How Effective Has GOA Been for Us?

PDA

LubeckTech
January 1, 2013, 03:08 PM
I am an NRA and 2ND Amendment Foundation Member and am considering joining GOA. My concern is has GOA actually done anything like helped get legislation passed or helped with lawsuits?? Larry Pratt seems to be a vocal spokesman for our cause but he seems to be the orgainization's only employee as far as I have seen. A great deal of what I hear from him is NRA bashing - I understand his opinions but think he spends too much time on it. He is also a frequent guest of Alex Jones (www.infowars.com) I think Alex is a good source of news and admire his zeal but also believe him to be a couple rounds shy of a full magazine. Jones is in my opinion a "loose cannon" that tends to make freedom loving people of this country look bad at times.

Bottom line is would I be better giving a donation to NRA or 2A foundation or Joining GOA??

If you enjoyed reading about "How Effective Has GOA Been for Us?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LubeckTech
January 1, 2013, 03:09 PM
to the moderators;

If you feel this thread would be better in a different section please feel free to move it.

Hypnogator
January 1, 2013, 03:59 PM
Larry Pratt does seem to be getting in some face time with the national media nowadays. Six months ago, I'd have said the main purpose of GOA was to try to denigrate the NRA.

Still, right now I'd say your (and my) #1 priority would be to contribute money to the NRA ILA. They'll be the first line of defense against repressive new anti-gun legislation. If they fail, the top priority should be the SAF who'll have to fight the new legislation in the courts.

I'm not saying that the GOA hasn't helped by holding the NRA's feet to the fire, but the NRA is our first line of defense against the upcoming onslaught.

NaturalDefensiveRights
January 1, 2013, 07:52 PM
LubeckTech, you mentioned Infowars. Expect to be banned, or have this thread locked. Only THC is the authority on the RKBA. You're not going lose your guns - go back to sleep.

Jorg Nysgerrig
January 1, 2013, 08:15 PM
We will have to disagree about Alex Jones. I think you are being fair too charitable towards him. :) I might just be jaded as 99% of the threads the originate from something found on infowars end up being merely histrionic at best and just plan wrong other times. But, this thread isn't about infowars, so I guess we don't have to lock it. :)

Back to the original question, GOA seems to talk a good game, but when was the last time you saw a news article referring to the GOA blocking legislation, a politician cursing GOA for stopping "sensible" legislation, or saw GOA being skewered by any satire?

SAF has certainly been behind a lot of successful legislation. The NRA is certainly the loudest one out there. Lots of gun folks can tell you about what either one of those groups has been up to. I'm not sure that many can tell you what GOA has been up to. Looking at their website, I'm not sure I can tell you what they've done.

Ragnar Danneskjold
January 1, 2013, 08:18 PM
I think Alex is a good source of news

Well. There's the first problem.

Isaac-1
January 1, 2013, 08:31 PM
As I see it giving GOA $25 for membership can't hurt, if nothing else it will remind the NRA that there are a lot of us out here that are not really happy with the way they have been running things and might just keep them focused and not on the road to compromise. Having said that it is also important to give to the NRA at this point so that they will have the funds to fight the fight. Remember we are talking the price of a box of ammo and a small one at that.

hso
January 1, 2013, 08:43 PM
NRA, ILA, 2nd Amendment Foundation are the most effective organizations.

Don't neglect to look into your state organizations. Remember your Representatives and Senators come from your state and the state organizations may have a lot of influence with them.

Jones is in my opinion a "loose cannon" that tends to make freedom loving people of this country look bad at times.
That's an understatement. Too much of what he comes out with is easily disproved or so absurdly spun to be discrediting.

ApacheCoTodd
January 1, 2013, 08:55 PM
As long as divisive tactics are not aggressively used by either side, I'm supporting both. I believe one of the greatest effects of GOA is letting the NRA know that they are not the only option and the NRA's leaving some folk out to dry in the past really pumped the GOA. A fact not lost on the NRA.

Sam1911
January 1, 2013, 09:06 PM
It is ALWAYS good to have some elements of your movement appear to be "way out there on the fringe" agitating for an "extreme" point of view because that makes your primary force appear to be occupying a more central, "reasonable" position.

(We all know we really support the destruction of all gun control in this country, and would be for universal "Constitutional" CCW for every citizen, a machine gun in every closet, and "bring your gun to work and school" day -- but our main effort simply must be more politically cautious and mainstream than that.)

