Is now the time to buy revolvers?

PDA

runnn
December 30, 2012, 04:06 AM
It seems with the impending doom of a AWB in or possible future revolvers have become more affordable. Would you guys say this is the truth in your neck of the woods?

If you enjoyed reading about "Is now the time to buy revolvers?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
lowercase
December 30, 2012, 04:35 AM
I've seen some really nice revolvers in gun shops lately.

I think that at least some of them are trade-ins that came about from people wanting ARs, AKs, ammo, or magazines.

Just one instance is that I saw an almost pristine nickel-plated S&W model 19-4 in the used counter at an LGS going for 500 bucks. I didn't get it because i was over budget for the month, but there are some nice revolver deals floating around right now.

Isaac-1
December 30, 2012, 05:16 AM
It is certainly the time to watch for deals

bainter1212
December 30, 2012, 08:57 AM
I think now is a real good time for haggling with your LGS owner to get the deal you want on a revolver. He's probably making so much money off of selling AR's and AK's right now, he probably won't pucker up too bad if you tell him you'll take it if he knocks $40 off the price.

PabloJ
December 30, 2012, 09:52 AM
It seems with the impending doom of a AWB in or possible future revolvers have become more affordable. Would you guys say this is the truth in your neck of the woods?
Not sure if revolvers are becoming more affordable but I picked up nice 9x19 for very reasonable price.

dreamer56
December 30, 2012, 10:02 AM
"lowercase" notes trade ins but around here everyone seems to be holding tight with what they have - visited 3 shops in the last 2 days and nothing used had come in -

jp9mm
December 30, 2012, 10:39 AM
Ive been watchin revolver sales on gunbroker the past 6 months.
Selling prices have not dropped that much.

Locally, where someone is not 100%aware of the selling value is always the best deal.
Rather than a trend of popularity, i find it more luck of the draw.

RUT
December 30, 2012, 10:50 AM
>>Selling prices have not dropped that much.<<

I don't find them dropping at all. If anything, they're on the rise.

WesM
December 30, 2012, 12:07 PM
I have been looking for a used LCR or Smith J-frame and there are simply none to be found at the pawn shops and gun shops in central MS. They are completely sold out.

bigtubby
December 30, 2012, 12:13 PM
No deals around here guy has a beat up 65 4" and a couple of boxes of ammo for $800.00 with a warning "No lowballers I know what I have"

Old Fuff
December 30, 2012, 12:26 PM
My underwear isn't in a knot over all this gun-ban talk, and it won't be unless I see a likelihood that it can pass in the House, and I don't see that now.

So far as buying revolvers (or any other gun) I will look at the opportunities on an individual basis. A good deal is a good deal regardless of when it happens.

Buy what you need (or simply want) but stockpiling revolvers at this time seems unnecessary.

Keep in mind that individualís right to own and possess firearms in now recognized as a Constitutionally protected right, and as such Congress canít ban it for long.

Atbat82
December 30, 2012, 12:32 PM
I've definitely not seen that around here. I was in 2 LGS Friday and one had literally 3 guns. All Glocks, all over $600.

The other shop was better. The prices were the same as a month ago (except on EBRs). I picked up a used PPS with a holster and 4 mags for a very reasonable price. Revolvers were available, but the prices didn't seem anything special.

Sent from my iPhone

Bush Pilot
December 30, 2012, 02:06 PM
The dealers in my area are in no hurry to discount the few guns that haven't sold, revolvers being no exception.

It's getting annoying, I filled out the paperwork to buy a handgun on Thursday and as of Saturday the feds hadn't called back to release the gun. There were at least a dozen other customers in the same boat :mad:

Guillermo
December 30, 2012, 02:23 PM
No worries Bush Pilot,

If they don't respond it is in your holster Tuesday.

Sure, it sucks that the repugnant system exists...but they only have 3 business days

(3 Days is the Feds idea of "Instant")

PabloJ
December 30, 2012, 02:55 PM
Plenty of revolvers and pistols to choose from at LGS. The prices are about the same as prior to last election.

Remllez
December 30, 2012, 03:12 PM
It's always a good time to buy revolvers......:)

Deer_Freak
December 30, 2012, 03:20 PM
From what I am seeing gun shops are moving their capital into more popular guns.

Alnamvet68
December 30, 2012, 03:40 PM
Internet guns shops have the best prices on S&W revolvers, but it appears the best deals are at stores with no stock. Some even advertise prices higher then can be had at local gun shops, and they're out of stock as well. From my observations, prices of revolvers have been going up steadily over the last year.

Nathanael_Greene
December 30, 2012, 05:21 PM
It's always a good time to buy revolvers......

My thoughts exactly, Remllez!

