Ruger LCP 380 - the bad?

PDA

d-dogg
January 1, 2013, 09:37 AM
Looking to replace my self destructed 380 (see my Davis P380 thread), I've been searching for a 380 to replace it.

Quality for the price, I always find myself coming back to Rugers.

Other than the trigger pull, which seems to be a frequent complaint, are there any other things I may not like about the LCP?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger LCP 380 - the bad?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Johnny Lightning
January 1, 2013, 09:44 AM
The sights are not the best either but it is still a great pocket pistol. I carry one and trust it 100%. Check out the bodyguard also, it is a nice package at a good price.

FloriDave
January 1, 2013, 10:24 AM
I like the LCP. Carry it a lot more than I thought I would, and after a few hundred rounds I've had no failures of any kind.
I put a shotgun bead front sight on it and also a lasermax laser. Recluse holster most of the time.

http://www.daveharper.com/inetphotos/RugerLCPsight2.jpg

PabloJ
January 1, 2013, 10:35 AM
Looking to replace my self destructed 380 (see my Davis P380 thread), I've been searching for a 380 to replace it.

Quality for the price, I always find myself coming back to Rugers.

Other than the trigger pull, which seems to be a frequent complaint, are there any other things I may not like about the LCP?
The only two things I disliked about it is slide did not stay open after last shot and the slide
would rust easily particularly around the finger serrations. Thought I have seen them with chromed slide if so that is the one I would get. When shooting at 10 yards or less I found the sights to be perfectly adequate. It is difficult little pistol to shoot well with.

wally
January 1, 2013, 10:41 AM
My biggest complaint is several times the mag catch button has somehow pressed and released the mag while in my carry holster.

heeler
January 1, 2013, 10:57 AM
Mine has been 100% since the day I bought it.
It replaced a Diamondback that self destructed and was replaced by DB only to have the second one self destruct and was repaired and after that I bought the LCP and sold the DB.
I am sure you will love your LCP.
I like mine so much I actually bought a second one as a spare in case something ever happens to my current one such as theft,confiscation,etc.

kerreckt
January 1, 2013, 11:31 AM
Everyone, including Ruger, has been copying the Kel-tec products when it comes to these types of guns. Why not buy a Kel-tec? I have two a P3AT and a PF9 and they have been flawless. I have carried the P3AT for about 3 years. Shoot a magazine through it about bi-weekly. Never a single problem with any ammo including my handloads. Same with the PF9(vehicle gun). There is a reason everyone tries to copy these....they work.

momano
January 1, 2013, 11:40 AM
Mine has been totally reliable; not a single malfunction. At that price point, it's the best in class IMHO. I never could keep my P3AT running. A dab of orange paint on the front sight and a Hogue grip and you'll have a real shooter.

dwstone1227
January 1, 2013, 12:27 PM
I have a Ruger LCP with about 500 rounds through it. I did put a Crimson Trace on it and I really like the CT. I have two "complaints" about the LCP.
1. Trigger pull. I understand this is a safety issue so I can live with this
2. The slide does not lock back after the last round. This one bothers me. I realize I should "always" count my rounds however, in a high stress situation, I seriously doubt I could count each round.

If I had it do do over, I would do the Kahr.

heeler
January 1, 2013, 12:31 PM
kerreckt..The reason I chose the LCP over the P3AT is because the fit and finish was noticeably better and on the LCP you CAN lock the slide back which after owning the Diamondback I never want a semi auto that the slide cannot be locked back.
They may have copied some aspects of the P3AT but certainly not all.
Even my KelTec P32 slide can be locked back.

colorado_handgunner
January 1, 2013, 12:35 PM
My biggest complaint is several times the mag catch button has somehow pressed and released the mag while in my carry holster.

This was an issue for me too.

The sights are terrible. I could never use them.

The gun is so small it would shift in my hands after every shot making follow up shots impossible.

I could never keep more than 50 percent on paper at 5 yards. With all my other guns I can keep 100 percent in a 4" hole at 10 yards and 95 percent on paper at 24 yards.

Needless to say it got traded for a Kahr CW9 with none of these issues.

Also tried a Diamond Back, but it is so vulnerable to limp rising you have to keep it 100 percent straight (perpendicular to horizontal for the math folks) or you will experience all sorts of failures. Could not get a full mag out of it without a failure.

Might I suggest a Smith j-frame? Fits in the pocket almost as well as the lcp and has been totally reliable.

"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence"
George Washington

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have,"
Gerald Ford

3twelves
January 1, 2013, 01:29 PM
Hated mine sold it for a PF9.

Ammo just as expensive as 9mm
Was not 100% reliable

Paul7
January 1, 2013, 01:37 PM
Mine was completely unreliable, Ruger finally gave me a refund after it went back to them three times, and they were jerks about it. The scary part is the real problems didn't start until after 200 rounds. I now have a new Colt Mustang in .380 and really like it. The only .380 I've really enjoyed shooting.

3twelves
January 1, 2013, 01:40 PM
Mine was completely unreliable, Ruger finally gave me a refund after it went back to them three times, and they were jerks about it. The scary part is the real problems didn't start until after 200 rounds. I now have a new Colt Mustang in .380 and really like it. The only .380 I've really enjoyed shooting.
Same with mine it, was good up to 200 rounds then it started FTF every other shot. Polished the ramp with no help.

Dentite
January 1, 2013, 04:07 PM
What are you looking to do with it? Pocket carry? Back-up gun? If so then I think it's a good option. I've only put about 100 rounds through it so I can't say it's going to be 100% reliable forever but so far so good. I did depress the mag release with my hand while shooting once and the mag dropped out a 1/4" or so and the round didn't feed right. I haven't had that problem since it happened.

If you are looking for a shooter, then look for something bigger and with better sights. Beretta 84 or something similar.

Hope that helps.

Also tried a Diamond Back, but it is so vulnerable to limp rising you have to keep it 100 percent straight (perpendicular to horizontal for the math folks) or you will experience all sorts of failures. Could not get a full mag out of it without a failure.

Not sure if I'm a "math folk" but are you shooting the gun straight up in the air? ;)

colorado_handgunner
January 1, 2013, 04:10 PM
Not sure if I'm a "math folk" but are you shooting the gun straight up in the air? ;)

More accurate statement would have been a perpendicular bi-section of the horizontal by the slide. :P :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

d-dogg
January 1, 2013, 04:13 PM
It would serve dual duty Dentite. Both as a pocket carry, and as a range gun because it is small enough for my kids' hands.

(a little bit of kick for a 12 year old, but she's gotta learn to handle that sometime)

dw2169
January 1, 2013, 04:23 PM
LCP had to much trigger pull. I think i am going to get a Taurus TCP 380. The slide locks back after the last round is fired and it has a much easier trigger pull. I am still trying to make up my mind.

