Best replacement for Charlton Heston?

PDA

2dogs
December 27, 2002, 02:42 PM
While possibly not being the best spokesperson for RKBA I think that he was an excellant choice as a personage to speak out on RKBA.

So I would like to know who has the notoriety and stature to replace him when the time comes and he steps down.

I've seen mentioned Tom Selleck (doesn't have the pro civil rights background of Heston), Ted Nugent (gravitas?), Sarah Michelle Geller (nice picture in another thread).

Any other reccomendations?

Sorry if this topic was covered before, but I can't search them all.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best replacement for Charlton Heston?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
2nd Amendment
December 27, 2002, 02:48 PM
I'm not sure about the need for "star power". This shouldn't be about someones face or personality. OTOH it seems that today an issue requires some "big name' to speak about it or nobody listens. If we're that addicted to the ramblings of 'stars" then we're probably doomed anyway.

Jim V
December 27, 2002, 02:58 PM
Someone that can think and speak "on his/her feet", and not depend on someone else's written speech/notes. Who is well versed in the question of "gun" control and knows facts that he/she can cite. Someone that speaks well and does not sound like either Elmer Fudd or Jethro.

pizzaaguy
December 27, 2002, 03:05 PM
How about Gerald McRaney(sp) from the
Simon & Simon series?:D

Schuey2002
December 27, 2002, 03:12 PM
Rich Lucibella.

Hey,I gave it a shot. :D

FLM
December 27, 2002, 03:15 PM
You want intelligent? Great debater? Dedicated to the Second Amendment? Allow me to present Alan Keyes.

BamBam
December 27, 2002, 03:19 PM
FLM, great suggestion.

Alan Keyes: He makes sense!

Schuey2002
December 27, 2002, 03:21 PM
Alan Keyes can debate with the best of them.;)

Jack T.
December 27, 2002, 03:27 PM
Man, wouldn't that make Jesse and Al mad. An educated black man who can think for himself in charge of the largest firearms organization in the nation. . .

Mike Irwin
December 27, 2002, 03:48 PM
Tom Seleck comes immediately to mind.

2dogs
December 27, 2002, 03:51 PM
Alan Keyes is a great debater (looked like he won every one of the Republican debates to me). However, his drawback may be his personality- let's face it there are a lot of folks who find him obnoxious (at least the liberals I know do). And there is a black man who is outspoken on gun rights, Roy Innis of C.O.R.E. and I think he is on the NRA board too- also his son Nigel is very well spoken.

But Charlton had a great combination of being a gifted (although scripted) orator, history of involvement in politics and social issues, definately had the "gravitas".

Maybe Ahnold?

Jim V

Good points- none of the spokesmen I see seem to really be that quick on their feet.

2nd Amendment

I agree we have become too enamored of "stars" and personality in this country- Oprahed and Rosied into a coma. However, someone like Charlton Heston did not seem to come across as one of the glitzoid media freaks like Alec Baldwin or Sean Penn. Maybe it was his age?

I dunno.

Slotback
December 27, 2002, 03:57 PM
Roy Innis would be an excellent one.

In fact, I believe that the NRA could help itself greatly if it picked someone who is black as it's titular head. Talk about putting the liberals in check.

QuickDraw
December 27, 2002, 04:04 PM
I would have to say Tom Selleck for star power and appeall,
but Ted Nuggent,man I love listening to that guy talk!He doesn't
even let the other guy breathe!:D
Never heard Tom Selleck speak oneway or the other.

QuickDraw

denfoote
December 27, 2002, 04:07 PM
Has anybody thought to ask Dr. Keyes?? He may not want to do it!! Is he even a member of the NRA???? These are questions that must be asked before you go and draft the man!!!
He would make an excellent President. I would have have to re-up then!!!

Porter Glockwell
December 27, 2002, 04:29 PM
James Earl Jones is a competitive long range .50 shooter and 2nd amendment supporter. Who could be a better NRA prez than Darth Vader? I can see the liberal political cartoonist's pencils working now.

Seriously, he has everything, African American, well-recognized, gifted orator and 2nd amendment supporter.

James Earl Jones for president.

