Who has contacted their Reps?

PDA

freyasman
December 30, 2012, 11:49 AM
Not sure if this thread belongs here or GD, but here goes...
ROLL CALL
Who has contacted their representatives?
Why or why not?

If you enjoyed reading about "Who has contacted their Reps?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wow6599
December 30, 2012, 12:08 PM
Done. (Missouri)

Green Lantern
December 30, 2012, 12:37 PM
Yes (NC)

Why? Can't afford NOT to!

Sen. Burr should be a lock on our side, as well as new Rep. Meadows. I think it highly likely Sen Hagan is a lost cause, she says she's for the 2A but acts like she thinks it's about Hunting. :roll: HOWEVER, I think her term is up in 2014, so mayyybe.... At any rate, I'm gonna keep on it!

Geneseo1911
December 30, 2012, 12:54 PM
I have contacted all my reps both at the State and Federal levels. I will write them again when anything is up for a floor vote or a vote in any committee they sit on. Both my Senators will vote for any gun restrictions they get a chance to, but I wrote them anyway. My Congressman is solid.

snakeman
December 30, 2012, 01:00 PM
Done, TX

esheato
December 30, 2012, 01:25 PM
Wrote Feinstein and the rest of my people in CA.

2RCO
December 30, 2012, 01:34 PM
I wrote out emails to everyone I could and I'm going to call as many as I can.

In MO if we can get Claire McCaskill to get off the anti train it would be nice.
I'm likely dreaming here but I'm exerting what influence I have.

Make sure everyone you know contacts there Senators and Reps.

mljdeckard
December 30, 2012, 01:38 PM
If my reps were McCaskill and Feinstein, I wouldn't bother.

avs11054
December 30, 2012, 01:42 PM
I wrote McCain and Rep. Grijalva. I could not figure out how to contact Jeff Flake. His House site is only for his district and I'm not sure how to contact him as a Senator, as I couldn't find a Senate site for him yet.

I also contacted Boehner and McConnell urging them to encourage Republicans and pro-gun democrats in their respective chambers to vote against any gun control legislation.

seal
December 30, 2012, 01:43 PM
contacted mine here in texas

jk.308
December 30, 2012, 04:36 PM
contacted mine in WV

61Woody
December 30, 2012, 04:47 PM
Done here in Iowa, but even Grassley seems to be waivering. On the home front the Gov says he is not looking at any new laws.

JVaughn
December 30, 2012, 05:04 PM
Done, Feds, State, and Pres - 3 times each so far in the last week, on slightly different issues all surrounding the anit-gun agenda. It's all we can do: write, write, write. Keep at it and never give up. If they pass a weapons ban, I will write every week to try to get it eliminated. Never stop, never go quiet.

esheato
December 30, 2012, 05:06 PM
I'm a bit disconcerted that this thread doesn't have 300 responses yet.

GiorgioG
December 30, 2012, 05:09 PM
Done...several times this week.

mcdonl
December 30, 2012, 05:10 PM
Done in Maine. There is not a lot we can do so we should not pass on the opportunities we do get to make our voices heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gilfo
December 30, 2012, 05:11 PM
Done in FLA

Chevelle SS
December 30, 2012, 05:12 PM
Not yet :o :(

Boostedtwo
December 30, 2012, 05:13 PM
Done, Indiana

almherdfan
December 30, 2012, 05:17 PM
Yes-in Wild, Wonderful WV

mokin
December 30, 2012, 05:34 PM
Done!

Red is Dead
December 30, 2012, 05:46 PM
Done in Nebraska

jimmyraythomason
December 30, 2012, 05:49 PM
Done in Alabama,even though we have very pro-gun legislators.

bikerdoc
December 30, 2012, 06:15 PM
Done in Virginia.

ccsniper
December 30, 2012, 06:16 PM
I contact mine so much they send me Christmas cards LOL!!!! But seriously they know me by name.

dpote
December 30, 2012, 06:26 PM
Done in New Mexico.

Dave

LeonCarr
December 30, 2012, 06:29 PM
Done in Texas...has anybody received any responses?

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

BearGriz
December 30, 2012, 06:31 PM
I finally did. (UT)

I watched this video yesterday (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JDglpt8hpyg), and I liked how Sturmgewhre (who I know posts on here at times) provided some resources in the video info. That link to http://congress.org was a great resource. The video itself was good too, though very geared to shooters (so I wouldn't share it with friends who aren't into shooting).

I'm working on gathering resources like that link that I can share with friends and family who are like me: interested in writing and helping out, but not too anxious to spend too much time reading stuff and writing stuff).

I absolutely loved this blog post that I'm sure many of you have read:
http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/2012/12/20/an-opinion-on-gun-control/

However, it is pretty long (but not long-winded), it is just long because it is full of information. In this world of sound bites, social media, and mobile users, I don't know how many people are willing to read that long of a post. I wish someone could take his info and create 4-5 videos, each 3-5 minutes long and each on one subject he covers. It could be done documentary style, and I think it could be powerful way to get the message to the younger crowd.

Anyway, I think we need to not just guilt others into doing this, we need to follow Sturmgewhre's example and do a two pronged strategy:

1) Inform and motivate
2) Make it as easy as possible by offering resources

One more thing, I may be making a poor assumption, but I doubt that our politicians really need a dissertation on why we think what we think, don't they just count our letters as one more in "slot B"? So you or your friends (who you encourage to act) probably don't need to fret over writing an amazing epistle, you can probably simply say "I OPPOSE any additional gun control."

You can probably also include a few reasons, but my thinking is that you don't have to be eloquent or list a ton of facts, right? Just say that you oppose it and you want the politician to echo that. Anyway, I thought that if that is an ok strategy, then more of us might write (if we don't have to put much more effort into it than just saying you oppose any legislation).

Edited because my app kindly sent the post before I was done.

zxcvbob
December 30, 2012, 06:38 PM
I emailed both of my senators a couple of days ago. One is a nanny-statist who wants to make everything "nice" for our own good, and the other is just a liberal. (the liberal actually seems more likely to listen, but I don't have much hope for either of them)

Still working on the one to my representative -- he's a NRA "A" rated democrat who has recently talked to NPR about maybe supporting some kind of ban afterall. I guess he cares more about what the party leadership wants than he does his constituency. Of course maybe he was just pandering to NPR and he doesn't mean any of it. Either possibility makes him a scoundrel; I need to choose my words carefully. He actually reads his mail; I'll give him that. I've received personal replies before.

KLL
December 30, 2012, 07:08 PM
Done (FL).

Paincakesx
December 30, 2012, 07:10 PM
I've contacted both my senators and plan to contact my representatives when I have more time.

I made it clear that I would not vote for them if they voted for any introduction of stringent gun control.

Being that Oregon is a solidly blue state, my message probably fell on deaf ears.

Still worth a try though, I suppose.

ToraBoraBlues
December 30, 2012, 07:11 PM
Done. Went and contacted NC and FL reps

wgaynor
December 30, 2012, 07:14 PM
Done (Kentucky)

avs11054
December 30, 2012, 07:18 PM
has anybody received any responses?.

Only from Biden...I got a "feel good" e-mail about how we need to do something to solve gun violence. It didn't make any specific suggestions, but it didn't need to. I'm surprised that my reps didnt respond. I haven't e-mailed any reps since the debt ceiling debate in 2011. I e-mailed all my reps and every single one of them responded quickly whether they agreed with my opinions or not.

Doc Savage
December 30, 2012, 07:28 PM
Hit my senators and rep over Christmas. Plan to do it again next week. And maybe the week after that, and the week after that. They do say the squeeky wheel gets the grease. Hopefully it will work.

TanklessPro
December 30, 2012, 07:38 PM
+1 for Alabama, even sent Speaker of the House.

Grmlin
December 30, 2012, 07:42 PM
I've contacted three so far. Wish I could just import their e-mail addresses and just send to everyone at the same time.

SilentStalker
December 30, 2012, 07:43 PM
I have emailed all of my state's reps 2x and I have not heard a peep out of anyone. I am hoping that the reason we have not heard anything is just because of the holidays though. We will see. I fear that this is not going to go well for us. I think the only thing we will be able to do is become criminals in much the same way our forefather's did. Its a sad day when a country makes its law abiding citizens outlaws simply by passing stupid legislation.

EBK
December 30, 2012, 07:44 PM
Done.