That also tends to keep the main organization "honest" by providing an outside avenue of comment on the main groups goals and actions.

It is important that the little pit bulls out on the wings don't actually hurt the main organization with their rhetoric, but a little trash talking of the "big guy" is always a tempting way to drum up membership dollars.

He is also a frequent guest of Alex Jones (www.infowars.com) I think Alex is a good source of news and admire his zeal but also believe him to be a couple rounds shy of a full magazine. Jones is in my opinion a "loose cannon" that tends to make freedom loving people of this country look bad at times. Unfortunately, it doesn't say ANYTHING good about GOA and Co. if they have to stoop to venues like infowars to get their message out.

A wise guy once said...
Remember boys and girls, Infowars is a government conspiracy to destroy the critical thinking skills of the nation's gun owners! You need a tinfoil hat to keep the government conspiracy from filling your head with the kind of ideas that make you want to go put on a tinfoil hat.

Jeff H
January 1, 2013, 09:44 PM
It is ALWAYS good to have some elements of your movement appear to be "way out there on the fringe" agitating for an "extreme" point of view because that makes your primary force appear to be occupying a more central, "reasonable" position.

God, I hope that is the reason the NRA keeps Ted around. I don't know this Alex guy, but if he is as bad as Ted (or worse), you are probably right saying he is a couple of rounds shy.

hso
January 1, 2013, 09:52 PM
I don't know this Alex guy,

You don't want to. He makes Nugent look good by comparison.

The fact is that anyone that uses infowars as their sole source of information isn't doing themselves or us any good. If you see it on infowars, research it own your own to get all the facts and form your own opinion instead of letting others think for you. Don't be lazy and don't be stupid by being lazy.

That goes for NRA, GOA or any other source of information as well.

gfpd707
January 1, 2013, 10:02 PM
This is going to make some people unhappy. The GOA is for people that for some reason do not like the NRA. Now I dont think the NRA is the best at everything but they are the best we have in Washington.

NaturalDefensiveRights
January 1, 2013, 10:50 PM
We will have to disagree about Alex Jones. I think you are being fair too charitable towards him. I might just be jaded as 99% of the threads the originate from something found on infowars end up being merely histrionic at best and just plan wrong other times. But, this thread isn't about infowars, so I guess we don't have to lock it

And yet, no THC moderator has ever shown that Infowars has been wrong about anything significant. I realize you guys have an agenda of lulling everyone to sleep, but it's becoming too obvious you're trying to constrain the discourse and stand down during either Feinstein's bill, the U.N. gun control treaty, or an Executive Order restricting firearms.

I will agree with you, that AJ can be histrionic, but that in itself, doesn't invalidate the information. We're not in kansas anymore people. Really, if you guys had any sense, you'd embrace AJ for his support of the second amendment. But like envious fools, oiling the skids of your own destruction, you cast ignorant aspersions toward giants you'll never be, just for a three second ego boost.

SilentScream
January 1, 2013, 11:19 PM
I don't necessarily think the NRA is the best thing we have in Washington merely the biggest, I think a lot of folks confuse that to a point. I think overall the GOA is a good thing as it makes a large organization like NRA think twice when contemplating too much of a compromised position.

alsaqr
January 1, 2013, 11:51 PM
The fact is that anyone that uses infowars as their sole source of information isn't doing themselves or us any good. If you see it on infowars, research it own your own to get all the facts and form your own opinion instead of letting others think for you. Don't be lazy and don't be stupid by being lazy.

Bingo.
Infowars is right in there with WND and Prison Planet. Alex Jones is a blithering idiot.

When it comes to political clout the GOA is not in the same league as the NRA.

https://www.opensecrets.org/industries/indus.php?ind=Q13

LubeckTech
January 2, 2013, 12:40 AM
Are there any other organizations on the national level that are helping to the point of being a part of??

Larry has mainly impressed me as a one man operation whose objective is to sell memberships and collect donations. His association with Jones is a major red flag that is why I started this thread. Alex IS an A#1 NUTJOB but he brings out many things that eventually are reported in conventional media much later. There is also a great amount of crap and bad "spin" which is also true of normal media outlets. It is too bad there is not someone out there with as much engergy but has a brain.

