs as well as people say then it may be a must buy for the guys (like me) who like CZ's.

meanmrmustard
December 30, 2012, 09:16 AM
Well I bought the Canik C100 today. Took it home and it was packed full of complementary grease just like the Taurus PLY22 I bought a couple weeks back.

I got it for $330 out the door, there was a sale going on and I lucked out and got it about $50 cheaper than they usually sell for.

The DA trigger is kinda gritty and heavy but the SA is great, probably around 3-4 pounds. The frame to slide fit is also amazingly tight just like CZ's and the machining is done well too.

It is too soon to speak for the durability of the finish but as of right now it looks like a decent finish and honestly looks better up close than my satin nickel CZ75B does.

I field stripped it and the grip is insanely light, feels like polymer. If it shoots half as good as it looks and feels I'm going to be a happy guy.

I can't wait to take it out, if it performs as well as people say then it may be a must buy for the guys (like me) who like CZ's.
Pictures!!!

Kiln
December 30, 2012, 10:49 AM
Pictures!!!
I will get around to it later on, very tired. It is identical to the one above in the CZ vs Canik C100 comparison picture.

meanmrmustard
December 30, 2012, 12:43 PM
I will get around to it later on, very tired. It is identical to the one above in the CZ vs Canik C100 comparison picture.
Ok.

I was going to get the black Stingray Compact, but they had the Chrome in stock. I couldn't help it.

ifit
December 30, 2012, 04:51 PM
had the stingray c for a while but had to sell....actually got a good deal w/trade. but for the money honestly for the chrome sting ray c...you get allot of gun for the money. hefty for a compact model,bullet indicator ambi slide release and safety,rear adjustable sights,nice plastic case...not like cz cheap plastic ones, night sights, grips on the slick side which will feel better w/after market ones, grip just a tad bit short for me on the bottom...maybe a mag w/extended finger rest of some sort. trigger is ok..not the best, but i think could be better.

Kiln
December 30, 2012, 06:19 PM
Ok.

I was going to get the black Stingray Compact, but they had the Chrome in stock. I couldn't help it.
So you bought one eh? If they're all alike in tolerances and finish I'm sure it is great.

rondog
December 30, 2012, 06:24 PM
Huh, I've never heard of this brand before! Made in Turkey?

meanmrmustard
December 30, 2012, 07:00 PM
So you bought one eh? If they're all alike in tolerances and finish I'm sure it is great.
Sure did, buddy! The picture above your post shows my purchase. I am, however, at the mercy of FFLs, shipping, and the waiting game.

Kiln
December 30, 2012, 07:05 PM
They're nice guns. Hope you get yours in soon. I can't believe that I, like rondog and probably several others, had never heard of these things until pretty recently.

Anybody know if they've just recently started importing these things in the last year or so or have I just been living in a cave?

meanmrmustard
December 30, 2012, 07:56 PM
They're nice guns. Hope you get yours in soon. I can't believe that I, like rondog and probably several others, had never heard of these things until pretty recently.

Anybody know if they've just recently started importing these things in the last year or so or have I just been living in a cave?
Not just you: I came across them on accident. I talked myself out of the P07 Duty for the Stingray. I'm looking to be impressed, and folks are telling me I will be.

tekarra
December 31, 2012, 02:51 PM
The magazines that came with the C100 are stamped "Mec-Gar Made in Italy". At the range I freely swapped magazines between the C100 and the cZ Compact and did not experience a problem. Also had a couple a couple of spare Mec-Gars that I used in both pistols as well, and again no problems.

The C100 is lighter than the cZ, but I felt no difference in shooting between the two. However, the C100 feels much better after carrying all day.

Although I am a dyed in the wool cZ shooter, my next pistol may well be a Canik L120.

meanmrmustard
December 31, 2012, 06:05 PM
The magazines that came with the C100 are stamped "Mec-Gar Made in Italy". At the range I freely swapped magazines between the C100 and the cZ Compact and did not experience a problem. Also had a couple a couple of spare Mec-Gars that I used in both pistols as well, and again no problems.