Porter

telewinz
December 27, 2002, 05:10 PM
Arnold Schwarzenegger (The Terminator) he is Republican and its my understanding he may be running for political office soon. I will admit I have done no research on his political beliefs and I would also support Tom Selleck or any of the people mentioned.

ruger357
December 27, 2002, 05:13 PM
My vote would go for Tom Selleck.

Glock Glockler
December 27, 2002, 05:15 PM
I think we'd be best served if they selected a women all the soccer moms could easily relate to, and preferabely Black.

Condelezza Rice would be perfect, but she's kinda busy with other stuff right now.

Bear
December 27, 2002, 05:17 PM
Seems Darth Vader has shot his hollywood career in the foot. No shooters or conservatives see the light of day in hollywood anymore.

Bear

cuchulainn
December 27, 2002, 05:27 PM
Isn't Drew Carey pro-gun

As for Schwartzenegger:

http://www.youthradio.org/politics/021017_prop49.shtml

Schwartzenegger on guns:
And the movies, with the gun in my hand? I don't run around every day with a gun in my hand. So I want kids to understand the difference: one is make-believe, like we do in movies. But in reality, I'm for gun control. I'm a peace-loving guy. I hate violence amongst the young kids.

deej
December 27, 2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by telewinz
Arnold Schwarzenegger (The Terminator) he is Republican and its my understanding he may be running for political office soon. I will admit I have done no research on his political beliefs and I would also support Tom Selleck or any of the people mentioned.

Arnold is married to a KENNEDY, for god's sake. He's a wonderful RINO, but that's about it. Tell me how many grabbers you see on this list: http://www.joinarnold.com/EndorsementList.asp (from Prop 49, an Arnold-sponsored redistributionist tax grab.)

And if that isn't enough:

Like former Gov. Pete Wilson, Schwarzenegger is a fiscal conservative who is socially moderate. He is pro-choice and favors ``sensible'' gun control, including a ban on assault weapons. That could help him to attract Democrats and independents, whose support is crucial to winning statewide races.

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/bayarea/news/politics/4467260.htm

NRA needs an ideological pit bull out front, someone who isn't willing to compromise. Ideally the entire front office would match that as well, but I'm not holding my breath.

Heston was (is!) an excellent leader - erudite, well spoken, with impeccable civil rights credentials. And after Heston, NRA needs another celebrity up front - anything else will be viewed as a retreat. Nuge or Selleck would be my two top choices. That and $2 will buy you a cup of coffee, of course.

This (http://www.celebritywonder.com/html/tomselleck.html) page says that Selleck has stated he would be willing to take the job after Heston steps down. Maybe someone can come up with some source material for that.

DJ

Calamity Jane
December 27, 2002, 05:36 PM
I agree that too much emphasis is placed on the opinions of celebs.

However, if the NRA wants to go the "name recognition/celebrity" route again, Susan Howard would be a good choice. She seems quite down to earth, and if the NRA wants to represent the ever-growing, ever-changing contingency of gun-owners, choosing a female president could well be a smart move.

rock jock
December 27, 2002, 05:43 PM
I just want someone who will raise an AR over their head instead of a musket when crying "From my cold dead hands!"

J Miller
December 27, 2002, 05:47 PM
When I think of a new President for the NRA, I don't look at race, sex, or occupation. I think any person versed in the 2nd Amendment issues, and able to stand on their feet and go face to face with the liberal utopianists would be great.

If that were Alan Keyes or James Earl Jones or Tom Selleck it would make no difference. I believe Tom Selleck would make a good leader. He has shown great resistance to emotional outbursts such as what Rosie O'Donell pulled. By his not reacting to her, he showed her as the liberal witch she is.
As much as I like Sarah Michelle Geller, she isn't seasoned enough to take on this task. Maybe in 10 years or so, but not now.

I honestly don't know who I could nominate for this position, but I agree it should be someone who is stable and strong of mind and principle.

Walther P99
December 27, 2002, 05:53 PM
I think the NRA needs a high-profile (read well-known) person for pres., who's also well-respected not one of those spoiled stars who's always getting into trouble and buying their way out. I like the idea of Keyes, James Earl Jones, or Tom Selleck.

Nando Aqui
December 27, 2002, 06:04 PM
Why not Clint Eastwood?!?!

How's come nobody has 'nominated' good 'ol Dirty Harry (and much much more) for this 'right-up-his-alley' job?

