Local Walmart rationing ammo

PDA

TarDevil
December 31, 2012, 08:25 PM
"...limit five boxes per customer until supply matches demand."

If only five boxes were available!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Local Walmart rationing ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ApacheCoTodd
December 31, 2012, 10:08 PM
While by definition that may be "rationing" I figure when folk do this it's to keep speculators at bay much like combating scalpers with venue tickets. Nothing insidious here folks.

PabloJ
January 1, 2013, 01:52 AM

That is very reasonable of them. It's not right one guy gets ten and next fella zero.

col_temp
January 1, 2013, 03:05 AM
Note that Cabela's is limiting to ten boxes for all types of ammo. So Wally is following suit.
Not to surprising with the panic buying out there.

cheeze
January 1, 2013, 03:47 AM
Mine has had a 2 box limit for over a year.

Inebriated
January 1, 2013, 05:03 AM
There's been a 6-round limit at the local ones since the dawn of time...lol

Deer_Freak
January 1, 2013, 05:23 AM
A lot of gun shops are going to walmart and buying all the ammo on the shelf. They know walmart only gets so much ammo per delivery

Inebriated
January 1, 2013, 05:25 AM
^Who's doing that?

Hacker15E
January 1, 2013, 08:03 AM
My local WM has had a two-box limit occasionally (including currently).

rodinal220
January 1, 2013, 10:31 AM
Depends on each store.Some are limiting purchases,some are not.

jhop73
January 1, 2013, 10:43 AM
The Cabela's in Dundee Michigan has a 5 box per person limit.

BCCL
January 1, 2013, 12:37 PM
My local WM did this in 2009, 5 box per customer, per day for several months.

It got so bad, guys were coming in everyday just waiting for ammo to be brought out, and then speed dialing friends with their cell phones telling them "it's here"...and the swarm would descend.

travisd
January 1, 2013, 02:26 PM
The Scheels here has a limit of 500 round of handgun ammo and 1000 of rifle per person. Not much of a limit IMO. Walmart was out of most of the calibers a ling time ago.

DeepSouth
January 1, 2013, 02:29 PM
Midway is limiting magazines to two on backorders.

Fair enough.

stolivar
January 1, 2013, 07:42 PM
Have seen people at walmart buying ammo for their stores.

steve

JVaughn
January 1, 2013, 07:45 PM
I have been to my local Wal-Mart about 4 or 5 times in the last 2 weeks. I always check the ammo just to see what is going on (I did this before the panic started too.) I usually buy something, always with cash, it's a weekly activity of mine.

Lately, they have had .270 30-06 and 12GA bird shot, precious little else. They can't keep up either.

BSA1
January 1, 2013, 08:10 PM
That is very reasonable of them. It's not right one guy gets ten and next fella zero.

But what about the people that can not afford to buy any ammo? The poor have the right and probably a greater need for S.D. than other groups.

Jorg Nysgerrig
January 1, 2013, 08:40 PM
The Scheels here has a limit of 500 round of handgun ammo and 1000 of rifle per person.
Most folks will run out of money before being able to buy that much ammo at Scheel's prices. :)

But what about the people that can not afford to buy any ammo? The poor have the right and probably a greater need for S.D. than other groups.
What does that have to do with Walmart limiting ammo purchases?

Hunterdad
January 1, 2013, 08:44 PM
Buddy picked up 15 boxes yesterday with no issue.

smalls
January 1, 2013, 09:49 PM
So buy 5, have the wife but 5, and BS with the guy, ask when he's off work, then come back and repeat.

wally
January 1, 2013, 09:58 PM
Here the limit here has been 4 to 6 depending on who is behind the counter as far as I can tell. The few times we've been able to get 6 it was pretty much all they had, even well before the current panic.

Be glad its not a two or one box limit, It'd be a great way to get you coming back every day or two in the hopes of getting you to also buy something else.

We used to hit Walmart every 4-5 weeks to stock up on ammo and cat litter, but now that Kroger has a cat litter brand my wife likes better, we now generally only go to Walmart for ammo so its a wasted trip when they are out :(

Luckily SPG had a 525 Federal Bulk pack sale that made the price the same as Walmart so I ordered 12 boxes and had it delivered just before the craziness started.