The C100 is lighter than the cZ, but I felt no difference in shooting between the two. However, the C100 feels much better after carrying all day.

Although I am a dyed in the wool cZ shooter, my next pistol may well be a Canik L120.
I read your posts on the cz forum. You're very informative and thank you for the reply.

My Stingray C is held, and ready to ship as soon as the FFL info is entered. I too am a CZ guy, but I had to by the P01 clone!

tekarra
December 31, 2012, 07:16 PM
Thank you for the compliment. I look forward to reading your range report on the Stingray.

meanmrmustard
December 31, 2012, 07:42 PM
Thank you for the compliment. I look forward to reading your range report on the Stingray.
It will be a few weeks, but I'm going to start it out with Winny 9mm NATO. I'll do a write up and post all info.

MaterDei
January 1, 2013, 03:31 AM
I picked one up at Academy yesterday for $299. I took it to the range today and concur with the other comments; great gun for the price. The fit and finish are very good and the tooling looks good as well.

I fired 50 rounds of Blazer Brass today with no issues.

The gun came with 2 15 round mec-gar mags and the version I have is imported by Tristar and the dolphin on the grip has been replaced with a 'T'.

meanmrmustard
January 1, 2013, 06:23 PM
Very cool. You need to take pictures.

How was the accuracy through that model?

Kiln
January 2, 2013, 03:04 AM
I picked one up at Academy yesterday for $299. I took it to the range today and concur with the other comments; great gun for the price. The fit and finish are very good and the tooling looks good as well.

I fired 50 rounds of Blazer Brass today with no issues.

The gun came with 2 15 round mec-gar mags and the version I have is imported by Tristar and the dolphin on the grip has been replaced with a 'T'.
Yeah I got mine from Academy as well for the same price. I still, unfortunately, have dolphins on the grips.

I'll get a slip over rubber grip and forget about the dolphins. The C100 is great.

Dryft
January 2, 2013, 08:07 PM
Okay, you southern folks have it made, apparently, with Academy! I would pay $299 without blinking for one of these, but they, unfortunately, don't ship.

Seems like this is an excellent piece, and worth looking at (with/instead of) the CZs!

Jealous fellas. Very jealous.

MaterDei
January 3, 2013, 02:25 AM
Very cool. You need to take pictures.

OK :)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/materdei/2013-01-02235015_zps04fd7981.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/materdei/2013-01-02235435_zps3c88006a.jpg

Not great but better than the fish, I suppose.

Kiln
January 3, 2013, 04:40 AM
Shoots almost as good as my full size CZ75B! I am a new Canik fan...CZ pistols are great but the Canik is much cheaper and gives very similar results. I know I've been going on about them since I entered this thread it is just that I'm very impressed with a gun that costs $350 new with a great trigger and impressive accuracy.

I may be looking for somebody who sells the Canik S120 soon. I was kind of figuring that it'd be a gamble with a no name brand but come to find out the makers of this gun have a pretty good reputation for making decent guns. The only thing I wish is that their warranty was longer than 1 year.

meanmrmustard
January 3, 2013, 07:48 PM
My Stingray C ships tonight or tomorrow at latest, as the seller prefers getting handguns out ASAP.

Okiegunner
January 4, 2013, 03:49 PM
Meanmrmustard,

Did your Canik come in today? If so, what is your opinion?

tekarra
January 4, 2013, 06:07 PM
Had my C100 at the range today and as I was packing up, the fellow on the next lane came over and asked if it was a cZ. I told him no, it was a C100. He then said he handled many of them where he worked, but had never shot one. Turns out he works at the Academy where I purchased mine. Asked him if he had any 9 mm ammo, he did, so I let him shoot the C100. Said he owns several cZs and is now thinking of the C100 for concealed carry.