Alex

Topgun
December 27, 2002, 07:55 PM
He whupped Heston good in "The Big Country."

;)

FLM
December 27, 2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Topgun
He whupped Heston good in "The Big Country."

;)

Nope, they fought to a draw. :)

Study Butte
December 27, 2002, 09:37 PM
I 2nd Ted Nugent.

hansolo
December 27, 2002, 09:51 PM
Mr. Goldie Hawn.....He's into hunting -- but, I temporarily forget his name("the Computor Wore Tennis Shoes")Kurt something...

I have a feeling that Dirty Harry isn't a big RKBA guy:confused:

John wayne would have been great!

johnhurd
December 27, 2002, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by rock jock
I just want someone who will raise an AR over their head instead of a musket when crying "From my cold dead hands!"

Amen and pass the ammunition!!!:cool:

SkunkApe
December 27, 2002, 10:19 PM
Hmmm. Interesting question.

As far as Tom Selleck goes, I was more than a little disappointed by his performance on the Rosie O'donnell show. I know he was "ambushed" and all, but I still think he could have put up a better defense. If one of you guys was in that situation, I doubt you'd sit there and take it like Selleck did. I'm sure most all of you guys can can put forward a strong pro-gun argument almost as quickly as you can punch out a bullseye. Apparently Selleck wasn't knowledgable enough about the Right to keep and bear Arms as he could be.

Concerning Ted Nugent, I'll tell you this: I'm from Michigan and more than a few people here consider him to be a bit of a braggart, and a little too much on the obnoxious side of the fence. He seems to get most of his support from the very young and the uneducated. The rest of us tolerate him because we can't afford to be too picky about our allies; they're few and far between. Its hard for me to imagine Nugent getting much respect in the intelletual circles. Can't you just picture our enemies showing the Cat Scratch Fever album cover when they mention the NRA? Should "whack 'em and stack 'em" be our new motto? Rock and roll, smoke a bowl, support the Second Amendment. Not a pretty picture.

I need to give the Alan Keyes idea some more thought. His strong religious fews may be too much for some to stomach.

Interesting topic. I'll keep thinking.

2nd Amendment
December 27, 2002, 10:28 PM
I don't believe I have ever heard Eastwood make a definite statement about RKBA. With his politics I could see him easily going either way. Hmmm, yet another interesting research project.

As for Selleck and his showing against Rosie, sure, most of us could probably have put up a decent fight but how would that appear in sound bytes afterwards? No, he probably handled in about as gentlemanly and professional a way as was possible under the circumstances.

AZTOY
December 27, 2002, 10:39 PM
Best replacement for Charlton Heston?

I want some one with the " balls " to hold up a AK-47 or AR over his head , not a old black power musket.

RustyHammer
December 28, 2002, 12:39 AM
Tom Selleck has a big following ... personally, I'd like to see George Bush, Sr.

DadOfThree
December 28, 2002, 01:05 AM
Scheuy2002,
Alan Keyes can debate with the best of them
No he can't. Generally when the "best" of them debate, they don't invite him.
;)
I would vote for Alan Keyes, James Earl Jones, or Tom Selleck but I think that if someone could talk Drew Carey into it, he would draw a lot of young people into the fight.

Lochaber
December 28, 2002, 01:18 AM
Bush senior???:confused:

Please tell me you were intoxicated when you wrote that! This is the same man that made the first step towards banning "assault weapons" and the guy that quit the NRA because they were to vocal when it came to Second when he thought they should be more concerned about duck hunting??

Dont get me wrong, there is a lot to like about Bush Sr, I do belive that his mistakes where those of his cabinet and political advisors, but I dont think the man should be allowed in the NRA building on general principle.

Loch

sm
December 28, 2002, 01:31 AM
Susan Howard
Tom Selleck

Anyone know the former Sen. Fred Thompson from TN position?
[played character parts in movies...Clancey's...etc.]

Pointman
December 28, 2002, 02:52 AM
Fred Thompson or Keyes sounds good.

Selleck doesn't seem that he'd take the initiative (or the heat) and go on the offense when the liberals start spouting their lies.

Maybe get Walter Williams away from George Mason U.?

Seah Hannity? That'd sure cork ole Colmes!

