My Model 36 quest takes its first detour: Ruger Security Six

PDA

gossamer
December 30, 2012, 11:26 PM
I've been looking for M36s for a while. Saw some on GunBroker but nothing jumped out just yet. So today I went to Cabelas nearby just to check their stock. They have a pretty beat up M36 for around $450.

But right next to it was a pristine Ruger Security Six 4" BBL. This thing is immaculate. Nearly unshot. Nice tight cylinder, timing is great in each chamber. Just a dream. They had it priced at $380 which seemed very good compared to what theyre going for on GB in worse shape. So I had to get it. The serial number makes this one a 1977.

As soon as my transfer goes through (Cabela's is across state lines) I'll post pics.

For my first revolver I think I did pretty good. The M36 will have to wait a couple months but I figure I was supposed to have this Ruger. It's not a CCW gun, but it's a nice one nonetheless.

So, does anyone have any tips or advice for a Security Six Newbie?

Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "My Model 36 quest takes its first detour: Ruger Security Six" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
slick6
December 30, 2012, 11:41 PM
gossamer:

The Security-Six is a great revolver-it's as tough as nails and accurate. They are very reliable and are simple to disassemble/assemble. My advice is to never let that nice Security-Six go! Most folks that own them prefer to keep them!:D

bikerdoc
December 30, 2012, 11:49 PM
I still have my duty gun from the 80's great gun.

It's not a CCW gun.

I do, OWB in a paddle.

gossamer
December 31, 2012, 12:23 AM
Shoulda qualified that it's not a CCW gun for me. I'm barely 145lbs, a runner, ride a motorbike 9 months a year and summers get hot here so I rarely can handle more than a tshirt and jeans. Anything bigger than a M36 prints on me like I'm carrying a cinderock around on my belt.

bannockburn
December 31, 2012, 07:00 AM
Like slick6 said: a solid, dependable, well designed and built revolver which is easy to disassemble and service yourself. While the trigger isn't quite as smooth as a comparable S&W, it's still decent enough for any task at hand. You definitely found a one of the better ones there and at a very good price.

WaywardSon
December 31, 2012, 09:19 AM
The Security Six is a fine weapon. About 6 months ago I had a nephew leaving town & going to Texas to make a new life. He wanted a gun to make the move with him & came to me for advice....found a used Security Six at the LGS and finally managed to talk him into it. The $300 price tag probably sealed the deal.
Hard to buy more gun for that kind of money...would have bought it myself if he had not.

CajunBass
December 31, 2012, 11:36 AM
Good choice.

I'm a Smith & Wesson guy, but the Ruger Speed/Security Six revolvers are right up there.

To tell you the truth I've never been impressed with a "J frame" sized gun at all. Keep an eye out for a Security-Six with a 2 3/4" barrel. You'll love it.

Highland Ranger
December 31, 2012, 11:49 AM
That's a good detour in my book.

gossamer
December 31, 2012, 11:56 AM
I'd never given Ruger revolvers much thought. Which is weird because one of my rifles is a Ruger Hawkeye and it's a dependable, no BS, easy to clean weapon.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm glad to read that I headed off in the right direction.

Pudge
December 31, 2012, 12:02 PM
I reccomend a Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake with IWB straps. Allows IWB or OWB carry in a secure reasonably priced very workable and comfortable holster. You could definately CCW under a jacket when weather allows. Also perhaps a Tyler-T grip depending on the grips.

19-3Ben
December 31, 2012, 12:05 PM
So, does anyone have any tips or advice for a Security Six Newbie?

Try to wear it out. That's the best advice I have. See if you can put so much ammo down the pipe that you wear out the gun. that'll be a nice challenge for you and keep you busy for the next 5 lifetimes.

gossamer
December 31, 2012, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the advice on a holster and grips, Pudge. I will check them out. I found a set of oversized wood grips on the Ruger site that are some backstock from the 80s. I ordered them because at $10 how could I go wrong?

19-Ben: I will try to wear it out, but from what I'm reading and hearing I have a hunch either my daughter or niece are going to be challenging their grandkids to do the same thing to it.

roaddog28
December 31, 2012, 06:26 PM
The Ruger Six line of revolvers is the best double action revolver Ruger ever made. Its too bad Ruger stopped making them.
Here is my Police Service Six 4 inch. Well worn and alot of rounds put through it. Still lockups up tighter that my Smiths.
http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu283/HPitt74985/RugerServiceSix.jpg

Boxhead
December 31, 2012, 06:38 PM
Though larger than the Smith, you bought the better piece IMO. My SS snubby.

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa437/boxhead61/DSC00626_zps0c071399.jpg

rswartsell
December 31, 2012, 08:03 PM
Snub nose revolvers, for many reasons are not on the introductory curriculum for new revolver shooters. You may have an angel on your shoulder becuase it is entirely likely that the 4" Security Six is a far better choice for your first revolver and will be a versitile tool for the rest of your life. IMHO you also bought it well from description and they are becoming increasingly hard to find, I will concur with those who feel you should plan to keep it for the long haul.

It will be a better training platform for revolver shooting (yes, that is different in some very important areas from semi's). It is an absolutely great choice for "duty" work, and CAN be concealed under certain circumstances.

Would a 36 be a better CCW? For whom? For someone well trained in revolvers and familiar with small frame short barrels, likely so. That is different from first revolver. Small frame short barrels (the 36 being an excellent example of the breed) will amplify any flaws in your technique so that it could be very difficult to place the first (or subsequent) shot on target. Handguns are worse than worthless if you cannot hit with them. It is far from impossible to train for the technique that would allow you to be effective with a "snubby" wheelgun. It does take some work though and the process of becoming proficient (accurate, relatively quick, competent in reload) using the Ruger will be very valuable.