meanmrmustard
January 4, 2013, 07:21 PM
Meanmrmustard,

Did your Canik come in today? If so, what is your opinion?
Nope, just shipping as we speak (as in literally on its way to the plane). I'm guessing Tuesday delivery. Got my 9mm NATO today, but I'm saving it for the Stingray.

meanmrmustard
January 4, 2013, 07:22 PM
Had my C100 at the range today and as I was packing up, the fellow on the next lane came over and asked if it was a cZ. I told him no, it was a C100. He then said he handled many of them where he worked, but had never shot one. Turns out he works at the Academy where I purchased mine. Asked him if he had any 9 mm ammo, he did, so I let him shoot the C100. Said he owns several cZs and is now thinking of the C100 for concealed carry.
I'm hearing this a lot.

Dryft
January 4, 2013, 09:12 PM
Does anyone, perchance, know where they're selling these in Maine? Can't find one anywhere.

Help!

meanmrmustard
January 4, 2013, 09:28 PM
Does anyone, perchance, know where they're selling these in Maine? Can't find one anywhere.

Help!
Any Canik, or a model in particular?

I'm awaiting mine from J&G Sales in AZ.

Dryft
January 4, 2013, 09:33 PM
Sorry folks - looking for the C100.

Would love to put my grubby little paws on one before purchasing, but if not, well...

I think I can handle it!

meanmrmustard
January 4, 2013, 09:37 PM
I don't know of dealers in Maine, but J&G ships there.

Thor88
January 17, 2013, 03:53 PM
I just picked up a silver Tristar C100 last month.
I cannot over state how impressed I have been with this gun.
I have not had one malfunction! I do not think I have ever owned a pistol that has been this reliable.
I can confirm that it will accept CZ75 mags as I ordered and have been using two 16rders. Mine came with two 15rd mags.

I cannot recommend these pistols enough, and I plan to pick up an all black this weekend for a carry piece.

Kiln
January 17, 2013, 04:08 PM
Wow, looks like lots of happy Canik owners now.

Mine has been 100% reliable also.

Wilbert
January 17, 2013, 04:21 PM

C100 on the right.

C100 on the right.

C100 on the left.

C100 on the right.
I'm trying!

Well done. That is one sexy pistol

dcarch
January 18, 2013, 11:55 AM
Mrmeanmustard, any update on the Canik?

rromeo
February 17, 2013, 11:53 AM
My wife has recently taken up handgun shooting, and fell in love with the Jericho. In shopping for one, we found a Tristar T100, which is quite similar. $399. I'm tempted at that price, and I hear good things about the quality of Turkish firearms.

Kiln
February 18, 2013, 05:53 PM
I can't speak for the OP but my C100 has been great, granted I haven't gotten to fire it much due to the ammo drought.

meanmrmustard
February 18, 2013, 06:17 PM
Sorry, I haven't shot it a whole lot.

Kidding, just haven't kept up. Apologies.

My tally as of last week is 600 rounds: 250 factory loads ranging from Federal to S&B to Winchester. The other 350 are reloads: 115 gr FMJ in front of 4.8 gr Hodgdons HP38.

It, along with my new Shield, ate them just fine.

Total malfunctions as of 600th shot: 0

Kiln
February 18, 2013, 09:43 PM
Sorry, I haven't shot it a whole lot.

Kidding, just haven't kept up. Apologies.

My tally as of last week is 600 rounds: 250 factory loads ranging from Federal to S&B to Winchester. The other 350 are reloads: 115 gr FMJ in front of 4.8 gr Hodgdons HP38.

It, along with my new Shield, ate them just fine.

Total malfunctions as of 600th shot: 0
Yeah I've probably got about half of that. I can't find any 9mm around here!

meanmrmustard
February 18, 2013, 09:55 PM
Yeah I've probably got about half of that. I can't find any 9mm around here!
I'm running low.