However I believe it is an exercise in futility

Lateck
December 30, 2012, 07:47 PM
Called and e-mailed my worthless congressman (7th district in Arizona, Grijalva).
He would prefer this was mexico.
I will contact McCain's office tomorrow.

Lateck,

DanMar757
December 30, 2012, 07:50 PM
Done with mine in VA! Senators Warner, Webb (outgoing) & Kaine (incoming). Congressman, state representatives and Governor too. Getting ready to make a second pass at all of them.

Keep the heat on!

KTXdm9
December 30, 2012, 07:57 PM
Done. Got a response from Kay Bailey Hutchison that said absolutely nothing (shocker). Have two new members to contact after the 1st.

ktmmudd
December 30, 2012, 08:02 PM
Contacted my senators and congressman ( Ohio ).

Mosbyranger
December 30, 2012, 08:02 PM
Done in Colorado. US Senators Bennett and Udall, Rep Tipton
MR

horsemen61
December 30, 2012, 08:10 PM
Did it days ago will do it again in MO

StrikerPaws
December 30, 2012, 08:20 PM
Yes, did it last night (MI)

Also joined the NRA and Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners

JVaughn
December 30, 2012, 08:25 PM
I've contacted three so far. Wish I could just import their e-mail addresses and just send to everyone at the same time.

You can. Go to the NRA-ILA website and click on write your reps. Here is a link.

http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-locally/grassroots/write-your-reps.aspx

Even non-members can use this free service. It will send the same letter to any select group of them you wish.

corpo
December 30, 2012, 08:37 PM
Several times here in Pa. Sent both emails and snail mail. Written and mailed letters still carry a little more weight.
Also phoned all. Let's not forget our state reps too. I fear there will be local repercussions too.

torchroadster
December 30, 2012, 08:38 PM
Absolutely. The NRA online tool makes it easy. Of course here in Texas it is kind of moot - they are strong 2a supporters but everything helps.

zxcvbob
December 30, 2012, 08:43 PM
Of course here in Texas it is kind of moot - they are strong 2a supporters

And it doesn't hurt to remind them of that

raddiver
December 30, 2012, 08:51 PM
Done in KY. Local State and Federal reps contacted.

Not a single response from any of them on the matter.
I just have to hope that my voice has been heard.

Erik M
December 30, 2012, 09:21 PM
I sent an inquisitive letter and self stamped envelope to my governors office requesting his stance on the upcoming gun rights debate. I expect a generic carbon copy response that says something about supporting the states economy and the Ky Derby.

MacGuyver77
December 30, 2012, 09:25 PM
Twice!

foolsgold80z
December 30, 2012, 09:28 PM
Unfortunately, both of my Senators (Carl Levin, and Debbie Stabenow)
are left wing party liners perhaps one rung lower on the ladder than Feinstein
herself and my Congressman would be proud to carry her water.
Not worth the time vs. researching relocating to a state with a population that
more closely mirrors my own philosophical leanings. :banghead:

KansasPaul
December 30, 2012, 09:32 PM
Done! (Kansas). I'm tired of our Constitutional Rights being eroded away! I WILL NOT BE SILENT!

Grmlin
December 30, 2012, 09:35 PM
Thanks JVaughn will be using that to send my messages out again.

Houser52
December 30, 2012, 09:39 PM
Done in NC

gym
December 30, 2012, 10:07 PM
I have contacted everyone including 2 letters to the White House. My state, and federal , Reps, the major news agencys, including the Huffington post, and several others. Let's see what comes of it.
If we truelly have no say in naything that happens, then it is time to move forward with alternative measures.
I don't know what those are yet, but perhaps organizing a march on Washington is a good place to start. If this Country dosen't take us seriouslly enough, "at least the legislators", then we must do something on a grand scale, "one they can't pretend to not get".
Imagine a couple million angry gun owners on the white house grounds. It might change some minds about the amount of pro- gun folks in the U.S.A.,
Even to our neighbooring Countries, who meddle in our affairs. It would be nice to show them that we aren't going anyware.
We have some smart people on our side, maybe it's time some of them started speaking out.

The Unknown User
December 30, 2012, 10:09 PM
How do I contact them? I've never done this before and I wouldn't know where to start.

Steve H
December 30, 2012, 10:13 PM
done in Utah

nonlinr
December 30, 2012, 10:13 PM
Done in PA.

XD Fan
December 30, 2012, 10:14 PM
Done in Missouri again. Twice this weekend and will be calling on the phone this week.

Grmlin
December 30, 2012, 10:16 PM
***** go to post #47 a link is in there.

chemist308
December 30, 2012, 10:25 PM
I have.

morcey2
December 30, 2012, 11:01 PM
yep.

SigSour
December 30, 2012, 11:07 PM
Just did it using this link from another post (http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-l...your-reps.aspx) - in CO. already got a response from Udall (automated of course)

chemist308
December 30, 2012, 11:23 PM
Although I have, this post needled me enough that I went and drafted more than the standard form letter and sent it. I sent similar copies to both senators, with slightly stronger emphasis on the 'not voting for you part' for the dem. Thought I'd share if anyone was at a loss for words:

Honorable Pat Toomey,

I understand with the recent violent events that took place at an elementary school in Connecticut, and pressure from your peers, that you might be considering voting in favor of a gun control bill such as a bill rumored to authored by California Senator Dianne Feinstein.

Don't even think about it. I'm holding you to Article 1, Section 21 of Pennsylvania's Constitution, "The right of the people to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be questioned."

Let me remind you that both the Sandy Hook shooting and the Colorado movie theater shooting occurred in buildings that banned firearm possession. In fact, nearly every massacre that I've heard of have occurred in areas where business owners or law prohibited weapons. Look back to the attempted massacre in 1997 at Pearl High School in Pearl, Mississippi. That wasn't well publicized because it was stopped by an armed Principal, before police arrived. Contrast that with the recent incident in Sandy Hook, Connecticut, which took place in a "gun free" zone.

If you still don't believe me, look back to the Virginia Tech massacre a few years ago and contrast it with the attempted massacre at the Appalachian School of Law in Grundy. The incident at the Appalachian School of Law was stopped by armed students.

As your constituent and a voter, I am asking you to vehemently oppose any and all gun control legislation that is presented to you. If you do this, I'll continue to vote for you.

However if you vote in favor or gun control, I will vote against you. I will also continue to keep all of the voters I have regular contact with informed of your votes, one way or the other.

Respectfully,

Matthew Temkin
December 30, 2012, 11:32 PM
Done.
NY State Senators and both of my US Senators

Doc7
December 30, 2012, 11:37 PM
done in NJ, Senators and my Representative.

armedaccountant
December 31, 2012, 12:10 AM
E-mailed all of mine on Friday. Added a phone call to the on who is likely to support a ban of any sort. Arkansas

pty101
December 31, 2012, 12:13 AM
done in Nebraska

Tim the student
December 31, 2012, 12:20 AM
Yessir.

longbeard48
December 31, 2012, 12:48 AM
Yep. Been there and done that.

Cesiumsponge
December 31, 2012, 12:52 AM
Yes, and keep them reasonably short. It's assumed staffers handle these things so they need to be to the point, respectful, and straightforward. I don't think they care to read an essay.

r1derbike
December 31, 2012, 02:14 AM
Done

Cooldill
December 31, 2012, 02:15 AM
I have! :)

TreeDoc
December 31, 2012, 02:18 AM
Done in Oklahoma

Greggo
December 31, 2012, 02:20 AM
I contacted my Senators and Representatives yesterday.

Diane Feinstein and the anti-gun machine have already introduced the gun ban legislation, and it will be rammed through Congress and signed by the President if we do not Stand As One and act today.

Contact you Representative today:

http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/

Contact your Senators:

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

Please all of you, they are going to ban most of our guns if we don't stand together and act now!

HOWARD J
December 31, 2012, 03:13 AM
i CONTACTED OURS TWICE
THEY DON'T LIKE GUNS---THEY WILL BE TROUBLE
& THEN MAYBE I WILL BE TROUBLE.
i DON'T PLAN ON RUNNING MY GUNS DOWN TO THE COP STATION
I THINK THIS DC GUY HAS THAT AS A PLAN

Arbor
December 31, 2012, 03:21 AM
Done - Oregon.

Speer
December 31, 2012, 03:22 AM
Absolutely. Red alert.

wacki
December 31, 2012, 03:53 AM
I've emailed 2... gotta snail mail the 3rd.

