Old Hickory skinning knife

PDA

MutinousDoug
January 1, 2013, 09:57 PM
Has anyone used the "new" Old Hickory skinner: QN716 ?
It's being advertised as having a thinner blade without the rollmark of the earlier offerings?
Any comment on the "improved" design?
I was pretty happy with the earlier, thicker skinner for slaughtering/butchering deer, sheep or goats when modified to the Nessmuk profile available on the internet a few years back. I'm trying to decide if a "thinner" blade compromises what was previously a good design.
TIA,

Doug

If you enjoyed reading about "Old Hickory skinning knife" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Deltaboy
January 2, 2013, 08:50 PM
I have a set from the 1960' s . You can find them used on E- Bay!

MutinousDoug
January 4, 2013, 11:02 PM
I don't see any current auctions of used OH skinners on ebay. Only the new, thinner blades.
Thanks though.

Deltaboy
January 5, 2013, 11:33 AM
Try estate and garage sales I have score some for $50 cents!

Deltaboy
January 20, 2013, 08:30 PM
There are some on EBay now.

MutinousDoug
January 20, 2013, 10:52 PM
There are some on EBay now.
Try estate and garage sales I have score some for $50 cents!
I have a set from the 1960' s . You can find them used on E- Bay!

Again: thank you, Deltaboy, but do any of your enthusiastic posts answer my original question with regard to a comparison between the new and previous Old Hickory skinner?

lemaymiami
January 21, 2013, 09:04 AM
You're probably going to run into some difficulty finding any "comparisons". Most of us that have Old Hickory blades have never been able to wear one out and unless you lose one, there's never a need for a newer blade. I currently only have one boning blade from them - it's way over 30 years old, still holds a fine edge, and in fact it gets used for lots of utility work and still is pretty much the same blade I bought all those years ago.... (and I'm talking rough utility work cutting through fishing rod grip material to prep old rods for complete re-builds as well as the standard fish cutting duties it was meant for). The only drawback to their blades I've ever found was that you can't let them anywhere near saltwater, so the Old Hickory stays in my shop and I use Forschners for on the water work.

Deltaboy
January 21, 2013, 11:00 PM
Sorry I missed your intent. The old ones are thicker and are high carbon steel and you can SHAVE a Hog with one. I have not handled a new one but the one I have seen on the bay are old ones. I have a modem OLD Hickory Pig sticker and it is a well built as DAD' s 60 year old one but it is about a 32 Second of an inch thinner in the middle.

If you enjoyed reading about "Old Hickory skinning knife" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!