FloriDave
January 1, 2013, 04:34 PM
Great pocket gun, can always CCW it and I love mine, but lowsy range gun for a 12 year old girl.

Sent from my g04ref using Tapatalk 2

2wheels
January 1, 2013, 06:59 PM
The good?

It's tiny, lightweight, and therefore easy to carry.

The bad?

It's tiny, lightweight, and therefore not easy to shoot. Not to mention the iffy trigger and the nonexistent sights.

My choice for a .380 pocket gun is the Sig P238, but it's much more expensive.

History.Doc
January 1, 2013, 07:32 PM
The bad is that shooting them seems like punishment so it isn't that fun to practice with it.

wrench
January 1, 2013, 07:32 PM
Mine has been a fabulous pocket pistol. Very reliable with both factory ammo and reloads.
It's not a target pistol, and it's not a range gun, especially (IMO) for a youngster.
Still, I don't think it's that bad to shoot, peppy, but not brutal.

History.Doc
January 1, 2013, 07:44 PM
The bad is that shooting them seems like punishment so it isn't that fun to practice with it.

Magichelmt
January 1, 2013, 07:46 PM
Mine has been great. I shoot the hell out of it. My buddy has the laser on his and it has held zero pretty well. I have a Recluse holster and have painted the sights on it. My uncle just bought a Taurus .380 and one thing I did like on it was the slide hold open on the last round. Both have the heavy trigger, but that is not a deal breaker. Good luck.

Yarddog
January 1, 2013, 08:03 PM
LCP Is NOT a range gun,,,It's a CC gun that is a last resort at 5 yrds you should be able to put all rounds on papper JMO ; ) PS you could shoot a mag or two once a week/month to keep in tune :D

Y/D

MikeJackmin
January 1, 2013, 08:26 PM
I filed down the plastic mag release button on my Kel-Tec, because it would sometimes get pressed when carried. After that it's been fine.

I'd suggest the same mod on the ruger.

These are not easy guns to shoot, but boy are they easy to carry. Lots of power for such a little gun.

sean326
January 1, 2013, 08:26 PM
I've carried mine every day for a couple years, I also have a home shooting range so I make it a point to put a couple mags through it every week.

I carry mine just in my pocket and it kept releasing the mag. I called ruger and they said that they had gotten some complaints about it but made no modifications. They offered to send me annother mag release button. I questioned them why since they said they made no mods. The very nice customer service guy laughed and said because we find that we have to send them out after the people who call and complain grind them down and screw them up. I'm just saving you annother potential call. So they sent me a new mag button and spring. I pulled mine out and ground it down a little, reblued it and reinstalled it fine. it now takes a purposefull push like most of my guns to release, I don't carry a spare mag so that's not an issue for speed reloading and my mag hasn't dropped out since.

The front sight kinda sucks. I just painted it with some fluorescent, luminous gunsight paint.

dab102999
January 1, 2013, 08:41 PM
I bought one for a really good price. Wife and did not enjoy shooting it and as said sights suck. Put a $11 houge grip on it and painted sights and her and I always put 50 rounds or better thru it at least once a month when we go shooting. Look up laserlyte and for $85 you can put a nice, accurate, easy to use and fits in every holster. Trigger pull still Sucks but don't know if I would want a lighter trigger pull on a pocket gun.

Imdgatorh8r
January 1, 2013, 08:56 PM
Love my LCP.. I got it for summer time carry... my only complaint was that I had a couple of jams when tried steel jacket... Will not shoot steel jacket anymore..It likes brass best.. great cc pistol.. at 15 yards much more accurate than I ever imagined...Great close up pistol for the money,

kokapelli
January 1, 2013, 09:00 PM
The TCP would be a significant step up for a reasonable price.

Better trigger, better sights less felt recoil, locks back on last round and it comes with two magazines.

Reefinmike
January 1, 2013, 09:01 PM
I was trying to pick between the lcp, p3at and tcp 6 months ago and settled on the tcp. IMO, it has the best trigger of all, its the only one that locks back on the last shot and comes with a spare mag. Plus, its the heaviest of them all(still only 10 ounces) which helps a bit with recoil. certainly not a fun range gun but I put a few mags through each week to ensure its functioning properly. I have put nearly 1,000 reloads through it without a problem.

Okie45
January 1, 2013, 10:37 PM
The magazine will pop out of mine if I shoot the magazine with the finger extension on it. Shoots the flush fitting magazine just fine. Looks like the magazine latch is worn inside the gun. I'm thinking the extra pressure from my finger is causing it to pop out. Started to happen around the 200 round count. Looks like she'll have to go in for repair. Other than that problem, its accurate and easy to conceal.

weblance
January 1, 2013, 10:57 PM
I gave up on the LCP because it was unreliable. Even after an extensive Fluff & Buff, I would always have some kind of malfunction while shooting it at the range. I bought a SIg P238, and never looked back. You know that feeling after you sell a gun, and then wish you hadn't...? NOPE, I dont have that feeling for the LCP. The Sig has a stainless slide, stainless magazines, 7+1, real Tritium sights, and locks open on an empty magazine. Its a pleasure to shoot, soaks up the recoil so much better that the LCP. Its simply in another league altogether. I have a nephew who is Law Enforcement. All the officers in his department carry a Sig 238 as a backup. That was good enough for me. When I was deciding what to replace my LCP with, I read about all the comparable size, and cost guns. There were complaints about every one. The only complaint about the Sig, was the cost. Save up some money, buy the Sig.

Dentite
January 2, 2013, 12:19 AM
d-dogg:

LCP would be at about the bottom of a list of guns I would advise for a 12yo girl. Do you have a .22LR pistol? If not, look at picking one up. Perfect to learn the fundamentals without developing a flinch anticipating recoil. For centerfire handguns I would recommend a medium to large frame .38 special with at least a 4" barrel (low recoil) or a full size semi auto in 9mm (also low recoil).

LCP is not "fun" to shoot. You want something fun to shoot for your daughter so she will want to keep doing it!

Kramer Krazy
January 2, 2013, 12:28 AM
LCP is not "fun" to shoot. You want something fun to shoot for your daughter so she will want to keep doing it!
This is definitely true. I had difficulties shooting 50 rounds through mine the other weekend as it would twist in my hand and the trigger guard would smack the side of my trigger finger - beating the meat of the cuticle into the edge of the fingernail. I'm surprised it didn't draw blood. Then again, my hands are rather large and the grip of the pistol is really small and the trigger pull is too short for me, resulting in a lighter grip than I usually shoot with.