Neal Knox? Not enough "star power" but he has the right idea.

While I dearly love Heston I'll chime in with those that suggest someone outspoken and unafraid to go on the offensive is needed. Enough is enough.

Jim March
December 28, 2002, 03:03 AM
Drew Carey would be my first choice. Selleck would work out too, but he's a bit too "low key". James Earl Jones would be *excellent*.

For the record, Ted Nugent has never been "pro drugs" and has never so much as smoked pot. He has one strong positive going for him: he's well-known for both outstanding pro-self-defense sentiment AND he's wildly pro-hunting. In that sense, he might be able to "unify" two factions in the NRA membership that are sometimes at odds.

As much as I like him, he's not my top pick...I'd put him at a tie for third with Selleck.

Any of the four would be better than a non-name guy. The idea of having a celeb leader is now a proven positive - we get WAY more media attention that way and God knows we need it.

fivepaknh
December 28, 2002, 06:29 AM
Whether we agree with using a celebrity spokesperson or not, the bottom line is, it works. Unfortunately the sheep in this country will follow anyone with name/face recognition.

We need a spokesperson that can appeal to the widest number of Americans.

Ted Nugent can hold his own in a 2nd amendment debate, but he needs to play the game, be more articulate, and clean up his appearance. For the most part I think he would only get the attention of those already pro-gun.

Clint Eastwood, if he is actually pro-gun, doesn't present the image we need for our cause. The last thing we need is a Harry Callahan or Josey Wales image.

Drew Carey may draw the younger crowd, but as a comedian, he may not be taken seriously by the majority of Americans.

For me it's a toss up between James Earl Jones and Tom Selleck, but leaning towards Selleck.

James Earl Jones is well respected, articulate, and intelligent. It's obvious a black spokesperson could benefit or cause.

Tom Selleck comes across as intelligent and non-threatening. The fence sitters, which is who we need to win over, don't want to see a person who is threatening looking, to preach the benefits of gun ownership. Tom Selleck would also appeal to the ladies, who for the most part seem to be anti-gun. No offence to the female members of TFL/THR. He's no spring chicken, but he's considerably younger than James Earl Jones and may also draw the younger crowd.

A little off topic, but in the special features of the Conan the Barbarian DVD, James Earl Jones was asked how he liked working with the snakes. He made reference to how he had to catch and eat a snake in Ranger school. Does anyone know more about his military service? Was he just tabbed or did he serve in a Ranger bat?

RustyHammer
December 28, 2002, 07:53 AM
:p ;) :D Lochaber -- Just trying to stir things up a bit! :p ;) :D

ZekeLuvs1911
December 28, 2002, 07:56 AM
I think Tom Selleck or Ted Nugnet would be a great replacement. Both has their advantages and disadvantages but I would be well satisfied with either.

Cabby
December 28, 2002, 08:14 AM

Right on rock jock!

Holding up a musket only renforces the notion among liberals that the second amendment is of a time now past. We need someone who can articulate why the second amendment is relevant today.

I want to see James Earl Jones hold that .50 over his head and bellow "Molon Labe". Whohoo...that'd be a sight to make Sarah Brady's ears flap and her eyes spin.:D

Cabby

David Scott
December 28, 2002, 08:24 AM
What was the name of the CNN anchor who's also a CCW permit holder and tactical shooter? She's certainly accustomed to public speaking, and the CNN job would give her instant credibility as being up on the issues.

Okiecruffler
December 28, 2002, 09:11 AM
I think the man may be one of the most fierce guitarist to ever hoist an axe, but the media had a field day with Heston's "from my cold dead hands" speech. Can you imagine what they could do with "wang dang sweet poontang"?:eek: With Ted we would just be preaching to the choir. We need someone who can bring others into the flock so to speak. I haven't made my decision yet, but the media would have a hard time attacking Selleck or Jones. And I do think we need that celebrity recognition. It's how the Grabbers get their message across. It's the only think most of the sheep pay any attention to. It's what this country has become.:(

Lone_Gunman
December 28, 2002, 09:16 AM
I would support Tom Selleck. He is a nice guy, well known, and easy to recognize. He is low-key, and would not scare soccer moms.

Whether you like it or not, the NRA needs star power right now. Attention spans are too short these days to go with an unknown.

