How much 7.62x39?

PDA

TAKtical
December 30, 2012, 03:08 AM
How plentiful is 7.62x39? I have recently started to love this caliber and Im constantly hearing about how the surplus is "drying up". Is there any truth to that? I know a lot of places are out of stock because of the panic but are the days of bulk surplus ammo really coming to an end?

If you enjoyed reading about "How much 7.62x39?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Davek1977
December 30, 2012, 03:22 AM
Yes and no There really isn't a whole lot of "surplus" ammo on the market these days. A few years back Yugo M67 was widely available, but that was the last major batch of surplus to hit our shores. There is a lot of Wolf, Tula, and other Russian ammo imported each year, but those are sold as commercial ammo and are not considered "surplus".

Ryanxia
December 30, 2012, 07:55 AM
I don't know about the surplus but the commercial stuff is pretty cheap. Even with all this going on I'm still buying the Tula (steel cased unfortunately) for $250/1,000 rounds.

hso
December 30, 2012, 08:34 AM
Surplus is pretty much history (pun intended), but as pointed out there's tons being produced today from those same factories.

x_wrench
December 30, 2012, 08:42 AM
i guess it depends on how much you shoot, and how afraid you are that the shi* is going to hit the fan. personally, i would think 4 or 5 "spam cans" minimum. and go up from there. the nice thing about those is if they are stored even half way decently, they will last 3 times longer than you will, providing you are 20, and will live to see your 100th birthday. in other words, almost indefinitely. if you shoot a lot, figure an estimate of what you shoot per year, and buy up an additional 3 years worth. that will give you ample time to find more, or take up reloading.

Neo-Luddite
December 30, 2012, 11:14 AM
25 years ago, 7.62 x 39 Soviet was uncommon or niche here; now it is mainstream and most US makers also produce ammo. For me, I shoot the Wolf hollow point 'military classic' and have had 0 failures in my AK or SKS's. Cheap and if foreihgn sources dry up, as said, it's here to stay. Now if you go 5.45 x 39 Soviet....BUY THE AMMO UP FRONT as that is much like the 7.62 was 30 years ago--few domestic sources.

Isaac-1
December 30, 2012, 11:45 AM
Surplus ammo does still show up, just in smaller batches and not too often, part of this may be the banning on import of steel core ammo.

TAKtical
December 30, 2012, 11:56 AM
Thanks guys. I was led to believe that any ammo sold in spam cans was surplus so thanks for straightening that out for me. I guess its doesnt really matter if the surplus is disappearing since Tula and others are still producing and selling for cheap.

If you enjoyed reading about "How much 7.62x39?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!