Centurian22
December 31, 2012, 04:57 AM
Done in Maine. Will be repeating next week with the new "team".

murphys_law
December 31, 2012, 07:15 AM
Done in MO. Claire McCaskill has been emailed and responded to, sounds like she's a lost cause.

gdcpony
December 31, 2012, 07:21 AM
Ohio done. Multiple times.

19-3Ben
December 31, 2012, 07:34 AM
I have. But living here in CT I think we already know how that's gonna turn out.

ol' scratch
December 31, 2012, 07:41 AM
I have contacted them and let them know I don't support an assault weapons ban. I am in Ohio.

95XL883
December 31, 2012, 10:17 AM
Done in KS.

hso
December 31, 2012, 10:24 AM
Emailed and wrote mine and others as well.

TIMC
December 31, 2012, 10:30 AM
Done in Texas this morning!

bucksnort52ATX
December 31, 2012, 10:31 AM
Done,Loyd Dogget ,Austin,Tx both by calling his office and sending him detailed e-mail.

stonecutter2
December 31, 2012, 10:31 AM
Done, IL.

No responses yet.

ksninew
December 31, 2012, 10:34 AM
Done in Illinois. This link makes it very easy.

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/mail/?alertid=61046526&type=ML

xfyrfiter
December 31, 2012, 10:37 AM
Done in NM, I will not sit still for an illegal action done by another, being blamed on a whole class of people. Ie. all legitimate non criminal gun owners in the US.

XD Fan
December 31, 2012, 10:44 AM
Claire McCaskill has been emailed and responded to, sounds like she's a lost cause.

I am afraid you are right. We have got to get her out next time. She should have been gone this time. What a pathetic election last November.

Creature
December 31, 2012, 11:45 AM
Done in Virginia. I wrote to the President, my two senators and my representative.

The NRA-ILA's 'Write Your Representatives' webpage makes it easy: http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-locally/grassroots/write-your-reps.aspx

Nikdfish
December 31, 2012, 11:59 AM
Done - NC

Nick

mjw930
December 31, 2012, 11:59 AM
Done, contacted both Senators and my Congressman. - FL

GCMkc
December 31, 2012, 12:02 PM
<-- This guy. KS reps contacted.

LNK
December 31, 2012, 12:03 PM
Twice in the last week. Although MA so what's the point. I should post the Reply I got from Scott Brown...Disgusts me...

LNK

Pilot
December 31, 2012, 12:12 PM
I have sent emails to both Senators, and my Representative in the House. I have also sent emails to my state legislators, and Governor indicating that on no uncertain terms that I would tolerate any further gun restrictions at the state level, or they'd be fired too.

Skribs
December 31, 2012, 12:12 PM
Contacted White House and US Senators. Trying to find contact information on US reps and state government.

JayMust
December 31, 2012, 12:16 PM
Done - NM.

josiewales
December 31, 2012, 12:18 PM
We're having our rep over for supper on friday sooo... :)

GlockFan
December 31, 2012, 12:18 PM
I emailed both Senators, Congressman and the Governor 2 weeks ago. Have not heard a thing back. I expect less than nothing from Durbin. Here is a recent posting from him.

http://durbin.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/localnews?ID=4ce6dfb0-52c3-4a6e-af27-330883da7d19

Ranger Roberts
December 31, 2012, 12:39 PM
Done - PA

XD 45acp
December 31, 2012, 12:48 PM
I wrote my Sen, and got a reply of basically, " Thank You for your input on the upcoming Assault Weapons discussion. We cannot stand by and watch these weapons destroy our society. I will take your input into consideration". Now that sounds like to me " Shuddup, I'm doing it anyway".

Ryanxia
December 31, 2012, 12:51 PM
Contacted; Senator(s), representative and governor.

December 31, 2012, 01:19 PM
Done days ago.

TenDriver
December 31, 2012, 01:20 PM
Wrote my representative and both senators. Shelby I'm not concerned with, although I did write. I'm not sure of Sessions and Brooks although I think both will be on our side.

TanklessPro
December 31, 2012, 01:33 PM
Not to hijack the thread but shouldn't we support the Republicans on the "fiscal cliff".As long as it is going, it will keep the new gun laws at bay. The longer we can push it back the better off we will be.

Any thoughts?

CharlieDeltaJuliet
December 31, 2012, 01:34 PM
Been writing and emailing since the weekend of the shooting...

introv78
December 31, 2012, 01:39 PM
Wrote them all twice, my congressman stated that guns are not the issue and he would fight any gun legislation bills.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
December 31, 2012, 01:41 PM
Yep, wrote my Congressman.

bigarm
December 31, 2012, 02:05 PM
I did!

snipe300
December 31, 2012, 03:37 PM
Done in TN.

Stevie-Ray
December 31, 2012, 03:49 PM
Done. (Michigan) For all the good it will do with these morons.

DanTheFarmer
December 31, 2012, 03:57 PM
Done in NH. I contacted both senators and both my current (outgoing) rep and my in-coming rep.

Bill2e
December 31, 2012, 04:53 PM
All of mine in Fl have been contacted

CharlieDeltaJuliet
December 31, 2012, 05:02 PM
Here is a link to contact all of your reps and the White House in one email....

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/mail/?alertid=61046526&type=ML

needmorecowbell
December 31, 2012, 07:06 PM
Done in Ohio (state & federal)

Vec
December 31, 2012, 07:28 PM
Done last week in WA. All levels of federal and state. Will do it again this week.

Spike440
December 31, 2012, 08:42 PM
Twice, so far, Ohio.
-Spike

JAshley73
December 31, 2012, 09:35 PM
Done - Ky senators and my Representative...

armed hiker
December 31, 2012, 10:24 PM
Done NH- senators

yeahbuddy
December 31, 2012, 10:27 PM
Emailed Gov and congressmen.

primalmu
December 31, 2012, 10:28 PM
Contacted my WV congressmen and senators.

shooter_from_show-me
January 1, 2013, 02:23 PM
If my reps were McCaskill and Feinstein, I wouldn't bother.

I wrote her anyways, McCaskill that is. Along with Blunt and Hartzler too. The latter two are conservatives and against big government.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

JBrady555
January 1, 2013, 02:47 PM
I've sent letters to Nelson, Rubio, Southerland, Gaetz, and Patronis as far as Florida goes. I'm loving http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-locally/grassroots/write-your-reps.aspx , it makes it so easy to write all your reps at once.

Shinbone
January 1, 2013, 02:58 PM
Done here in Ill, although as others have stated, some have their pet agenda and don't care what we say. :fire:

dark.zero.x
January 1, 2013, 07:42 PM
I have. Phone calls, emails, snail mail, random message web pages.

ChCx2744
January 1, 2013, 08:02 PM
I emailed both our senators and congressman.

A.Fischer
January 2, 2013, 12:35 AM
Done.

SilentStalker
January 2, 2013, 12:52 AM
I have contacted both senators, my congressman, and my governor 2x about this issue. However, I have not received a response from any of them. The good thing is I am pretty sure they are all pro gun. Let's hope we can make a difference.

Prophet
January 2, 2013, 12:57 AM
I contacted my rep concerning a couple of issues in one message, including 2A. No correspondence as of yet, I gave him some homework to do. My rep seems to have an excellent bearing on the issue, not one of those "protects the rights of sportsmen" only types. Still can't hurt to contact your rep regardless of where you think they may stand. If nothing else, at least they'll know that they don't stand alone.

Edit; I'm so glad that so many on this board are involved. We citizens are 100% responsible for the retention of our rights and you guys seem to understand that while so many do not. Keep up the good work, Patriots.

bldsmith
January 2, 2013, 01:01 AM
Both state and fed

Gtinnel
January 2, 2013, 02:27 AM
Yes. Both West Virginia congresswomen and senators. President also.

Caliper_RWVA
January 2, 2013, 06:59 AM
Yes. Paper letters a few weeks ago. Several emails as well. No response as of yet.

parsimonious_instead
January 2, 2013, 08:08 AM
Wrote to Governor Cuomo, and left voicemails with two state-level legislators. Also considering writing to Vermont's Governor Shumlin - I live in NY, not Vermont, but I'd be heartbroken if the state that has perhaps the fewest restrictions goes down the dark path of prohibiting certain classes of firearms.

gym
January 2, 2013, 10:11 AM
I posted a link that will give you their email addresses, while you are at it write Dianne Fienstein, CA, and tell her what you think of her proposed new law. There is a post with links that make it easy to find your reps and even a sample letter there.

