Facebook bans account for pro-gun quote from Gandhi

PDA

wacki
December 29, 2012, 01:36 PM
I really hope this isn't true.

Found this via drudge report.

Offending image:

http://www.naturalnews.com/gallery/articles/Gandhi-Quote-Banned-By-Facebook-600.jpg

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/038484_Gandhi_quote_Facebook_censorship.html#ixzz2GSn7iQlz

If you enjoyed reading about "Facebook bans account for pro-gun quote from Gandhi" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Trent
December 29, 2012, 03:27 PM
I disregarded this earlier this week when I read the infowarz link someone posted up here.

Now that additional reports are coming in from other news... it's lending more credibility.

I make 3-4 pro-gun posts a day on Facebook. Wonder how long it'll take before they nuke my account?

mdemetz
December 29, 2012, 03:41 PM
The only thing I use Facebook for is ads/deals/info from online and local gun supply dealers.

Jorg Nysgerrig
December 29, 2012, 03:46 PM
Now that additional reports are coming in from other news... it's lending more credibility.

What other news? This is just more of the same batch of nutjobs. Infowars and NaturalNews crosspost to each other all the time to appear more legitimate.

Let's apply at little Occam's razor to this, although it is a hell of a leap to consider these things being equal. Which one of these things seems more plausible:

A) Facebook is leading a charge against the 2A amendment but their strategy is to leave hundreds of thousands of personal accounts, gun manufacturers, 2A activist groups, and many others and only targeting a small group of people associated with crazy conspiracies for a posting single image that is much less offensive than hundreds of images posted every day.

B) Something else is going on.

wacki
December 29, 2012, 04:24 PM
link was via drudge.

Thanks for the reality check jorg.

dogtown tom
December 29, 2012, 04:25 PM
Jorg
B) Something else is going on.
My guess is NaturalNews/Infowars/assorted nutjobs took down THEIR OWN Facebook pages just to create a "story".

BCCL
December 29, 2012, 05:07 PM
Just for kicks, I just posted that Gandhi quote on my page, see what happens. :) (I predict nothing)

armedandsafe
December 29, 2012, 07:08 PM
Look at the relative number of "likes", cross-posts and links from those banned pages compared to your own and draw a conclusion. I personally know of individuals who have been banned in that time period for similar posts.

Pops

barnbwt
December 29, 2012, 10:24 PM
Most likely, the Mods at Facebook aren't all gun friendly, and some of them shut down discussions for getting too "political" or "advocatious*" before others. Much like the forums here have varying levels of tolerance by Mods for various subjects.

(I won't post a list of stuff that gets threads shut down to make a point :D)

TCB

*patent-pending

vamo
December 29, 2012, 10:31 PM
What probably happened is the account got robo banned after enough people that disagreed with the post reported it. Not that I at all disagree with the post, just sayin robo bans happen when people abuse report features to punish comments they don't agree with.

texasgun
December 29, 2012, 10:35 PM
something else must have happened here... I have plenty of pro-gun friends on FB (incl. posting plenty of pics shooting their ARs) ... and nobody got banned....

that being said: banning is often completely random and not consistent... so under-paid worker probably made the call...

2RCO
December 29, 2012, 10:48 PM
I wasn't removed from Facebook when I asked all those that supported an AWB to unfriendly me.

Given I acted in haste and should have had a conversation with them first.
It did give me the chance to reason with a couple of anti friends via phonecall.

Warp
December 29, 2012, 10:56 PM
I talk about guns and the 2A all the time on my facebooks. I have a lot of likes for pro 2A orgs, gun manufacturers, etc. I have never noticed anything like this at all

hso
December 29, 2012, 10:59 PM
Utter hog wash.

Cesiumsponge
December 29, 2012, 11:39 PM
Even if it was true, Facebook isn't the government. Their house, their rules.

If you enjoyed reading about "Facebook bans account for pro-gun quote from Gandhi" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!