Dianne DeGette (D, CO) to Introduce Magazine Ban in the House

PDA

Justin
December 30, 2012, 12:15 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/28/high-capacity-magazines-bill_n_2376838.html

WASHINGTON -- House Democrats will introduce legislation to ban the production of high-capacity magazines on the first day of the next congressional session, the office of Rep. Diana DeGette (D-Colo.), one of the lawmakers sponsoring the bill, told The Huffington Post.

The Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act will mirror a failed bill introduced during the 112th Congress. Its authors hope that in the wake of the shooting deaths of 20 first grade students in Newtown, Conn., there will be heightened political urgency to act when it is reintroduced on Jan. 3.

I find the following quote from DeGette extremely telling:

"I'm not so naïve as to think that we can pass some law that will stop a deranged person from taking a gun and shooting people," DeGette told The Huffington Post two weeks ago. "What I am interested in is making it as difficult as possible for that deranged person to shoot as many people as possible."

I love how she openly admits that her proposal won't actually solve anything.

If you haven't already, it's time to warm up your word processing software, folks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dianne DeGette (D, CO) to Introduce Magazine Ban in the House" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tim the student
December 30, 2012, 12:19 PM
I will be sending emails later today when I get back home.

Sometimes I wish I wasn't on THR so I could cuss more...

Pilot
December 30, 2012, 12:28 PM
Coloradans should be so proud, what with Hickenlooper and all.

More political grandstanding to get her name in the media and make it look like she's "doing something". It has a snowball's chance in Hell.

we are not amused
December 30, 2012, 12:46 PM
Members of this forum (in her district) should call her office and inform her she will be facing a primary fight. Also contact the Colorado Democrat party and inform them she does not represent your interest and you intend to back challengers in the primary.

SuperNaut
December 30, 2012, 12:55 PM
Also here is her Facebook page address:

https://www.facebook.com/DianaDeGette?ref=tshttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FDianaDeGette%3Fref%3Dts

Politely and respectfully let her know your thoughts.

Gato Montés
December 30, 2012, 01:21 PM
Gotta love the name; The Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act.

The anti's really Really REALLY go out of their way to not use the term magazine. Supposed it would admit some sort of ignorance for their inferior semantics for all these years.

Geneseo1911
December 30, 2012, 01:32 PM
IMO, this is the one to worry about. They are looking for the most they can get past the House, and this is it. I don't know if it can pass, but it probably depend on which side can make the most noise and flash the most cash. We need to keep an eye on it, and kill it in committee if at all possible.

Ebbshot
December 30, 2012, 01:58 PM
I agree that it's the one to watch, I just don't see this going anywhere though. The political will is nill right now. Other than Obama trying to revive it a bit this morning on Meet the Press, the country is now focused on fiscal cliff issues. The most likely scenario for passage would be if they split up the long guns and hand guns and limited long guns to no more than 10 rounds, or if they put a cap on 20 rounds for all guns. The public's handgun approval rating north of 70% puts a damper on any kind of proposed restrictions on standard 15 round magazines like you'd find in a 9mm.

MachIVshooter
December 30, 2012, 02:26 PM
She's not a senator, she's a house rep. While this bill is much less aggressive than Feinstein's, it's being introduced in a Republican controlled house. Beohner and Cantor may not even let it hit the floor for a vote.

Keep pressure on the congresscritters to kill this crap.

Justin
December 30, 2012, 03:18 PM
Feinstein's bill asks for everything short of outright door-to-door confiscation.

I suspect this bill will be floated as "the compromise."

I'm thoroughly dismayed at the notion that prohibiting future generations from exercising a civil right is considered to be an acceptable compromise by some people.

AlexanderA
December 30, 2012, 03:30 PM
Gotta love the name; The Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act.

The anti's really Really REALLY go out of their way to not use the term magazine.

They're not just going after "magazines." The plan also includes belts, links, and feed strips. Feed strips! (Such as those used in the 1909 Benet-Mercie Machine Rifle.)