HOOfan_1
January 2, 2013, 10:14 AM
US Senators, congressman and state legislators.

I don't think it will do any good though. My Sentators are Obama sheep and have already come out and stated they want an AWB. My congressman is Cantor...who won't do anything Obama wants. My state legislators are both very gun friendly.

Eyeplink45
January 2, 2013, 10:16 AM
Already done. I will be doing it on a regular basis from now on.

parsimonious_instead
January 2, 2013, 10:19 AM
Wrote to Governor Cuomo, and left voicemails with two state-level legislators. Also considering writing to Vermont's Governor Shumlin - I live in NY, not Vermont, but I'd be heartbroken if the state that has perhaps the fewest restrictions goes down the dark path of prohibiting certain classes of firearms.

JayPee
January 2, 2013, 10:20 AM
Both Senators and my Congressman

leadchucker
January 2, 2013, 10:49 AM
I'm making myself a pest with the President, my Senators, my Representative, even all the local newspapers.

If you aren't sure what the best way to do it is, a site like congress.org can make it easy to do.

Hokkmike
January 2, 2013, 11:37 AM
Contacted Obama, Biden, Feinstein, Casey, and Marino. I am going to attempt a few office visits.

PaisteMage
January 2, 2013, 11:54 AM
I contacted both Senators and my local congressman.

KevininPa
January 2, 2013, 12:34 PM
Done.

RBid
January 2, 2013, 12:38 PM
All Oregon Senators and Reps.

Valor35
January 2, 2013, 04:24 PM
Done (Indiana).

Creature
January 2, 2013, 05:04 PM
Grant Cunningham has an excellent blog post with some very good advice about how to effectively write your congressperson. Take a minute and read it.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/blog_files/1aec3e9a2cdb7468efa0b1adad770d68-1128.html

ALERT: It's time for you to do something!
Wednesday, January 02, 2013 Filed in: Current Events, Political Action

Happy New Year everyone! Well, it would be if the Second Amendment community weren’t facing a major fight at the dawn of 2013. This time they’re serious, and it’s going to take some work on our parts to win.

You see, Congress goes back to work tomorrow and one of the things they'll be working on is Dianne Feinstein's new gun control bill. I'll not waste the space here detailing the provisions - you can easily look them up with a five-second Google - but she's going for broke this time: the virtual elimination of all semi-automatic rifles and handguns, and the outlawing of any gun which carries more than ten rounds (including lever action rifles.) The exact content of the bill is as yet unknown, but she's pushing for mandatory registration and perhaps even confiscation.

Normally Congress would pretty much roll their collective eyes and say “there goes Dianne again”, but with the Sandy Hook murders still relatively fresh in the public's mind and with the complicity of both Hollywood and the media her bill is sure to gain traction it otherwise mightn’t. I don't believe her bill stands much of a chance of passage but that's not the point - it's a negotiating tactic, a way to steer the public perception toward "reasonable" gun control.

If we, the shooting community, don't act immediately her little scheme might just work. That means you and I - yes, you too - need to do something within the next week, maybe even sooner, if we're to counter this horrendous attack on our civil rights.

What to do? Lots of people are blithely exhorting you to write your Congressperson, but no one ever explains just how to go about doing so effectively - if they even know themselves. The problem with writing to Congress is that if you don't do it right your message will be completely ignored, and might even embolden an anti-gun legislator. I hope today I can shed a little light on the process and give you a few guidelines to help ensure that your voice is actually heard.

Here's what I've learned from talking with elected representatives (I even have one in the family though I don’t like to admit it), people who work or have worked for them, people in the media (I have one of those in the family too), as well as reading articles by people who have worked in Congressional offices:

- The first and most important thing you need to understand is that unless he/she knows you personally, your Senator or Representative will likely never see your letter. His/her office has aides or corespondents whose job it is to read the mail, categorize each response as for or against, and file it in the appropriate place. The Congressperson checks in with the aides (who are assigned to specific issues, like gun control) on a regular basis, asking how many times they've heard from constituents on the specific issue at hand. They'll be told how many letters they've received and what the for/against percentages are, but are unlikely to get anything more specific unless they ask. If the majority of the letters are on one side, that's what they'll be told.

- Remember that aides are usually fresh out of college, idealistic, and not very well paid. Don't be rude and never insult them or their boss or your letter will go missing - from what I've been told it's a sure bet. Don't say anything about your Congressperson being a scum-sucking gun grabber even if it is true; be polite, even if it kills you.

- Don't use paper. As a security precaution all snailmail goes to a central location where it's irradiated, examined, opened, scanned (probably with OCR) into an electronic file, and then that file is delivered to your Congressperson's office. They never see the paper unless they request it specifically. This process is said to take a week at best, and if there is a huge influx of correspondence it might take two or three or more. If there is a time-sensitive issue, as this is, a paper letter will almost certainly be too late. An email gets there faster and ends up in the same place anyhow, so there is no longer a reason to put pen to paper when writing Congress. Send an email.

- Don't write a book. The aides have a ton of letters to go through, don't have a lot of time, and are easily bored. Your letter should consist of a paragraph or two at the very most: tell them what you're writing about, how you want them to vote, and why it's important to you. That's it; resist the urge to write more. Ideally you should get that done in three well-crafted sentences, and as the volume of mail goes up the greater the importance of making your letter concise.

- If you're not a constituent - yes, they check - your letter will generally be ignored. In other words, unless you're actually in Feinstein's district don't waste your time writing her office; it won't do any of us any good even if you are polite.

- How do you make sure they know you’re a constituent? Put your name and address in the letter. I get emails constantly where the only identifier of the sender is "toughguy37@aol.com". To me it's just annoying, but it causes Congressional aides to conclude one of two things: you're either out of district or sending robomails, either of which will cause your email to go right into the electronic trashcan. If you don't want that to happen put your FULL NAME and address in the body.

- Make sure your email has a subject; those without subjects might be filtered out by their office email system. I’m told the best thing to do is to put the title/number of the actual bill in the subject line so that the reason for your letter can be quickly determined.

- The NRA will probably send you an email with links to form letters that you can send to your Congressperson. DON'T DO IT. Form letters are nearly useless; when the aides are queried, one of the questions they're asked is what percentage of letters are of the form variety and which were actually written. The form letters have FAR less impact than those you send from your own keyboard (some say they are simply ignored. After all, if it was really important to you, you'd have written your own damn letter.) Again: DON'T USE FORM LETTERS. If you feel you can't make a good impression on the aides then have someone draft it for you, but don't use the prewritten missives from any group.

- If you even get a response it will almost certainly be a form letter. Deal with it. Go back to the first item: your Congressperson is NOT going to read your letter, and therefore is very unlikely to draft a personal response to you. Expect a form letter and don't go bitching on Facebook if you get one; it's just how the system works.

Now go use what you've learned, and let's see if we can head Feinstein's bill off at the pass!

-=[ Grant ]=-

gym
January 2, 2013, 05:19 PM
Even though they may not and probablly never read any of this stuff, it at least shows how we feel about it. If suddenlly they get thousands of email that they hadn't gotten before, it may shake even "their" cobwebs loose.
Those on the fense or looking to get re elected are the easiest to bring over to the side of right.

Kitchen_Duty
January 2, 2013, 06:31 PM
I wrote mine and she responded with her cut and paste email response how she wants to get dangerous assault weapons off the street. I hate living in Seattle :(

Democrats are so pro civil rights until we get to the 2nd amendment it seems

JBrady555
January 2, 2013, 06:59 PM
How often are you guys writing?

Stevie-Ray
January 2, 2013, 09:36 PM
Well, I've wrote again for the third time. Usually just once, but this is a big one.

Pismopal
January 2, 2013, 10:25 PM
Just a thought here....does it make any sense to elect liberal Democrats and then ask them to be on our side on any gun issue? No matter what the individual may say about the issue..Democrats are on the left and they aren't coming back. Save your stamps and cel phone minutes..vote for conservatives.:banghead:

Carter
January 2, 2013, 10:38 PM
I've contacted twice. Probably will continue to do so. Fortunately my congressman seems pretty supportive.