Jorg Nysgerrig
January 2, 2013, 01:04 AM
As I posted in another thread about GOA:

Before giving money to any organization, I like to see how much they get and where it goes:

http://990s.foundationcenter.org/990_pdf_archive/521/521256643/521256643_201012_990O.pdf

You might want to take a look at two other related organizations:
http://990s.foundationcenter.org/990_pdf_archive/521/521297380/521297380_201012_990.pdf
http://990s.foundationcenter.org/990_pdf_archive/942/942832298/942832298_201012_990O.pdf

Compare those numbers with the work they have done and decide if you think you'd be getting your money's worth.

LubeckTech
January 2, 2013, 01:08 AM
Jorg,

The links won't work For me.

runner55
January 2, 2013, 10:07 AM
I'm a member of both the NRA and GOA but a lifetime member of GOA because the organization doesn't compromise on firearms related issues like the NRA has in the past. Larry Pratt and company work hard to represent firearms owners. They have a smaller membership base but I prefer to leave the 'mine is bigger than yours' mentality out of it. If you go onto the GOA website, you can see their track record.

alsaqr
January 2, 2013, 10:20 AM
If you go onto the GOA website, you can see their track record.

Yep, thats the GOA track record according to GOA.

runner55
January 2, 2013, 10:26 AM
I can assure you that the record, according to GOA, is correct. I've been a member for 15 years and have seen the cause and affect.

Derek Zeanah
January 2, 2013, 10:49 AM
Larry Pratt and company work hard to represent firearms owners. They have a smaller membership base but I prefer to leave the 'mine is bigger than yours' mentality out of it. If you go onto the GOA website, you can see their track record.No organization is perfect.

A couple of voting cycles ago the GOA backed a candidate that wasn't as gun-friendly as his competition because he was better on pro-life issues. That's the reason I don't belong. The NRA isn't perfect either: they seem to believe that backing a non-RKBA candidate that's clearly going to win helps their record, which helps give future leverage.

In the end they're the ones we've got. I'd say NRA/NRA-ILA and SAF are the ones to back. There are a number of RKBA organizations out there that criticize the NRA and raise the level of alarm in their members, but don't do all that much at the end of the day.

Jorg Nysgerrig
January 2, 2013, 11:33 AM
LubeckTech, sorry about that. I fixed the links.

GEM
January 2, 2013, 11:44 AM
I recall GOA opposition to concealed carry laws in two states that I lived in. It occurred in others, IIRC. That wasn't useful.

CU74
January 2, 2013, 04:50 PM
Once was a GOA member/contributor. The more I learned, the more I disliked and I let my membership lapse. I'm a member of the NRA, SAF, CCRKBA and my state rifle association. I make contributions to the latter three.

RockyMtnTactical
January 3, 2013, 01:04 AM
NRA does a lot of work on the ground it seems. GOA does a fantastic job getting people to write their congressmen with the easy form letters. I like both organizations.

NRA is probably the best weapon we have. EVERYONE who owns a gun should be a member.

JohnKSa
January 3, 2013, 01:13 AM
...the main purpose of GOA was to try to denigrate the NRA.That's my take too.

Some organizations stand on their record of success.

Others seem to be primarily involved in explaining why other organizations aren't worth supporting in an attempt to redirect membership dollars.

I wouldn't discourage people who already support the truly effective organizations from joining organizations like GOA in addition to the ones they already support, but I wouldn't recommend that they join GOA instead of joining one of the more effective gun advocacy groups.

Weevil
January 3, 2013, 01:27 AM
Well one thing to ask yourself is this.

If the GOA suddenly disappeared how would it effect us in the coming political fight over a new AWB?

Now what if the NRA wasn't there?

Like them or agree with them 100% or not the NRA is our big dog in the fight, the GOA while more radical which appeals to some is small potatoes by comparison.

xfyrfiter
January 3, 2013, 04:00 PM
The NRA is the only gun rights org that has the ILA and not only should you join NRA, if possible, you should contribute to the ILA, that is the only moneys that get used for the 2nd fight. You can opt out of all paper except renewal notices at your request. I don't think you can stop GOA and their money requests, as they are always sending e-mails.,

LubeckTech
January 3, 2013, 04:24 PM
Does NSSF do much politically??

NaturalDefensiveRights
January 6, 2013, 07:48 PM
NRA's solution to school shootings is armed guards, not repealing CCW laws for schools. NRA supported the 1968 gun control act. Don't put all your eggs into one basket.

If you enjoyed reading about "How Effective Has GOA Been for Us?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!