Since one link only holds two rounds at the most, I guess if you link up 10 rounds it's OK, but if you link up 11 or more it's verboten? Ridiculous! These people are nitwits.

XD Fan
December 30, 2012, 04:27 PM
Just wrote my senators and rep about this one. Will be calling this week.

Justin
December 30, 2012, 04:30 PM
They're not just going after "magazines." The plan also includes belts, links, and feed strips. Feed strips! (Such as those used in the 1909 Benet-Mercie Machine Rifle.)

Since one link only holds two rounds at the most, I guess if you link up 10 rounds it's OK, but if you link up 11 or more it's verboten? Ridiculous! These people are nitwits.

One wonders how they intend to stamp a fifteen-word legal disclaimer and serial number on ammunition links.

The mind positively boggles.

blarby
December 30, 2012, 04:32 PM
Microstamping !

They finally found a use for it !

Justin
December 30, 2012, 04:32 PM
Don't give these idiots any ideas.

Mosbyranger
December 30, 2012, 05:01 PM
DeGette represents the Peoples Republic of Denver, so there is 0 chance of her not being re-elected. I did contact my Representative (Scott Tipton) to urge him to scuttle any more gun control schemes. I will also contact Colorado Senators Benett and Udall, but they are spineless back benchers who will do EXACTLY as Chuck Schumer tells them. Hard days ahead for us.
MR

MachIVshooter
December 30, 2012, 05:20 PM
DeGette represents the Peoples Republic of Denver, so there is 0 chance of her not being re-elected.

Pretty much. I think she garnered 74% of the vote in her district. Even a significant loss of support is not going to be enough to unseat her.

I will also contact Colorado Senators Benett and Udall, but they are spineless back benchers who will do EXACTLY as Chuck Schumer tells them.

It's conceivable that Bennett can be brought around. Enough letters/calls/emails reminding him that a lot of pro gun independents and democrats got him in (and can get him out) may make him see the light. He didn't win by much last time, and outside of Denver or Boulder, democrats and democrat-leaning independents in this state are not the same group as left coast liberals. His victory was not so much a win by him, but a loss by Ken Buck for running a crappy campaign and not wiping of the mud that was slung on him. He won by less than 30,000 votes out of 1.7 million.

Udall is probably lost cause. He prides himself as a bipartisan critter, but he's a Boulder liberal and still votes like a "safe district" house rep. It may cost him, but it's unlikely that he'll be swayed. He is up for a race in 2014, though, so we should keep the pressure on. It never hurts to remind of the losses in 1996 as a direct result of gun control during a period that was less pro-gun and much more confident in government than we are today.

BK
December 30, 2012, 06:02 PM
will mirror a failed bill introduced during the 112th Congress.
Anyone know the name of that one? Got a link to the text?

wacki
December 30, 2012, 06:41 PM
Anyone got a compilation of NRA and pro-capacity ratings for the house?

I'm just trying to make predictions on how well we are protected.

pendennis
December 30, 2012, 06:45 PM
People like DeGette get a lot of ink because they "care". However, the Democrats are a minority in the House, and the Speaker and Majority leaders pretty much control the agenda. She'll be lucky to get a sub-committee, or committee hearing before the end of the current term.

mokin
December 30, 2012, 06:53 PM
Nice post MachIV. I think Colorado is still pretty "purple". I contacted Tipton, Udall and Bennet today.

Leanwolf
December 30, 2012, 06:54 PM
JUSTIN - "Feinstein's bill asks for everything short of outright door-to-door confiscation."

Confiscation is next on the list of that monstrous ghoul's plans, just as it is with all her comrades in D.C.

L.W.

MachIVshooter
December 30, 2012, 07:03 PM
I think Colorado is still pretty "purple".

It is. The influx of Californians and hispanics has tipped the balance in recent elections, but it's not hopeless yet. The state-wide races have been fairly close for a long, long time. Hickenlooper didn't win by a landslide when you consider that the race was over before it started thanks to Maes being an arrogant, selfish prick who wouldn't bow out even when he knew he had ZERO chance of winning. Hick got 51.01%. If Maes had gone away, it would have been a coin toss between Tancredo and Hickenlooper, as quite a few conservatives didn't bother to vote, knowing that neither Tancredo or Maes could win, since they were splitting the vote.