BSA1
January 3, 2013, 10:30 AM
As a result of my Senator caving in on the fiscal cliff I have created the Grand Old Politicans party which are only concerned with maintaining their power.

carbuncle
January 3, 2013, 10:43 AM
I wrote for the third time since sandy hook this morning, will be making it a weekly occurance now.

AnonymousReef
January 3, 2013, 11:04 AM
I've been wearing out my keyboard typing emails and letters to any politician in my state who will give me their ear. I did manage to get a phone call through to Senator Moran (R-KS) (well..one of his lackeys anyways...;) ) Good news on that front, he plans to oppose any AWB or further restrictions on guns. Have yet to hear back from the other Senator or my Congresscritters.

TarDevil
January 3, 2013, 11:58 AM
Done... President, Senators and Representative.

Uncle Richard
January 3, 2013, 01:41 PM
Contacted Senators and US Rep (West Virginia)

Lincoln4
January 3, 2013, 05:44 PM
I emailed everyone from my state reps to US senators. My state reps are fairly to very conservative. My US Senators? :banghead: D-Cantwell and D-Murray, well I emailed them anyways...

TanklessPro
January 3, 2013, 11:19 PM
I think we need to email as many reps as possible. I heard that Senator Graham (SC) was leaning toward a ban so I sent an email to him even though I don't live in South Carolina.
He responded with some due to large amount of contacts he is only able to respond to residents of SC.
What a joke........:cuss:

ArcherandShooter
January 4, 2013, 12:33 AM
Just wrote my new rep, Sheila Jackson-Lee. Not hoping for much ("F" from the NRA for years), but we'll see...

Dear Congresswoman,

I am new to your district, becoming part of the 18th by the latest redistricting. I hope we get we the chance to meet soon. Do you have any plans for a town-hall or similar event in this new northern part of your district?

In the meantime, I'm writing to express my extreme dismay and disgust at the "gun control" proposals being discussed as the new congress gets underway. I know that community safety, particularly of our children, is a major concern of yours, which I applaud.

However, none of the ideas being put forth by Sen. Feinstein or Rep. McCarthy will accomplish a single thing towards the goal of safe neighborhoods. All they will do is give violent criminals easier targets, make non-violent felons out of thousands of your constituents, and cause mass chaos in the legal system.

There are many things we might do to address our deficient mental health system, for instance, that would have a more immediate impact without violating the rights of people who are not the problem anyway.

Please let me know that you will think carefully and keep facts as your guide rather than emotion and the urge to "do something" to address this complex area.

Respectfully,
Rich Pedersen
Spring

TreeDoc
January 4, 2013, 12:39 AM
Oklahoma x 2

vamo
January 4, 2013, 12:47 AM
Wrote the president, both senators and my district's representative. I'm in Missouri and republicans have a super majority in the legislature so there shouldn't be any controls at the state level.

As far as the congresscritters are concerned we have 1 senator with a D from the NRA, though I think she knows she only won this past election due to the extreme stupidity of her opponent, it was looking like any republican was going to defeat her before the primary was over, then again 6 years until her next re-election so she might feel safe about voting for something thats unpopular in the state. The other senator and my rep are a bit more gun-friendly and as long as they haven't been flooded with way more anti messages will probably not vote for any other regs. I think we all know how futile my message to the president was.

BearGriz
January 4, 2013, 02:58 PM
I'm glad to see this one is starting to get longer and longer. The first day or so it was kind of sad how few were claiming they had done it.

Hokkmike
January 4, 2013, 03:27 PM
As I have said I previously emailed. Today I called each of them.Still anticipating a visit to their offices.

Killian
January 4, 2013, 03:58 PM
My representative is E.F. Hutton and E.F. Hutton says---wait, I meant Alan Nunnalee. He's both a Mississippian and a Republican. I don't think I have to call him up to remind him. Like most Mississippians, he's already right thinkin'.

It's representatives from other states I should be calling...but they don't care if I'm not from their state. Pinheads.

DougW
January 4, 2013, 08:14 PM
I contacted my US Rep Dr. Michael Burgess. Got a responce today.

Walt622
January 4, 2013, 09:21 PM
Both Senators and my Congressman. Also upped my NRA membership to Endowment. We can't afford to loose this fight, I fear it's for the whole ball of wax.

Hangontight
January 4, 2013, 09:39 PM
I have every day for the past week

Hypnogator
January 5, 2013, 01:06 AM
Dear ,

As your constituent, I am contacting you to express my opposition to any attempt to ban so-called “assault weapons” or “high-capacity” magazines. In my view, any further restrictions on the sale or possession of these items would clearly infringe our right to keep and bear arms as specified in the Second Amendment to the US Constitution.

The “assault weapon” of the late 18th Century was the Brown Bess Musket. It had many of the same characteristics as modern “assault weapons” in that it wasn’t particularly useful for hunting, but was militarily advantageous because it could be loaded and fired rapidly, and could mount a bayonet for close-quarters combat. It was, unarguably, the weapon our Founding Fathers had in mind when they wrote the Second Amendment, because keeping and bearing it encouraged proficiency in its use, and gave the musket-armed militiaman parity with regular army troops.

Today, keeping and bearing an AR-15 rifle encourages proficiency which is militarily useful in case of a national emergency, and the skilled possessor of an AR-15 rifle with military-specification magazines has a large degree of parity with hostile military forces of an invading foreign government or our own government turned tyrannical. Further restrictions on its sale and possession would clearly violate the Second Amendment and would be futile in any case, since existing weapons, if well maintained, can easily be expected to last for more than a century.

Please do everything in your power to defeat “feel good” legislation that would infringe on our Second Amendment rights. Your efforts will not be unappreciated at election time.

Sincerely,

Lupine411
January 5, 2013, 01:50 AM
I've contacted my reps, my Mayor, my Governor and the President. I've also re-joined the NRA and this forum, and have spoken up in social media (to the chagrin of quite a few 'friends' who have gone so far as to call NRA members directly implicit in the CT shooting.) I'm "all-in".

JohnnyK
January 5, 2013, 10:31 AM
me... both email and by phone... my rep is pro 2A! God Bless Michael McCaul!

hso
January 5, 2013, 10:33 AM
Here's the thread in Activism with language and contact aids for not just your elected officials in Washington but your state officials as well. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=8623489

Remember that our Governors have a voice in this struggle and are more accessible to us than our fed officials at times.

carbuncle
January 6, 2013, 03:16 PM
Contacted them all again today, personally and via the NRA's tool. The Washington Post article reveals the agenda, now it's time to bring the heat to our reps.

Centurian22
January 8, 2013, 01:24 AM
Form letter or not, I was impressed with one of my senators reply:

Thank you for contacting me in opposition to gun control legislation in the wake of the horrifying tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut.

These shootings were acts of violence that our country has experienced far too often. I was shaken as I learned of the details of the shooting, which cut short the lives of so many little children and seven adults, causing such immense suffering and unspeakable grief for their families and their community.

I grew up in northern Maine where responsible gun ownership is part of the heritage of many families. While our country should examine what can be done to help prevent gun violence, denying the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens won't change the behavior of those who intend on using firearms for criminal purposes.

We need to have a national conversation to try to avert another devastating shooting. To be fruitful, however, that discussion must do more than focus solely on regulating firearms; it also needs to examine issues such as the glorification of violence in the media and video games and the mental health system in this country.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,
Susan Collins

1911 guy
January 8, 2013, 01:36 AM
Me. Got a response back from Sherrod Brown. That weasel. Oops, I mean politician.

Buck Kramer
January 8, 2013, 08:46 AM
Got IA done yesterday...

ChCx2744
January 8, 2013, 08:52 PM
One of the congressmen I wrote to replied to me today:

Dear .......:

Thank you for contacting me regarding gun control. I appreciate hearing from you.

Our forefathers specifically stated in the 2nd Amendment to the United States Constitution that "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." This is one of the clearest mandates of freedom bestowed upon us by our Founding Fathers. I believe in a strict interpretation of the Constitution. As the Representative of the 7th District of Georgia, I will fight hard to make sure that all your constitutional rights from Amendment 1 to Amendment 27 are protected.

Thank you again for contacting me. Though we might not completely agree on the 2nd Amendment, I know that we agree strongly on all of the others.
Sincerely,

Rob Woodall
Member of Congress

That last part is a bit...Eh. Hopefully the others respond as well. Hopefully these messages are making an impact on their views!

mcdonl
January 8, 2013, 09:24 PM
Centurian. Same response I got.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Westfair
January 9, 2013, 05:39 AM
I wrote just about everyone I could here in WA. So far only two responses and they were about what I figured they would be. And yes, I was very respectful and polite.

