Yep! It's time for a picture thread!

PDA

heavyshooter
December 30, 2012, 05:13 PM
A friend recently treated me to a couple rounds of Trap Shooting. He brought his Benelli Supernova and a Beretta O/U (not sure of the model). I AM HOOKED!!! He beat me twice so now I have to get back at him. I am looking to buy a gun so I can practice and seek my revenge. I am using that as an excuse to have you post photos of you Skeet, Trap, and Sporting Clays shotguns. Also, please give me the reason you chose it. If you are unable to post a photo, then just give the make and model; along with the merits & vices of the gun.

I'm poor so my budget is about $700.00. Having seen that some guys are using guns that cost 10x that amount I can appreciate that my budget is low. But I am just getting started so give me a break.

Also, tell me about chokes. Which do I use for each discipline (Skeet, Trap, Sporting Clays)?

And, I noticed that most guys use Over/Under shotguns. Why are these beneficial over Pump Action and Semi-Auto.

Thanks,
Heavy

If you enjoyed reading about "Yep! It's time for a picture thread!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
browningguy
December 30, 2012, 06:11 PM
A decent semi auto will fill the bill, or a real expert can do the same with a pump (but not most of us). The main advantage to an O/U os the ability to use 2 different chokes in sporting clays when you need them. Absolutely no advantage in skeet though. And I did shoot Browning O/U's for about 25 years before switching to semi's.

It can be difficult to have one gun for all disciplines though, for skeet I like a 26" barrel for the additional speed, for sporting clays and trap I like a 30" because it's easier to keep swinging on longer shots. Just need a skeet choke for skeet, and usually 80-90% of Sporting Clays shots can be made with an IC choke, with an occasional Modified or Improved Modified needed. If you shoot with the big boys you will sometimes have 40+ yard shots needing a full choke, and those are the times that having the O/U will help.

A Mossberg 930, Remington or the cheapest Beretta will work pretty well as an entry gun for all the disciplines. Get 3 choke tubes in skeet, IC, modifed and you are good for most courses.

heavyshooter
December 31, 2012, 12:39 AM
Thanks browningguy, that was very helpful.

throdgrain
December 31, 2012, 04:32 AM
OK so you can't see the gun, but it is a round of Skeet anyway, and a bloke I know taking a clay FAR too late :)

http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/131406_10151098057861787_163270978_o.jpg

JAshley73
December 31, 2012, 09:18 AM
For $700 you can find lots of great guns to get you into the clay games. Personally, I use an 86' vintage Beretta semi-auto field gun. There's certainly nothing special about it - except it FITS ME great. That's the most critical part of picking out a gun, and it may well be a big reason why your friend was beating you. His gun may fit him well, but not you.

My gun is a 12 ga, has a 28" barrel, and takes screw in chokes. If would be hard for you to go wrong with these features, and you should be able to find no less than thousands of guns for sale that will do you well. For a first gun, I really don't think you need any kind of 'sporting' or 'trap' special gun. I'm still a beginner, use a standard (but good fitting) field gun, and am doing quite well on the trap range. I can't wait to get into some skeet and some sporting clays, but I doubt my gun will be a handicap...

Just decide what you would like in a gun, then try it to see if it fits. (For the record, most factory Remington, Beretta, and Benelli shotguns of any vintage seemed to fit me well. Most Browning, Winchester and Mossberg guns that I tried had too little drop in the stock for me...) With your $700 budget, you should be able to find any pump, a name-brand budget semi-auto, or maybe even an older bargain on a quality Over Under. Best of luck...

Oh, and for a little eye candy...

If you enjoyed reading about "Yep! It's time for a picture thread!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!