Letter To Your Congress Reps Suggested Verbiage Thread

PDA

strange246
December 28, 2012, 07:27 PM
Anyone more well spoken than myself care to suggest verbiage when writing ones representatives in congress? I'm a certified welder and mechanic, not an orator, I assume there's more folks out there like myself that would like to call or write their reps and not come off sounding like a "gun toting tool"

If you enjoyed reading about "Letter To Your Congress Reps Suggested Verbiage Thread" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JBrady555
December 28, 2012, 07:33 PM
Welder/Boilermaker here too. As stated in another thread that I read its probably best to keep the letters short and sweet. One or two sentences on your stance and how you won't vote for someone who votes for anti-gun legislation. Like also stated the representative likely won't be reading it, just their staff which catagorize your letter into either pro gun or anti gun. If our catagory out weighs the anti's catagory then we could possibly even sway the thinking of a anti gun politician afraid of losing re-election. this is just my two cents.

Billll
December 28, 2012, 07:55 PM
There was a comment over at Tameras from a fellow who actually had the job of reading a congressman's mail. The gist of it is that while the congressman won't be reading your letter, his staff will be.

The staff has bags of mail to read so the reading will be cursory.

The staff is put upon enough that hate mail will be canned.

Score is kept on the topics: Guns, for or against, etc, for or against. Going into great detail isn't necessary.

E-mail works better than snail mail since all envelopes are screened for Anthrax and bombs.

Putting your name on a form letter will count for less that something you wrote yourself as the Congressman wants to know how many of the letters supporting banning baloney are form letters.

Example:
----------------------
Jack S. Phogbound
U.S. Senator

Dear Sen. Phogbound:

I am writing you today in hopes that you will unalterably oppose the {insert bill name and number here}. This legislation is an affront to every freedom-loving American.

Additionally, if you have the opportunity, please defund and abolish the BATFE, it is the dictionary definition of jack-booted thuggery and incompetence.

Yours truly
Vinnie the Voter
-------------------------

That second paragraph is optional. I always include it regardless of the primary topic.

Some people think that writing Dems and asking them to oppose things like gun bans and higher taxes is a waste of time, but even the most hard-core Dem has to get re-elected and as one of them remarked, "When I feel the heat, I see the light." Stacks of mail from people who are in a position to vote against them in an upcoming election carries weight.

Don't just write by yourself. Encourage your friends to write as well. The operative word here is "stacks".

Short, simple, to the point, and lots of it.

Now get writing!

Blondie
December 28, 2012, 08:24 PM
I posted this somewhere else, but thought I'd copy here. Anyone that would like to copy or use it as a template, please go for it!

Dear _____:

I am contacting you in light of all of the gun issues recently in the news. I ask that you do not vote in favor of any new gun regulations/bans. Additional gun laws - in addition to those already on the books - would not affect anyone but law-abiding gun owners and future gun owners. Instead of passing laws that won't change the behavior of criminals, there are other laws/policies that could (i.e., prosecuting criminals that break current gun laws, adding security to schools, funding states to make sure that the criminal background database is updated). Moreover, I keep hearing about passing "common sense gun laws," but we already have those (many regulations on fullly-automatic firearms, background checks, felons cannot possess firearms, etc.). Finally, this issue involves a constitutionally-protected right, and therefore, is much more sensivitve to a lot of people, including myself and a lot of my friends and family. Everyone has the right to choose what firearm is necessary for self defense, defense of family, hunting, and sport shooting.

Again, please do not vote in favor of any legislation that constitutes additional restrictions/bans on firearms. Thank you, and I hope you and your family have a happy new year.

Blonde

Blondie
December 28, 2012, 08:49 PM
Here is another for the senators:

I am writing to voice my opposition to any new gun laws, particularly those that ban semi-automatic firearms and/or certain magazines. I strongly disagree with such proposals because (1) they will not stop criminals from obtaining firearms or other weapons and committing crimes; (2) they do not address any underlying mental illnesses or other conditions that could contribute to someone committing crimes; and (3) they represent just another attempt to make it harder for law-abiding citizens to exercise their rights with respect to firearms.

While I am in favor of aggresively enforcing current laws against criminals after they commit crimes, we should not pass laws that will just restrict the rights of otherwise law-abiding people. Accordingly, and on behalf of the people of __________, please oppose any proposals that seek to ban certain firearms or impose arbitrary limits on magazine capacity. I will also be contacting Senator _________ to also ask them to do the same. Thank you.

Blonde

wannabeagunsmith
December 28, 2012, 08:52 PM
Just sent your letter along. Thanks :)

M-Cameron
December 28, 2012, 09:09 PM
i am no literary master, but i have learned a few things...

1) be polite. its ok to have a stern tone, but never let it get to the point where it sounds as though you are being belligerent, especially if you are writing to someone who may not be the most gun friendly. ive noticed people are more apt to listen to you if you dont insult/attack them (shocking, right?)

2) state exactly why you are writing and what you want within the first 2 sentences. people dont want to read a novel to figure out why you are writing them, make it clear and direct.

3) argue your point. dont just say "i dont want XXXX" and leave it...say why, provide detail, make it known you know what you are talking about.

4) it never hurts to suggest a plan of action. you dont think gun control is the answer, suggest solutions you think they should look into instead.

Skribs
December 28, 2012, 09:20 PM
HSO posted this in a few other threads. I'll be copying this verbatim in the emails I send out:

Any AWB is a failed idea because it doesn't address the root cause of the shooting at Sandy Hook, is unconstitutional in the light of the SCOTUS rulings on DC and Chicago clarifying that the 2nd Amendment is an individual right, is unworkable because of the budgetary crisis and that millions of people will be accidentally turned into felons when they fail to register their existing firearms thinking they aren't covered, will create greater government bureaucracy, and treats 200 million voters as if they were criminally insane instead of treating the criminally insane. If you oppose an AWB I pledge to work for your reelection to keep a rational elected official in office. Any support for an AWB will result in my passionately working for any opponent running to unseat you and to unseat those who also supported and AWB. The backlash against politicians who supported the 1994 AWB will pale in comparison to the backlash against those that don't oppose such misguided politically motivated legislation using the tragedy at Sandy Hook as an excuse now.

Frank Ettin
December 28, 2012, 09:34 PM
Short and sweet is best. Simply state that you are in favor of this or opposed to that. No one is going to be paying attention to your reasons or arguments. It's pretty much simply a matter of counting up how many people are on each side to the issue.

gbran
December 28, 2012, 09:35 PM
Dear_____________,

In 2012, out of a poulation of some 313 million people, just 6 chose to become mass murderers with firearms (The FBI defines mass murder as four or more murders occurring during a particular event with no cooling-off period between the murders).

Statistically, that is the proverbial spec on the end of the lost needle in a really huge hay stack. Please don't enact burdensome laws on the masses in the false hope of effecting the actions of a handful of mentally defective, evil people.

As to common everyday murders, we need criminal control remedies, not gun control laws criminals will not obey.

strange246
December 28, 2012, 09:37 PM
Thanks folks!

Blondie
December 28, 2012, 09:44 PM
Here is short and sweet:

Aint no way you should be voting for new gun laws. Git 'er done. :D

Blonde

sidheshooter
December 28, 2012, 09:46 PM
This is one of the more useful thread ideas we've had here recently; I, for one, appreciate it.

I've noticed that some of the (remaining) pro-gun petitions at whitehouse.gov have some obvious spelling errors; I don't think that does our side much good in the culture wars.

Short, sweet, spell check twice, send. Repeat.

JMO.

If you enjoyed reading about "Letter To Your Congress Reps Suggested Verbiage Thread" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!