Swap AMSEC ESL10XL for mechanical lock?

PDA

elg1
January 1, 2013, 03:11 AM
Just put a hold on an AMSEC BF7240 that has an ESL10XL electronic lock, black nickel. I'd prefer a mechanical lock, and the dealer will order and install whatever I want (for a nominal fee, of course). My concerns are:

1. Voiding warranty - if dealer installs, warranty should not be voided, but I am still nervous about creating a potential point of contention.
2. Installation screwing something up - should not be an issue with professional installation, but chalk this concern up to my general paranoia.

I don't know if my preference for a mechanical lock outweighs my concerns. Any recommendations? If I decide to go with mechanical, should I consider the standard AMSEC mechanical, or just go straight to the S&G group I or II option?

Anyone know of a decent electronic with a manual bypass (key)?

If you enjoyed reading about "Swap AMSEC ESL10XL for mechanical lock?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
a1abdj
January 1, 2013, 11:38 AM
There is no problem with having a qualified person swap those locks. Is your AMSEC dealer an actual safe company, or just a retailer selling their gun safes? If the latter, I may not trust them to do it.

AMSEC is the only safe manufacturer that offers their own UL rated electronic lock, but they do not have their own UL rated mechanical lock. They often use a Big Red lock on their gun safes, which like most mechanical locks, is a S&G clone. Most of my customers tend to think it feels like a nicer lock than the S&G.

A UL rated lock is important, and due to the security requirements, are not available with a key back up. If the lock has a key bypass, I would steer clear.

elg1
January 1, 2013, 12:25 PM
Dealer is a local Locksmith and Safe shop that is a distributor for AMSEC. Would you recommend group I?

I suppose the safe shop will order and install whichever S&G I chose, independent of AMSEC.

a1abdj
January 1, 2013, 12:58 PM
Group 1 mechanical locks are rated against manipulation attempts. This type of security is usually not needed on a gun safe (or most safes for that matter).

As far as S&G goes, the 6730 is the standard for commercial applications, and works well as a gun safe lock. S&G also has black nickle dials and rings.

CB900F
January 1, 2013, 05:53 PM
ELG1;

I concur with A1abdj. If the retailer is an ALOA/SAVTA member, there should be no problem whatsoever. If you go to a group 1 lock, I'll predict that it'll prove to be money better spent elsewhere.

900F

If you enjoyed reading about "Swap AMSEC ESL10XL for mechanical lock?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!