Dear Mr. XXX:

Thank you for contacting me about the school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

My family and I join all Americans in grieving for the children, teachers and staff who had their lives taken from them in the vicious attacks at Sandy Hook Elementary School. We must pledge never to forget the victims of this senseless act of violence.

From the attack on Congresswoman Giffords that left six dead, to the shootings in Colorado, Wisconsin, Oregon and Connecticut, it is too painfully clear that we must take meaningful action to make our communities safer. The 2008 Skagit County mass shootings that killed six brought this type of tragedy to our home. No single law can prevent the actions of a madman, but that is no excuse to not take action.

I continue to hold my position that Congress should reinstate the assault weapons ban and ban high-capacity ammunition clips above 10 rounds per clip, as proposed by Representative McCarthy. These military-grade weapons serve no legitimate purpose in civilian life.

We must close the gun show and private sale loopholes and strengthen background check requirements to make sure that criminals and the mentally ill are unable to purchase guns.

Gun control is part, but not all of the solution. Mental illness has been shown to be a factor in some of these mass shootings. Mental illnesses are often misunderstood and under-diagnosed. Health providers need to give mental health the same attention that physical health is given. Congress should direct more research into mental illness and provide more funding for effective care of mentally ill patients.

We have not seen the last of violent crimes in our country, but if Congress and the President act, we can make our communities safer and shrink this cycle of violence.

Again, thank you for contacting me on this issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about this or any other issue.

Rick Larsen
United States Representative
Washington State, 2nd District

Dear Mr. XXX,

Thank you for contacting me to express your views on gun ownership. I appreciate hearing your concerns about gun control and understand how strongly you feel about the right to bear arms.

You should know that I take our Constitution very seriously. It is a most fundamental goal for me as your Senator to work to uphold the rights guaranteed by our founding document. Furthermore, I know that recreational use and collection of guns for hunting, sport, and other activities is extremely important to you and many other law-abiding Washingtonians.

Just as I am committed to protecting Second Amendment rights, I believe you would agree with my long-standing conviction that we must keep guns out of the hands of criminals and children. I believe that our first step in preventing further criminal and youth gun violence should be stricter enforcement of responsible gun laws that punish criminal use of firearms and that make access to guns harder for children and criminals.

As your Senator, you can be assured that I will work to protect the legitimate rights of law-abiding American gun-owners, while continuing to support responsible gun control legislation to reduce crime and make our communities safer. I believe both of these goals are important and can be simultaneously accomplished through common-sense gun laws and stricter enforcement of existing laws.

Again, thank you for contacting me on this important issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me again on this or any other issue.

Sincerely,
Maria Cantwell
United States Senator

txgunsuscg
January 9, 2013, 06:42 AM
Contacted them last week via email. No response back yet except for an email that acknowledged receipt of my email.

mcdonl
January 9, 2013, 08:04 AM
I have taken Tom Greshems challenge of contacting them weekly by postal mail and/or phone calls. I will not waste a stamp on DC but I will with my local senators and congress.

Wyndage
January 9, 2013, 09:25 AM
I just received an encouraging response from my Congressman:

Thank you for contacting me about the recent heartbreaking tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this horrendous attack on our children, and I remain honored to represent you in Congress.

On December 14, 2012 a deranged young man attacked the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown Connecticut, brutally murdering 20 first graders and 6 adults. This unspeakable attack shook the town of Newtown to its core and forced many of us to question how anyone could be so evil as to murder children.

In the wake of this shooting there are no easy answers. I have heard suggestions for limiting 2nd Amendment rights to increasing resources for mental health issues to putting armed school resource officers in every school. I oppose limiting gun rights, however I do believe that there is merit in the other two suggestions, although these solutions may be better implemented at the state or local level than at the federal level. School resources and needs are no doubt very different in a small Tennessee town than in New York City or in rural Alaska.

This horrific act leads me to hug my children a little bit tighter, but ultimately the search for answers to this shooting yields few clues. We know little about the shooter and what could have driven him to kill.

I urge you to join me in keeping the victims and their families in your prayers in the wake of this horrible crime. Thank you again for your concern and please do not hesitate to let me know if I may be of additional assistance.

Ashcons
January 9, 2013, 02:56 PM
I've e-mailed my national-level state legislators. I also plan to call their offices soon. Tonight I plan on e-mailing my state legislators and probably this weekend, I will e-mail my local legislators.

I figure if the state and local levels are waiting to attempt any legislation, they'll both wait to see what happens at the Federal level before making a move and the local level would possibly wait for the State to make a move.

asia331
January 9, 2013, 04:33 PM
Multiple times and will continue to do so until this threat to my civil right to self defense is removed.

777TRUTH
January 9, 2013, 06:22 PM
I've contacted both Senators and my congressman.

akv3g4n
January 9, 2013, 06:47 PM
Yep. Contacted my Senators and Congressman. Haven't heard back from my Congressman yet but I have one Senator that would seem to be open to additional gun control legislation (Sherrod Brown-D) and one against (Rob Portman-R). I've written them multiple times so far and plan to let them know my stance weekly until these bills are defeated.

dark.zero.x
January 9, 2013, 07:47 PM
I got an email back from my Rep
Dear xxxxx,

Thank you for contacting me regarding gun control legislation. I am honored to hear from you, and proud to represent you. Since coming to Congress, I have been working very hard to advance my policy agenda based on four key priorities—peace, prosperity for working families, environmental sustainability, and support for human and civil rights.

On December 14, Americans around the country were shocked and heartbroken with the news that 27 people were killed in a mass shooting in Newton, CT, including 20 innocent children at Sandy Hook Elementary School. As a father, I cannot imagine the pain and grief that comes from losing a child in such a senseless tragedy.

As we mourn these lives lost, and our hearts are with the families of the victims, we also must turn to finding a solution for ending these terrible acts of violence. The tragic shooting in Newton, CT joins a dozen other mass shootings this year, including the September 27th shooting at Accent Signage in Minneapolis, where six people were senselessly killed in one of the worse mass shootings in Minnesota history.

It is time that we come together as a nation to address this systemic violence. Throughout my time in Congress, I have been a strong supporter of sensible and effective gun control laws. We can reduce gun-related violence by supporting common sense policies such as background checks and the elimination of so-called "straw buyers," who legally buy large quantities of firearms with the intention of reselling them later illegally. I am a proud original co-sponsor of the Fix Gun Checks Act (H.R. 1781), which would require gun buyers to undergo a simple background check for each firearm they wish to purchase. This legislation would help keep our streets safe by ensuring that those prohibited from purchasing firearms are listed under the national instant criminal background check system. It would also ensure that institutions of higher education have the capacity to recognize and treat mentally disturbed individuals who may become violent.

Rest assured that properly regulating the sale, distribution, and use of firearms for the benefit of public safety is of upmost importance to me. As always, please feel free to contact me on any issue of concern. You can sign up for our e-newsletter by visiting www.house.gov/ellison.

Sincerely yours,

Keith Ellison
United States House of Representatives

Not so sure how I feel about this response.

SigSour
January 9, 2013, 07:56 PM
From Mark Udall - Colorado (I mistakenly started another thread):

Thank you for contacting me regarding Second Amendment rights. I appreciate that you took the time to write on this important topic.

Responsible gun ownership is an integral part of our Western heritage. The Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution provides for an individual right, and I am dedicated to protecting the rights of citizens to own firearms for personal protection, hunting, collecting or for other legal purposes.

We can all agree that the shootings at Columbine High School; Virginia Tech; in Aurora; Tucson, AZ; Newtown, CT and other instances in which terrible crimes have been committed with guns are national tragedies that should concern us all. No single policy is going to be adequate in preventing gun tragedies in the future. We need comprehensive solutions that examine our culture's glorification of violence, the effectiveness of our laws, our ability to enforce those laws and access to firearms, especially those designed for the battlefield. We must do everything we can - consistent with the Second Amendment - to keep weapons out of the hands of criminals, the mentally ill and those who would turn them against their community. As legislation related to Second Amendment rights is debated, I will carefully examine its intentions and impacts and use your thoughts to help guide me.