Bruce H
December 28, 2002, 09:52 AM
Does it really matter when Trent Lotts clone is in the number two position? Get rid of LaParrie first. Name recognition would be a helpful starter, but what they do after elected will be much more important.

Sean Smith
December 28, 2002, 10:14 AM
I can say what the next head of the NRA shouldn't be...

1. A racist, or maybe more significantly someone with a track record that can be reasonably construed as racist (e.g. Trent Lott).
2. Someone already written off as crazy (e.g. Ted Nugent).
3. Someone who was never taken seriously about anything (e.g. Ahnuld, Buffy).
4. A comedian (e.g. Drew Carey), since alot of people think the NRA is an evil joke anyway.

The ideal president of the NRA would be a well-spoken, accomplished, educated, intelligent and pleasant-looking WOMAN. Let her take the RKBA message to the vapid realm of soccer-mom broadcasting, make the leftist talking heads of the media look dumb, and just maybe convince the 5' tall women of the world that they need a gun alot more than the 6' tall men.

Hey, we can dream. :D

2nd Amendment
December 28, 2002, 11:17 AM
The more I read the more I am leaning towards James Earle. I have always liked the man, long before I knew his politics and can you imagine the opposition having to deal with that voice in a debate? :D

Frohickey
December 28, 2002, 12:03 PM
I just want someone who will raise an AR over their head instead of a musket when crying "From my cold dead hands!

That would have to be Jesse 'The Brain' Ventura... ex-Navy SEAL, ex-mayor, ex-Governor, and prefers to use a rifle patterned after the weapon he used in the Navy... the AR-15.

sm
December 28, 2002, 06:05 PM
Sean Smith : you gave the reason I have for a WOMAN.

Can you imagine the blank stares of the blissninnies If Susan Howard was televised with the Nun whom deer hunts (another thread)...blow some misconceptions for sure !

ninenot
December 28, 2002, 06:10 PM

You know, Heston's so GOOD that some people don't even see all they should see: the musket symbolizes the American Revolution: our freedom comes from that event.

Schuey2002
December 28, 2002, 06:23 PM
No he can't. Generally when the "best" of them debate, they don't invite him.
It was just my humble opinion. Not a statement of fact. ;) ;)

nygunguy
December 28, 2002, 07:03 PM
I hadn't thought of Dr. Keyes before now. I do believe that he'd be my first choice. I wonder if he'd be interested???

How about Zel Miller as a second choice?

sanchezero
December 28, 2002, 10:00 PM
OK, I'm admittedly not that hip to gun politics, but I can't believe this one slipped by...

SMG is pro-gun? Any info you guys can relate for me here? It seems so bizarre; no one on her show ever uses firearms unless they are evil. :confused:

Thanks...

gburner
December 28, 2002, 10:15 PM
Rick Schroeder...young, handsome, talented, well spoken and very 2A oriented. Could get him blackballed in Hollywood, though.

David Roberson
December 28, 2002, 10:19 PM
Eastwood professes to have libertarian political sentiments, but he's also stated flatly that he's anti-hunting. Not a good choice for the leader of the NRA.

Selleck would be good, but I suspect he's young enough that he probably wouldn't want to endure the career damage that would ensue.

James Earl Jones would be my first choice.

armabill
December 28, 2002, 11:02 PM
Walter Williams or Tom Selleck.

Butch
December 28, 2002, 11:19 PM
Take a close look at Hank Williams jr. He is as progun as they get, He can argue a fence post into the ground, & he is a big name. What most people don't know about him is that he is also an extremly knowlegeable historian and 2nd amendment afficanado. :D

Preacherman
December 28, 2002, 11:19 PM
If some of you would prefer to see a woman in the position, how about Ann Coulter?

twoballcane
December 28, 2002, 11:21 PM
James Earl Jones,with a presense and voice that makes the ground shake!

mack
December 28, 2002, 11:53 PM
Hmmm, never knew that James Earl Jones was pro-RKBA. But he would have alot of potential, barring any unknown skeletons in his closet. He speaks well, has great presence, and is still fairly famous. Also, being African-American he could give the liberal media fits as they will not be able to easily tar him with the white/male/gunnut label. He could also effectively make the point that the RKBA is a civil rights matter.

