Speaking of Axis locks

PDA

rbernie
December 29, 2012, 10:18 AM
Have they shown any greater propensity for getting gummed up with dust or grime relative to liner locks?

I'm looking at my first one, and wondering how it'd do as an low-maintenance backcountry carry blade...

If you enjoyed reading about "Speaking of Axis locks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
floorit76
December 29, 2012, 10:34 AM
I have carried the same 940 to work, and everywhere else for the last 5 years. It has never been apart. I just blow it out every now and then, maybe put a drop of oil on the pivot. I am an electrician, so it goes with me into trenches and backhoe holes, attics, crawlspaces, pretty much everywhere civilized people don't go. It has been utterly reliable. I thought I lost it one day, so I ordered another. Found it on the counter, so the new one is my "going to town " knife. Thinking about ordering a third, just in case.

rcmodel
December 29, 2012, 01:52 PM
Have they shown any greater propensity for getting gummed upNo, less in fact.
I have carried a 710 since the Axis-Lock was introduced and only had it fail one time.

A freak occurrence that could not ever happen, but did.
See this about that:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=590697&highlight=magnetic+spring

Like floorit76, I sometimes flush it out good with WD-40 and blow it out with an air hose when I get a round tuit..

But it has never been apart for cleaning.

rc

ugaarguy
December 29, 2012, 08:29 PM
Carried a couple of them deployed to Iraq, and in garrison in the moon dust desert sand of SW Idaho. Dirt and dust fall back out of the mechanism as it's worked, and stick less than in lock backs and even liner locks.

mole
December 29, 2012, 10:51 PM
I slice up an apple just about everyday with my pocket knife. My axis locks gets gummy whereas my lock-backs just needed a quick flushing with water when I washed my hands. The axis still works okay, but it was no where as easy to open. I have to give it a quick scrub with soap and a toothbrush about once a week to keep it working fine. This is a sticky liquid situation though that most won't encounter. Keeping it dry would probably not cause this issue. I still prefer my axis lock benchmade to my other knives.

greyling22
January 3, 2013, 09:33 PM
nope. they're fine. if you're on the fence and just want to try one out, try a ganzo 710 or 704. they're like 20 bucks and will give you a real good idea what a high end one is like.

rcmodel
January 3, 2013, 09:40 PM
What the heck is a ganzo 710 or 704 for $20??

rc

rbernie
January 3, 2013, 09:45 PM
I've got a MiniGrip on order; we'll see if it displaces the Buck small Vantage Pro as my EDC....

greyling22
January 3, 2013, 09:59 PM
those 2 ganzo models are chinese clones of benchmade designs. I picked up the 704. It's not as well made as my bm940, mostly it's just too heavy and uses aus8 steel. I'd put them on par with some of the kershaw's and the spyderco tenacious models. I don't really recommend them as alternatives to good quality blades, but if you just want to try out the axis lock they're great. And I don't feel too bad about recommending the g704 since benchmade doesn't make that design any more. the g710 is a rift clone.

ugaarguy
January 3, 2013, 10:01 PM
RC,

Ganzo G704 - http://www.greatwalloutdoor.com/ganzo-g704-tactical-folding-knife-3-38-modified-clip-point-axis-lock-440c-blade-steel-flat-black-g10-handle-scales.html

Ganzo 701 - http://www.greatwalloutdoor.com/g701.html

These are Chinese knockoffs.

rcmodel
January 3, 2013, 10:06 PM
Well I'll be jiggered with a $17.89 Chinese Benchmade rip-off!

I did not know they made those.

rc

Coop45
January 3, 2013, 10:08 PM
I like human beef, but I ordered a Benchmade. Be glad when it gets here!

tomrkba
January 3, 2013, 10:28 PM
I haven't cleaned mine in at least three years. I don't see any crud in there now.

I value my index finger and won't compromise with a cheap clone.

greyling22
January 3, 2013, 10:30 PM
Enaln makes a few axis knives too. they are at least original designs. I like the el-02.

strider, benchmade, oakley, prada, surefire,...... copies abound. navy makes a bunch of spyderco rip offs, and you can get sebenza clones off aliexpress. I haven't been willing to try an $80 copy from china though. Too scary. They're supposed to require some work on the washers to be halfway decent.