Going to have to chill out and reload my stock, practice less, and dry fire more.

tekarra
February 19, 2013, 09:02 PM
rromeo,
I wager you will be pleased with a Tristar. My C100 is a great performer and trouble free.

meanmrmustard
February 19, 2013, 09:46 PM
My wife has recently taken up handgun shooting, and fell in love with the Jericho. In shopping for one, we found a Tristar T100, which is quite similar. $399. I'm tempted at that price, and I hear good things about the quality of Turkish firearms.
It's a good buy. One either of you will be pleased with.

TriStar is from MO, or was rather, just an FYI.

Jonah71
April 2, 2013, 12:13 PM
Bought a C 100 about 3 months ago. have only been able to fire about 150 rnds because there's a severe shortage of 9mm around here. I'm not sure I'd say I fire it more accurately that my old CZ 75, but I seem to get it on target quicker. I do have better accuracy with it (from about 15-20 ft. than the CZSP01 Phantom. Plus the Canik55 is lighter than the 75. Have had no problems with the C 100 yet and I did like the price. It is my CCW for now. Good gun imo.

masterblaster702
May 17, 2013, 10:05 PM
Just picked up a Tristar T100 because it seemed to be too good of a deal to pass up. Package comes very nice with a nice hard case that is better than a Springfield XD case but just a tad less nice than a Glock Case to give you an idea. Also comes with two high capacity 15 round mags made by Mec Gar regarding mags I can confirm that CZ75 Mags work very well and are in fact. tighter than the factory mags and fit flush in the gun as opposed to the factory mags sticking out a bit because of the extra round capacity. I field stripped mine quite easily and applied some militec 1 and a tiny bit of grease to the slide. Gun runs like a champ no hiccups in 200 rounds. I stored my T-100 with the slide locked back for about a week before I shot it which is something I do with all of my guns to help speed break in.All in all I have to say for the price I paid which was 369.00 plus tax out the door it is hard to find a nicer pistol. I have never owned a CZ but always wanted one. The Fit and finish is outstanding the gun has what seem to be very tight tolerances and when fully loaded almost no rattle. It is very ergonomic and feels very natural in the hand when handling it. I am able to almost effortlessly acquire a good sight picture during dry fire drills.I believe it is the nicest handgun that I own and I own Glocks,Taurus revolver, Makarov, lcp etc. The fit and finish definitely gives the real CZ a run for it's money and for under 400 it got mine too! These weapons are a great bargain and for anyone on a budget or for collectors the Tristars and Caniks are going to go for way more than they do now very soon. It is just too good. Once folks see these things in action for a few years they will become classics much like it's cousin the CZ75. For me mine is already an instant classic. I do not even like the feel of holding my other guns now. A pistol should be an extension of your body and the Tristar feels like it. If anyone out there knows if the Tristar can accept CZ sights I would appreciate the info and also while we are talking about sights the factory sights are the only negative I have to mention they are standard 3 dot sights but at least on the one I got my dots were painted on a bit sloppily nothing too major and I can't complain on any part of the rest of the gun. I was planning to get custom nights on this one so it is not an issue because the factory sights would have been trashed anyhow. If anyone knows how to do this or has done it please reply. Out of five stars I give them 4.75 because of the epic fail on the sights had the sights shipped pristine on my gun it would get 5 stars hand down. The mechanism of the gun itself is superb and the fact that you can use cz75 mags. Be sure to get the compact ones though. If you like real CZs Berettas or Sigs but dont want to spend the money pick one of these up and hold on to it because I believe they will be worth the same as the big names soon.

jhb
May 18, 2013, 12:28 AM
@masterblaster.....please paragraph breaks......really hard to read a wall of text. Thanks.

On topic id own one if they had ambi safeties. Being a lefty shooter this is always a huge annoyance. When cz put out the 85s and ss 75s with ambi safety I jumped and never looked back. I've been looking at these caniks on buds but the lack of an ambi safety has kept me from jumping on one. The curse of shooting lefty, I guess.......

tekarra
May 18, 2013, 07:17 PM
Welc0me aboard masterblaster.