TurkeyOak
January 2, 2013, 12:36 AM
I don't mind the trigger pull. I look at it as a safety feature. It is reassuring to know I'm not going to fire it without really wanting too.
I painted the sights, yellow in front and white in rear, so sighting isnt an issue.
I really wished the slide stayed open on empty. I just switch after two "duds" so it doesnt slow me down much.
It isnt fun to shoot, being snappy. I consider it a 6 shot derringer. However, a .38 Spl is just as snappy, twice as big, and harder to reload, to the LCP works fine for me.
I often carry it in my shirt pocket.

herkyguy
January 2, 2013, 10:46 AM
dumped an LCP years ago. i liked the size for CCW, but also want any gun i own to be at least mildly fun to shoot, which the LCP was not. So i dumped it and years later picked up at Sig P238. It's a bit larger, but the sights are great and it is mild to shoot. pretty looking too. External safety though....so something to consider.

ceetee
January 2, 2013, 01:58 PM
Ours has been completely reliable from day one. We only have a few hundred rounds through it, though. It does have a pretty stiff trigger pull, and the sights are pretty hard to pick up in anything but the best light. Combine that with the stiff recoil you get with shooting even a powder-puff caliber out of such a small handgun and it's hard to shoot accurately. I wouldn't advise putting it in the hands of anyone under 16 unless you've given them a chance to bang away with some form of .22 first, so they know that not all guns kick like that.

That said, i won't be selling ours any time soon. I put a Crimsin Trace laser on it (which came with a nice pocket holster) and that modification alone chaanged its nature completely. It used to be quite a bear to shoot - only accurate at extremely close ranges. Once I had the laser sighted in, I was easily printing 3-4" groups at 25 yards. it's the pistol I carry when I can't (or don't choose to) carry anything bigger.

leadchucker
January 2, 2013, 02:12 PM
I do HATE that loooooong trigger pull. I would prefer a more single-action type trigger... and a safety. Aside from that, the LCP is the finest little pocket gun made.

Fiv3r
January 2, 2013, 06:22 PM
I love mine. Unlike so many who post on the internet, my daily commute is not rife with zombies, bears, or gangs of riffraff hopped up on PCP and Bath Salts. In short, even though I carry a larger pistol when I can, the LCP is ALWAYS on my person.

Over a few hundred rounds it has been 100% short of some light primer strikes on Tula ammo. Of course, the only handguns that I can get to run that stuff consistently are my Glocks. It fits in my back pocket in a custom holster I made for it that holds the spare mag as well. I can wear it with any dress attire I like. No dressing around the gun, just slip it in my pocket and go on with my day.

The kicker is that I actually shoot my LCP better than my LCR. The LCR is comfortable to shoot with a FANTASTIC trigger...but I get better groupings with the lil' LCP. Plus, I have 2 more rounds in the gun and it's faster to reload.

The trigger on the LCP is pretty crappy, but its what you have to live with if you want a safe pocket pistol with no external safety. The slide not locking back can be an issue too if you have any failures to fire. The light primer strikes I talked about sometimes happened on my last round. So always make sure you check and clear the gun after you drop the mag at the range.

The LCP is not a gun I would take into war. It's not a gun I would grab if I heard a bump in the night. However, it IS a gun I would be very thankful to have on my person if the SHTF and I found myself in the wrong place at the wrong time. "Beats a sharp stick" is a bit of a disservice to the .380 pocket pistol. It very MAY be your last ditch weapon, but as a last ditch I could think of MANY concealable weapons worse than 7 rounds of quality jhp .380.

lonewolf5347
January 2, 2013, 06:40 PM
I decided to buy the Ruger LCP about 9 months ago I think I made the right choice,I have ran all types of ammo threw it total now better then 500 rounds
I have shot PMC,Winchester,Magtech And Fiocchi the gun runs flawless no he-cups
I have not shot ammo like CorBon Remington
I carry the Fiocchi Dynamic 90 Gr HP as self defense ammo seem a little hotter then FMJ some reviews on this ammo is mixed but I think like any ammo a well place shot will stop any threat

txgunsuscg
January 2, 2013, 06:44 PM
Let's just say mine is up for sale elsewhere on this site...

I had multiple failures to feed and double feeds, and in general the gun was just too small for my big hands. I personally believe that most of my malfunctions were shooter induced with my thumbs causing issues with the slide cycling.

As for the trigger, its not great, but I've shot much worse. FWIW, I liked the LC9's trigger better. As far as accuracy, I found it to be a very accurate gun, especially for the size. At 3-5 yards, I could easily keep them within a 4 inch circle, and could keyhole them if I tried.

I carried it in a Fobus ankle holster, and I've literally worn it for 12+ hours without noticing.

Skribs
January 2, 2013, 06:57 PM
The sights are not too big of an issue, especially with some high-viz sight paint (I did red on the back, orange on the front).

My biggest complaints are basically the compromises. You know going in that it's a small, light pistol. The grip sucks, and it beats the smeg out of your hand when you're at the range. The sights aren't great. All of this serves to make something that will easily fit in your pocket.

I've had a few FTFs but overall it's good enough.

Rex B
January 2, 2013, 07:29 PM
I've been carrying a LCP for 2 years. Before that it was a P3AT, which I still have.
My habit when going to the range is to pull my pocket LCP and empty it, just as I would if I really needed it. Twice in the last year it has failed to fire that first round. Had to rack the slide. It was like I had not cycled the slide when I loaded it, yet a round was in the chamber.
Why do I still carry it? Because I believe a carry gun needs to be DA.
I have quite a few other small 380s - P238, Colts, Stars, llamas. I'll probably give one of them another try while I look for a revolver. A Taurus M85 ultralite in .327 would be about perfect.

heeler
January 2, 2013, 07:34 PM
Since I own two LCP's and my Brother owns one,all three flawless,I would really like to have an idea of the serial number ranges of the few LCP owners here who have said the ones they own have had issues with failure to feed etc.
I am not doubting these owners but practically everyone I know that owns one as well as internet forums has nothing but praise for how well they function.
I also pocket carry mine daily in a leather RKBA pocket holster and have never had the magazine disconnect.
Weird.

weblance
January 3, 2013, 01:00 AM
377-06xxx

weblance
January 3, 2013, 01:01 AM
Duplicate post. sorry

d-dogg
January 3, 2013, 07:02 AM
Just exactly how big a guy are you, txgunsuscg? Glove size please, if you know it. Curious how big is just too big for this gun. I haven't handled one yet.

heeler
January 3, 2013, 07:11 AM
Fwiw my reliable every day carry is serial 376-120xx.
My secondary and just as reliable LCP is 378-159xx.
First one was bought new on GB in August 2011 and the second, again on a GB auction,in July 2012.
Imho if your LCP is not 100% send it back to Prescott AZ. and get it working right.

d-dogg
January 3, 2013, 07:32 AM
I don't suppose there would be an LCP owner in the Fredericksburg or Spotsylvania, VA area who would take $20 to let me fire a couple of magazines through theirs? I belong to the range off Brock Rd. in Spotsylvania.

Would be interested in trying other pocket sized DA only 380s too. (unless someone has an SA with ambidextrous safety).