Deltaboy
January 4, 2013, 08:31 AM
My CRTK Hammond Cruiser never been cleaned yet. The Axis lock is great.

rcmodel
January 4, 2013, 11:36 AM
The CRTK Hammond Cruiser doesn't have an Axis-Lock.

It is an inter-frame liner lock as far as I can tell.
I believe it also has the CRKT LAWKS safety to lock the liner lock.

rc

greyling22
January 4, 2013, 11:38 AM
Delta, I don't think the hammond is an axis lock. looks more like it's got a LAWKS lock on it.

Bikewer
January 4, 2013, 12:40 PM
I've got one of the old CS Recons with the Axis lock (before they got threatened with a lawsuit...) and never had any trouble with it... I just blow out any accumulated dust now and then.

Deltaboy
January 5, 2013, 08:25 PM
Sorry the paper work that came with the knife called the secondary lock an Axis lock.

rcmodel
January 5, 2013, 08:47 PM
Thats odd.

Up until fairly recently at least, Benchmade held the Patent and Trademark name on the Axis-Lock.

CRKT held the same on the LAWKS® Walker liner-lock safety your knife has.

http://www.crkt.com/knifeinnovations#FOLDERSAFETIES

rc

Coop45
January 5, 2013, 09:22 PM
My 943 MCP arrived today and I'm one happy camper. This is my first Benchmade and I'm especially tickled to see the openness the lock/hinge area.

rcmodel
January 5, 2013, 11:15 PM
Very few people I know are ever disappointed with Benchmades.

Unless they can afford $500+ customs.

Then they still shouldn't be, for what litle they paid for a Benchmade.

rc

Deltaboy
January 6, 2013, 09:40 AM
Probably a printing error all I know is the secondary lock is so strong I can put it in a vise and press down and lift my 230 pounds off the Floor. The Benchmade I have handled are just as strongly made.

VoodooSan
January 9, 2013, 06:10 AM
yea always had good luck with the Axis lock. No worries there

Centurian22
January 9, 2013, 07:52 AM
Carried my griptillian everyday for 5 1/2 years now and couldn't be happier with the knife, especially the Axis lock. I like the ability to slide the lock down and flick the blade out. I have easily beat out many assisted openers in speed of deployment. Not to mention I trust my fingers WAY more to an axis lock than I ever would to a liner lock. Solid bar of steel vs. thin layer of sheet metal (ok so that may be slightly exaggerated), I know my choice. Another vote for them staying very clean and low maintenance. Like others have said a flush with some WD-40 and a wipe with a rag and q-tip and its like new.

Stainz
January 13, 2013, 09:28 AM
A great AXIS lock BM entry model is one of the Benchmade 15020 series of Mike Waddell's 'Bone Collector' series, at 3.36" x .125" of D2, or the smaller 15030 series at 2.95" x .115" of D2, either in various G10 combination or walnut handles. The 15050 series is nice, too... but they are lockbacks.

I have a number of AXIS lock BM's - including my first-ever BM - a 551 Griptilian. Oddly, I was talking with a custom knife maker/designer some months ago at a local sharp things emporium. He asked me what I thought of the BM Griptilian... I told him I had a bunch of BM's - and the Grip was my least favorite! Yep, I stepped in it... I was talking with Repton, Alabama's Mel Pardue - Benchmade's senior designer - and the Grip's papa! He did make me a custom folder - Damascus blade & bolster, mammoth ivory scales, gold appointements, unreal filework - in exchange for a benchrest .22 (I made out!). That's a 'work of art' - I should charge admission to view it!

Stainz

Valkman
January 13, 2013, 02:14 PM
I'd like to see that knife Stainz!

I have a Griptilian and a Bone Collector and can't believe how much more knife the BC is for about the same money. It's a beast!

If you enjoyed reading about "Speaking of Axis locks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!