Walter
May 19, 2013, 01:39 AM
I bought a Canik C100 three weeks ago at Academy, $329+TTL. Haven't fired it yet due to the unavailability of 9mm Para. ammunition. This is my first 9mm, otherwise I probably would have had SOME ammo, but I did not.

I had been looking for a CZ 75D PCR for a while, with no luck at all, when I became aware of the Canik C100. CZs are almost impossible to find in my area at any price, so the Canik, at that price, seemed like a good idea. It is basically a copy of the CZ 75D PCR with a safety instead of a decocker.

The gun seems to be built really well, no rough tool marks inside or out, with
a finish that resembles the black poly-coat that CZ uses. I like that finish a lot, it's what's on my CZ RAMI .40sw, and it wears really well.

The gun is very slick functioning, as in slide movement, chambering rounds(I do have some "Factory Reloads" I picked up in a "gun swap" a few years ago, but I don't want to use them to evaluate a new gun), slide release, safety engagement, mag release, etc. I hope to get out to shoot it next week, and if it shoots as well as everything else works on the gun, I will be a happy camper.

I have two holsters for the CZ RAMI I mentioned, a High Noon paddle, and a Don Hume IWB, and the Canik fits in them both very well. I don't see a need to buy any holsters for it soon. And I am impressed with the Mec-Gar mags. They seem very well built, and relatively easy to load. With the furnished loading tool, of course.

So overall, if the gun shoots, with few or no FTF's, FTE's, etc, and is reasonably accurate, I will be very happy. Especially for the price.
And IF I can find some 9mm Para. ammo.:banghead:

Walter

meanmrmustard
May 19, 2013, 09:19 AM
@masterblaster.....please paragraph breaks......really hard to read a wall of text. Thanks.

On topic id own one if they had ambi safeties. Being a lefty shooter this is always a huge annoyance. When cz put out the 85s and ss 75s with ambi safety I jumped and never looked back. I've been looking at these caniks on buds but the lack of an ambi safety has kept me from jumping on one. The curse of shooting lefty, I guess.......
They do.

See Canik Stingray....look up features.

Now, you can get one!

meanmrmustard
May 19, 2013, 09:21 AM
I bought a Canik C100 three weeks ago at Academy, $329+TTL. Haven't fired it yet due to the unavailability of 9mm Para. ammunition. This is my first 9mm, otherwise I probably would have had SOME ammo, but I did not.

I had been looking for a CZ 75D PCR for a while, with no luck at all, when I became aware of the Canik C100. CZs are almost impossible to find in my area at any price, so the Canik, at that price, seemed like a good idea. It is basically a copy of the CZ 75D PCR with a safety instead of a decocker.

The gun seems to be built really well, no rough tool marks inside or out, with
a finish that resembles the black poly-coat that CZ uses. I like that finish a lot, it's what's on my CZ RAMI .40sw, and it wears really well.

The gun is very slick functioning, as in slide movement, chambering rounds(I do have some "Factory Reloads" I picked up in a "gun swap" a few years ago, but I don't want to use them to evaluate a new gun), slide release, safety engagement, mag release, etc. I hope to get out to shoot it next week, and if it shoots as well as everything else works on the gun, I will be a happy camper.

I have two holsters for the CZ RAMI I mentioned, a High Noon paddle, and a Don Hume IWB, and the Canik fits in them both very well. I don't see a need to buy any holsters for it soon. And I am impressed with the Mec-Gar mags. They seem very well built, and relatively easy to load. With the furnished loading tool, of course.

So overall, if the gun shoots, with few or no FTF's, FTE's, etc, and is reasonably accurate, I will be very happy. Especially for the price.
And IF I can find some 9mm Para. ammo.:banghead:

Walter
Congratulations on your purchase.

I'll wager that, with factory ammo to start, you'll see no malfs.

Kiln
May 19, 2013, 01:57 PM
They do.

See Canik Stingray....look up features.