Thanks,

txgunsuscg
January 3, 2013, 03:41 PM
Just exactly how big a guy are you, txgunsuscg? Glove size please, if you know it. Curious how big is just too big for this gun. I haven't handled one yet.
I wear large to extra large depending on the cut of the glove. I'll see if I can get a pic of my grip on the LCP when I get home. For reference right now, here is a pic of my hand compared to a Smith 442.

Dreamliner787
January 3, 2013, 09:33 PM
It's a good small and reliable pocket gun, but the sights and trigger sucks. Went to the range with my friend and his LCP vs. the Sig P238 and the Sig won for getting the tightest groouping and target acquisition.

d-dogg
January 3, 2013, 11:00 PM
Update.

I got my hands on one tonight. Played with it for quite a while. Tried carrying it in front pocket, back pocket, shirt pocket, socks and waistband. Practiced drawing for all hiding places. With deference to all of you who had problems with the magazine accidentally ejecting, I simply don't see how, unless Ruger finally stiffened up the ejector button. I could not for the life of me made it accidentally eject.

Dry fired it a few times. Yes, it has a long trigger pull, but no worse than my P89. Observed that yes, the sights are next to useless, but I won't likely be using them.

Didn't feel the gun was too small for my hands, though I typically also wear a large to extra large glove (a size 11 actually, from back in the day when gloves and hats were actually made to fit).

Dealer made me a really good deal on it with a Laserlyte, so I brought it home. Will follow up Saturday afternoon when I have a chance to fire it at the range.

Thanks for all the well thought out and objective input!

ChopMeat
January 4, 2013, 11:23 AM
When I first got in to shooting and collecting guns, ruger was my first choice. Mostly on price and design. I have had problems with ever ruger I've owned. I don't knock them, they taught me a lot about firearms, with all the tweaking and parts I had to replace. From them I've learned the differences between average and excellent. I found most of my problems were with their magazines and the after market ones. Spend good money on your mags and everything is fine, short change the mags and your in trouble. I would never tell anyone not to buy a ruger, I just don't have anymore in my collection. I prefer sig, glock, and Springfield, but that's just me. Happy shooting and may your gun fire for ever for you.

Armybrat
January 4, 2013, 11:53 AM
Don't like the LCP because it's a bit harsh to shoot and the itty-bitty sights suck?

Then take a look at the brand new, just-announced (yesterday) Ruger LC380:

http://www.ruger.com/products/lc380/models.html

But I'm sticking with my LCP.

kokapelli
January 4, 2013, 01:00 PM
Don't like the LCP because it's a bit harsh to shoot and the itty-bitty sights suck?

Then take a look at the brand new, just-announced (yesterday) Ruger LC380:

http://www.ruger.com/products/lc380/models.html

But I'm sticking with my LCP.
The LC380 looks like it's just the LCR chambered for 380. If it is, what's the point?

If I'm going to have the same exact gun, I'd go with the 9mm version.

heeler
January 4, 2013, 01:14 PM
Perhaps Ruger is trying to make a 380 pistol that is more enjoyable to shoot.
Since we all know the LCP is not a range gun perhaps as far as 380 caliber goes this might be a better choice for range folks.
And I agree that at that size of gun I am going with my PM9 but the new Ruger still is sized for conceal carry for those who may be recoil sensitive and just want a bigger 380.

kokapelli
January 4, 2013, 01:17 PM
Perhaps Ruger is trying to make a 380 pistol that is more enjoyable to shoot.
Since we all know the LCP is not a range gun perhaps as far as 380 caliber goes this might be a better choice for range folks.
And I agree that at that size of gun I am going with my PM9 but the new Ruger still is sized for conceal carry for those who may be recoil sensitive and just want a bigger 380.
Good point and with the tilt barrel action it should have very soft felt recoil in 380.

d-dogg
January 5, 2013, 07:03 PM
Initial impression.

Sights as mentioned are useless. I'll try to paint the front. Gun seems to shoot low, but perhaps that is me not being used to its long trigger pull yet.

Trigger pull is long but smooth.

Fit in my hand not too bad.

Kick not bad at all considering how light the gun is.

I'm satisfied overall.

colorado_handgunner
January 7, 2013, 11:54 PM
I'm satisfied overall.

And that is the important thing. Enjoy your new gun. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Clark
January 8, 2013, 01:24 AM
I own my own weight in handguns, some nice big ones, but it is the miserable little guns I carry:

1) 50% of the time 380 Ruger LCP with laser with pocket holster DESANTIS M44BJG5Z0 for LCP with laser marked "G5". I carry 90 gr Gold Dot bullets loaded with Power Pistol to 1100 fps.
2) 25% of the time 380 Kel-Tec P3AT with pocket clip in shirt pocket or DESANTIS M44BJG3Z0 for P3AT marked "G3", same ammo as the LCP
3) 10% of the time 9mm Kel-Tec PF9 Hinterbergen 100gr +P+ ammo and the holster is:
DESANTIS M44BJMKZ0 for PF9 marked "MK"
4) 5% of the time S&W model 60 with commercial 158 gr JHP 38 sp ammo
5) 1% 357 mag
6) 1% 45 Super
7) 1% 44 mag on hip when standing around in the woods.
8) etc

22longrifleguy
January 8, 2013, 06:50 PM
The LCP is a very small gun with a horrible recoil. I would like to see one in .22LR, possibly one that is printed in plastic using a 3D printer.

Thoughts? www.22longrifle.blogspot.com

heeler
January 8, 2013, 07:56 PM
I find the recoil on the LCP a bit sharp but hardly horrible.
I can regularly shoot 50-75 rounds at the range without feeling totally put out and I am not a big guy with big hands.
On the other hand my experience with an air weight J frame in .38 Special to be intolerable to the point that I sold mine and will probably never own another one.

76shuvlinoff
January 8, 2013, 08:01 PM
I carry my LCP a lot, I have nearly 300 flawless rds thru it. The only work I did to it was add a Keltec pocket clip and a piece of bicycle inner tube around the grip. At the ranges it was intended for it points naturally for me and is accurate enough. I don't even look at the "sights". If I slow fire the trigger stages nicely.