I will continue to listen closely to what you and other Coloradans have to say about matters before Congress, the concerns of our communities, and the issues facing Colorado and the nation. My job is not merely about supporting or opposing legislation, but also about bridging the divide that has paralyzed our nation's politics. For more information about my positions and to learn how my office can assist you, please visit my website at www.markudall.senate.gov.

Pismopal
January 10, 2013, 12:57 PM
Save time and stamps and wasted effort:banghead:.......stop voting for DEMOCRATS!!

Killian
January 10, 2013, 01:05 PM
I called my Reps office. I live in Mississippi so I didn't even have to say more than 2 sentences before the secretary told me, "Oh, don't worry. Rep. Nunnalee is a FIRM supporter of the 2nd Amendment." Which I pretty much already knew.

It's not MY Representative I have to worry about. It's all of the other ones. Perhaps I should start calling OTHER states Representatives. Not sure they would care once I said I wasn't in their voting districts though.

jrdolall
January 10, 2013, 01:09 PM
I have already emailed him back about the lack of response in his response. It sounds to me like he is open to some changes simply because he did not voice a strong opinion either way. To my way of thinking he is not supporting his constituents so we are hammering him.

Thank you for contacting me with regard to the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. During this difficult time for our nation, I appreciate knowing your thoughts.

As you may know, an armed assailant entered Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut on Friday, December 14, 2012 and viciously proceeded to kill school staff and elementary school aged children before committing suicide. By the end of the day's tragic events almost 30 people were left dead including the loss of 20 innocent children. The unimaginable loss of life of so many makes this heartbreaking event all the more difficult to comprehend. My unwavering thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of those who lost loved ones on this unbelievably terrible day.

On Monday, December 17, 2012 the United States House of Representatives participated in a moment of silence to pay respect to the victims of this horrific event. Many issues have been raised for Congress to discuss, including mental health care, gun control, school security, bullying and numerous others to ensure the events of December 14, 2012 never happen again. As Congress continues to work on these issues I will keep your thoughts in mind.

Thank you again for contacting me. If you would like to receive further information on issues of importance to you, please log on to my website at http://mike-rogers.house.gov. I hope to hear from you again soon.

Xyr
January 10, 2013, 02:12 PM
I have. Snail mail and email.

psyopspec
January 10, 2013, 02:19 PM
Done. Will repeat as specific 2A threats develop.

dbb1776
January 10, 2013, 02:23 PM
Me. Just done it. Usd spel Czech two.

Doc Savage
January 10, 2013, 10:22 PM
I've been writing mine using the NRA letter link every few days. The other day I wrote a short note basically saying I wasn't too eloquent a speaker so I'd let our founding fathers speak for me, and included quotes from George Washington, Patrick Henry, etc. Think my rep actually read it, here's the reply.

Dear "Doc Savage":
Thank you for contacting me to share your views concerning Second Amendment rights.

I am a firm believer that Second Amendment rights must be preserved. Several dozen gun control-related proposals were introduced in recent Congresses, but only a handful of those bills received votes on the floor of the House.

As with any protection granted in our Bill of Rights, there are costs to pay for those guaranteed freedoms. Criminals run free because of self-incrimination and search and seizure protections. People are hurt by false statements made pursuant to freedom of speech. And innocent people are sometimes killed by the wrongful exercise of Second Amendment rights; such are the costs of freedom.

On balance, however, the Second Amendment may have done more to keep America free and democratic than any other provision in our Bill of Rights. Hence, we must protect the right to bear arms despite recent tragedies.

Please be assured I will keep your views (and those of our founding fathers) in mind should legislation regarding gun rights come to the floor of the House for a vote. I have no intention of supporting the weakening of our right to bear arms. To the contrary, I intend to defend our Second Amendment rights with my vote.

Please feel free to contact me again in the future. You may wish to visit my website at http://brooks.house.gov/ for additional information about issues and legislation before Congress.

Sincerely,
Mo Brooks

Robert

sonick808
January 10, 2013, 10:51 PM
I've written and called all of my fed and state reps. I will probably make another round of calls in another week or two. After I saw the effort being made in WY to shelter their residents from any unconstitutional gun ban laws, I wrote a letter to Jan Brewer, the AZ Governor, asking her to work with the legislature to do just that for the residents of AZ as well.

I'd recommend everyone contact your governor and state legislators to see if they'll consider such a thing. Even if you're in NY or CA etc., it's worth a shot.

Our wheels need to squeak loudly and often. Write wal-mart, write your local "no guns allowed" establishments, write everyone!

Justin
January 11, 2013, 01:11 PM
I've called both the DC and local offices of my senators (Udall and Bennett) as well as the DC and local offices for my Representative (Lamborn.)

Letters will be drafted this weekend.

Justin
January 11, 2013, 02:13 PM
I just called Dianna Degette's office in Washington DC, not because I thought that I could have any effect on how she feels about gun control, but just to see what they said.

Here's how the phone call went:

Me:
"Hi, I'm interested in finding out more about Congresswoman Degette's proposal to ban magazines."

Staffer:
"Sure, the bill would prohibit large capacity ammunition feeding devices holding more than ten rounds."

Me:
"Ok, I'm still trying to make my mind up on this issue*, and I've been doing some research on the subject, and just wanted to see if the Congresswoman had any sources proving the effectiveness of such a ban. Maybe you could point me to a study or something that proves such a ban works."

S:
-stammers- I, uh, don't really have anything like that right here, though I'm sure the Congresswoman does**.

M:
"Oh, that's too bad."

S:
"Well, it's early in the process, so that information will come out as the bill is debated."

M:
"Well, I've done a bit of research on my own, and she might be interested to know what I've found."

S:
"Sure."

M:
Well, all four of the guns used in Columbine were ban-compliant, and three of them couldn't even accept high-capacity magazines.

S:

M:
And, well, I've been reading through the Virginia Tech Review Panel's Report on the Mass Shootings at Virginia Tech, and you know, the conclusion they came to said that a magazine ban would not have changed the outcome of that event.

S:
"really?"

M:
Yeah. Also, there was a 2003 gun control meta-study conducted by the CDC, and, you know, they couldn't find a single study showing that bans on magazines have any effect at all.

S:
"Oh."

M:
"Yeah, crazy, right? That's why I'm calling you. Like I said, I figured that the source of the bill might be able to shed some light and provide some data showing that a ban like this would work."

S:
-stammers, again- "Well, well, um, I think we'll see what we can find. Do you live in Denver?"

M:
"No, I'm just a concerned citizen is all. I thought that before I call my representatives I'd get information straight from the source. I'm sorry to hear you don't have anything."

S:
"Well, I will pass your concern along."

M:
"I appreciate that, thank you for your time."

{click}

Like I said, I have no notions that my phone call will do anything to change Degette's stance on the issue, but listening to a congressional staffer make himself sound all manner of stupid while doing his level best to remain polite was all kinds of entertaining.

*What? It's completely within the realm of believability that I might trip and land on a piece of rebar that goes through my eye socket, causing a primitive sort of lobotomy.
**Uh huh. Sure.

Okiegunner
January 11, 2013, 02:17 PM
I have contacted my congressman 3X this week.

MtnCreek
January 11, 2013, 02:22 PM
Justin, That's great. :)

I've e-mailed my 3 congress critters.

Mr. ______,

There has been much talk recently regarding new gun legislation and the possibility of regulation through executive order. Please know that I am firmly against any new gun restrictions. As is, we have far too many restrictions on firearms and firearms ownership and they have a 79 year track record of failure. Any additional laws restricting firearms, firearms accessories, ownership or the lawful use of firearms will only affect the law abiding. I am of the opinion that the only law regarding firearms should read; “A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”

I am concerned that the current Congress will ‘compromise’ on the issue of firearms. Please know that I expect you to strongly stand in the way of any new firearms related legislation.

We currently have laws that make schools a ‘soft target’ for those that would like to harm others. Gun Free Schools Zones only prevent the law abiding from possessing guns. I would like to see you take action on this. These types of laws make our children a target; I firmly believe schools should not be a ‘safe zone’ for criminals to harm others without risk of lawful gun owners protecting themselves.

I would like to know how you will proceed if firearms related restrictions are implemented through executive order.

When time allows, please write me with your thoughts and plans on each of these issues.

Sincerely,

m3mh0g
January 11, 2013, 02:36 PM
My senator just responded to me today.