Tom Selleck would still be a good choice as he has greater star power and appeals to women. Hope that web-site is right about him being willing to serve as NRA president.

Unfortunately it looks like the powers that be at the NRA have decided to give the office to Kane Robinson - who may be a great guy - but who does not have the media presence of a Heston, Selleck, Jones, or Keyes.

I too would like to see Keyes as NRA president, but I don't think he would do it and I don't think he would play well with the rest of the organization, he can be a bit of a loose cannon, and I don't think he would allow himself to be held back from expressing his views on many other issues other than the RKBA. I think the NRA would find itself responding to Keyes strong views on many hot button social and political issues, like abortion. Therefore as much as I love Keyes, I don't believe he would make a good NRA president. (But if you ever get the chance, watch his debate with Dershowitz on the role of religion on C-span, he positively mops the floor with him, it is worth the price of the tape too).

2dogs
December 28, 2002, 11:57 PM
Just found these links, may pique your interest.:)

www.proguncelebrities.com

(www.proguncelebrities.com)www.nrawinningteam.com/9911/malone.html

Jim March
December 29, 2002, 12:07 AM
Here's a funky possibility:

Charlie Daniels?

Calamity Jane
December 29, 2002, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Jim March
Here's a funky possibility:

Charlie Daniels?

Now, honest to goodness, that would be pretty cool! :D

David Scott
December 29, 2002, 06:20 AM
Ann Coulter is too in-your-face, she'd never have the patience for the politics. There's been some good suggestions here, and here's another: The Mandrell Sisters as co-Presidents. They all shoot, and Irlene is spokesperson for the Glock Shooting Sports Foundation.

Of course, we've mentioned quite a few musicians, so why not organize a 2nd Amendment concert? Sort of like Live Aid for Gun Rights! Charlie Daniels could sing "In America", and Hank Jr. could holler, "Are you ready for some SHOOTING?" Each performer could write one new song on the RKBA theme, and sales of the CD would fund NRA legislative actions.

TonyB
December 29, 2002, 09:18 AM
I love it!!!!

johnhurd
December 29, 2002, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by 2dogs
Just found these links, may pique your interest.:)

[URL=www.proguncelebrities.com]www.proguncelebrities.com

I just love the first male listed in the proguncelebrities.com site :p and Kurt Cobain :D someone needs to take a reality pill

2dogs
December 29, 2002, 10:10 AM
and Kurt Cobain someone needs to take a reality pill

johnhurd

Well obviously Cobain was pro gun. Could have used a little brushing up on his gun safety instruction though................;)

johnhurd
December 29, 2002, 10:18 AM
Maybe the DC snipers sould be added :(

OF
December 29, 2002, 10:36 AM
If a celeb is required, James Earl Jones is the only one I've heard so far that I could get behind (if he's ideologically sound, of course). At first glance, he fits my idea of a choice figurehead: he's stately, intelligent and well-spoken, respectable, recognizable and (as far as I can see) unassailable. He has a famous voice that can be both soothing and menacing.

The NRA needs to continue to try to shake the 'old-boy's club' redneck image. The truth needs to come out: NRA is a vitally important American civil-rights org, and the foremost firearm safety and education org in the world as well. People need to know that. We need concerted, well-run media campaigns to secure the 2nd in the minds of the sheep as a civil-rights issue, and the NRA as their voice. We need to do less preaching to the choir and be more pro-active and think long-range. If a celeb as figurehead helps that effort, then that's great.

As much as I like the Nuge, that's the wrong direction. He's a great board member, and a fantastic ally. I just don't see him as the big cheese.

- Gabe

OF
December 29, 2002, 10:40 AM
‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’

— James Earl Jones, ActorSounds like a Good Guy™ to me :)

MuzzleBlast
December 29, 2002, 10:43 AM
I realize she's a little busy with the whole National Security Advisor thing, but can you imagine having an articulate, confident, strong young SISTAH as pres of the NRA? :cool:

Cougar
December 29, 2002, 11:02 AM
If it is star, ex-politico, or celebrity power you're looking for our RKBA figurehead, how 'bout:

Male: James Earl Jones
Tom Selleck
Alan Keyes
Fred Dalton Thomson
Mel Gibson
Hank Williams Jr.
Gerald MacRaney

Female: Condi Rice
Susanne Gratia-Hupp
Paxton Quigley
Susan Howard
Leslie Easterbrook
Louise Mandrell

xjer
December 29, 2002, 11:09 AM
I like the previous suggestions of Fred Thompson and
Rick Schroeder. Rick might appeal to the younger generation.
I have heard a few comments about Heston from teenagers
"isint that Moses":D

We need someone who will support the Whole constitution
not just the 2nd. As I have read here, the 9th and 10th
amendments are already gone.