I have bigger, harder hitting, ballistically superior options but the LCP is there for me when those are not. I don't kid myself either, this little pistol is for intimate defensive work not a long day at the range.

jon_in_wv
January 8, 2013, 08:17 PM
The LCP is surprisingly accurate. The only limitation is the poor sights. mechanically I would bet its more accurate than most here are capable of shooting. I had and LCP and sold it after I purchased a S&W BG380. The BG380 chamber is about 3 times thicker compared to the LCP at its thinnest point. At one point in the chamber the LCP is literally paper thin. I would NOT feel comfortable shooting any of the more powerful 380 ammo through an LCP. The BG380 also have much better sights, a better trigger, and really gives up nothing as far as conceal ability. The BG380 is also a pretty accurate little shooter and the better sights make it much easier to make use of it. Both can be comfortably shot on the range for extended sessions. There is quite a bit of advice on here I just don't think sounds like it is coming from people who have actually owned one or done much shooting with one. I think the LCP makes a great BUG, but for primary concealment the BG380 is much better in that class of pistol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_Ybql8mDbs

lonewolf5347
January 8, 2013, 11:09 PM
I just check the serail number 377-xxxxx I think it was made in 2012
I seem not to have any issue as far as sights ,the gun was design for a point and shoot gun for self defence by no means a target gun.I find the trigger pull is long but not heavy for me I see no difference if you were to shoot a S@W chief double action or the LCP

jigglyjames29
January 9, 2013, 05:57 PM
For those that hate the recoil, try the hogue LCP grip made specifically for the LCP AND a 13lb Wolf recoil spring.

helitack32f1
January 10, 2013, 03:00 AM
I never had a problem with the reliability or recoil of my LCP. Very nice little gun but I decided to get rid of it due to the fact that I bought it to use when I couldn't carry my Glock 23. After a couple of years I found that there really were no times that I couldn't carry my G23.

The final straw though was I let a buddy shoot it and asI was watching, i noticed he had to readjust his grip on the gun after every shot, just as I had to do. Even holding the gun, it feels as though it wants to roll forward in my hand. I sold it with the idea of buying a Taurus TCP which feels better to me or some other.380 but realized I just don't have any need for a .380.

As far as easy to shoot .380's go, my wife got a Walther PK380 for various reasons, and it is a very easy to shoot gun due to size and weight. The slide is extremely easy to rack which was a major selling point as my wife could no longer actuate the slide on her Glock 23, not to mention just about any other .380.

hemiram
January 10, 2013, 07:55 AM
I shot a friend's LCP and I wasn't impressed. It wasn't fun to shoot and I had to constantly readjust my grip. I already have what I consider the "king of .380's", the Beretta 84, and it's closed slide twin, the Browning BDA .380, both are a pleasure to shoot and I got both of them in nice shape for less than $300 each.

kokapelli
January 10, 2013, 09:18 AM
I shot a friend's LCP and I wasn't impressed. It wasn't fun to shoot and I had to constantly readjust my grip. I already have what I consider the "king of .380's", the Beretta 84, and it's closed slide twin, the Browning BDA .380, both are a pleasure to shoot and I got both of them in nice shape for less than $300 each.
Yes but try putting them into your pocket!

Houser52
January 10, 2013, 12:55 PM
A couple years ago OI bought a LCP and a Keltec P3AT.

Both were reliable but the LCP had a lot better fit and finish. The number one downside to the LCP was that it's slick, not grippy enough for my hands and I couldn't hold onto it.

Sold the LCP and kept the Keltec. I carry it daily in a Bear Creek Wallet holster.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd66/houser52/Holster001.jpg

heeler
January 10, 2013, 03:38 PM
Houser,my brother has been looking at one of those back pocket holsters and I was wondering if the pistol can be seen while carrying it in that mode.
That is a nice looking holster by the way.

leadchucker
January 10, 2013, 04:17 PM
I have a holster like that. Fits nicely in a front pocket. It will also fit in a rear pocket, but the gun isn't so easy to get to then.

The holster shows in the pocket. The beauty of a holster like that is that it appears to be a wallet.

460Kodiak
January 10, 2013, 04:22 PM
The fact that it is chambered in 380 maybe....... sorry jost ribbing.

Clark
January 11, 2013, 02:00 PM
The 380 in a bigger better case support pistol, I can do 1187 fps 158 gr and exceed the 357 mag for that barrel length.

But not in an LCP.
The most I can get out of an LCP is 1100 fps 90 gr Gold Dot.
And that is right on the edge.

Edge of what?
The case support in my LCP is at .270".
The only 380 I have seen that is worse is the Kel Tec P3AT at .290".

That really limits the power with hand loads.

CougarRed
June 2, 2013, 01:42 PM
For those that hate the recoil, try the hogue LCP grip made specifically for the LCP AND a 13lb Wolf recoil spring.

I understand this really tames the LCP. Combined these 2 upgrades cost about $25 with shipping.

I have not seen it mentioned in this thread, but Ruger upgraded the LCP trigger and sights for 2013. Here's a video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=512w9IerPZU)

The sights are now like the Rohrbaugh sights. And the trigger pull is shorter and breaks sooner. What the video does not show is that the Gen2 LCP hammer is more pre-cocked than the older model.

Gary A
June 3, 2013, 02:26 AM
CougarRed - I just skimmed through this whole thread wondering why no one mentioned that Ruger has now addressed two of the most common complaints with the LCP, the long trigger pull and the sights. I have an earlier model which I like quite a bit and just bought a "gen 2" (for want of a better name) but haven't had a chance to wring it out yet. Thanks for pointing out the new version. The changes are significant.

breakingcontact
June 3, 2013, 03:46 AM
LCP is a good gun.

Didn't know they made a gen 2.

CougarRed
June 3, 2013, 08:46 AM
CougarRed - I just skimmed through this whole thread wondering why no one mentioned that Ruger has now addressed two of the most common complaints with the LCP, the long trigger pull and the sights. I have an earlier model which I like quite a bit and just bought a "gen 2" (for want of a better name) but haven't had a chance to wring it out yet. Thanks for pointing out the new version. The changes are significant.

For some reason, Ruger is not advertising the changes. I'm not sure why - maybe they don't want to undercut their dealers who have the old stock.

I was deciding between a P380 or soon to be released CW380 vs a LCP, and during my research I learned about the LCP changes. It was enough to convince me to purchase the LCP.

I'm guessing Kahr offering the CW380 at or near the LCP price point caused Ruger to improve their product.

Gary A
June 3, 2013, 10:23 AM
Who knows? I might find I prefer the older version with its longer trigger though I do like the newer version and think (without having fired it yet) that it is an improvement. I think either version is a great choice for what the gun is designed to be. I have no problem shooting the original version effectively, which is why I chose it over other models.

marb4
June 3, 2013, 12:03 PM
I traded my Taurus TCP about a week or so ago for a new "Gen 2" LCP. My Taurus was 100% reliable however it had one fatal flaw that I couldn't get past. There are two distinct "clicks" when resetting the trigger after a shot. In rapid fire, if you attempt to press the trigger but have only made it past the 1st "click" the hammer will drop from the half cock position and its about a 50/50 proposition whether or not the round will fire. After this, if the round didnt fire, the trigger is completely dead until you manually rack the slide. This is normal for the TCP and is even discussed in the owner's manual. It happened to me a number of times when practicing rapid fire drills. Yes, training is important, but in the event I actually needed to defend my life I would hate to not fully reset the trigger between shots and have my pistol be out of the game so to speak. The LCP trigger will not go "dead" if you fail to fully reset. Thats the main reason I made the switch. After about 150 rounds through the LCP, its so far been flawless and the trigger and sights are more than adequate for close personal protection distances. As many others have mentioned, it is by no means a bullseye pistol but I can easily quickly dump a mag into a 6 inch circle at 5-7 yards. For its intended purpose, I think the "Gen 2" LCP is an excellent option.

jon_in_wv
June 3, 2013, 01:45 PM
I had an LCP and I wasn't wild about it until I put a couple hundred rounds through it. It is a really a more capable gun than it has any right to be. The only downside of the LCP in my opinion is the construction of the barrel at the chamber is really thin. I would stick to regular ammo like the Federal Hydrashoks or Gold Dots and leave the hotter stuff like Buffalo Bore to pistols with a sturdier construction. That being said, it is a great pistol for its purpose.

kokapelli
June 3, 2013, 02:03 PM
When I carried a P3AT which has a similar barrel to the LCP, I always carried it with Buffalo Bore so called +P ammo and shot a substantial amount of the BB ammo through it at the range and never had a problem with the barrel.

