Recoil spring question in baby eagle 9mm

PDA

ryno31
December 30, 2012, 08:23 PM
Hello all,
I purchased an IWI Baby Desert Eagle (Jericho 941) full size 9mm from a pawn shop about 2 weeks ago for $325. It looked almost brand new although definetly one of the older imports by Magnum Research. I picked it up and it felt great, looked in great shape and must have been a safe queen for someone (everything appeared to be almost mint after I broke it down too) so I took it home. I racked it a couple of times and noticed a noise that sounded almost like the slide was scraping or grinding against the frame. I put my ear closer to the slide as I racked it and determined it was the recoil spring. The slide does feel a little too easy to rack and the hammer spring also doesn't seem to drop the hammer with very much force (at least to compared to my Beretta M9a1 or any other pistol I've racked). Being that this pistol is so lightly used can these springs go bad or lose tension if they were just sitting around for years and years? Is there another issue at play I should be worried about? I also haven't had the chance to fire it yet. Thank you for your feedback.

If you enjoyed reading about "Recoil spring question in baby eagle 9mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MachIVshooter
December 30, 2012, 08:39 PM
Springs don't weaken from being static, especially when not compressed. However, you have no idea how many rounds it's fired; I have guns that look barely used which have seen many thousands of rounds. Recoil springs do need to be replaced periodically, as compression/extension cycles are what wears springs. Just replace it. It's not like they're expensive, and you got a good price on the gun.

meanmrmustard
December 30, 2012, 09:57 PM
Springs actually are under more wear being static than being under pressure, then going into a pressured state.

If your slide was locked back, no biggie.
If your slide was forward and spring relaxed, no biggie.
It's the rapidity of compression that accelerates wear.

Over a decade working with springs every day will teach this.:)

meanmrmustard
December 30, 2012, 10:00 PM
Being that this pistol is so lightly used can these springs go bad or lose tension if they were just sitting around for years and years?yes.

1911Tuner
December 31, 2012, 05:08 AM
Springs actually are under more wear being static than being under pressure, then going into a pressured state.

Nope. Sorry. Springs soften by being cycled.

I had a personal involvement with a commercial Government Model that had laid in an attic in Condition One and 6 rounds in the magazine for a little over 62 years that functioned fine when test-fired.

I have several 1911 pistols in my safe that have been there for 5-6 years with the same springs. They're fine.

I've left magazines loaded for up to 3 years as an experiment...firing the ammunition once a year to test the longevity of Wolff's 11-pound springs. They're fine.

ku4hx
December 31, 2012, 05:57 AM
If you're worried about the recoil spring, get a new one for about $8. Cheap price to pay for peace of mind and if it doesn't address your condition, you have a spare.

http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/CZ/75%20Series/cID1/mID16/dID91

If you enjoyed reading about "Recoil spring question in baby eagle 9mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!