Rom828
January 1, 2013, 10:01 PM
Today the neighbor got his drivers license scanned while buying ammo, never heard of that before. Clerk said it was a new store policy.

4thHorseman
January 1, 2013, 10:19 PM

That must be a Wally World store rule. Each store seems to post its own regulations. Here in my area, as many boxes of ammo you can afford to buy... :)

PabloJ
January 2, 2013, 06:39 AM
Today the neighbor got his drivers license scanned while buying ammo, never heard of that before. Clerk said it was a new store policy.
At Walmart located in 'The Crib' there is no ammo sales after 10PM. Store policy.

MagnumDweeb
January 2, 2013, 09:59 AM
A few weeks back when I bought the last eight boxes of .45 ACP (all Tula) I saw a scum bag pawn broker I know coming sidling up. I don't think he recognized me. He 's notorious for lying to customers and taking advantage of people. When I went into his store one time he had boxes of ammo marked twenty dollars up over walmarts prices and the boxes were beat up and looking like they had sat in someone's closet for a few years. He didn't like it when i told him Walmart's prices. I sat and watched him in action.

He spent a few minutes perusing and walked out with twenty boxes of .40 and talking about reselling them with the clerk. At one of my friend's work (she works at Walmart) the associates are picking up ammo and reselling it on Gunbroker when they can. I have her pick me up a box or two of ammo at a time once a month (her and her kids eat at my house once a month for free, and i give her money for the ammo).

I appreciate the limit. It means a better chance for the rest of us to get some ammo from time to time (in six box allotments).

Slipknot_Slim
January 2, 2013, 10:48 AM
A few weeks back when I bought the last eight boxes of .45 ACP (all Tula) I saw a scum bag pawn broker I know coming sidling up. I don't think he recognized me. He 's notorious for lying to customers and taking advantage of people. When I went into his store one time he had boxes of ammo marked twenty dollars up over walmarts prices and the boxes were beat up and looking like they had sat in someone's closet for a few years. He didn't like it when i told him Walmart's prices. I sat and watched him in action.

He spent a few minutes perusing and walked out with twenty boxes of .40 and talking about reselling them with the clerk. At one of my friend's work (she works at Walmart) the associates are picking up ammo and reselling it on Gunbroker when they can. I have her pick me up a box or two of ammo at a time once a month (her and her kids eat at my house once a month for free, and i give her money for the ammo).

I appreciate the limit. It means a better chance for the rest of us to get some ammo from time to time (in six box allotments).
If the associates are using their discount to purchase ammo and then reselling it, that could come back to bite them.

Dr. Sandman
January 2, 2013, 07:54 PM
If I owned a gun shop, I would mark up the ammo prices instead of rationing. That would keep some on the shelves and discourage the hoarders. IMHO, everybody should buy a small reserve of ammo when they buy their gun. That way nobody will be forced to buy at higher prices every few years when the panics hit. A fool and his money are soon parted. This current panic is no exception.

Gaucho Gringo
January 2, 2013, 08:11 PM
I stocked up on ammo before the "Craziness" started. I even bought .43 Spanish for my RB rifle, 2000 rounds of .22 WRF to go with my 5,000 rounds of .22 LR and black powder for my percussion pistols. I even bought over 2,500 rounds for guns I didn't even own, but now have on order. One thing I forgot to buy is .32 auto but it is cheap enough.

Randall53
January 2, 2013, 10:07 PM
When the last rush occurred about four years ago, i lived in a kinda small town and couldn't find much of anything in the ammo line. I kept going to the local Walmart after work and kept hearing they had got a shipment in but sold out in just a few hours. I finally found out that a local pawnshop was getting a phone call when the shipment got there and the pawnbroker would show up and buy just about everything that came in and then re-sell at his shop at a sizable markup. I think a limit per customer is a good thing....stop AH's like that guy sticking it to everybody else in the town.

Pussywillow
January 3, 2013, 01:43 PM
The WalMarts I've been to have had a 100-round limit policy for several years. They only stock 100 rounds of any caliber in the cabinet at a single time. And the Blue Hairs working the counter aren't going to walk back and get more for you if your caliber isn't available in the case.

If you enjoyed reading about "Local Walmart rationing ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!