AR 15 or Ed Brown 1911

PDA

CTGunner
December 28, 2012, 06:49 PM
If you had 3k to burn on one firearm would you spend it on an AR in anticipation of a ban or on a new Ed Brown 1911? Assume the AR is of Colt or higher quality but that you are paying a premium for the current AR shortage. Assume you are paying MSRP for the Brown.

If you enjoyed reading about "AR 15 or Ed Brown 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
walnut1704
December 28, 2012, 06:52 PM
I'd go for the 1911. If the ban is enacted as making AR's Title II firearms as they are proposing, I wouldn't want the hassle of registering it. If it's not enacted, prices will crash.

BP44
December 28, 2012, 06:56 PM
I would go for the Brown, that said I have a few black guns already and I'm sure that influences me decision a bit.

MrTwigg
December 28, 2012, 08:00 PM
Hard to beat a quality 1911.

xXxplosive
December 28, 2012, 08:02 PM
I'd go for the rifle first and buy it now so if anything it will be grandfathered......preferrably.....Colt Match Target.

Blondie
December 28, 2012, 08:04 PM
I think it depends. Do you have any other ARs or other 1911s? Are you looking for something to just buy, or are you trying to fill a need? For example, if you want a defensive tool, are you more confortable with rifles vs. handguns?

I vote Ed Brown because I don't like overpaying for anything and ARs are really really overpriced right now.

CTGunner
December 28, 2012, 08:19 PM
I don't have an AR and really don't have an overwhelming desire to shoot one extensively. With that said I would like to own one and the idea of never being able to get one is bothersome. But when I look at the price tag I realize that for the same money I could have something of very high quality like a Brown. I don't "need" either as need was covered a while back. I do already own some 1911s of excellent quality.

I do think that when inflation hits that hard assets will hold their value better than many other investments. Not to say this is an investment but it is something I like to keep in mind.

meanmrmustard
December 28, 2012, 08:28 PM
1911. Maybe not the EB. I'd like a Dan Wesson, but that's me.

Hapworth
December 28, 2012, 08:39 PM
Go for the Ed Brown. His 1911s -- which are superb -- have commanded their price for some time.

The AR-15 panic while likely subside.

The 1911 holds its value. The AR drops fast.

Check back tomorrow for changes in predictions based on changes in the weather... ;)

bannockburn
December 28, 2012, 08:41 PM
I would go with the Ed Brown M1911. Sure to hold its value and more practical (at least for me), in terms of everyday use.

sig228
December 28, 2012, 08:42 PM
If you are willing to spend 3k on a AR-15 panic buy you are contributing to the hysteria.

Shame on you.

Ed Brown, btw.

CTGunner
December 28, 2012, 08:48 PM
Shame on you.
I earned the money and I can spend it however I want. Reserve the shame on you comments for your children.

Luv 2 Shoot
December 28, 2012, 08:51 PM
At first I said Ed Brown. Then I though about it... and still say Ed Brown.

smalls
December 28, 2012, 08:58 PM
I'd buy both. Used.

:neener:

nathan
December 28, 2012, 10:33 PM
AR s are overpriced at rip off prices. Dont fall on the panic you will lose big time. Get a 1911 , it will be mroe useful for self defense at home. A .45 ACP JHP used in close quarters is comforting to say the least.

willroute
December 28, 2012, 10:40 PM
I love the 1911. I do not have an Ed Brown. I have a Wilson, Colt and Springfield, but the Ed Brown is on my list one day. 1911 is like the Ar15 when it comes to swapping parts- always have tons around and interchangeable. (well....used to have Ar15 parts around..not anymore!)

hso
December 28, 2012, 10:43 PM
You're already too far behind the curve on the AR at this point and would pay $1,000 more than it was worth a month ago so I'd go for the pistol.

texasgun
December 28, 2012, 10:51 PM
for $3k you can easily get the new Wilson X-tac which is a GREAT 1911. I absolutely love mine ... straight shooter out of the box. ~1,500rds thru it and not a single FTF/FTE. perfect gun. extremely well made.

threefeathers
December 28, 2012, 10:53 PM
If you don't have an AR then do that. After all, don't you want to be a Feinstein criminal with most of the rest of us?

gp911
December 28, 2012, 11:01 PM
Ed Brown. I like ARs but paying 3 large for one that cost $1500 a month ago is a waste of money to me, and a poor bet since a new ban isn't assured yet.

CTGunner
December 28, 2012, 11:01 PM
Happy to report that I already have an x-tac and also have no failures to report either. I love Wilson's functionality but there is something about the cobra carry that draws me in, like a moth to a flame :)

chalk_2
December 28, 2012, 11:06 PM
I'd go with the AR. I'm pretty sure that 1911's aren't on the chopping block, and you could buy one any time you want.