BK
December 30, 2012, 07:19 PM
This might just be a play by the Democrats by purposefully submitting this into the Republican controlled house so that its loss can help them paint the conservatives as uncaring in regards to the children murdered in Newtown. They might well be expecting this to fail and are hoping to use the Republican efforts and votes in 2014 campaign ads.

Slipknot_Slim
December 30, 2012, 07:21 PM
Anyone know the name of that one? Got a link to the text?
It could be this one...

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/hr308/text

BK
December 30, 2012, 07:26 PM
Yesir, just found it too.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112s32is/pdf/BILLS-112s32is.pdf

The term ‘large capacity ammunition feeding device’—

‘‘(A) means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition;

(b) PROHIBITIONS.—Section 922 of such title is amended by inserting after subsection (u) the following:

‘‘(v)(1)(A)(i) Except as provided in clause (ii), it shall be unlawful for a person to transfer or possess a large capacity ammunition feeding device.

‘‘(ii) Clause (i) shall not apply to the possession of a large capacity ammunition feeding device otherwise lawfully possessed within the United States on or before the date of the enactment of this subsection.

gc70
December 30, 2012, 07:35 PM
Feinstein's bill asks for everything short of outright door-to-door confiscation.

Feinstein's bill does not include door-to-door confiscation, but it does include funeral-to-funeral confiscation. Under Feinstein's bill, the ATF would probably monitor obituaries to make sure that non-transferable "assault weapons" owned by the deceased were promptly forfeited.

AlexanderA
December 30, 2012, 08:51 PM
Feinstein's bill does not include door-to-door confiscation, but it does include funeral-to-funeral confiscation. Under Feinstein's bill, the ATF would probably monitor obituaries to make sure that non-transferable "assault weapons" owned by the deceased were promptly forfeited.

That sort of confiscation would be totally unenforcable, since the "owner of record" would be dead, and the unknown persons in possession would have no incentive to turn anything in. And if there was confiscation, there would have to be fair compensation under the 5th Amendment.

Not having read the legislative language (since it's not available yet), and going just by the summary on Feinstein's website, I don't think that the plan includes confiscation on death. Reading the summary, it appears that transfers would follow the existing NFA rules, that is, free re-registration to a lawful heir. The way I read it, non-transferability would apply to items not registered. It's still a terrible piece of legislation, in any case.

sgtstryker
December 30, 2012, 10:25 PM
Well, I have contacted my Senator and Representative regarding any new bills that may be brought forth. However, my Rep. is Sanford Bishop, a true Democrat and rubber stamp for the party leaders. He was the tying vote on the 1994 law, but has consistently been rated good by the NRA. He attempts to appear conservative when need be, but votes along party lines everytime.

blkbrd666
December 30, 2012, 10:28 PM
What I read said that after death the items became government property. Of course, I don't see how they can enforce that because I'm sure no one would actually voluntarily register their collection.

AlexanderA
December 31, 2012, 12:11 AM
I'm sure no one would actually voluntarily register their collection.

I heard a lot of similar sentiments around the time of the 1968 machine gun amnesty. Those that registered their machine guns now have things worth fortunes; those that didn't, now have contraband items that are worthless and useless, because they can never see the light of day. Something to keep in mind.

MErl
December 31, 2012, 12:54 AM
I heard a lot of similar sentiments around the time of the 1968 machine gun amnesty. Those that registered their machine guns now have things worth fortunes; those that didn't, now have contraband items that are worthless and useless, because they can never see the light of day. Something to keep in mind.

Depends quite a bit on whether what you are registering is transferable. If there had been a clause in 1968 that they had to be registered but cold not be transferred, everything there would be worthless.