Clark
December 30, 2012, 06:39 PM
12-1--2011
My brother and I bought a pile of guns and saw a Walker Colt. The guy said he had documentation from an estate and had turned down $250k.
The gun show was crowded

3-24-2012
I bought a Uberti Cattleman 45Colt for $300 and a Sav219 30-30 with scope for $150
The gunshow was relatively empty

6-23-2012
I bought a Rem700ADL 7mmRM for $300
The gun show was relatively empty

11-17-2012
I bought a Colt New Service 45Colt for $550 private sale
The gun show was relatively empty

12-8-2012
I got a Rem 700 7mmRM ADL for $395 + tax
It came with a Leupold 3x9x40 vari x IIc scope
The gun store was relatively empty

12-27-2012
I bought a Colt Army Special 32-20 for $325 + tax
The gun store was so crowded, I had to wait 1/2 hour to fill out form 4473

This the first time I have ever seen a gun store crowded, full of people, on a week day.

Double Vision
December 30, 2012, 07:10 PM
FWIW, I just picked up an ammo can of 38 Spl. ammo. :)

bobbo
December 30, 2012, 07:19 PM
I've been looking at a snub-nose Model 10/64, 12 or 36/60 for a week now. Even since I started looking prices have been going up. I can't find a decent 4" Model 10 for under $350 now. Three years ago, they were plentiful at $269 through dealers. I'll just hold on to my money for now...

velojym
December 30, 2012, 07:25 PM
I'll echo "It's always a good time!" line, as I do love a nice revolver, even though my two carry pieces are autos.

If this travesty passes, I think there'll be two surges: one that we're seeing now, but only stronger, where semiautos with a decent capacity will be even more sought after... and after, when everyone's got "theirs" and everyone has to figure out what they want from the "postban" inventory.
Larger calibers will be again on the rise, as if you're limited to ten, might as well make 'em more effective. Revolvers will probably come back up a bit, as a .357 is pretty darned effective and those have gotten up into the 8 shot range too. I used to have a 7 shot Taurus and liked it a lot.
Then it'll all settle down, and we'll wait for this to be overturned or sunset (I think they'll do whatever they can to avoid a sunset clause this time), or for the next round when they target Grandpa's old bolt-action "High-powered sniper rifle" or the revolvers as "Saturday Night Specials"... they have a nifty demonizing term for any class of weapons, I'd bet, just waiting in the wings until we're fighting for our right to keep and use butter knives and Piers Shears (formerly known as plastic kindergarten scissors)

788Ham
December 31, 2012, 01:26 AM
The last GS i was at, Dec 8 -9, almost all revolvers prices were up, and this is before the feces hit the fan. A lot of guys were selling some, I didn't take any notes, appeared the prices were about $50 - $100 higher than I'd seen before. I picked up a nice 4" Model 15-4 .38 Spl for a reasonable price, all I was after.

Baba Louie
December 31, 2012, 01:55 PM
"Now" is always the best time to buy. They hardly ever get cheaper... do they? Still probably quite a few Police Dept turn ins around, but even the prices on them are climbing.

22-rimfire
December 31, 2012, 02:14 PM
If you have the disposable dollars, yeah, buy. I'm more interested in accessories right now.

MagnumDweeb
December 31, 2012, 02:35 PM
Prices are only going to go up. The gun owning population is growing. The consumer base is growing. I've had over a dozen non-gun owners at my gym about buying from me privately (I've turned each down). I know a dozen more previous not gun owners buying guns. Our population of gunnies is growing folks. The downside will be higher and higher gun prices.

Even if revolvers fall out of favor. The few whom still buy them will face higher and higher prices as factories refocus their manufacturing capabilities to fill the other areas of demand (use it or lose it). There will be fewer and fewer revolvers available for us Wheel Gunners.

Settle in, guns are going to be more expensive for at least another year. I'm using it as a good time to focus even more on reloading (casting my own bullets), and my own small parts production using a buddy's mill (will buy my own 2013). I've got at least six revolvers (3 Model 19s of various make, 1 Model 15-4, 1 Ruger Blackhawk .44 mag 7.5", and 1 Redhawk .44 mag 7.5") collecting dust that I do not shoot. If there is an AWB they'll be worth even more possibly, if not oh well. We all knew, or should have known, this was coming down the pipe one way or the other.

Ala Dan
December 31, 2012, 03:13 PM
Good, ole' used Smiths and Colt revolvers have not seen a reduction in price;
if anything they are on "the rise". Shoot, give me a well taken care of "old
Smith" anyday - thank you very much~! ;) :D

Haywood
December 31, 2012, 09:16 PM
It's also a good time to sell. I sold a 629, 65, and a 442. I got $1350. total. I was happy and so were the buyers.

tomrkba
January 1, 2013, 12:41 AM
http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb425/tomrkba/firearms/revolvers/Smith%20Model%2024/photo-20.jpg
Worked out well...near mint!

RUT
January 1, 2013, 10:24 AM
>>Good, ole' used Smiths and Colt revolvers have not seen a reduction in price;<<

Nor have Rugers for that matter. GPs & Security Six series are going up like mad! :cool:

Ky Larry
January 2, 2013, 08:34 AM
If you have some $$$ in your pocket, it's always a good time to be on the lookout for a deal. You never know what you'll come across.