Also Clark who posts here frequently has fired a lot of his personal loadings that are higher pressure loads from a P3AT and to my knowledge has never had a problem with the barrel on his P3AT either.

Schwing
June 3, 2013, 02:19 PM
I have pocket carried the LCP and don't care for it. It is a personal preference though. It is reliable but, even with my small hands, I just can't seem to get a comfortable grip on it. I carry a PX4 now but, when I do feel the need to pocket carry, I traded the LCP for a Bersa Thunder .380. The trigger pull is lighter, the grip is just a hair longer and it is single and double action. I think the reliability of the LCP is better but I figure if i can't even hold it comfortably in my hands at the range, what chance do i have when my hands are shaking in an emergency?

CougarRed
June 3, 2013, 05:49 PM
I have pocket carried the LCP and don't care for it. It is a personal preference though. It is reliable but, even with my small hands, I just can't seem to get a comfortable grip on it.

This is a common complaint about small 380 pistols in general, and the 9 oz versions like the P3AT and LCP in particular.

I am awaiting delivery of an LCP. In my research, it appears many people find they like the gun better with the $10 Hogue grip. In addition, many write that an $8 recoil spring (rated at 12-13 pounds) makes the gun more comfortable to shoot. I have ordered both enhancements.

wgf
June 3, 2013, 07:36 PM
Instead of an extra magazine I have two LCPs.

Roadking Rider
June 3, 2013, 09:20 PM
Can't speak for the LCP, but the P3at has been a very good pistol. It's not a range toy or all that much fun to shoot, but it has been very reliable. I've CC mine mostly during the summer months for around 5 years and have not always treated it so nicely, but after about 800 rounds it still keeps working as good as the day I bought it.

orionengnr
June 3, 2013, 11:00 PM
I have owned two LCPs. Both were flawless performers. The newest ones have better sights and triggers, and I will own one of them soon. In the mean time, I have a Kahr CW380 on order.
Why not buy a Kel-tec?
Because I have owned four of them and they are crap. Opinion, based upon repeated experience.
The TCP would be a significant step up for a reasonable price.
Opinion, stated as fact. I'm sure you can find 100 posters who say that any Taurus is crap. I have not tried the TCP and have no desire to. It is a Taurus.

BTW, that is opinion as well...but is stated as such. See the difference?

When someone builds a better pocket .380 than the LCP, I'll buy one. I suspect the CW380 may be exactly that, but will wait until I can hold it, carry it and put 1000 rounds through it.

Clark
June 5, 2013, 03:56 PM
1) KEL-TEC P3AT
I carry the Kel-Tec P3AT 380 80% of the time. The most power I can get with handloads is the same as Buffalo Bore +P 90 gr claims: 1100 fps.
The big attraction is the clip that grips my jeans pocket like a pocket knife.

2) RUGER LCP
The slide mass are so close to the LCP that I feed them the same handloads.
The big attraction is the laser.
It is a little nicer gun than the P3AT.
I carry it with pocket holster DESANTIS M44BJG5Z0

3) KAHR P380
I carry the Kahr P380 10% of the time.
This is a little heavier, but much better spring and case support.
I use the same holster as the LCP.
It is a lot nicer gun than the above two.

4) KEL TEC PF9
The Kel Tec PF9 9mm is so small and light, it is as easy to carry as many 380s.
I carry it less than 1% of the time, but if you are going to visit a bad neighborhood,
it is good to take extra power.

ritepath
June 5, 2013, 11:21 PM
2009 LCP here with almost 700 rounds....it's been super solid performer. I have a reflective orange sticker on the front hump, and painted two thin lines on the rear sight.

jon_in_wv
June 6, 2013, 02:21 AM
Only 700 rounds since 2009?? Good lord man get out and shoot that thing. I put 500+ rounds through my LCP in the first couple weeks! Seriously though, I think the LCP can hold up to a little more practice and the more you shoot it the more confident you will be in its abilities as a defensive pistol. I know it changed my mind about it.

g_one
June 6, 2013, 10:35 AM
+1 for the Hogue LCP specific grip. It's a complete game changer as far as comfort is concerned, but it doesn't make it feel any bigger when you slip it into your pocket. I carry mine 24/7, if you count keeping it on the nightstand while sleeping carrying.

Trigger pull took some getting used to - I have larger hands and discovered that when I used the pad (fingerprint?) of my finger to pull the trigger back it felt better but I was less accurate. Switched to using the first knuckle and although it felt odd at first my accuracy at 7 yards was instantly improved, and by a lot.

Only modifications I will make (besides the hogue grip that is already on it) is to get it cerakoted later this year.

CougarRed
June 12, 2013, 08:28 PM
Here's my initial range report (http://rugerpistolforums.com/forums/general-lcp-discussion/18530-lcp-first-trip-range.html) for the Gen 2 LCP with improved sights and trigger. Before taking it to the range, I installed the Hogue grip and 13 pound recoil spring.

Synopsis: no failures, not painful to shoot. Some groupings:

http://imageshack.us/a/img545/9134/20130612140454.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img844/3503/20130612140307.jpg

Rugerspyderon
June 13, 2013, 10:27 PM
Love mine. I have lighter spring and hogue jr. Grip. It shoots well and accurately. It carries like a dream. I like Speer Gold Dot.

CougarRed
June 21, 2013, 05:09 PM
Now 260 rounds (4 different bullets) out of the box without a hiccup. I find I am most accurate with standard pressure Buffalo Bore 100 gr Flatnose Hardcast:

http://imageshack.us/a/img194/276/ov59.jpg

History.Doc
June 21, 2013, 11:31 PM
You definitely shoot about a million times better than me, that's for sure. I'm lucky to get a fist size group at seven yards.

Eb1
June 21, 2013, 11:35 PM
Bersa Thunder 380? Might be to big if you are use to the LCP.

Blackhawk30
June 23, 2013, 07:41 AM
Mag release button tends to rust and get sticky.Ruger really should make this gun in all stainless.