Have the courts ruled on whether restricting sale/transfer of an item is deprivation of property? If the value of a thing is what that thing will bring, and it now by law can bring nothing, I'd say there is deprivation.

coloradokevin
December 31, 2012, 01:40 AM
DeGette is an embarrassment to Colorado. We are definitely shifting toward being a blue state these days, thanks to the influx of new residents who don't value the same things that long time residents of this state do.

It still amazes me that people (even some here on THR) didn't see this move coming after this year's election cycle. I heard people repeatedly stated that "Obama hasn't tried to implement any new laws against guns", and other such statements. We haven't even made it past the inauguration for Obama's second term and he, along with his Democrat allies, are already moving in the direction of the greatest attacks on gun ownership since the 1994 AWB. How did anyone REALLY not see this coming?

I honestly believe that the gun-grabbers in Washington didn't move hard after the Aurora shooting because they knew an election was imminent. But, with the speed and ferocity with which things have developed in the last couple of weeks, I have to imagine that they were just waiting for the next noteworthy incident of violence to happen so that they could put the wheels in motion to capitalize on this issue. It really is despicable that they've politicized an incident like Newtown, but I'm not the least bit surprised by it.

Here's a partial quote from a CNN article on this subject today:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/30/politics/obama-meet-the-press/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

The president also spoke about his second term and what he wants to accomplish. Here are highlights of what he said:

Gun control after the Newtown killings

"Something fundamental in America has to change," said Obama, who visited on December 16 with families of victims of the Newtown, Connecticut, school shootings.

The president said Sunday he will put forth a proposal next year to change firearm laws. Among the things the legislation will address are assault-style rifles, high-capacity ammunition magazines and background checks on all firearm sales.

His comments echoed those made five days after the shootings in Newtown, where a gunman killed his mother at home, then 20 children and six adults at an elementary school.

Obama said he hopes that the Newtown killings spur Americans to take action and not let the shootings feel like "one of those routine episodes," the emotions of which fade with memory.

""It certainly won't feel like that to me. This is something that, you know, that was the worst day of my presidency," he said.

The president said he wanted to listen to all the parties involved in the gun control debate but was skeptical about the National Rifle Association's call to put armed guards in every school as the only solution.

Obama said December 19 that a task force led by Vice President Joe Biden will have legislative recommendations in January.

rondog
December 31, 2012, 01:44 AM
Yeah, we're real proud of her here in CO. Not. Probably about as proud of her as CA is of Feinstein and Pelosi.

postalnut25
December 31, 2012, 01:53 AM
Unfortunately, I live in Degette's district. Not for long, though, as I am having a house built in the district that Mike Coffman represents.

However, I will contact her office and voice my displeasure as a resident of her district, and as a police officer and military reservist. Even though my opinion might not matter to her because I am not a member of any protected class.

MachIVshooter
December 31, 2012, 01:56 AM
Yeah, we're real proud of her here in CO. Not. Probably about as proud of her as CA is of Feinstein and Pelosi.

Yup. My love of this state stops where the political landscape starts. Fortunately we're still a pretty darned free state, but if we don't stop sending urban liberals to the governor's mansion and federal congress, that's gonna change.

Personally, if that happens, I motion for Elbert county to secede :evil: 1840 sqaure miles of rural paradise for freedom loving folks!

I am having a house built in the district that Mike Coffman represents

Which county?

Recon Ron
December 31, 2012, 02:06 AM
Posted on her page, respectfully.

Justin
December 31, 2012, 02:22 AM
Personally, if that happens, I motion for Elbert county to secede 1840 sqaure miles of rural paradise for freedom loving folks!

That wouldn't be too far of a commute...

postalnut25
December 31, 2012, 02:30 AM
Yup. My love of this state stops where the political landscape starts. Fortunately we're still a pretty darned free state, but if we don't stop sending urban liberals to the governor's mansion and federal congress, that's gonna change.

Personally, if that happens, I motion for Elbert county to secede :evil: 1840 sqaure miles of rural paradise for freedom loving folks!

Which county?
District Six, Eastern Adams County

We tried to get something down south around Elizabeth, by you, but no houses made the wife happy.

