870's - fire resistant?

PDA

9mmMike
February 1, 2003, 09:22 PM
So let's say that I have an 870 receiver that was in a house fire. It got hot enough to ruin the temper of the firing pin spring & melt the trigger guard. The shell latches and ejector still feel springy. Is the receiver trashed?
How can I tell?
Thanks,
Mike

If you enjoyed reading about "870's - fire resistant?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HSMITH
February 1, 2003, 10:30 PM
It is GONE, throw it away. Never EVER shoot a gun that was in a fire. With an 870 it probably won't blow up and hurt you but it could.The bolt locks into the barrel and the reciever is only there to support the parts while in motion but the carrier IS supported by the reciever rails. The carrier is what the bolt cams against to lock. I would NEVER shoot a gun that has been in a fire.

9mmMike
February 1, 2003, 11:36 PM
No hope of repair? That's a real shame. How are those receivers made? Are they stamped or forged or cast or what?
Thanks for the scoop.
Mike

HSMITH
February 1, 2003, 11:47 PM
The 870 reciever is forged to the best of my knowledge. No hope of repair, sorry. Besides, they really are not worth a lot to begin with.

DeBee
February 2, 2003, 03:07 AM
Oh man that is a shame- guns in a fire- what a nightmare... Melted triggerguard? Damned aluminum parts...

Fortunately, it wasn't a Hoffman Drop Box Double Square Bridged Mauser in .375 H&H replete with engraving and an exhibition chunk of French Walnut...

Make a paper weight out of it and get a used one for $150 and customize it! I'm thinking a green parked 18" IC barrel with a Speed feed shorty stock and forend with a 1 round extension and Wilson Ghost ring sights...

mete
February 2, 2003, 01:52 PM
Melted trigger guard ? aluminum melts at about 900 F which means you have annealed all the steel parts .Dump it, do not try to salvage any parts !!

romulus
February 2, 2003, 02:30 PM
Actually 9mmMike hasn't told us if he has an aluminum trigger guard or one of the more recent plastic ones (last five years or so)...

DeBee
February 2, 2003, 05:17 PM
If it was a plastic one, I'd burn it anyway...

HSMITH
February 2, 2003, 07:44 PM
Same here, it is junk and there are no options IMO.

9mmMike
February 2, 2003, 07:49 PM
Thanks everyone. This kind of expertise is invaluable. Kinda reminds me of the old site, what was it called.............?
TFL perhaps? ;)
Mike

Kahr carrier
February 5, 2003, 08:37 AM
Fire 870 RIP.:(

If you enjoyed reading about "870's - fire resistant?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!