OARNGESI
December 28, 2012, 11:12 PM
i would go with the 1911

Chevelle SS
December 29, 2012, 12:50 AM
How about a Wilson 1911 instead?

Warp
December 29, 2012, 12:52 AM
Wait a little (or medium) while and use that $3k to buy a Colt AR (or BCM, DD, Noveske, etc)and a Dan Wesson 1911, after the hysteria dies down. Plus some mags and ammo.

Might be months before you can do that, though.

CTGunner
December 29, 2012, 12:54 AM
Already have a Wilson and really like it but the Ed Brown Cobra Carry is available right now, no ordering or waiting required, and it's one of my favorite 'looking' pistols. I know that the aesthetics shouldn't matter but there is just something about the Cobra that I find especially awesome.

Eb1
December 29, 2012, 01:02 AM
I'd buy a 1911 for $600 take $400 and buy a turret press and supplies. Then take the other $1500 and buy a used motorcycle and $500 to fix it up. Sell it for $3000, and be back where I started.

I don't think any pistol or revolver is worth $3000. I also don't think that any rifle is worth $3000, unless it is belt feed and comes with a Willy's Jeep.

CTGunner
December 29, 2012, 01:04 AM
Wait a little (or medium) while and use that $3k to buy a Colt AR (or BCM, DD, Noveske, etc)and a Dan Wesson 1911, after the hysteria dies down. Plus some mags and ammo.

Might be months before you can do that, though.

Great points and I generally agree that this is not the time to buy BUT I'm located in CT and as you can imagine the hysteria here is heightened by the fact that 1. We already have an AWB in place and 2. There seems to be an appetite at the state level to take the existing ban to a whole other level which may include eliminating future transfers....

With all of that said I am starting to conclude that spending 3k on an AR isn't the right thing to do and if I get stuck never owning one I'll just have to deal with it until I retire and move to Arizona or Texas.

Ah, maybe I should get a nice bolt gun, good glass, and call it a compromise. :)

Warp
December 29, 2012, 01:10 AM
How about a nice M1 Garand from the CMP? :)

RockyMtnTactical
December 29, 2012, 02:57 AM
AR15 first.

thump_rrr
December 29, 2012, 03:17 AM
I'd say that if it were me it would depend on how much difference the extra $1,000 I'd be overpaying for the AR at the present time made in my life.
If financially the extra $1,000 is no big deal then the AR is the way to go since it may become unobtainable in the future.
If the rules will allow transfers then maybe the price will increase.

I'm in a similar predicament because even though I live in Canada I'm a member at a range in VT.

My AR is not permitted into the US due to its 14.5" barrel and the fact that it is a Norinco.
I am debating wether to purchase a new rifle which meets current US regulations or go with something that meets current CT and NY regulations
The US may not even allow any cross border transport of AR's at all so everything is pure speculation at this point.

1911 guy
December 29, 2012, 09:58 AM
I voted for the pistol. Most of those buying EBR's right now are doing it only because it's seen as the next forbidden fruit. I know that for some it's also been the first opportunity to buy, but for most they've had the chance and it wasn't worth it until they thought they might be banned.

In short, if you didn't buy before, you likely don't really need to buy one now. Wait until the price drops. Unless, of course, you find one at November prices.

76shuvlinoff
December 29, 2012, 10:06 AM
I already have what I perceive as a quality AR and a quality 1911. I would look into a National Match M1A myself... but that wasn't your question, sorry.

Given your choices I would be looking at a commander size bob-tailed and dehorned 1911.

CTGunner
December 29, 2012, 10:09 AM
I looked at a national match yesterday, price tag was 3k exactly. I'm just not sure what I would do with it..all local ranges are 100 yards.

Baba Louie
December 29, 2012, 10:12 AM
As I am more urban than rural, my vote went to the Ed Brown. Should I be the opposite in living locale, the opposite would apply.

Wildbillz
December 29, 2012, 10:30 AM
I am with the sort of depends group on this. If you don't own an AR? I would concider it. While I would have a hard time paying 3K for one I don't think we will be able to buy and sell them freely for much longer.

If you all ready have some sort of AR? Then I would go for the 1911. But then I would have a hard time paying 3k for a pistol also. It sounds like you all ready have a couple of cool dude 1911's. So in my book that would sway it more tward the rifle again.

A couple of months ago I would have said to take the 3K and get a decent AK and some mags, a Midlevel AR and an entry level 1911. Use what ever was left to buy some reloading equipment or take the wife out to a nice dinner. But that was a month or so ago and this is now.

Good luck with your decision.
WB

If you enjoyed reading about "AR 15 or Ed Brown 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!