And, as many people on this forum know: Happy Wife=Happy Life!

barnbwt
December 31, 2012, 02:35 AM
I love how she openly admits that her proposal won't actually solve anything.

Mr. Obama said as much Himself in his sermon immediately after the shooting:
No single law -- no set of laws can eliminate evil from the world, or prevent every senseless act of violence in our society.

*beat*

But that can’t be an excuse for inaction.

So why exactly are we passing these laws, if not for the children..?

TCB

MachIVshooter
December 31, 2012, 04:54 AM
Eastern Adams County

Eastern Adams looks pretty much like Elbert. Unfortunately, though, Adams is much like Arapahoe in terms of local government. My wife used to work for the Adams county jail as a nurse; A lot of the arrestees suffered "accidents" while being taken into custody. My recommendation is don't cross them!

I've lived in Boulder county, Denver County, Araphoe and Douglas. Elbert was a very conscious decision for permanent residence. We've had some corruption issues with commissioners, but the government out here pretty much just lets people live their lives how they want to, so long as you're not hurting anyone.

alsaqr
December 31, 2012, 05:26 AM
Every year some dedicated anti-gun blissninnie introduces a "high capacity" magazine ban in the US congress. It never goes anywhere.

Jon Coppenbarger
December 31, 2012, 05:34 AM
They are talking about doing the same thing at a state level here in colorado. well since I am retired if it happens to pas only here.
I will move to wyoming and right on the border next to colorado and I should open a high cap mag store right next to the firework stores.

postalnut25
December 31, 2012, 05:39 AM
^^^^
Nice! Only 90 minutes from Denver. We could all make that drive easily.

Granted, Cheyenne is 90 minutes from Denver, but it is a world apart in so many ways.

Slipknot_Slim
December 31, 2012, 08:13 AM
Mr. Obama said as much Himself in his sermon immediately after the shooting:

So why exactly are we passing these laws, if not for the children..?

TCB
Well, thankfully they aren't passing laws (at least not that many). They introduce legislation to give the appearance of doing something. The public's approval rating for members of congress is at an all time low.

On the knowledge that it's only a matter of time before another event takes place, they introduce legislation that goes nowhere. When the event takes place, they can announce that they introduced legislation that might have prevented the event or reduced the magnitude, but their esteemed colleagues on the other side of the aisle blocked the legislation from moving forward.

In short, it's all political posturing.

longknife12
December 31, 2012, 09:35 AM
Been in Jefferson Co for 38 years, it isn't getting better!
Dan
:mad:

Pilot
December 31, 2012, 10:31 AM
Just read her bio. Typical liberal "feminist", activist type. Another community organizing, anti (legal) gun Marxist. Why do city people vote for these Bolsheviks. :confused:

NelsErik
December 31, 2012, 12:24 PM
http://docthompsonshow.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/email-from-cap-hill.jpg?w=910

The deal has already been made in the House. The Republicans are going to cave...

HOWARD J
December 31, 2012, 12:31 PM
My congress people say "" inaction is not an option""
Do not trust this government---they are the enemy especially Feinstein & her DC buddy.

SuperNaut
December 31, 2012, 01:31 PM
The deal has already been made in the House. The Republicans are going to cave...
If so, it is a stark reminder as to why we need to focus our efforts on the courts, Alan Gura, and the NRA-ILA.

barnbwt
January 1, 2013, 01:29 PM
NelsErik,
Are those Congress Critters, or just random staffers (or worse yet, random anonymous sources)? It looks like FOIA scan of an email, but without a source, well, those in the email chain could just be one of us ;). The supposed "bipartisan" support sounds incredibly half-hearted, at best.

My congress people say " inaction is not an option"

There isn't much need for their positions if they aren't passing laws, so don't hold that against them. The goal is to direct their focus to areas where passing laws can actually accomplish something.

CONTACT YOUR REPS!