19-3Ben
June 23, 2013, 08:51 AM
Ruger really should make this gun in all stainless.

They are selling a bazillion of them just as they are, and the polymer frame they are using costs much less and requires less tooling.
I am a steel guy, and would buy one in a heartbeat if it were available in steel, but guys like us are rare. Ruger has no incentive at all to do it unfortunately.

Heck, I'm surprised that Kahr still maintains their steel lineup of the MK, K and T series guns!

kokapelli
June 23, 2013, 12:10 PM
Mag release button tends to rust and get sticky.Ruger really should make this gun in all stainless.
That would be a significant increase in weight and would increase felt recoil as well.

There are a number of all metal micro 380 pistols if you want one, like the P238, Micro Desert Eagle, Seecamp and the Rohrbaugh.

gym
June 23, 2013, 06:01 PM
Sold mine, it was reliable and inaccurate. That's the whole story, I felt I deserved better than owning nice guns at home, and carrying "that" to protect my life. My xds suits me just fine, or half a dozen other guns that most of us have or had.
If I can't carry it, I have no use for it any more. I will carry anything I own regaurdless of the cost. My life is worth it.

JoePfeiffer
June 24, 2013, 01:39 AM
That would be a significant increase in weight and would increase felt recoil as well.

There are a number of all metal micro 380 pistols if you want one, like the P238, Micro Desert Eagle, Seecamp and the Rohrbaugh.

I'm not clear on how it would increase felt recoil. Regardless, IMHO an LCP with the current polymer construction but the metal parts switched to stainless seems that much nicer.

sent using CPIP (see RFC 1149)

CougarRed
June 24, 2013, 03:06 AM
You definitely shoot about a million times better than me, that's for sure. I'm lucky to get a fist size group at seven yards.

Do you have one of the Gen 2 LCPs with the improved sights? If not, I have a big head start.

antiquus
June 24, 2013, 03:20 AM
I shot everything through mine, Fiocchi, WWB, Federal, Remington, S&B, and two varieties of Russian Crap. I carry Russian Crap in it, due to FMJ & Steel Jacket penetration, which is purty damn good in my 2x4 plus sand test.

Since the first 100 rounds, no malfunctions despite its varied diet.

kokapelli
June 24, 2013, 09:44 AM
I'm not clear on how it would increase felt recoil. Regardless, IMHO an LCP with the current polymer construction but the metal parts switched to stainless seems that much nicer.

sent using CPIP (see RFC 1149)
I have to admit that I don't have any scientific evidence that polymer framed guns have less felt recoil, it's just an observation I have made that when shooting similar sized and weight guns with polymer and metal frames, the polymer seems to absorb more recoil that the metal framed guns.

The only exception I have found is with the P238 which is much, much softer shooting than most of the other micro 380 pistols.

momano
June 24, 2013, 12:34 PM
Ruger should chamber the LCP in .22-- that would be a home run IMHO.
Since Jan 1, my first entry in this thread, my LCP has been flawless.

larryh1108
June 26, 2013, 10:39 PM
I have an original issue with more than 2k rounds thru it.
100% reliable. I did add the hogue grip and it tamed the recoil and kept it from torqueing in my XL, meaty hand. It is very accurate and the trigger is long but smooth. I've carried it for years and you forget you have it. I use a wallet holster and am very happy with it.

History.Doc
June 26, 2013, 11:21 PM
Today was my first shooting session since adding the hogue grip. Huge difference. Much nicer now. The takedown pin did come out while I was shooting. That was disconcerting.

RiverratMike
October 25, 2013, 02:59 AM
I got a LCP CT a few days ago but it only came with one mag. That's a new one for me. The retailer insisted this is the thing now. No hint of this on the Ruger website nor the mail order houses, etc. Anyone else? The mags only cost about 20 bucks each, however.
OBTW, I am using a Grip-It pocked holster (by Ultimate Concealed Carry). It fits around the gun so it can slide in and out of a blue jean rear pocked, no other holster needed. Also it has a square outline in your pocket.

sig228
October 25, 2013, 08:49 AM
RR, my LCP only came with one mag plus the finger extension.

PabloJ
October 25, 2013, 10:16 AM
Get the one with chromed slide to avoid easy oxidation on blackened one. If you can live with no slide held open after last shot the gun does not have shortcomings when one considers it's true purpose.

g_one
October 25, 2013, 02:47 PM
I love mine. I got it to replace my G26 which ended up being too wide to comfortably carry pocket/IWB. I've posted this in other threads but IMHO the hogue LCP grip completes the gun. It's specifically designed for the LCP, fits directly over the existing grip. It makes the gun fit in my palm perfectly, makes taking it to the range much more enjoyable, and actually made pulling the trigger not feel so bad.
http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=666_692&products_id=7331

tommy.duncan
October 25, 2013, 04:42 PM
My wife picked this pistol out and bought it. She has about 150 rounds through it (I might have 10 out of the 150 rounds). The piston has not had a problem yet. She has shot mostly Winchester white box. She also shot 2 mags on Remington Ultimate Defense JHP to see if they had any cycling problems. My only complaint is the slide does not lock back after the last fired round. Otherwise, it has been a good pistol.

dickydalton
November 24, 2013, 12:00 PM
I installed a Sweet Pea trigger, changed the springs and added the Hogue grip and my LCP is now a sweet shooter.

mgmorden
November 24, 2013, 04:07 PM
Mine is my my carried gun and is 100% reliable.

My only complaints would be: no last round hold-open, and the sights. I also wish that Ruger made a factory 9-round mag with a grip extension to give it a full grip if you wanted.

Kahr33556
November 24, 2013, 05:02 PM
Mine is 100 % reliable 400 + rounds.
Only problem was loading a golden saber 1 time,maybe I did something ? I now use hornady.
no sights,close defense gun.
Cheap reliable,small , carry anywhere.
I am looking to get the new CW380 to replace it only reason,sights

orionengnr
November 24, 2013, 07:25 PM
Why not buy a Kel-tec?
Well...having owned four of them (two P3ATs, one P32, one P11) none of which worked correctly, either before or after...:rolleyes:

Do you really want to ask that question?