Dear ----
Thank you for contacting me regarding the rights of gun owners.
As you may know, I am a strong defender of our Second Amendment rights. The right of law-abiding citizens to own firearms is an individual right guaranteed by the Second Amendment of the Constitution and broadly interpreted by the U.S. Supreme Court. Our Founders clearly understood that one of the most basic rights of Americans is the ability to defend themselves and their families.

In light of the terrible tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Connecticut, there have been calls for immediate action to address gun control. I do believe it is important that we have a serious national discussion about preventing these senseless acts of violence and protecting our children in their schools. Equally important, however, is an effort that more broadly addresses ways to spend federal dollars more wisely when it comes to treating and identifying those who are mentally ill as well as intervening before they tragically impact their own lives and the lives of others.

There are no easy answers here. I continue to believe that a weapons ban does not fix the issue. Whatever we do, it must be consistent with the Constitution.

I appreciate your thoughts and will continue to support legislation that safeguards our Second Amendment rights, encourages safe and responsible gun ownership, and keeps our homes and families safe.

Again, thank you for contacting me. I look forward to continuing our conversation on Facebook (www.facebook.com/SenatorBlunt) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/RoyBlunt) about the important issues facing Missouri and the country. I also encourage you to visit my website (blunt.senate.gov) to learn more about where I stand on the issues and sign-up for my e-newsletter.

Sincere regards,

Roy Blunt
United States Senator

melski
January 11, 2013, 02:44 PM
Unfortunately, both of my Senators (Carl Levin, and Debbie Stabenow)
are left wing party liners perhaps one rung lower on the ladder than Feinstein
herself and my Congressman would be proud to carry her water.
Not worth the time vs. researching relocating to a state with a population that
more closely mirrors my own philosophical leanings. :banghead:
write them anyway!

ChCx2744
January 11, 2013, 09:08 PM
I checked my email and saw that my senator also replied:

Dear Mr......:

Thank you for writing me regarding the right to keep and bear arms as guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution. Your taking the time to contact me is appreciated.

I have always been a strong supporter of Second Amendment rights, and I will continue to ensure the rights of gun owners will not be further infringed upon. We must make certain that the rights and freedoms of law-abiding citizens are not unfairly impeded. I believe that the ability of sportsmen, hunters, gun enthusiasts and citizens concerned with their personal safety to own a gun, whether for sport or protection, is clearly defined in the Constitution and must not be compromised.

In response to recent tragic and high-profile acts of violence, there is a renewed focus on government regulation of guns. It is likely that Congress will soon have an extensive and detailed conversation about all of the potential causes of these crimes, including mental health issues, depictions of violence in television, movies, and video games, and firearms.

I know that dialogue regarding acts of violence will likely result in a wide range of legislative proposals seeking to address the underlying causes. As these pieces of legislation come before me in the Senate, I will keep your thoughts in mind.

I feel pretty good about this response.

Wolfsbane
January 13, 2013, 11:27 PM
I did. Kept it short and sweet.

I told them that I was a lifelong voter for their party but that I'd vote against anyone who proposed or voted for any laws that restricted any firearms ownership and any perpetuated the myth that there is any such thing as an assault rifle.

But Schumer is one of my senators so I'm not going to be holding my breath.

Can we please get a pro gun candidate to run and beat him in the next primary?

Vurtle
January 13, 2013, 11:52 PM
I have contacted several. I basically said that anyone who swore to defend the constitution and then tries to undermine it is a terrorist.

I just call them like I see em!

BHP FAN
January 14, 2013, 12:49 AM
I did, thanks to Ruger, I got to every one of my congress critters and representatives, and some I didn't even know I had. Kudos, Ruger.

BHP FAN
January 14, 2013, 12:52 AM
Stole this from the ''Ruger'' Thread...

http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

xsquidgator
January 14, 2013, 10:05 AM
I have used the NRA-ILA's tool once a week for the past 2 weeks to email my Rep and my Senators. I also wrote my own letter and faxed it to all 3. I've tried calling and find that discouraging, as most of them (two of them are anti-gun democrats) don't appear interested in phone calls and won't even try to determine if I'm a constituent etc. I hope that frequent faxes make more of an impression.

Hit_Factor
January 14, 2013, 10:11 AM
A couple times a week since this all started. From the president all the way down to my local state reps.

Hoppy
January 14, 2013, 10:26 AM
I contacted my rep and both senators, SW PA, directly through their websites. I have received responses from all three.

Rep Murphy talked about mental illness.
Sen. Toomey also talked about mental illness.
Sen. Casey said after much reflection :barf: he supports a ban on modern sporting rifles and hi- cap mags.

I have also contacted them through the handy Ruger take action site.
I remind my brother (newly minted gun owner) on a daily basis to get in touch.

I would like to re join NRA. I'm in between work at the moment (I'm self-unemployed) and will as soon as income starts up again. I've been a member several different times. I just wish there was a membership option where they would not send so much crap in the mail and use those funds to fight back.

2ifbyC
January 14, 2013, 10:52 AM
I have called and written both smail & email to my Congressman and both U.S. Senators.

I received the response below from my Congressman today:

Dear -----,

Thank you for contacting me about the tragic events that occurred at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Connecticut. This tragedy affected so many, and I am always glad to hear your thoughts, concerns, and opinions on the matter.

First, my thoughts and prayers are with all of those affected by the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. My deepest sympathies are with the families and loved ones of the staff and students who were killed or injured and those who witnessed this horrific event. We mourn the loss of the school children and adults whose lives were claimed by the heartbreaking acts on December 14, 2012.

We must now pause and reflect as to how we can prevent a repeat of the events in Newtown, Connecticut while preserving our liberties and values, including the right to bear arms. Our Constitution recognizes certain core liberties that we are endowed with by God—not by the Federal government. The right to defend oneself and one's family and property are among these. The founders of this country knew that having capable citizens willing to take up arms to defend the Republic was essential. For that reason, each individual was given the right to own, possess and responsibly use firearms.

In an effort to prevent other instances like the events in Newtown, we must also engage in a broader discussion that includes increased access to mental health care services. This should include educating the public about the warning signs of those who would harm themselves and others and addressing the stigma related to diagnosis and treatment. Most individuals with severe and persistent mental illness will not commit violent crimes but we need a system in place to recognize and intervene when a risk is posed.

It is crucial that we enforce existing gun laws already on the books. It is my hope that this tragedy results in solutions designed to prevent other similar occurrences.

Irresponsible and criminal use of arms cannot be tolerated, but I believe that using new gun control laws to address this case and others like it would be unwise and ineffective. The federal government must not sink to the lowest common denominator to punish responsible citizens and to infringe on Constitutional rights. I find it distasteful that some people seek to capitalize on a tragedy in order to trample on our Constitution for political gain.

Please know that as your Congressman, I fully support Second Amendment rights and the right to own and carry firearms in a responsible manner. I will oppose any unconstitutional efforts by the federal government to infringe upon Second Amendment rights. I have been a life-long supporter of responsible gun ownership. I have also been a hunter for most of my life, and I am well aware of our rights and duties relative to firearms. We must remain vigilant and enforce all of our constitutional rights, not simply pick and choose the ones we like. Our constitutional rights are not dependent upon which president, or which Congress, is in office.

Again, I appreciate your thoughts and concerns. It is a pleasure to serve Arizona as part of its Congressional Delegation. Your suggestions are always welcome, and if ever I may be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me. To receive the latest legislative updates and news you can sign up for my e-newsletter by visiting my website at www.gosar.house.gov.

Sincerely,

Paul A. Gosar, D.D.S.
Member of Congress

John McCain is on board as per comments made on Meet the Press; he stated no new gun bills would make it through Congress. Jeff Flake is a new Senator and I am waiting to hear his position.

It's a great feeling living in the wild, wild West.

bigfatdave
January 14, 2013, 11:07 AM
I wrote both senatecritters and my one representative with a generic "oppose further gun control"

I'll write again for various bills as they get numbers and text released (thanks to the Mod who has been putting them up, BTW)

Shame on anyone who isn't bothering to wrote their congressthings - if you have time to fart around on the forum, you have time to throw together a 5 sentence letter, run it through spellcheck, and send it off using the contact form on their websites. Take 10 minutes out of your day and write, even if they're rabid anti-gunners, you're establishing that they are NOT representing you and need to be fired next time around.

Kansan
January 14, 2013, 11:16 AM
Done, Kansas

If you enjoyed reading about "Who has contacted their Reps?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!