Now, you can get one!
Hey Mustard, how's your Canik doing now? Round count? I've got 750 rounds through mine now and so far I'm still very impressed with my C100.

meanmrmustard
May 20, 2013, 06:36 PM
Hey Mustard, how's your Canik doing now? Round count? I've got 750 rounds through mine now and so far I'm still very impressed with my C100.
I'm officially at 984.

It has had no malfunctions.

It eats junk reloads, UMC, and steel case: Stuff I wouldn't feed a gun I hate. But, by golly, this is a compact, sub $500 battle pistol if I've ever owned one.

I trust my life to it.

muggia59
May 20, 2013, 11:40 PM
I had a c100 that had feed problems with hollowpoints. Polished the S#%t out of the feedramp and that took care of the problem. It did seem lighter than my cz75 compact, and it shot a little low. Other than that I was happy with it. It could also be put on safe whether cocked or not. My ffl gave me what I paid for it towards a magnum research 1911, so we parted ways (I dont sell my guns unless unreliable, so this was an exeption). Good guns and well priced as far as I can tell. Like I said, it might need a little polish. Happy shooting.

jhb
May 21, 2013, 12:14 AM
@meanmrmustard...sure if they had any in stock.;)
Actually I like the s120 version and was refering more to it..as a option to a cz75.

Appreciate the heads up though on the other model with an ambi safety.

Kiln
May 21, 2013, 04:54 AM
I'm officially at 984.

It has had no malfunctions.

It eats junk reloads, UMC, and steel case: Stuff I wouldn't feed a gun I hate. But, by golly, this is a compact, sub $500 battle pistol if I've ever owned one.

I trust my life to it.
Good to hear, looks like I didn't get the only one that works great!

meanmrmustard
May 21, 2013, 07:38 AM
@meanmrmustard...sure if they had any in stock.;)
Actually I like the s120 version and was refering more to it..as a option to a cz75.

Appreciate the heads up though on the other model with an ambi safety.
J&G sales has the Stingray in Brushed Chrome.

Buds has the Shark C in every cerakote color you can shake a stick at.

masterblaster702
May 21, 2013, 07:25 PM
Sorry about the wall of text. Must have gotten carried away.

My Tristar is running great no hiccups. Great guns

meanmrmustard
May 21, 2013, 10:15 PM
Sorry about the wall of text. Must have gotten carried away.

My Tristar is running great no hiccups. Great guns
Congrats.

Welcome to THR, by the way. Great source of info, and making friends.

Am I to assume your Tristar brought you here? If so, you've stumbled on a great forum, and a fine weapon. While not overly mainstream, the Canik line is getting more popular as we speak.

I've a friend that is ordering the Shark-C in hard chrome and alloy frame, cerakote Olive Drab Green (from factory) from Bud's. Hes chomping at the bit for his own slice of Turkish heaven after shooting my Stingray.

masterblaster702
June 6, 2013, 12:26 AM
Thanks MrMustard!

Been working alot and hadn't had much free time. Anyhow went to the range again today with my Tristar and problems.

Gun is very accurate. I also picked up an IWB holster from Theiss Holsters. Tommy the owner is a true gent. He makes each holster by hand.

I took a chance and ordered the CZ75 holster and it works very well. Of course holster took a little bit of break in but it is a fine holster.

I gave Tommy a call and told him what I had done with regards to ordering the CZ holster for the Tristar and he said he would update his site to make it easier for Canik owners to find.

As an owner of a Crossbreed Supertuck and a Theiss Holster. I think for the money and customer service that you get from Tommy Theiss I would pick the Theiss holster.

TennJed
June 6, 2013, 02:11 AM
They seem like a heck of a good value

meanmrmustard
June 6, 2013, 07:10 AM
They seem like a heck of a good value
They are.

Accurate as well. Biggest problem I see in this size of pistol is weight.

While built like a tank, it weighs as much too. But, recoil, even in a 9x19, is nonexistent.

Pilot
June 6, 2013, 08:43 AM
They are.

