still ogling high (hi?) standard pistols - a few more questions

PDA

anchorman
January 2, 2013, 01:09 AM
I really like the lines of the older model B pistols, but I'm leaning towards one with interchangeable barrels. Question for those who know these guns: what are the advantages/disadvantages of the various takedown styles?

I like the looks of the lever takedowns, both the GB/GD and the early sport kings. From what I have seen of the barrel mounts they look extremely robust, almost to the point of being over-engineered. The later pushbutton take down models have just a little post sticking down, which I'm sure is totally adequate to do the job, but it doesn't look as robust as the lever takedown barrel attachment points. Does anyone know if they switched styles because the newer style was more ergonomic or function more reliably/easily? Or did they change just because it was easier and cheaper to build? I imagine there are more current aftermarket parts for the later pushbutton takedown barrels?

If you enjoyed reading about "still ogling high (hi?) standard pistols - a few more questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ulflyer
January 3, 2013, 04:16 PM
Can't ans ur question about take downs as my experience is limited with the Hi-Standard.
Couple years ago I wanted an accurate 22 and got a Sport King (I think) that had the most incredibly nice trigger I've ever had in a pistol and the accuracy was fantastic. Only downside for me was ammo had to be LOW Velocity and it wasn't easy to come by.
I later sold it, reluctantly, for that reason. Upside is that the Company, reincarnated in TX, still makes essentially the same guns so you can get parts if ever needed.

1SOW
January 3, 2013, 05:15 PM
The later pushbutton take down models have just a little post sticking down, which I'm sure is totally adequate to do the job, but it doesn't look as robust as the lever takedown barrel attachment points. Does anyone know if they switched styles because the newer style was more ergonomic or function more reliably/easily? Or did they change just because it was easier and cheaper to build? I imagine there are more current aftermarket parts for the later pushbutton takedown barrels?

I bought and still shoot a H.S. Sharpshooter I purchased new in the early 1970s. It has the push-button bbl release and military grips. I had a trigger job done when I first bought it, and shot this gun in bullseye comp for several years and shoot it as a range gun now. It's remarkably accurate and reliable with Target/Std velocity ammunition. It doesn't like WIN or cheap bulk ammo of any kind.
The bbl takedown spring has never been replaced and still works perfectly. I call this robust considering the bazillion rds that have been run through the gun.
The ammo boxes shown were only used for storage of CCI Target rds not Rem. I made the gun box.

Friends with Victors and other push-button bbl models have never mentioned any trouble with the system. More info is available at: http://rimfirecentral.com/

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ugDS4vT2s_g/TtsHaQyaH-I/AAAAAAAAAow/L_LmWVanKZg/s640/S4300026.jpg

anchorman
January 3, 2013, 05:47 PM
that's a nice setup you've got. I just asked over at rimfire central to see if anyone else had any insights into the various model styles.

Dnaltrop
January 3, 2013, 06:11 PM
Admittedly I don't take the barrel off of the M frame very often, but that spring is a freakin' bear to overcome, I think you'd have to swap barrels every few minutes for a few years before you wore it out.

Not that I'd mind trying, but I haven't yet ordered a long barrel for the one we have here.

That trigger has spoiled the heck out of me as well. Practically have to think about firing and the gun puts a round where I want it.

And yes, that box setup you have up there is a beaut, 1SOW.

Furncliff
January 3, 2013, 08:14 PM
1SOW... nice box.

I have both the lever (Field King) and push button (Supermatic). I have no favorite both seem to work equally well. Really, really nice pistols, accurate, simple, well made. I recently bought a S&W 41 (1970's vintage), I hit better with it and I like it a lot, but it cost a bunch more too. It has a very different grip (larger) , the ladies in the family prefer the Hi Standards.

1SOW
January 4, 2013, 01:09 AM
Other than replacing the springs and the custom trigger and sear work, the gun is stock. Nothing has ever failed. I recently replaced the mag springs available at wolff springs/gunsprings.com.

Most of these pistols have one minor issue. There is no feed ramp, so the follower and mag lip opening is critical for proper feed. I have a simple tool I made for adjusting the mag lip separation front and rear that needs readjustment every few years. If the mag lips open up, it will jam; but it's easy to fix using a digital or mech. caliper and a tool to properly reform the mag lips to specs.

They aren't sprung for high power ammo, but can handle up to CCI mini-mag if the recoil spring is fresh. I wouldn't give it a steady diet of the mini-mags without installing a stronger spring. They do what they do very well. This pistol cost $112 brand NIB with two mags--still have the box and paperwork. Mags are still available from the Texas HS company that fit and look like the originals. I have 4 for Steel Challenge and occassional other action shooting comp. Wish they had mags with more capacity for these comps.

Furncliff, I'm jealous of that Smith---nice pistol. I have small hands, so this one served/serves well. Always wanted the HS Victor, but the full-length ramp seemed to cause more jams than with the open ejection port.

If you enjoyed reading about "still ogling high (hi?) standard pistols - a few more questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!