Mike

deej
December 29, 2002, 03:13 PM
How could I have forgotten Ben Stein?

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2002/1223/225.html

DJ

RANash
December 29, 2002, 03:47 PM
James Earl Jones would be ideal. Fred Thompson would be good.

Jim March
December 29, 2002, 09:54 PM
Ben Stein? Now that'd be weird, but possibly very effective!

Condi Rice would be great, 'cept we still need her in politics. She'll make a great VP and possibly Prez one day. As VP she'll just detonate the ongoing Dem claims of "racist Republicans". She's more valuable to us in the public sector.

SkunkApe
December 30, 2002, 12:18 AM
What about P.J. O'Rourke?

six 4 sure
December 30, 2002, 09:54 AM
I always seem to get to these discussions late.

I know I'm not going to spell his name right, I heard that JIM SCOUTTEN, the host of American Shooter, is considering running for Pres.

Six

Roadrunner
December 30, 2002, 01:18 PM
Unless Charlton Heston's health has deteriorated over the holiday, isn't this discussion a little premature? I would hate to have him think we're all counting the days until he is replaced.

Elkslayer
December 30, 2002, 01:40 PM
If you really want to get people upset,,,

How about Dr. Laura

Or Rush?? :D

Jim March
December 30, 2002, 02:26 PM
Please GOD no not Dr. Laura. Yes, she's actually turned around on guns. But on other personal freedom issues? (SHUDDER!)

Roadrunner: I assume you're aware that Mr. Heston has come down with Altzheimers? He's already said he's going to serve out his current one-year term and then retire as NRA Prez. So that's only 3 or 4 more months he'll be in office.

This discussion is NOT premature.

Jim March
December 30, 2002, 02:35 PM
As to Rush, there's nothing "wrong" with him, except that in order to unify the gun-rights movement, the NRA cannot get publicly involved in too many other issues. The President of the NRA *is* the NRA, to a large degree. And Rush has his nose involved in more or less EVERY issue, therefore it wouldn't work out.

This isn't a slam on Rush, it's simply the nature of what he does. It doesn't fit with the mission of NRA Prez.

Same thinking applied to Dr. Laura, 'cept in her case I think the situation is far worse.

Rush is useful where he is now. So is Dr. Laura, come to think: her audience is actually quite "sheeple-ish" and whatever else I may think of her, she actually does dribble some pro-gun stuff at that audience in small doses (about all they can take).

Russ
December 30, 2002, 02:54 PM
Selleck. The women still drool over him!

Viking6
December 30, 2002, 03:10 PM
I seem to recall that James Earl Jones has a stuttering problem when he's not acting from a script a' la Mel Tillis. This might pose a problem on Sunday Morning Talk Show give and take. There's JC Watts? Or, Stormin' Norman Schwartzkopf (sp) ? Or better yet, Eric Cartmann?

moa
December 30, 2002, 03:13 PM
How about former Congressman from Georgia, Bob Barr. I think he was also a former Federal prosecutor. He was one of the leading, conservative Republican Congressional spokespersons.

He is big on the 2nd Amendment and the rest of the BOR.

He is well spoken and a good debater. I have seen him many times on TV debating some leftie politician or newsperson. He can more than hold his own.

moa
December 30, 2002, 03:20 PM
Viking6, as far as I can tell, James Earl Jones long ago defeated his stammering problem. I just saw him in a TV interview last Saturday. He also has pretty good sense of humor.

Viking6
December 30, 2002, 03:28 PM
Point taken, moa. He does have that presence both visual and audio.

Russ
December 30, 2002, 04:53 PM
pizzaguy,

Isn't McRainey a flaming anti gun liberal in real life? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Russ

If you enjoyed reading about "Best replacement for Charlton Heston?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!