Accurate as well. Biggest problem I see in this size of pistol is weight.

While built like a tank, it weighs as much too. But, recoil, even in a 9x19, is nonexistent.
They also offer lightweight, alloy framed pistols similar to the CZ PCR though too, right?

meanmrmustard
June 6, 2013, 08:45 AM
They also offer lightweight, alloy framed pistols similar to the CZ PCR though too, right?
Indeed. They have alloy and polymer framed handguns as well.

Mine is steel, that's my reference.

The 100s, the TP, both lighter.

masterblaster702
June 6, 2013, 03:15 PM
My EDC gun before I found my Tristar was the Glock 27 which I still carry some times however I've found myself carrying the Tristar more because of the capacity.

The Tristar does weigh more but it does not hinder me in any way and actually the Tristar for me is more concealable because of the slimmer profile vs the chunky Glock.

For me this is very noticeable mostly when driving. So in essence I find myself packing the Glock to grocery store etc. and the Tristar when I am about town and more likely to travel through seedier areas where the added capacity gives me peace of mind. YMMV

Tristar has also been on nightstand duty as of late. This gun for me is very versatile and the cheapness and availibility of mecgar mags makes it a very good idea for anyone that needs a good 9mm for whatever reason

Now if I could only find some 9mm ammo....

meanmrmustard
June 6, 2013, 03:19 PM
My EDC gun before I found my Tristar was the Glock 27 which I still carry some times however I've found myself carrying the Tristar more because of the capacity.

The Tristar does weigh more but it does not hinder me in any way and actually the Tristar for me is more concealable because of the slimmer profile vs the chunky Glock.

For me this is very noticeable mostly when driving. So in essence I find myself packing the Glock to grocery store etc. and the Tristar when I am about town and more likely to travel through seedier areas where the added capacity gives me peace of mind. YMMV

Tristar has also been on nightstand duty as of late. This gun for me is very versatile and the cheapness and availibility of mecgar mags makes it a very good idea for anyone that needs a good 9mm for whatever reason

Now if I could only find some 9mm ammo....
Try local mom n pop hardware stores.

otunca
July 27, 2013, 02:21 PM
Any body has any bad thing about Canik 55 pistols yet ?
I like the hear other sides
THX

guncheese
July 27, 2013, 10:36 PM
the only downside i have ran into yet is
trying to get a spring kit and firing pin to keep on hand for my TP-9. its my EDC and i want spares on hand. i called CAI and they said they dont have any and that the 3rd party market should take care of it.
thats not the right answer!!
i wonder if tri-star will have parts, or do i have to fly to Turkey to get a set of springs?

meanmrmustard
August 2, 2013, 08:43 AM
the only downside i have ran into yet is
trying to get a spring kit and firing pin to keep on hand for my TP-9. its my EDC and i want spares on hand. i called CAI and they said they dont have any and that the 3rd party market should take care of it.
thats not the right answer!!
i wonder if tri-star will have parts, or do i have to fly to Turkey to get a set of springs?
With free warranty repairs should any of those things fail while still encompassed by said warranty, they'd have to keep some on hand.

I'd ask to speak with a different person, keep calling, and I imagine you may get your springs.

chuckles
August 6, 2013, 02:44 PM
They are a best buy, sleeper deal. I bought a Tristar T-100, chromed and liked it so much I bought 2 Stingrays, both hard chromed. I think they are the best buy I've made in handguns. Mecgar mags from Tristar, $30 and available, really well made, tight, and shoots lights out. The Stingrays have LPA adjustable tritium sights, ambi controls and accessories, (springs, grips, etc) for CZ compacts fit the Canik C models. I bought the second Stingray just to save for later when the price goes up and the availability goes down. Great shooters, accurate and dependable too. The stingrays are all steel, the Tristars are alloy framed, steel slides.