Both of my LCPs functioned perfectly from round #1, regardless of whether I was shooting FMJ, JHP or my lead reloads.

dickydalton
November 24, 2013, 07:54 PM
I forgot that I bought a MAGGUTS magazine kit so now mines 7+1 and I am ordering more of those now that I know they feed reliably.:D

gym
November 24, 2013, 10:18 PM
Maybe it's just me, but a carry gun should have a few hundred rounds down range, several times per year, it it's an auto pistol. They should be fired every month several times , for at least 6 months until you see if the gun starts to have problems with Failure to fire, eject , feed, etc. Just because it worked the first time you ran a few rounds down range, doesn't mean that it will work a year form now, unless you stay on top of it.
Now if you carry a revolver, not so much, but they can fail also.
I have had good guns that suddenly stopped working after a great range session a few weeks prior, and others that had a broken part upon field stripping to clean it. Like I always say, they are machines and will fail at some point. I have had Glocks with broken recoil systems continue to fire until I broke them down to clean, "then parts fell out", same with the recoil assembly on a Springfield EMP.
Best thing you can do is to take your gun apart and clean it weather you shoot it or not. Just to check for problems. Then take a pencil with an eraser, and "with an empty gun", cock it and watch that pencil fly out of the barrel, "been doing that for decades, it will let you know that your gun will at least fire that first round. Some of them will fly across the room and others will just leave the barrel, that's ok as long as something happened.
It won't hurt your gun and it will put your mind at ease if you are one to worry about weather you assembled everything correctly, and everything is working.

kymarkh
November 24, 2013, 10:27 PM
Love the LCP - pocket carry has never been any easier - but find myself carrying larger pistols nowdays. It has become more of a backup pistol than a primary for me.

If I had to say anything negative about the LCP it would be that it is not very easy for me to shoot accurately past 7 to 10 yards. Sights are hard for me to see well.

Matthew Temkin
November 24, 2013, 11:59 PM
I have one---so far it has about 500 rounds through and it has always been 100% reliable.
I have the seven round mags which makes it easier to hang on to--a great CCW gun.

SeanSw
November 25, 2013, 02:31 PM
The only bad with the Ruger LCP .380 is that I liked the competition better. Side by side with the Taurus TCP the Taurus had shorter smoother trigger, slide lock, no mag disconnect safety, practically invisible loaded chamber indicator, and I had enough money leftover for two holsters and a spare mag. The Kel Tec and S&W Bodyguard felt bad by comparison. Sights are bad on all of them and I wasn't interested in a laser sight for a pocket gun.

Admittedly mine has had less than 100 rounds through it so far but if all continues like it has it will be money well spent. It is accurate and the trigger makes it easy to shoot for such a small gun. Mine is a later "D" model. I was simply shocked at how much better the trigger was compared to the other sub compacts.

horsemen61
November 25, 2013, 02:40 PM
That's why I went with a sig p238 yes a little more expensive but with factory night sights that work it locks open on the last round I am very happy

kokapelli
November 25, 2013, 03:55 PM
Congratulations you have what is clearly the best shooting pocket 380 there is.

Schwing
November 25, 2013, 04:32 PM
I have a 1st gen. My buddy has a 2nd gen. I hate mine. I love his. The difference in both the sights and trigger pull is very substantial. While I can do OK with my first gen. I can shoot much faster and more accurately with his.

TestPilot
November 25, 2013, 05:54 PM
Blued finish is a problem. It will not provide much protection from rust.

Sights suck, especially considering that similar size S&W Bodyguard have lot better sight.

Patocazador
November 25, 2013, 08:13 PM
post removed.

DM~
November 25, 2013, 09:25 PM
---deleted

C0untZer0
November 28, 2013, 02:24 PM
How many people compared the LCP side by side with the Kahr P380 and liked the LCP better?

Gary A
November 28, 2013, 05:14 PM
Tough comparison

Kahr KP380 Kp3833 MSRP: $649.00

Ruger LCP model 3701 MSRP: $379.00

Now the CW380 CW3833 MSRP: $419.00 would be more apples to apples.

giggitygiggity
November 28, 2013, 05:19 PM
I love my two LCP's. One has the Crimson Trace. One does not have the Crimson Trace. Both are super reliable. I don't care what others say... they are super accurate and 25 yard chest shots are easy so long as you know the fundamentals of shooting. The trigger pull is heavy, but that is by design as there is no manual safety. The sights aren't big, but if they made bigger sights, people would complain about them. It is designed to be a lightweight, compact pistol. It accomplishes that and has exceeded my expectations. As far as reliability, concealment, and accuracy, the LCP is still the standard in the gun world.

kokapelli
November 28, 2013, 05:25 PM
far as reliability, concealment, and accuracy, the LCP is still the standard in the gun world.
I haven't heard that before. What is it based on?

Omaha-BeenGlockin
November 28, 2013, 09:09 PM
Had one--played with it for about a month--then dumped it----just wasn't for me

C0untZer0
November 29, 2013, 12:02 PM
The CW380 just came out, but I'm going to assume the differences are like the differences between the PM9 and the CM9.

Or maybe a better question is - if price weren't a factor, would anyone chose the LCP over the Kahr P380 ?

Gary A
November 29, 2013, 01:11 PM
Or maybe a better question is - if price weren't a factor, would anyone chose the LCP over the Kahr P380 ?
I really don't know the answer to that and have no experience with the P380. I do remember when both guns were newer in the marketplace a lot of forum reports noting the reliability of the LCP and other forum reports of reliability problems with the P380 and multiple returns to the factory. Those issues, if real, may be long resolved, I don't know, but generally I would expect a gun which costs over 70% more than another to in all probability be considerably nicer and probably more desirable. Another factor is that some people, myself being one, much prefer a hammer-fired over a striker-fired pistol whether for sound or even irrational reasons.

My two favorite small 380s are the LCP and the Sig P238 so price is not the only criterion. The p380 certainly has much to recommend it.

Esoxchaser
November 29, 2013, 01:16 PM
Can't hit diddly with an LCP. My choices in .380 would be a P238 or S&W Bodyguard. I have the 238, but was pretty impressed with the Bodyguard when I played with it.

fxstchewy
November 30, 2013, 10:07 AM
My LCP has been fine so far, shoots good for SD distance kinda surprised me but i am not a big fan of .380

gym
November 30, 2013, 05:09 PM
Guys do you know why there are hundreds of small auto pistols made today? It's so you can spend your money trying to find the perfect one for you. There is always going to be a new one that for some reason we all have to try. Somehow it is going to do something that your old one didn't do. That's showbiz. If we all knew how many people have bought a hundred guns only to end up with one they had 10 or 40 years before, we could all save a lot of money. But that would be no fun.

SEE IT LIKE A NATIVE
November 30, 2013, 05:29 PM
Before you buy , check out the Beretta Picos! slimmer than any other smoother profile , slide locks open on last round ! Kevin

kokapelli
November 30, 2013, 07:27 PM
Before you buy , check out the Beretta Picos! slimmer than any other smoother profile , slide locks open on last round ! Kevin
The Pico is very intriguing but until it's been around longer, I don't think I would try it,
Especially after the early Nano problems.

Gary A
November 30, 2013, 08:40 PM
gym - that may be the best firearms post I've ever read. You've said it all!:)

Texron
December 1, 2013, 01:57 AM
Bought the Kahr CW380 last Saturday, but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, because of wet weather. I, also, have the LCP, so I will be able to compare them. My LCP has been completely reliable, but I won't about the CW380 until I put 200 rounds through it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger LCP 380 - the bad?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!