I need a gun case

PDA

txcookie
December 31, 2012, 07:08 PM
I have rifles ML's and pistols all over the house. The wife is sick of it and has green lighted a gun case. We move alot being military so Its not gonna be a highend gun safe. I have a 400ish budget and want somthing thats simple and can hold 15-20 rifles.
looking at one at wally world for 399 sentrysafe with elock??? shouldc i trust an electronic lock???
Any advice is very welcome

If you enjoyed reading about "I need a gun case" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gazpacho
December 31, 2012, 07:20 PM
The question then is how secure do you want it to be?

My first suggestion would be a Stack-On gun cabinet. Simple and cheap, but a little low on the secure side. If you can find some floor space, lie it on its back and lay in one layer of ammunition on the bottom. That makes it heavier than all get out, and difficult for someone to just haul it out. You could also bolt it through the back to a wall stud, or the floor.

When you get moving orders, just unload it, and it should be light enough to just pick it up. I don't know if there is a padlock model, but that would improve the level of security a little.

col_temp
January 1, 2013, 04:29 AM
Ditto gazpacho.
That is what I ended up getting. Most of the stack-ons (And other) will allow you to bolt to the back, floor and sometimes the sides. Give you lots of options. Make sure you get permission to drill the holes though! You could probably cable lock it to something if you can bolt it. And a layer or two of ammo would weigh it down nicely.

this thread probably belongs elsewhere and will likely get moved soon.

As too electronic locks. there are plenty of threads on that. For a good secure safe the mechanical is always more reliable. I have electronic locks on mine so I can actually get it open in the dark and quickly. Not something easily done with a mechanical.
So depend on if you have kids around, need access quickly.
Do a search and read some of the discussions on safes, there is a locksmith or two who are regular contributors. you will find their comments helpful in getting all the facts.

VVelox
January 1, 2013, 08:24 AM
If it is a electric combination, I would not worry, as long as you keep the batteries in it good.

If it is biometric, I would not trust it. The reason for that is I've seen like a 5% error rate in all the ones I dealt with and that is not something I would want to risk if time is critical. So if you do go that route, I suggest not store any defensive firearms behind it.

Dr. Sandman
January 1, 2013, 09:57 PM
+1 on the stackon products. They keep the kids out and the honest people honest. Minimum protection at a minimum price. I have one and I love it.

If you enjoyed reading about "I need a gun case" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!