August 7, 2013, 03:34 AM
I have a T-120 in brushed chrome. Seems very well made. The one downside is the D/A trigger pull. Mine is around 20 lbs

Wilbert
August 7, 2013, 03:53 PM
I finally broke down last month and bought one for the girlfriend to shoot. She loves it. It's a really nice little package. She really liked the CZ PCR, but there are none to be found, so I bought the C-100 and put CZ rubber grips on it. That made a nice little pistol feel even better.

We've had ~300rds downrange now, and it still hasn't had a hiccup. Very accurate and easy to shoot. It' more of a pleasure to shoot than my glock 27 that I recently bought for concealed carry, but it's also larger. I'll stick with the glock for now. I would consider buying another in the future so I can have my own ;)

goon
August 7, 2013, 10:24 PM
My brother bought one a couple weeks ago. So far he's pretty happy with it. It's been 100% reliable, but the trigger is a little heavy.

dvf07512
August 29, 2013, 05:33 PM
I love the T 100. I would love to see if it has a rail for mounting a light or laser. I have seen some pictures of the T 100 with the rail and some pictures without a rail, I'm not sure if it really has one. Can anyone who owns a T 100 provide the answer?

atomd
August 30, 2013, 04:35 PM
I keep hearing about how cheap these are but I keep seeing them for well over $400 and sometimes almost $500. You can get a CZ 75B for $500 easy. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

tekarra
August 30, 2013, 05:43 PM
The most expensive one that I saw at a gun show last week was $350.

TennJed
August 30, 2013, 08:48 PM
The most expensive one that I saw at a gun show last week was $350.

That is what I have been seeing them go for around here

dvf07512
August 30, 2013, 09:12 PM
Just checked on Buds Gun Shop. They are in stock for $359 with free shipping. And I found the answer to my question. The picture on Buds shows the gun with a rail.

meanmrmustard
September 6, 2013, 12:49 PM
I keep hearing about how cheap these are but I keep seeing them for well over $400 and sometimes almost $500. You can get a CZ 75B for $500 easy. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places.
No, indeed.

But, supply and demand set the prices. I've been fortunate to find them quite cheap.

rockhopper46038
September 6, 2013, 01:35 PM
I picked up a Canik55 Stingray-C for $250 a few months back. It's an astoundingly fine little pistol for the price. Very accurate, nicely machined. So what are the downsides? Not many. It's heavy, but certainly manageable for an all steel 14+1 compact pistol. The hard plastic grips aren't fantastic, but I got a set of the rubber ones off a CZ compact for $10 that went right on. The OEM magazines (marked Canik55 and made by Mec-Gar - I called Mec-Gar to verify) aren't really available and although the CZ compact and the P01 magazines do work, the baseplate on the Canik mags is actually nicer and the catch slot on the SP01 mags isn't precisely the same, so a little file work is needed to make them fit the way I like. The white inlayed writing on the loaded chamber indicator wiped off almost immediately (I didn't mind, I didn't like it anyway - kinda wish they hadn't even bothered with the indicator) and the twisted wire recoil spring looks like it was woven by a couple of blind starlings making a nest -but it works just fine. About the only other issue I have which I really would like to resolve if anyone could confirm for me; the "shelved" safety design doesn't give me enough of a ledge to swipe it off with my thumb as easily as I'd like - can a nice, wide CZ safety be fitted to this gun? Otherwise I'm going to have to file or mill the top half of the thumb safety off so my thumb doesn't slide over it so easily without getting the traction necessary to disengage it. Oh, keep it pretty well oiled - part of the reason I got it so cheap for a gun that hadn't had more than 1 magazine put through it is that the previous owner threw it in his safe after 1 range trip and the guide rod and recoil spring were visibly covered with a light rust just from trapped humidity (I'm afraid to know what his other guns looked like when he got home to check them out). It wiped right off but clearly the light parkerizing or whatever they threw on the guide rod versus the very nice brushed chrome used everywhere else on the pistol doesn't hold up all that well to being left un-oiled.

If you enjoyed reading about "Canik Pistols: Who owns one?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!