Deaf Smith
December 31, 2012, 08:24 PM
Security/Speed Six's and S&W M66 Combat Magnums are my favorites.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=63945&d=1287617435

And I like 'em short.

The Security Six shown I turned into a round butt (like a Speed Six) and added Secret Service Speed Six wood stocks. I slickened up the action and it shoots dead on. Zero-zero tight (that is no crane shake, end shake, cylinder shake.) Good tight gun.

And yep, I have it's 4 inch brother to.

Deaf

gossamer
December 31, 2012, 08:58 PM
rswartsell; this is great information. I'm researching the technique differences between the two platforms. I'm far from a deadeye with a Semiauto but I'm getting better with reps.

I think this detour was preordained in terms of the learning and proficiency process. So I definitely agree with you that this is the gun I was supposed to find at this point.

Thanks again to all for your considerate feedback and have a safe new year.

rswartsell
December 31, 2012, 09:41 PM
Congrats again! Great snag and for Happy New Year, U2.

dscampbell
December 31, 2012, 10:18 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/01/zumy3e4y.jpg
This 2 3/4 " security six is in its third life. Duty weapon For an officer in a Northern California PD, Then passed on to an army warrant officer for two tours in Vietnam and then passed on to me. It has become my favorite Ruger DA revolver

Scott Campbell
Remember wheel guns are real guns too
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Cooldill
January 1, 2013, 10:26 AM
Friend's dad had a Speed Six 3" barrel. Only shot it a few times but boy was it a real nice piece.

scaatylobo
January 1, 2013, 11:16 AM
I had a SS as one of my very first handguns and I used it when I worked security and then as an armored courier on an armored truck.

It shot very well and after you get used to the trigger [ not near as smooth as S&W's ] ,and I did VERY well shooting for qual every year = shot 200 out of 200.

But I sold it off after becoming an LEO as they issued me a S&W # 10 [ that I still own ] and I regret selling it .

I did get a replacement for it about 2 years ago,its a SS but blue [ mine was stainless ] and this one has a 2 3/4" barrel where as mine had 4" .

This one actually shoots better [ or I learned how to shoot better :)].

Its true that they are about indestructable.so enjoy and look at the Wolff spring kit to improve the trigger.

gossamer
January 1, 2013, 06:27 PM
Scaty: do you think the Wolff kit is something a novice cpuld install himself in an SS or would I be better off taking it to a smith?

rswartsell
January 1, 2013, 08:30 PM
gossamer,

You may well go down that road, but shouldn't you work with what you have first to establish the need or not for spring change? No disrespect for scaty, I'll give him props. I say form a baseline first.

gossamer
January 1, 2013, 09:12 PM
I agree. Not looking to change anything for a few months at least - if ever. I'm just asking because I usually like to budget for these things and being a new gun I have no idea of what to keep in mind for cost. Springs look inexpensive, but I've never had any work done on a gun to know a cost for that.

rswartsell
January 1, 2013, 09:18 PM
as far as what is involved in the aforementioned spring change. The Ruger is a completely different animal as far as architecture and internals that the Smith paradigm.

I'm sure a Ruger familiar will be along to answer this.

marv
January 2, 2013, 01:05 AM
My detour took the opposite turn. In early 80's when stainless handguns were just coming into vogue I read all I could find on them. There was plenty and I decided on the Ruger SecSix 4" stainless. Couldn't find one right away but I found a S&W M67. Got my SS later and I'm gonna keep 'em both.

stevehenry1
January 2, 2013, 01:39 AM
:) I've had a SS 4 inch for YEARS. Biggest problem is mine is the original model (170 series if I remember right) It had a flared butt, and finding grips for it is a frustration. I had wanted Pacmyers, but they didn't make them for the original series. Another problem- with cheap range rounds the cylinder would start dragging-bad. The face was leading up and, with Rugers tight gap was the problem. The only way I found to clean it was to shave it with sharp knife. Done right, it won't hurt the cylinder-- much better than a file.

I tried aftermarket springs a long time ago ( before Wolff) It would only fire single action. The trigger spring was ok, but not the hammer. I don't know about Wolff springs, this was in the 70's

bikerdoc
January 4, 2013, 08:15 AM
Gratuitous Pics of mine

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/bikerdoc1948/IMG_1256.jpg

gossamer
January 4, 2013, 11:09 PM
Those are great looking. Is the shorter bbl a 2 3/4"?

TwoNiner
January 5, 2013, 05:10 AM
Congrats on picking up a security six. I've always wanted to own/shoot one of the "pre-GP" security/service/speed sixes. I have an uncle with one and I should bend his arm to let me try it out. Make sure to let us know how she shoots.

I concur with rswartsell that the security is a better platform for a first revolver than a model 36. I have a model 36 and it is challenging to shoot well, akin a newbie to jumping in on a game of poker with a group of guys that have been playing together for 20 years. Snubbies will pluck you like a pigeon if you're not careful!

slick6
January 5, 2013, 12:55 PM
Those are great looking. Is the shorter bbl a 2 3/4"?
Yes, bikedoc's shorter barrel old frame Security-Six has the 2-3/4" barrel. I have a few of these in my collection.

bikerdoc
January 6, 2013, 09:35 AM
Yes, Slick6 got it right.

If you enjoyed reading about "My Model 36 quest takes its first detour: Ruger Security Six" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!