TCB

Slipknot_Slim
January 3, 2013, 07:06 AM
Any chance that this legislation will be hidden in the Hurricane Sandy relief bill that Republican politicians from the northeast are all up in arms about? Boehner caught a lot of flak from Christie and King because the relief bill was held up. Could this legislation be the real reason that it was?

Carl N. Brown
January 3, 2013, 08:48 AM
... if there was confiscation, there would have to be fair compensation under the 5th Amendment.

have to be fair compensation?

According to several proclamations by anti-gun politicians, under an assault weapons confiscation in the U.S., privately owned assault weapons would be treated as contraband forfeit to the state without compensation.

If they have their way, there will not be a buy-out of lawfully owned weapons as was done in Australia in 1996, when 640,000 registered semi-auto and pump-action long guns were ordered turned in by the Howard government. Aussies who complied were treated as lawabiding citizens with legally owned property and were compensated with a fair market price. That OZ program cost over a billion dollars in a tax that hurt health funds. Just compensation to American gun owners in a buy-out would be tens of billions not findable in the current economy.

Bottom line: some of our antis have already promised that banned weapons would be treated as contraband to be forfeit to the state without compensation.

Kubrick
January 3, 2013, 06:38 PM
http://www.salon.com/2013/01/03/dems_introduce_high_capacity_magazine_ban_in_the_house/

KMatch
January 3, 2013, 06:43 PM
And I've to go take a walk to get my back in line after reading that slant in reporting... "Modified" to accept more ammo?? Reps bending over?

RX-178
January 3, 2013, 07:14 PM
No H.R. #? Name?

Skribs
January 3, 2013, 07:32 PM
I have sent money to the NRA-ILA and written to my senators. Unfortunately the only senator I heard back from was using poser catch-phrases like "I respect the 2A but..."

I'm hoping a ban doesn't pass, but at the same time mentally preparing for how my purchasing plans will change should one pass. Already have plans for handguns, not sure what I'll do about long guns, though.

Slipknot_Slim
January 3, 2013, 07:32 PM
No H.R. #? Name?
I can't find it either. I checked Thomas under her name. Nothing.

Ms_Dragon
January 3, 2013, 07:33 PM
Laughing at the reference of "fair market price" given to Australian gun owners.

What a crock.

RX-178
January 3, 2013, 07:43 PM
I don't doubt that it was introduced, but all I can find are repostings of the same Salon story.

Slipknot_Slim
January 3, 2013, 07:59 PM
I don't doubt that it was introduced, but all I can find are repostings of the same Salon story.
I can't find any record of any bills being introduced in the House today. Not one. I think most of the day was spent getting the speaker reelected. These folks really don't work a lot of overtime if they can help it.

RX-178
January 3, 2013, 08:02 PM
I would be more inclined to believe that they just haven't been updated onto the website yet, but I honestly don't know either way.

Slipknot_Slim
January 3, 2013, 08:07 PM
I would be more inclined to believe that they just haven't been updated onto the website yet, but I honestly don't know either way.
You could be right. Still, in the days of the internet and instant news, you would think it would be somewhere. Tomorrow will tell.

RX-178
January 3, 2013, 08:11 PM
It seems that the Salon article is a republication of a press release on DeGette's website. The website says that the official name is/would be 'High Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act'

gc70
January 3, 2013, 08:14 PM
Check www.thomas.gov tomorrow. Thomas flipped from the 112th Congress to the 113th Congress at noon today. Members of Congress just drop bills in the hopper and they get posted to the internet the next day (usually).

primalmu
January 3, 2013, 08:21 PM
Just checked out the Floor Proceedings for the day on the House.gov website. Looks like it was just a bunch of bureaucratic nonsense today.

http://clerk.house.gov/floorsummary/floor.aspx

HDCamel
January 4, 2013, 12:31 AM
Anyone else feel like this is the bill to beat?
If this doesn't pass, then Feinsteins's doesn't have a chance, no matter how much they water it down.

Combine this with the fact that many school districts are taking the advice of the NRA by working more closely with the police and some are even considering allowing teachers to Concealed Carry, as well as the enormous pro-gun/anti-anti-gun grassroots movement that has been born on the internet, then it really looks like we have a shot.