BigJimP
January 2, 2013, 06:29 PM
Yes, its always a good time to buy - good revolvers...especially Colt and S&W....in my opinion. Prices are sure not going to go down...

wriggly
January 3, 2013, 03:22 AM
I sold a Kel-Tech Sub2000 for double what it cost me a few years ago, and went to the local gun store, and picked up a Ruger LCR and a Taurus 905 today. I normally have no interest in Taurus guns, but the 905 is a sweet little snubby that shoots 9mm, and it headspaces the cartridges on the case mouth, so you can even shoot it without moonclips, you just have to punch em out with a rod, or pick em out with a fingernail. I walked out the door paying just about $50 more than I got for the Sub2000.

skt239
January 3, 2013, 03:27 AM
Right now, from what I'm seeing everything is expensive.

Techsan
January 3, 2013, 11:56 AM
New revolvers are higher right now than they were 4-6 months ago. Couple of months ago I picked up a new S&W 617, and I purchased a new S&W 686 yesterday. Both were higher than what I would have paid earlier in 2012. I'm looking for a S&W 60-14 for the wife and prices on that model seem higher than they should be. I think prices on all firearms, in general, are going up.

RUT
January 3, 2013, 02:05 PM
We'll know we're really in trouble when black powder guns start going up! :p

Jim K
January 3, 2013, 05:39 PM
No, now is the time to buy hi-cap pistols, AW's and magazines. Since it is unlikely that the law will call for actual confiscation those will go up in price a lot more than revolvers which are the least likely handguns to be affected by new laws.

JK

Checkman
January 3, 2013, 11:41 PM
Prices have gone up, but there are still bargains to be had. You just have to be willing to shop around and it helps to get in good with a dealer or two. I've gotten a couple great deals from a local shop over the past couple of years, but I've gotten to know the owner/operator. He gives me the occassional deal and I send people his way.

If you're going to be in the world of shooting for the long haul you have to make connections and engage in a little back scratching. If all you want is a few newer guns then pay the sticker price at Cabelas or Wal-Mart and not worry about it.

I'm to fond of the older Colt and S&W revolvers to do that.

jp9mm
January 6, 2013, 11:40 AM
>>Selling prices have not dropped that much.<<

"I don't find them dropping at all. If anything, they're on the rise."

I said that because some have gone up, some have gone down.
Really depends on the gun. Good deals on blued stuff.

350 for a security six blued, in stainless 450-600

.38's that have newer models handling 357 are undervalued as well...
like my .38 SW 640 SS, should be 450 easy.. instead they are selling around 380.

new guns(in my area) are always hundreds more in store than online.

Dirty Bob
January 9, 2013, 01:06 AM
You might find a deal in a private sale with someone who waited until now to get that semiauto rifle. Now that person is trying to scrape together the money in a hurry, and they're unloading a safe queen or two. Gun shop prices don't seem to have dropped. Why would they? After the last AR and Glock are sold, that .357 in the case will look pretty good to someone who's looking for "a handgun" and sees all the empty racks and displays.

Seriously, if you like revolvers (I do!), this is a great time, as was last year and the year before. I didn't buy my few guns as speculation, but as shooters. Buy what you like!

Regards,
Dirty Bob

4D5
January 9, 2013, 01:40 AM
Any time is a good time to buy a revolver.
Especially a S&W prelock.
And a P&R would be an awesome buy.

Dnaltrop
January 9, 2013, 02:31 PM
The way prices are going up, I can almost sell my Uberti/Taylor's Schofield replica, and buy the real deal now... but I'd be too afraid of finding a pair of Security Sixes, a good 1911, etc etc etc before I found another genuine top break for the money.

I really do love the thing, but it's gone up in value by leaps and bounds from when I picked it up, and mercenary thoughts keep slipping into my head.

Tennessee Jed
January 9, 2013, 06:20 PM
Right now, as mentioned above, I'd stay focused on high-cap semi autos and related components.

When Clinton's AWB went into effect in '94, I paid for a new Ruger Vaquero 44 mag by selling three Glock 13 round mags and one foreign make 22 round mag for a Glock.

Stealthbobber06
January 10, 2013, 11:06 AM
I bought a Taurus Sat. for $350 here in PENSACOLA.....was the last one they had.......38 five shot model 85 ul....they were real low on stock

MagnunJoe
January 27, 2013, 04:21 PM
My local Gun shops have very little besides revolvers & 1911. Prices remain reasonable.

RUT
January 27, 2013, 05:13 PM
>>My local Gun shops have very little besides revolvers & 1911<<

Th gun shops I go to have very few revolvers period. Funny how they've suddenly gotten popular. ;)

JVaughn
January 27, 2013, 05:23 PM
I've been watching, but only seen one "deal" recently on revolvers. Seems anything that goes bang is at the very least, bringing retail prices around here.

GWARGHOUL
January 27, 2013, 07:31 PM
FWIW, I just picked up an ammo can of 38 Spl. ammo.

Where? I would love to find some .38 special bulk.

460Kodiak
January 28, 2013, 02:19 PM
Is it ever not the time to buy revolvers?

JoelSteinbach
January 28, 2013, 11:10 PM
iTS ALWAYS THE TIME TO BUY REVOLVERFS, when you hit a certasin age, you have too much trouble looking for you brass

If you enjoyed reading about "Is now the time to buy revolvers?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!