This is the Battle of the Bulge, folks. If we get a resounding victory here, then it could very well be the death blow to the gun-grabber movement. If recent events aren't enough to sway the public into giving up their rights, then nothing is.

As long as we remain vigilant and let our reps know that supporting a bill like this is political suicide, we can get through this.

JTHunter
January 4, 2013, 12:51 AM
You folks may think Colorado is bad but these CRETINS here in Illinois have already passed multiple bills out of the Senate Safety Committee to the full senate that, if passed, will even ban pump shotguns & rifles, ANY rifle with a detachable magazine, INCLUDING the Remington 7400.
This is all being pushed "downstate" by the #@$%&!! in Chicago!!

barnbwt
January 4, 2013, 12:52 AM
Combine this with the fact that many school districts are taking the advice of the NRA by working more closely with the police and some are even considering allowing teachers to Concealed Carry, as well as the enormous pro-gun/anti-anti-gun grassroots movement that has been born on the internet, then it really looks like we have a shot.

This is the Battle of the Bulge, folks. If we get a resounding victory here, then it could very well be the death blow to the gun-grabber movement. If recent events aren't enough to sway the public into giving up their rights, then nothing is

It would be quite ironic (and justly so) if the Gun Movement (whatever that is) ends up ahead of the game after all this. It'll be the first time the country has reacted properly to a firearms-centric tragedy. As far as a death blow, they were pretty much dead already (IIRC, the Brady Campaign spent a whopping $5000 on the last election), but they will never truly go away. The best we can do is beat them back to the irrelevance of the fringe parties no one takes seriously. Force them to hook up with the Green Party to get their support (and I mean no offense to the Green Party :))

This is all being pushed "downstate" by the #@$%&!! in Chicago!!
Any marches planned? Email/letter writing campaigns? They can only pull this off if people let them (granted, it's harder to fight back in Chicago, but not impossible--even there). I remember the AWB your governor tried to slip through under the radar some months back--it was caught, and firmly squashed. No reason a similar response wouldn't work here as well (especially since that law would seem to blatantly violate a SCOTUS ruling)

TCB

gc70
January 4, 2013, 01:38 AM
Anyone else feel like this is the bill to beat?
If this doesn't pass, then Feinsteins's doesn't have a chance, no matter how much they water it down.

Magazine limits and background checks poll well with the general public, so those are the bills to defeat.

Unless substantially changed from the versions introduced in the last (112th) Congress, both bills will contain horrendously sneaky language that make them far more dangerous than they appear on the surface.

The previous mag limit bill (http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112hr308ih/pdf/BILLS-112hr308ih.pdf) would have made it "unlawful for a person to transfer or possess a large capacity ammunition feeding device." The possession of previously owned mags would have been grandfathered, but there was no exception for transfers of previously owned mags. In short, you could keep the mags you own, but not sell them and they would presumably by forfeited to the government as contraband when you died.

The previous background check bill (http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112s436is/pdf/BILLS-112s436is.pdf) would have extended "Brady Law background check procedures to all sales and transfers of firearms." Ominously, the bill includes limited and specific exceptions (at certain shooting ranges and competitions and when hunting) from the background check requirements for the "temporary transfer of possession without transfer of title." Since you can't have an exception to a rule without having a rule, it would appear that the intent of the bill is to generally require background checks for temporary transfers of possession, such as letting a buddy shoot one of your guns on your property.

RX-178
January 4, 2013, 01:54 PM
Here's the bill numbers, now online at thomas.

H.R.137

H.R.138

H.R.141

H.R.142

JTHunter
January 6, 2013, 01:39 AM
barnbwt - I don't know if there are any marches planned but I have been trying to call the legislators for my area. All I get are recordings or no answer. The House of Reps. is due to reconvene about 5 p.m. Sunday the 6th.
From what I understand, they are being flooded with calls against this despicable action.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dianne DeGette (D, CO) to Introduce Magazine Ban in the House" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!